PDA

View Full Version : At Start Up

the mask
03-09-2004, 02:53 PM
hi, i have win xp, and i would like to know which programs are not needed at start-up. i know you wont know exactly what i have, but i can assume there are some programs which we all have that dont need to start at start-up. also as far as i know you have to type msconfig in the run box, and then what do i do if i want to disable some programs at start up. thank you

fred devliegher
03-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Run->msconfig->startup tab->uncheck

- DON'T uncheck anything Windows-related
- ONLY uncheck programs you are 100% sure of you don't need. If in doubt , don't.

=> This might be useful. (http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm)

ck-uk
03-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Goto control panael mate ,admintools ,services,then right click ,properties ,disable these on start-up.Copy/pasted from a text file i keep for when i install windows.

Alerter
Application Layer Gateway Service,
Application Management
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer
Clipbook
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Distributed Transaction Coordinater
Error Reporting Service
Fast User Switching Compatibility
IMAPI CD-Burning
Indexing Service
IPSEC Services
Messenger
Net Logon
Net Meeting
Help and support
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Portable Media Serial Number
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Desktop Sharing
Remote Registry
Secondary Logon
Smartcard
SSDP Discovery Service
Telnet
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
System restore(i dont use..i image my system every few days so theres no need for it)

:)

the mask
03-09-2004, 04:55 PM
ok, thank you, that link you posted fred, where can i get 'the ultimate troublshooter' from looked on overnet and no luck, or is there another program similar to that. i have lots of programs running in the background that i dont need and can be erased but some of them im finding hard to find and erase :angry:

DarthInsinuate
03-09-2004, 06:15 PM
this site (http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php) is a very good guide to almost anything you could possibly have in your startup

and if you want to tinker with the services.msc this (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) is a good guide to which you should disable

the mask
03-09-2004, 10:57 PM
the stuff that has been posted here is really helpful. ok i have disabled quite a few things now, not that it seems to make a difference that i can see, but i am sure i have disabled a process which remebers your passwords or has something to do with passwords, when i was disabling this process i read a little bit of its description, i now cant log onto things on the net where i had the password remembered and i cant even find which process it was that i disabled concerneing passwords, i hope you can tell me the name of this process so i can enable it because i am going mad trying to find the dam thing :angry: :angry: :angry: :helpsmile:

DarthInsinuate
03-10-2004, 01:22 AM
did use the settings in the "safe" column? - if you did try setting everything to the "default" column, i didn't have any problems with the safe settings myself :(

Nightwolf
03-10-2004, 03:44 AM
Protected Storage Service should be set to Automatic to remember your passwords.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/protected_storage.htm

the mask
03-10-2004, 06:27 AM
thank you all, it was protected storage settings, i had it disabled, but i actually want it enabled which i have done now. and to darth, yes i did all the 'safe' settings only. i think this info should be readily available to everyone, i think its very important. oh just to ask, but when i bring up my task manager and in 'processes' there are things what i dont want how do i delete those completely, for example, i have a registration reminder for my printer which loads up and is ready to remind me to register in 2 weeks how can i erase that completely? REMIND32.EXE

Nightwolf
03-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Run msconfig, click on the Startup tab, and uncheck everything you don't think you need. Restart your PC to make sure everything still works right. If you want to completely remove those unchecked items so you can go back to Normal Startup, do this...

Start/Run/Regedit

For items that were in the Start menu, Programs, Startup folder:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder. You'll find a subkey for each disabled item.

For items loaded from the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg. You'll find a subkey for each disabled item.

Before you delete anything in Regedit you might want to use File - Export to save each key to a .reg file so you can easily restore them if you have to.