PDA

View Full Version : Sun Java Desktop

footballmad
03-08-2004, 02:22 PM
As the title says I waould like your opinions if you have used this and if it's any good.

I have a mate who asked me if I could get this for them and when I looked on their site (http://wwws.sun.com/software/javadesktopsystem/) I thought that it looks interesting.

Does anyone know where I could get this?

I tried on Kazaa but couldn't find it.

Any ideas people? B)

Thanks.

Izagaia
03-08-2004, 04:29 PM
This is a relatively new application. I am guessing that the number of available sources will be alittle low.

IMO, the edonkey network is a much, much better source for finding software. Download EDonkey,EMule or Overnet and see where that gets you. Or as an alternative, while I have never used it myself but hear good things of, you may want to look into bitorrent if you find it among one of the many torrent sites out there.

Kazaa is good for music and perhaps prOn, however there seems to be an increase in the number of corrupted software titles or files that contain malicious content. Hence, as a preference, I been using Overnetlite and have found good download speeds and a decent selection of rare and popular software files. :D

ilw
03-08-2004, 05:02 PM
its definitely on the edonkey/emule network so i'd recommend that as well

shn
03-08-2004, 07:26 PM
The Java Desktop System is a comprehensive, secure, highly-affordable enterprise desktop solution that consists of a fully integrated client environment based on open source components and industry standards, including a GNOME desktop environment, StarOffice Office Productivity Suite, Mozilla browser, Evolution mail and calendar, Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE platform) and a Linux operating system

You do know this is Linux right?

gildan2020
03-08-2004, 07:36 PM
it's actually a linux distro? :huh:
i thought that os is built from scratch :blink:

Izagaia
03-08-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by shn@8 March 2004 - 14:26

The Java Desktop System is a comprehensive, secure, highly-affordable enterprise desktop solution that consists of a fully integrated client environment based on open source components and industry standards, including a GNOME desktop environment, StarOffice Office Productivity Suite, Mozilla browser, Evolution mail and calendar, Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition (J2SE platform) and a Linux operating system

You do know this is Linux right?
:blink:

Well, I guess you can't argue with something making perfect sense.

You need your own AM radio talk show. "shn komando- linux digital goddess". :D

footballmad
03-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks for your replies.

@ Izagaia, Yeah I know that Kazaa is pretty crap these days for programs.

@ shn, I saw on their site that it's a linux operating system and read some of your posts on Linux. It's something I wanted to try for a while and this looked like a good place to start.

What do you think? (without starting a flame war as to which distro is best)

4play
03-08-2004, 09:44 PM
it is not a linux distro it is just a desktop as far as i know.

you would probably be able to install and run this on any linux distro.

shn
03-08-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by footballmad@8 March 2004 - 15:40
Thanks for your replies.

@ Izagaia, Yeah I know that Kazaa is pretty crap these days for programs.

@ shn, I saw on their site that it's a linux operating system and read some of your posts on Linux. It's something I wanted to try for a while and this looked like a good place to start.

What do you think?  (without starting a flame war as to which distro is best)
http://wwws.sun.com/software/javadesktopsy.../get/index.html (http://wwws.sun.com/software/javadesktopsystem/get/index.html)