PDA

View Full Version : How Safe Is A Psu With No Fan?

tesco
03-15-2004, 01:17 AM
how safe is it to run a power supply which i have taken the fan out of? its a 250watt PSU which i am using just to run an old broken motherboard and a set of internal computer speakers, i am using the speakers for my TV and find that the motherboard makes it easier to turn on\off the pwoer supply (the speakers get power from a power supply and fit into a 5.25" slot).

so do you guys think its fine to use it like that? the cpu has a heatsync and fan and doesnt fell too hot so im not worried about that, but what about teh power supply, its kinda getting hot. the longest it will be on is like an hour at most, think it will be alright?

Virtualbody1234
03-15-2004, 01:43 AM
One hour is a long time.

Get a fan.

3RA1N1AC
03-15-2004, 02:11 AM
rossco, that setup sounds overly complicated, just for a set of (i'm guessing relatively cheapo) speakers. i was gonna suggest looking around for a fanless PSU because any PSU that comes with a fan obviously has the fan there for a reason. but that solution would just be more trouble and expense than it's worth.

if those speakers are able to draw power from a 1/8" phono jack and your tv doesn't send enough power through its headphone jack, you should just ditch the PC (which you are using as an amp) and get a small amplifier with a phono jack input & output-- radio shack prolly sells one for less than $20 that'll do the job. either that, or buy a pair of inexpensive self-powered PC/multimedia speakers, which would no doubt be more tidy and less space-consuming than your current setup. ;)

bigdawgfoxx
03-15-2004, 02:43 AM
what are you doing?

you have little crappy speakers for your tv and there running off the mobo? and the speakers fit in the drive bay or what? lostttt here lol

tesco
03-15-2004, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@14 March 2004 - 21:11
rossco, that setup sounds overly complicated, just for a set of (i'm guessing relatively cheapo) speakers. i was gonna suggest looking around for a fanless PSU because any PSU that comes with a fan obviously has the fan there for a reason. but that solution would just be more trouble and expense than it's worth.

if those speakers are able to draw power from a 1/8" phono jack and your tv doesn't send enough power through its headphone jack, you should just ditch the PC (which you are using as an amp) and get a small amplifier with a phono jack input & output-- radio shack prolly sells one for less than $20 that'll do the job. either that, or buy a pair of inexpensive self-powered PC/multimedia speakers, which would no doubt be more tidy and less space-consuming than your current setup. ;)
well i have always had the motherboard set up in a drawer of my dresser, i use it to test fans and lights and stuff. tis a pretty cool setup for what i use it for and tis actually pretty simple, doesnt get too hot, so its fine. then i decided to plug in theese speakers which i got from my school and they have pretty good sound for their size, i like them. and its free, no buying stuff. i might stick a fan back in it or maybe just wont use it at all, i need to buy a longer wire to reach from my VCR to my computer because i moved my room around yesterday and it wont reach anymore :(

so it wont work with no fan right?

tesco
03-15-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 March 2004 - 21:43
what are you doing?

you have little crappy speakers for your tv and there running off the mobo? and the speakers fit in the drive bay or what? lostttt here lol
they are like a cd-rom drive sorta but it isnt a drive its speakers that fit in the slot where you would put a cd-rom drive. I guess they are for if you dont have much space on your desk. they get power from a molex connector which plugs into it on teh inside of the computer, and the 3.5mm headphone jack plugs into a soundcard or vcr or ps2 etc.

im using teh motehrboard because its easier to add in a switch to turn the speakers and power supply on.

bigdawgfoxx
03-15-2004, 04:06 AM
Why are you even using such bad speakers?

3RA1N1AC
03-15-2004, 04:19 AM
well, if it is important for you to keep that machine, then maybe you should look for a PSU that's designed for fanless use. using a regular one from a PC and just taking the fan out... at best, the PSU will prolly overheat and die if you keep using it that way, if not something more dangerous (like causing a fire). :unsure:

tesco
03-15-2004, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@14 March 2004 - 23:06
Why are you even using such bad speakers?
they arent actually that bad, pretty good sound, much better than my tv has. its only temporary anyway until i buy a wire that will reach to use my computer's speakers, but i wanted to make sure that before then i wouldnt cause a fire or something. and im not gonna waste m time getting another crappy psu for my testing in my dresser drawer ill just use the one i have, its usually only on for 2 minutes max anyway.