PDA

View Full Version : Xp Startup Screwed Up

Wolfmight
03-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Ok, for some reason everytime i start up, Norton says "NvCpl had an error starting" or something. Also, Style XP doesnt startup at all "even" though it is checked to start in msconfig. (i set it to rotate the themes, but instead I get the XP nonthemed defualt whem i start up.. I'm not talking about the fisher price looking one, but i'm talking about the blank 98 looking one).

Also, there are like 20 junk startup items in msconfig that are programs that i've already uninstalled. Is there a way to delete these from the menu permanently, because i cant find a way too.

Any software that can help fix the startup? Thanks.

LSA
03-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Same thing happens when I go into windows, but it never says it had an error starting...

It usually gets through everything on mine if you just let it sit for 2-3 mins :lol:

Windows....:lol:

{I}{K}{E}
03-14-2004, 11:14 PM
unstall the programs that are not 'working' run a regcleaner and reinstall the programs.

Wolfmight
03-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@14 March 2004 - 17:14
unstall the programs that are not 'working' run a regcleaner and reinstall the programs.
what would u reccomend to be the best reg cleaner?

also, are there such programs which can edit the startup configuration file?

zapjb
03-14-2004, 11:27 PM
RegSeeker it's excellent & it's freeware.

Mullyman
03-14-2004, 11:33 PM
Totally agree....RegSeeker excellent freeware program (site listed below) B)

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

Wolfmight
03-15-2004, 02:53 AM
Wow, thanks. The program found about 2100 bad registry entries. I just said, what the hell, and deleted em all. (backed up of course). When i restarted.. I noticed the norton error was gone! Hell, plus the computer started up hella lot faster too! sweet...

zapjb
03-15-2004, 02:58 AM
2100 bad entries omfg. Glad it's sorted now.

Wolfmight
03-15-2004, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by zapjb@14 March 2004 - 20:58
2100 bad entries omfg. Glad it's sorted now.
heh yea obviosuly Norton's WinDocotor "Sucks Ass" compared to Regseeker. Norton only finds around 10-50 everytime i run it, while this mofo uses brute force.

Nightwolf
03-15-2004, 06:26 PM
How to clear all the Unchecked items in MSCONFIG:

Start/Run/Regedit

For items that were in the Start menu, Programs, Startup folder:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder.
You'll find a subkey for each disabled item.

For items loaded from the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg.
You'll find a subkey for each disabled item.

Before you delete anything in Regedit you might want to use File - Export to save each key to a .reg file so you can easily restore them if you have to.

Mullyman
03-15-2004, 06:38 PM
You don"t have to bother to do all that when you use RegSeeker...it has that feature built into it through "startup entries" B)