PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Rar Archive...

Izagaia
03-08-2004, 09:09 PM
http://www.filedonkey.com/file/2edd749c18c...fe5ac0a128cb/en (http://www.filedonkey.com/file/2edd749c18c4f4abe88afe5ac0a128cb/en)

:frusty:

Is there anyone out there with a "uber-powerful" (or even semi-powerful) machine that could run this baby through some sort of RAR archive password cracker?

Every attempt to do so with my system ends up with the cracking software just plain "giving-out". My machine just weeps at it with the CPU running at 90-100% and ram module smoking. This is one of those files that are just too damn curious to not know what is in. :drool:

quiksilver_aus
03-08-2004, 09:11 PM
which program do you use to try the different passwords?

Izagaia
03-08-2004, 09:24 PM
"RAR Password Cracker" v4.11 & "Advanced Archive Password Recovery v2.20".

I have been setting it for "brute force" attacks using 4-8 lowercase characters (no numerals).

shn
03-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Izagaia@8 March 2004 - 15:24
"RAR Password Cracker" v4.11 & "Advanced Archive Password Recovery v2.20".

I have been setting it for "brute force" attacks using 4-8 lowercase characters (no numerals).
Brute force should be used as a last alternative. It exaust all remedies. A typical brute force can last upwards of a million years.

Basically in order for brute force to work efficently you have to have bits and pieces of the password already or else there will be no sense in running through all thoose algorithms.

A command line utility would work much faster but try a more simpler penetration method. :)

Izagaia
03-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by shn@9 March 2004 - 06:01
A typical brute force can last upwards of a million years.

A command line utility would work much faster but try a more simpler penetration method.  :)
Oh yes- tell me about it. My machine just "gives up" on the damnable thing after a few days with the program shutting itself down on error. And while running, my CPU use is at a constant 100%.

Is there a utility, you are aware of, that you personally would recommend or should I just plug away in a Google search engine? And I am guessing that would make dictionary files a better route to go once I do find something? Know of any good sites for this? :)

h1
03-09-2004, 08:00 PM
RAR uses Rijndael-256 now, so even an 8-character bruteforce will require upwards of a million years with today's hardware. Use RPC, but get a good dictionary.