PDA

View Full Version : Dog Stories

hobbes
03-10-2004, 05:07 AM
When I was boy I owned a Cairn Terrier, one of the soft haired terriers.
http://www.dogbiz.com/dogs-grp4/cairn-t/images/cairn-280x230-tig-256.gif

We had a game where I would slap it on the bum and she would growl and chase me. Being a small dog, I would intentionally fall as soon as it would catch me. She would then grab my hand and growl and shake her head from side to side with my hand between her teeth, causing no pain and leaving no mark. The trick was that she would barely be touching my hand at all with the teeth, and I was supposed to scream in false pain. Then she would release and run, and I would catch her and ruffle her ears, the run myself.

I guess that is why dogs are man's best friend, except, of course for their damn breath.
Image Resized
Image Resized
<a href=&#39;http://www.iupload.net/022004/crotch.jpg&#39; (http://www.iupload.net/022004/crotch.jpg) target=&#39;image&#39;>Image Resized
[img]http://www.iupload.net/022004/crotch.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://www.iupload.net/022004/crotch.jpg')</a>

Not my dog, but the picture reminded me of her.

Any dog stories out there?

WOX
03-10-2004, 05:17 AM
i don&#39;t like dogs because the only stories that i have of my dogs is that they only do crap inside of the house.

j4y3m
03-10-2004, 05:20 AM
A Yorkshire Terrier bit me on the nose, I had a hole just below my eye and one near the bottom of my nose it really hurt... If must&#39;ve had a big mouth. :blink:

hobbes
03-10-2004, 05:32 AM
Dogs know crap and act accordingly. Seriously dogs can smell fear, those who act confidently and calmly around them earn their respect.

My dog was once afflicted with diarrhea and it actually started sleeping in the shower until it was better.

j4y3m
03-10-2004, 05:33 AM
http://www.small-business.me.uk/holmes/images/history/modern-day-staff.gif

My current dog is exactly the same as this one... It&#39;s a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

WOX
03-10-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by hobbes@10 March 2004 - 05:32
Dogs know crap and act accordingly. Seriously dogs can smell fear, those who act confidently and calmly around them earn their respect.

My dog was once afflicted with diarrhea and it actually started sleeping in the shower until it was better.
so maybe that&#39;s the reason well thank god i don&#39;t have dogs anymore only cats.

j4y3m
03-10-2004, 05:43 AM
Cats suck dogs balls...

j2k4
03-10-2004, 06:06 AM
My childhood was an unending succession of Golden Retrievers with amazing abilities and exceptional stories could be told about every one of them, but I remember most of them sadly, because my family had pretty bad luck with them; stolen, hit by a car, tangled with a bear-

Hurts to remember them that way-I get way too attached to my animals.

chalice
03-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Old Shep

When I was a lad and old Shep was a pup over hills and the meadows we&#39;d stray
Just a boy and his dog we were both full of fun and we grew up together that way
I remember the time at the old swimmin&#39; hole
When I would have drowned beyond doubt
But old Shep he was right there to the rescue he came
He jumped in and he pulled me out
Now the years rolled along and at last he grew old his eye sight was fast growing dim
Then one day the doctor looked at him and said well I can do no more for him Jim
With a hand that was tremblin&#39; I picked up my gun
And I aimed it at Shep&#39;s faithful head
But I just couldn&#39;t do it oh I wanted to run and I wished they would shoot me instead
Well I went to his side and I sat on the ground and he laid his head on my knee
I stroke the best pal that a man ever had then I cried so I scaresly could see
Now old Shep is gone where the good doggies go and no more with old Shep will I roam
But if dogs have a heaven there&#39;s one thing I know old Shep has a wonderful home

:( :( :( http://www.mercurybay.co.nz/images/howl.gif

j4y3m
03-10-2004, 09:07 AM
My dog got hit by a car and nearly died...

Evil Gemini
03-10-2004, 09:14 AM
my dog jumps over the fence and i have to chase the bastard :angry:

j4y3m
03-10-2004, 09:19 AM
I had a dog and my mom gave it to some people who lived like 100 miles away, I was very sad. :&#39;( but then the next month we open&#39;d the door and there was the dog in the garden. :o I don&#39;t know how it got back maybe it ran and found it&#39;s way home all by it&#39;s self or the people we gave t too dump&#39;d it in the garden. :blink: Anyway a coupel of moths after my mom gave it away again to a women who moved to france and I never saw the dog again. :&#39;(

It was an Akita. Looked alot like this one.

Image Resized
[img]http://www.smarrimenti.it/images/kibacucciola%20akita.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://www.smarrimenti.it/images/kibacucciola%20akita.jpg')

They&#39;re said to be very loyal to only one owner.

chalice
03-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by stupidguy@10 March 2004 - 09:19
I had a dog and my mom gave it to some people who lived like 100 miles away, I was very sad. :&#39;( but then the next month we open&#39;d the door and there was the dog in the garden. :o I don&#39;t know how it got back maybe it ran and found it&#39;s way home all by it&#39;s self or the people we gave t too dump&#39;d it in the garden. :blink: Anyway a coupel of moths after my mom gave it away again to a women who moved to france and I never saw the dog again. :&#39;(

It was an Akita.

Image Resized
Image Resized
[img]http://www.smarrimenti.it/images/kibacucciola%20akita.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> (http://www.smarrimenti.it/images/kibacucciola%20akita.jpg)
It could have been worse. She could have sent it to Thailand.

Atikas are a delicacy over there.

j4y3m
03-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by stupidguy@10 March 2004 - 08:19
They&#39;re said to be very loyal to only one owner.
Lots about them here... http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3880

Mr. Mulder
03-10-2004, 10:50 AM
When I was little my parents had a dog and its head got stuck in a rabbit hole and it died.

hermit777
03-10-2004, 11:11 AM
i had a staffy cross puppy which i caught eating other dogs poo :ghostface:
i slapped it on the nose so it would spit it out, but it just keep chomping away.
the turd in question was so sticky it was stuck to the roof ov it`s mouth so i had to put my fingers inside & pick it out bit by bit......nice

anyone fancy a roll up :lol:

ck-uk
03-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Kind of a sadish one.The first dog i had a hienz 57 (mongrol)from a mate,loved the thing,well devoted.Every time i went out it he&#39;d pace the room or stay by the window,the only way it would settle is if someone place some clothing of mine on the floor to lay on.I went and bought jake then same as stu&#39;s in my avtr.The only prob was the first dog ben would constantly attack jake,after a while we had to hold &#39;em on leads at night at each end of the living room and watch tele.I obviously had to get rid of the one and had the first put down,I could&#39;nt give him a way,i&#39;d go and get him back :)

RGX
03-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Always loved Dogs, my grandparents live 5 minutes walk away and they have owned various breeds for years, so I&#39;ve always been near them. I still like cats though, our current cat tigger is huge and sleeps in my room all day and next to me at night. :wub:

j2k4
03-10-2004, 02:44 PM
I too have to confess a penchant for cats; I have 4 of them.

Dogs will come when I can re-locate to a house of my own. ;)

reTARPD
03-10-2004, 02:49 PM
j2 is a crazy old lady :lol:

our alfred once went missing on a mountain in wales. so did we, we ended up 11 miles away from where we were supposed to be :01: (damn fog).

the next night though i heard scratching at our cottage door, he found his way home.

(the impressive bit is because we were on holiday where we&#39;d never been and he found his way ;)

j2k4
03-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by reTARPD@10 March 2004 - 11:49
j2 is a crazy old lady :lol:

our alfred once went missing on a mountain in wales. so did we, we ended up 11 miles away from where we were supposed to be :01: (damn fog).

the next night though i heard scratching at our cottage door, he found his way home.

(the impressive bit is because we were on holiday where we&#39;d never been and he found his way ;)
And my wife is a nutty old man&#33;

Your story is typical, but only in that it indicates these animals have a connection with us that is beyond our ken; the only possible explanation I&#39;ve stumbled across is that they actually have some weird organic "global positioning system" for navigational purposes-that, and an urge to reconnect with us.

Even with a proper explanation, that is terribly flattering to us humans, eh? :)

EDIT: OMG&#33;&#33; SPELLING&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

reTARPD
03-10-2004, 03:14 PM
i know it cant be from sight. it was like we were in a film. we had about 2 metre visibility walking along a ridge so we didnt know if we were walking past fields or sheer drops. thats about the time he dissapeared

j2k4
03-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by reTARPD@10 March 2004 - 12:14
i know it cant be from sight. it was like we were in a film. we had about 2 metre visibility walking along a ridge so we didnt know if we were walking past fields or sheer drops. thats about the time he dissapeared
Yup.

This GPS thing makes loads of sense; great way to explain away migration patterns, etc.

Only makes sense most animals have at least a remnant ability. ;)

AussieSheila
03-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by j2k4@10 March 2004 - 16:06
tangled with a bear-

:o Are you serious? A bear?

There&#39;s a song by an Australian band called "Dogs Make The Best People" and it&#39;s true. I drove across Australia with just my dog for company and he was all I needed ... well along with a good sound system and some herbal relaxants. :D For 5 days I barely spoke to a human, only to say thank you when purchasing petrol or paying for a camping space along the way. And I didn&#39;t miss the contact at all. My dog used to come to work with me, for 7 years he was truly my constant companion. He went missing when I was on holidays and had left him with my sister, and I never found him.

This is the dog I have now, he&#39;s apparently looking a bit cow like here. :blink: Say hello to Roy. :rolleyes:

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/todaysweatherreport.jpg

:D

<_< I have a cat but he recently proved that cats are sadistic killers by killing our guinea pig. I don&#39;t think I&#39;ll ever have another cat after this one eventually dies. I only have him cos he was dumped as a tiny kitten and found his way to us.

;) The snake that lives in our shed does a much better job of keeping the rats and mice away anyhow. :rolleyes:

j2k4
03-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by AussieSheila+10 March 2004 - 12:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AussieSheila &#064; 10 March 2004 - 12:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-j2k4@10 March 2004 - 16:06
tangled with a bear-

:o Are you serious? A bear?

There&#39;s a song by an Australian band called "Dogs Make The Best People" and it&#39;s true. I drove across Australia with just my dog for company and he was all I needed ... well along with a good sound system and some herbal relaxants. :D For 5 days I barely spoke to a human, only to say thank you when purchasing petrol or paying for a camping space along the way. And I didn&#39;t miss the contact at all. My dog used to come to work with me, for 7 years he was truly my constant companion. He went missing when I was on holidays and had left him with my sister, and I never found him.

[/b][/quote]
Yup.

A bear.

Hell, I ran-why didn&#39;t he?

At the age of six or seven, I learned about instincts; too late.

Old Rags did everything I ever told him to do, except RUN&#33;

Your trip sounds like a dream, Sheila.

Wish I could do that. :)

AussieSheila
03-10-2004, 04:23 PM
:o Oh poor Rags.

Yes, it was a great trip. It&#39;s crap there&#39;s nothing to see in deserts, there was plenty.

Kangaroos sometimes tear dogs apart over here. They can be quite savage when they are threatened.

oldmancan
03-10-2004, 06:10 PM
I grew up around two dogs. As an infant my "guardian angel" was a female basset hound. Around the time I turned ten we got a malamute mutt. The malamute was named "Cheemo". Of course I&#39;m biased but he was an amazing dog.

Dad was the master, but we were buddies always getting into trouble together.

I remember the first time he saw snow, he practically jumped for joy. There were some peat bogs in our area that used to freeze over. An unofficial community skating rink. Cheemo would use his leash to tow us around on the ice. He could tow most kids almost as fast as they could skate. And that was using a choker chain, he never wore a regular collar. I particularily remember one time when a younger brother was getting a "ride".

The peat bog was such that there were various sloughs and rises. The sloughs would be frozen and the rises were exposed peat. Mostly the sloughs were interconnected. But sometimes you had to walk over a rise to get to another slough.

See it coming? Yeah, I wound up my brother and the dog. Got them clipping along at a good speed. Then I sped past them, calling the dog. I knew the end of the slough was coming up and that there was narrow rise then nother slough. I jumped the rise, dog follow and so did little brother (in a slightly sprawling fashion, ok not so slightly).

No one got hurt and we all laughed later.

@AussieShelia, like good blues, sometimes the silence between the notes is more than the notes themselves.

:beerchug: omc

j2k4
03-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Good one, OMC-

Especially that last. ;)

Neo 721
03-10-2004, 06:36 PM
When i was in hyde park these two mastifs started humping. the owner was fined £50 :D

Spamsey
03-10-2004, 06:38 PM
I enjoy dogging most weekends, I usually go with my good friend Stan Collymore.

Neo 721
03-10-2004, 07:28 PM
owners dont take kindley to that, sound fun though

Mathea
03-10-2004, 07:43 PM
My dog Petey, who lives wif my mom cuz my place is too small, plays "find it". I tell him to find it and it&#39;s always interesting to see what he brings back. Camping one time he brought back an unopened can of somethin, either beans or soup.... one time he ran off and was digging a hole for bout 20 minutes, then pulled out an old block of wood... he&#39;s brought me cigarettes and toys n random things.... if only i could teach him to get wallets....

FlyingDutchman
03-10-2004, 11:03 PM
This is a great thread &#33; Thanks for your stories :)

My first dog (I was 17 at the time) choose me as his master. I worked as a temp dishwasher in a beach-cafe and the 7 month old dog there listened better to me than to his owner within 2 weeks. I was allowed to buy him, and we&#39;ve been together ever since, except for some holiday trips. This dog, (Bouvier des Flandres for 3/4, Belgian shepherd 1/4), was fabulous.

To many stories to tell, but here is just one.

I had to stay at a hospital (rehabilitation centre) for 2 years. "Only with my dog" I replied. They held a meeting, and the dog and I got a week probation.
After that week we both were allowed to stay, and it was the first dog there ever to be allowed on the wards. You can&#39;t imagine how the patients there loved to see that dog while they couldn&#39;t have their pets around.
We both finished our 2 years there, and after 4 years I had to visit the place again for a day. Where is "Quenta" I was asked several times.

That dog left a lasting impression with many people.

zirjacks
03-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Here is a picture of our two dogs, a minpin and a chihuahua

Image Resized
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~zirjacks/DSC00547.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> ('http://home.comcast.net/~zirjacks/DSC00547.JPG')

The chihuahua -named peenut- is only a little over a year old so he wants to play constantly but the minpin -named loco- is almost 8 years and only wants to play when he is ready to. It is to funny the way they act sometimes.

hobbes
03-11-2004, 12:15 AM
I&#39;m glad you people have shared so many "positive" dog stories. Anyone who has owned one has experienced too many sad ones to want to hear another.

Let&#39;s keep it positive or else I might need to get me hanky.

J2, my uncle was a hunter and kept 3-4 Golden Retreivers at all times. When the dogs weren&#39;t hunting they accompanied myself and my Grandmother to her 200 acre cattle ranch/ wooded area in Illinois which fronted on the Mississippi River.

So many good times, and such a relief to have when walking between the caretakers house (and his 12 children) and the Master house along those unlit dirt roads on a moonless Fall night, after watching Salem&#39;s Lot.

Those Goldens could make some of the most pitifully sad faces you have ever seen. They wouldn&#39;t beg with their mouths, but with their eyes, for just a bit of morning bacon, and a bit of sweet roll, as well.

I swear those dogs never bit or growled, even when the little kids would start pulling their hair. The dogs would just walk away. We never had much luck getting them to live beyond 7-8 years, and death was usually from natural causes.

seiya_33
03-11-2004, 03:15 AM
my chihuahua scored once , yeah
thats my boy , :P

j2k4
03-11-2004, 05:20 AM
Yeah, the Goldens are great.

Ours were always ready for anything you wanted to do, just so long as they could do it with you.

True companions, and incredible instincts for protection; they have this situational sense I can&#39;t really describe, except to say that it was never wrong.

The only bad decision my Rags ever made was over that damn bear.

And, as you say, Hobbes, the most expressive faces ever put on a dog. :)

hobbes
03-11-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by j2k4@11 March 2004 - 06:20
Yeah, the Goldens are great.

Ours were always ready for anything you wanted to do, just so long as they could do it with you.

True companions, and incredible instincts for protection; they have this situational sense I can&#39;t really describe, except to say that it was never wrong.

The only bad decision my Rags ever made was over that damn bear.

And, as you say, Hobbes, the most expressive faces ever put on a dog. :)
What I find remarkable about the man-dog relationship is that your dog, Rags, would rather die than let harm come to you, an amazing commitment to something of another species.

I don&#39;t know the situation you faced, but if you could have helped you would have. Sometimes we cannot get our dogs to understand that "a good run is better than a bad stand". They only see black vs white. You were threatened they must defend.

But we all know that we both would risk our lives to save our dogs. We would jump into a raging river, rush into a burning house, without thought for self, to save our dogs.

A strange, but very special bond.

j2k4
03-11-2004, 05:48 AM
Just so-

Thing was, I was pretty well away when he actually attacked the bear.

It was just kind of a face-off until I turned around to call him (I was beatin&#39; ass outta there, you bet).

I still can&#39;t believe it.

hobbes
03-11-2004, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by j2k4@11 March 2004 - 06:48
Just so-

Thing was, I was pretty well away when he actually attacked the bear.

It was just kind of a face-off until I turned around to call him (I was beatin&#39; ass outta there, you bet).

I still can&#39;t believe it.
Exactly as I had imagined.

You yell, "bear, run Rags, run".

You don&#39;t expect that it has different priorities and you don&#39;t realize this until too late.

A bear has got to be the most fearsome adversary, as it is not only so much bigger, but so much faster.

I feel your pain, and I appreciate your inability to save your dog. Nothing you could do, nothing anyone could have done, short of shoting the bear.

j4y3m
03-14-2004, 05:36 AM
My Staffy is scared of snow and sneezes when it&#39;s outside in it. :lol: :) The Akita I mentioned in one of my other posts wasn&#39;t though... I bought it(well my dad did) when it was just a pup 6-8 weeks old at christmas time... It was snowing so I took it outside too see what it though and it was rolling around and jumping like it was the happiest dog alive... I have alot of sad stories about my dogs but the good ones out weight them by a mile. :)