PDA

View Full Version : Music Kinda Jumpy

bigdawgfoxx
03-10-2004, 05:11 AM
Ok..when Im listenin to songs on winamp it kinda starts to jump sometimes..like very brief but its really wierd..it sounds like a sound card problem or something...neone else had this?

adamp2p
03-10-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@9 March 2004 - 21:11
Ok..when Im listenin to songs on winamp it kinda starts to jump sometimes..like very brief but its really wierd..it sounds like a sound card problem or something...neone else had this?
Nope, big dawg, I am not sure exactly what your problem is. It could be a problem with one or more of your .mp3s. I have noticed that a lot of songs that I downloaded off of the internet have small errors or glitches.

Oh, and I noticed that your .sig has 3400 XP in it. I need to comment on that. As you may know the Athlon XP line based on the well known Barton core is soon to be discontinued and is going to be replaced by the Athlon 64 chip with the 64 bit compatibility disabled (or not).

Be it that the Athlon XP line never quite lived up to its model rating (It is well understood throughout the computer hardware industry that AMD's Athlon XP's never quite lived up to their model name ie the 3200 XP was far from equaling the performance of the Northwood 3200 MHz CPU) until the 64 series. Therefore the only "3400+" CPU's available today are the 64 bit series, so I suggest you replace the rating of your CPU to 3200+, which is probably about the level it performs at.

:)

bigdawgfoxx
03-10-2004, 05:41 AM
lol well the average between most amd cpus is about 93Mhz...and mine is over that...mines 105mhz over a 3200 i think..so i put 3400 so shut it i rate amds how i want to...i got an athlon 9000XP B) im a playa haha

There all ripped mp3s from my cds...and they worked fine before...i duno kinda wierd

And i believ the rating was for a 3200XP to match a 3.2Ghz duron...i heard that once..

adamp2p
03-10-2004, 05:57 AM
Hey big dawg, thanks for not taking what I said personally.

I am just trying to be a smartass, you know me... B)

y/f :rolleyes:

3RA1N1AC
03-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@9 March 2004 - 21:41
And i believ the rating was for a 3200XP to match a 3.2Ghz duron...i heard that once..
Durons are neutered Athlons, i think. AMD never claimed the XP ratings were supposed to compare with Intel, but a lot of users got the idea into their heads because the early versions of the P4 were so slow (so it was sort of a fair comparison at that time). the XP ratings were actually meant to compare with the theoretical performance levels of their previous Athlon design, the Athlon Thunderbird series: an Athlon XP 2600 was supposed to be comparable to a 2.6ghz T-bird, an XP 3200 comparable to a 3.2ghz T-bird, etc. 'cept there's no such thing as a 2.6ghz T-bird, or 3.2ghz T-bird, so that's why it's theoretical... there's no controversy about the accuracy of the ratings, if they're meant to compare with models that don't exist.

what do you mean by "jumpy"? are they skipping forward, past sections of the music? could be corrupt mp3s... but if it's not that, then it could be a lot of things, like poor soundcard drivers or IDE drivers, maybe your hard drive needs to be defragmented because it's searching around too much, maybe you're just running too many stressful programs all at once, etc. there are prolly a lot of possible explanations.

if you're getting mp3s from Kazaa, that could explain it, 'cause neither Kazaa nor K-Lite has any real error-checking built in, so files transferred through that network get corrupted very easily. that's usually more of a problem with large files (several hundred MBs) rather than small ones like mp3s, but there is still a slight possibility of small files picking up glitches during the download. i'd recommend Soulseek or Bittorrent if file corruption is a big problem for you, since those programs have very good error-detection to ensure the integrity of the files.

gungrave
03-10-2004, 12:54 PM
when i play music on the school pc's the music jumps and the ram light flashes so i think that the pc's at ma school r shite.
how good is ur pc?

tesco
03-10-2004, 02:12 PM
whats a ram light? ive never see ram lights before.

@bigdawg, does it skip using all players or just winamp? try using windows media player and tell us what happens.

bigdawgfoxx
03-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Yah, what is a ram light? lol Unless it has the new corsair twinx with the activity leds....then i dont think it has ram lights lol.

And yeah...I think my system is PLENTY good.

The music is from songs that have worked FINE before..and songs that i have ripped from dBpoweramp also. Its like a VERY minor jump..and it doesnt happen all the time...you can just tell that its skipped like 1/5 of the word.

RGX
03-10-2004, 02:54 PM
When was the last time you defragged your hard drive dawg?

BTW, Ram light? I think he means the HDD activity light on the front of the comp. If so, its probably a fragmented drive, one of my HDD's used to skip on tracks as well till I defragged it a few times in a row, once a week is good enough to make sure your HDD is well maintined.