PDA

View Full Version : Sun Java Prob

CocoColaNut
03-09-2004, 06:58 PM
I've installed the latest version of Sun Java along with the "VM", I've had problems
since. My OS is Windows XP. Everytime I start up, keep getting errors that "Sun Java can't connect and will close". Noticed that my Internet connections are sluggish, even though I have a cable modem and it didn't happen before. Checked faq's, downloads... didn't seem to find anything. Can someone help me with a patch link maybe... or do I need to reinstall it (aggaaaiiinn).
Thanks

zapjb
03-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Do you have M$ VM installed as well as Java RTE? If so that could be your problem. I have both installed but M$ VM is exclusively used in IE6 only. And Java RTE is used in only Opera (maybe FireFox as well not sure). What I'm saying is maybe both M$ VM & Java RTE are trying to access the browser you're using at the same time.
Simplest would be to uninstall Java RTE. Then reinstall it. But during setup don't give it permission to be used for IE6.

CocoColaNut
03-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks Zap, I'll try it. ;)

firefox
03-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Go to tools then internet options, go to the advanced tab and scroll down to the sun java and take the check marks out of that and leave only the microsoft one enabled or vice versa, only use one, then restart your browser see how that does.

zapjb
03-09-2004, 08:24 PM
That's much easier sounding firefox.

CocoColaNut
03-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks, I fixed it... :) Connections are much better! One of the problems is that if you need to uninstall and reinstall Windows xp,
they don't include their "VM" (Virtual Machine) in their updates anymore, which is kinda stupid because a lot of programs still require it.. so you have to install Sun Java.

shn
03-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by CocoColaNut@11 March 2004 - 09:47
Thanks, I fixed it...  :)  Connections are much better!  One of the problems is that if you need to uninstall and reinstall Windows xp,
they don't include their "VM" (Virtual Machine) in their updates anymore, which is kinda stupid because a lot of programs still require it.. so you have to install Sun Java.
Sun Java is better anyway. :)

Microsoft had to remove the vm because of litigation.

4play
03-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by shn
Microsoft had to remove the vm because of litigation.

microsoft removed it because sun claimed it was a watered down version of java. which they hold the copyrights to.

the sun java one is better but it can take some time to load which makes my browser hang for a few secs everytime i go to a page with a applet on.

shn
03-11-2004, 09:18 PM
I'm sure Sun is not complaining. They got 20 million out the whole ordeal.