PDA

View Full Version : Playing Ripped Dvd Files On Harddrive?

newcombe6
03-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Had a look through old messages, and this doesnt seem to be answered, can anyone help?

I recently got a 250mb external harddrive to keep all my downloaded films on, and a friend of mine gave me some dvd rips that he had done using dvd decrypter i think. the files come out at 4.1gb. as i have no dvd rom myself, can i play them as dvd's in my fake daemon tools dvd rom drive?

ive tryed doing this before, but cant quite seem to get it to work. you know how you would mount an image to play a game (for people who use it)? how can you do this with a dvd? i use blindwrite files for games, so there is an easy image file to opem, but when i try to do it with dvd's, i cant find a rite file type to open. Theres only a TS_FOLDER, and in this all the VOB files. can someone help me mount the dvd as a disc not as seperate vob files like in videolan.

if it needs converting or anything i have all the usual programs (tmpgenc, nero etc), was just hoping that someone could point me in the rite direction.

cheers for any helpful replies in advance

Darth Sushi
03-09-2004, 09:14 PM
BTW, this will only work if you do a DVD-backup, NOT a DVD-Rip! A Rip no longer have the menus, chapters, extras.

No conversion is needed for a DVD-backup. PowerDVD has a "open DVD on Hardrive" menu. I believe ZoomPlayer has a "play movie from directory," which you can use to open the TS_FOLDER. If you're using a player without this option (like MPC), you may have to open the IFO file, which contains the menu sequence. Don't open the VOB because the menu and available options will not be activated and you'll have to open each VOB to play them.

newcombe6
03-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Cheers for the reply Darth, i was wondering. the file is 4gb+, is this classed as a backup or a rip? (i thought a rip was a backup converted to a smaller file size using compression (xvid etc))

but thanks for the help, im downloading powerdvd as we speak

cheers again

Darth Sushi
03-10-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by newcombe6@10 March 2004 - 00:11
Cheers for the reply Darth, i was wondering. the file is 4gb+, is this classed as a backup or a rip? (i thought a rip was a backup converted to a smaller file size using compression (xvid etc))

but thanks for the help, im downloading powerdvd as we speak

cheers again
Both DVD-Decryptor and SmartRipper will let you do a rip or backup.

A backup is an exact copy of the DVD without the copy-protection.

A rip also removes the copy-protection as well as lots of extras, including the menu, subtitles, extras, FBI warning, etc so an encode conversion will have the bare minimum. There's still a VOB but the IFO chapters are gone.

Then one usually use the rip to convert it to XviD, DivX, MPEG2, VP63, etc.

Some programs and people like to call both the "rip" and the "encode job" simply a rip.

3RA1N1AC
03-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Darth Sushi@9 March 2004 - 13:14
BTW, this will only work if you do a DVD-backup, NOT a DVD-Rip! A Rip no longer have the menus, chapters, extras.

No conversion is needed for a DVD-backup. PowerDVD has a "open DVD on Hardrive" menu. I believe ZoomPlayer has a "play movie from directory," which you can use to open the TS_FOLDER. If you're using a player without this option (like MPC), you may have to open the IFO file, which contains the menu sequence. Don't open the VOB because the menu and available options will not be activated and you'll have to open each VOB to play them.
WinDVD can do this too, if you click Source -> DVD From Folder, and then point it to the VIDEO_TS folder and click Open.

that's also a good way (for people who have a DVD burner) to make sure that your movie works correctly, before burning it onto a DVD-R.