PDA

View Full Version : A Message To The Mods

delphin460
03-18-2004, 11:32 AM
dear mods

i realy like this forum, and the help we can all get here but is there any way you can seperate the lounge board from the view new posts, as its mostly spam and isnt realy help for anyone except for those that want to get their stars quick

im not against free speach , but most newbies here get so confused by all the spam they cant find the topics they are after and end up asking the same questions over and over again

NightStalker
03-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Simple solution.

Don't visit The Lounge, and/or use the "Search" function..

delphin460
03-18-2004, 01:01 PM
nightstalker , ????????? wtf are we supposed to find relevant question and answers , spend all day looking at each board , hmmm i think thats not the answer, perhaps less crap is it !!!!!!!

Adster
03-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@18 March 2004 - 21:32
dear mods

i realy like this forum, and the help we can all get here but is there any way you can seperate the lounge board from the view new posts, as its mostly spam and isnt realy help for anyone except for those that want to get their stars quick

im not against free speach , but most newbies here get so confused by all the spam they cant find the topics they are after and end up asking the same questions over and over again
No teh lounge is not for peopel to get their stars up

it's for having a general chat talk funny joke talking shit trying to be funny and yes some fun spam topics.

The problem is posts count there which is now leading to posts like this

nack then when you posted in the Biggest spam post topic no one gave a flying f*ck because posts didn't count and it was safe. now its harder to have fun in teh lounge because now its easy to be accused of "Your just getting your post count up"
it's jsut harder to be free flowing as it once was

but the team here at KLF thought it was a great for the board and they decided on it

Cheese
03-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Newbies will always ask the same questions over and over again no matter what you do, that's pretty much true of any board I've visited. These topics are easily avoided if they are that annoying, or if they really trouble you hit that report button.

And what happens to those who use this function who want to read the lounge posts?

You're not against free speech? That is, unless it annoys you... :blink:

NightStalker
03-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@18 March 2004 - 08:01
nightstalker , ????????? wtf are we supposed to find relevant question and answers , spend all day looking at each board , hmmm i think thats not the answer, perhaps less crap is it !!!!!!!
When using the Search function you can choose "All Forums" or you can select more than one to search in. :rolleyes:

delphin460
03-18-2004, 01:16 PM
um sorry i you miss understand what im saying , please continue with the lounge as its a good place for ppl to connect

all im saying is that this is a very big forum, and for those new to forums its a crazy place with like 13 boards , and a whole lot of diffwerent topics, by all means continue as you are in the lounge, as all i am trying to say is that for the average user and those noobs the view new topics contains at least 50% lounge topics and thus makes it harder for mr noob to find what he requires

thus maybe just perhaps, we just might be able to seperate, advice from free speech, im not trying to dump on you guys in the lounge that wanna chat and get along, all i would like to see is the forum simplified for the average user and noob

i didnt intend to insult anyone, and am truely sorry if i did, i just wanna help and de confuse , if just a little , this forum

Cheese
03-18-2004, 01:31 PM
i didnt intend to insult anyone, and am truely sorry if i did, i just wanna help and de confuse , if just a little , this forum

The whole wording of your post was insulting...even the presumptious title. If you'd used the search button you'd have realised this kind of topic has been done to death now. :)

"Newbies" should use the search function to find what they are after, do they? Of course not, no matter what changes are implemented. :lol:

shn
03-18-2004, 01:33 PM
The lounge is indeed full of nonsense at times. I suppose some people seem to enjoy that "a lot" more than others. :)

nahan
03-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Simple solution make more faq ,guides and link to faq and guides for newbies on every possilbe subject ,done and done.

bulio
03-18-2004, 01:49 PM
the lounge is usually for fun, and to get postcount up. ;) :ph34r:

delphin460
03-18-2004, 02:02 PM
ok , so perhaps the SEARCH button should be very more obvious , so noob could find it or even a forum board topic so they can see it ,

and to relpy to Withcheese, i notice that some ppl with 5 stars as yourself seem to have a lot of :D as additional comments in posts , need i say more.

big words dont impress me or others , knowledge does

we where all noobs to forums once , and it can be a cofusing place, lets just make it easier for them to see the obvious answers and to know where to search for them

CornerPocket
03-18-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by bulio@18 March 2004 - 06:49
the lounge is usually for fun, and to get postcount up. ;)  :ph34r:
Nah I think most agree that getting post count up= low priority. What, how and quality of post is better suited.

As for the newbies searching, well I think Withcheese instigated the correct response when saying that the Search feature should be used when looking for answers, not the View New Posts..............that will only show most recent posts throughout the board, of course we all know that right?

A little common sense and overview of the board will reveal the whereabouts of all functions, including the location of the "Search" button. Easily viewable, not hidden.

There will always be repetitve questions, regardless of what actions taken to help make things easier. ;)

hooked
03-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@18 March 2004 - 11:32
dear mods

(thanks for this; due to this topic my postcount goes up 1)

wtf ? is going on in ppl mind when they decide to add a thread like yours.

this board contains many different forums . . .

viewe new posts and don't open the lounge posts

again wtf is wrong with that . . . .do you want anybody from here to make you a cup of teas with a cookie as well ?????

luv ya'll !

:frusty:

delphin460
03-18-2004, 02:25 PM
argh , its the whole point when you click VIEW NEW POSTS 70% are lounge posts, need i say more

Adster
03-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by hooked+19 March 2004 - 00:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hooked @ 19 March 2004 - 00:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-delphin460@18 March 2004 - 11:32
dear mods

viewe new posts and don&#39;t open the lounge posts

again wtf is wrong with that . . . .do you want anybody from here to make you a cup of teas with a cookie as well ?????

luv ya&#39;ll &#33;

:frusty: [/b][/quote]
Can you make me one please? :D

CornerPocket
03-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@18 March 2004 - 07:25
argh , its the whole point when you click VIEW NEW POSTS 70% are lounge posts, need i say more
Just surveyed, of the last 25 View New Post, 6 are Lounge-Talk Club related, seem fairly spread to me. Not overly powered by Lounge posts. :D

You&#39;ve expressed your thought, but I doubt that it will justify any changes on the board. If it bothers you that much, just skip over the &#39;View New Post" feature and search manually. :book:

delphin460
03-18-2004, 02:50 PM
im not disagreeing with you cornerpost , as i am used to the post by now , my whole point is noobs dont have this knowledge and thus wade through the confusing array of topics b4 they find what they want , and usualy end up just posting cause they cant find there answer within a very minimum amount of time .

note the usual attaention reading time is aprox 3 minutes b4 ppl give up and just ask the question anyway

Adster
03-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@19 March 2004 - 00:50
im not disagreeing with you cornerpost , as i am used to the post by now , my whole point is noobs dont have this knowledge and thus wade through the confusing array of topics b4 they find what they want , and usualy end up just posting cause they cant find there answer within a very minimum amount of time .

note the usual attaention reading time is aprox 3 minutes b4 ppl give up and just ask the question anyway
who is cornerpost? :huh:

:lol:

CornerPocket
03-18-2004, 03:01 PM
The point is, the Search button is for searching specific or helpful posts, the View New Posts is to see what has been recently posted throughout the board, as in general, not specific. I am confident that newbies and members alike are well aware of the difference. The SEARCH button is fairly easy to spot, not hidden.

Again, highly doubt any changes will be done. Whether a new person wants to search or not, repetitve posts will always be around. A fact of life on Forums, we live with it on go on..........sorry it&#39;s not what you want but it&#39;s how it is.

Patience is a virtue to some, others well God help us.

Cheers,
"CP"

no offense but it&#39;s CornerPocket :01:

hooked
03-18-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Adster+18 March 2004 - 14:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Adster @ 18 March 2004 - 14:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by hooked@19 March 2004 - 00:20
<!--QuoteBegin-delphin460@18 March 2004 - 11:32
dear mods

viewe new posts and don&#39;t open the lounge posts

luv ya&#39;ll &#33;

:frusty:
Can you make me one please? :D [/b][/quote]
tea&#39;s ready SIR &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

cookie is inside

delphin460
03-18-2004, 03:03 PM
lol another great question , you know who i was talking to , "cornerpocket" . way to get another post adster&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

ok end of topic we had all had a say , some agree and some disagree, and so it should be , but lets not decide that change is not good or for the better

and besides all, hey its all fun after all and a way for us all to have our say

hooked
03-18-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@18 March 2004 - 15:03
lol another great question , you know who i was talking to , cornerpocket . way to get another post adster&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
:D hehe . . you can say that agani

CornerPocket
03-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@18 March 2004 - 08:03
ok end of topic we had all had a&nbsp; say , some agree and some disagree, and so it should be , but lets not decide that change is not good or for the better

Couldn&#39;t have said it better myself. :beerchug:

hooked
03-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@18 March 2004 - 15:03
ok end of topic we had all had a say , some agree and some disagree, and so it should be , but lets not decide that change is not good or for the better

so basically u can consider this topic as a one to raise YOUR post count :P

DanB
03-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by delphin460@18 March 2004 - 15:25
Do you reckon that would have anything to do with the fact that the lounge is probably the busiest section the forum? :rolleyes:

vivitron 15
03-18-2004, 05:32 PM
i actually think that the original idea was a good one - i visit this forum and another one maybe 2-4 times per day, and take a look around.

in the other forum i just use the View new posts button, and see whats goin on, but i dont on this one, cos i have no intention to visit the lounge at all, and the posts get in the way...it isnt that much of a problem, just i have to go through each section seperately (more sections=more time spent scrolling through)

so if it were possible to get a system of "view new non-offtopic posts" then id be well happy. :)

vivitron 15
03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
ok, been thinking about this one - try using this link (bookmark it)

http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?act=S...what+where+when (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=ce21273fd4dda185a7bfce5934ff3fde&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=help+file+down+load+more+also+with+have+site+made+does+what+where+when)

it is an advanced search in all forums except offtrack for a string of 4 letter words such as what when etc, which will most likely be in every thread. if you wanna add words to it, go ahead, play with it.

it isnt exactly what you asked for originally, and prob isnt ideal, but if you set this, and in your "My controls" set "number of posts to display" high, then it might act as kind of a replacement. i have only briefly tried it, so not entirely sure about it :)

shn
03-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by danb+18 March 2004 - 10:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (danb &#064; 18 March 2004 - 10:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-delphin460@18 March 2004 - 15:25
Do you reckon that would have anything to do with the fact that the lounge is probably the busiest section the forum? :rolleyes:[/b][/quote]
Yea but half of thoose are meaningless, frivilous topics.

Don&#39;t get me wrong, I like the lounge. I think it&#39;s a great place to hang out and relax.

But sometimes, I think the lounge is used or should I say abused and mistaken for a spam haven. And thoose of you that do this know who you are. :)

jetje
03-18-2004, 06:04 PM
postcount...????? What postcount...

who cares about that nowadays, to all that does... let it float..... :lol:
new people probably even don&#39;t know it excists ;)

@delphin460, i do understand your question and can understand why you ask...
my guess that in your case if the lounge post bother too much you better not use the view new posts, but just visit the sections your interested in....

And well, maybe 7th has a great idea about this. B)

Cheese
03-18-2004, 06:17 PM
and to relpy to Withcheese, i notice that some ppl with 5 stars as yourself seem to have a lot of&nbsp; :D as additional comments in posts , need i say more.

big words dont impress me or others , knowledge does

Whining doesn&#39;t impress me or others, get a grip. So what if people only reply with smilies in their posts (something I myself try to avoid). Concentrate on doing what you say you are here to do, helping others, and give those of us who don&#39;t want to take things so seriously a break.

bujub22
03-18-2004, 07:21 PM
i :lol: :lol: to this whole thread&#33;&#33; sorry if it&#39;s spam :P

Cheese
03-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by bujub22@18 March 2004 - 18:21
i :lol: :lol: to this whole thread&#33;&#33; sorry if it&#39;s spam :P
Shut up Star Hunter... :lol:

bujub22
03-18-2004, 07:24 PM
i give no hoot to pollute with......... spam :P star gepper1

CornerPocket