PDA

View Full Version : Proxies

DWells55
03-22-2004, 02:48 AM
I went to the proxies section, but I don't understand what it is. Are these the Proxy Servers that will protect my IP from the RIAA/MPAA? Have these been checked out to make sure they're not the ones run by the RIAA/MPAA? How do I use them? Are they like the same thing as AnonX?

kAb
03-22-2004, 04:06 AM
I don't know.

But I do know that these proxies are just as good if not better:Click me (http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/proxy_list?order=country%20asc&offset=300)

h1
03-22-2004, 04:35 AM
Proxies act as a median between you and computers you connect to. So if you use a proxy in Algeria, the RIAA will leave you alone. :lol:

You should know though that complete anonymity is nothing but a paranoid delusion.

shn
03-22-2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by DWells55@21 March 2004 - 20:48
I went to the proxies section, but I don't understand what it is.  Are these the Proxy Servers that will protect my IP from the RIAA/MPAA?  Have these been checked out to make sure they're not the ones run by the RIAA/MPAA?  How do I use them?  Are they like the same thing as AnonX?
http://chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/proxies.jpg --self explanatory

As long as the proxies are anonymous and not transparent you should be ok. Also with a little social engineering the admin/admins of a site you visit may be able to get some info on you from another sysadmin. An email requesting the logs, etc.

For example:

Let's say you know a site is based in the U.S. or U.K., whenever possible try using a proxy server from a country where they don't even speak the language. That way any request or attempts to find out who you really are or came from will be pretty hard unless there is a translator nearby.

j/k...........I doubt that would work but better safe then sorry :01:

DWells55
03-22-2004, 01:05 PM
Okay, how would I set this up so that the RIAA/MPAA/Video Game Industry? would not be able to see my real IP and catch me downloading and sharing on BitTorrent? How would I set this up?

Would this be a good proxy for me to use?
218.216.148.17--------8080--------high anonymity--------Japan--------2004-03-21

Edit: I have a home network with my and 2 other PCs hooked up and a PS2 hooked up to a router. Would the proxy affect them or just my computer (don't care about the others)? Also, will I have to configure my router?

Rappy
03-22-2004, 05:01 PM
i wanna know too

Sparkle1984
03-22-2004, 05:12 PM
I have a problem with the proxies listed on this site.
I set up a proxy setting in firefox, as shown in shn's screenshot, but when I go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ I see that my IP address is still the same as the one that's assigned to me by my ISP.

I thought that if I use a proxy, it should change my IP address into the IP address of the proxy? Or have I misunderstood?

7thElement
03-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Sparkle1984@22 March 2004 - 17:12
I have a problem with the proxies listed on this site.
I set up a proxy setting in firefox, as shown in shn's screenshot, but when I go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ I see that my IP address is still the same as the one that's assigned to me by my ISP.

I thought that if I use a proxy, it should change my IP address into the IP address of the proxy? Or have I misunderstood?
Not all proxies are anonymous - you should use anonymous proxies. I also noticed that most port 80 proxies are not very anonymous - on the other hand most proxies using port 8080 are anonymous.

Sparkle1984
03-22-2004, 05:31 PM
OK thanks for explaining that. I've found an anonymous one which works for me now. :D

bulio
03-22-2004, 05:47 PM
some anoynimous proxies work great, while other suck :(

DWells55
03-22-2004, 08:45 PM
How would use these proxies so there is a lesser chance of me being caught using WinMX, BitTorrent, and mIRC? Where do I put in these IP addresses and ports? I see how you did it with Mozilla, but I want them for P2P.

Edit: I run Windows XP Home SP1 and have an integrated network card on my motherboard.

NightStalker
03-22-2004, 09:07 PM
WinMX: Settings -> Outgoing TCP Connections -> Use SOCKS4/5 Proxy Server

mIRC: File -> Options -> Connect -> Firewall

DWells55
03-22-2004, 09:24 PM
What about BitTorrent (ABC 2.6.1), since I share?

Edit: Are the proxies on here and stayinvisible.com SOCKS 4 or 5? Also, how do I set up a proxy server in IE (to test them)?

h1
03-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by 7thElement@22 March 2004 - 12:18
Not all proxies are anonymous - you should use anonymous proxies. I also noticed that most port 80 proxies are not very anonymous - on the other hand most proxies using port 8080 are anonymous.
Port doesn't matter. ;) And 80 and 8080 are identical for our purposes. :)

supersonic
03-23-2004, 01:46 AM
If these servers are identical to the ones in Stay Invis., then we are do0Omed, because in my compiled list of bad ips to bl0ck when checking proxies, most of these ips failed and they belong to the 3 acronym orgs or h@ck3rs, so just beaware.
80 is the standard port for http proxies.
8080 & 1080 are the standard ports for socks 4/4a/5 proxies, but there are non-standard port proxies ass w3ll thouhgh.

IE (Internet Explorer)
1.Open your IE.
2.Goto Tools. Then Internet Options.
3.Under Options goto Connections tab.
4.Open Settings for the highlighted connection.
5.Enable the checkbox that says "Use proxy server for this connection" and type in the IP address and port to use.
6.|optional| You can got to Advanced under the Settings and use a different proxy for each protocol. e.g. socks,http,ssl...

Msn/Windows Messenger:
1.Open your msn/windows messenger.
2.Goto Tools. Then open Options.
3.Under options, goto Connectionz tab.
4.Enable the checkbox and type in the proxy
IP address and port, and chose the correct proxy type.

KaZaA/K-lite
1.Open your kazaa.
2.Goto Options and open it.
3.Goto the firewall tab.
4.Enable the "Use Socks5 proxy server".
5. Fill in the information required.
Note: Only Socks5 or 5/4 proxy servers may be used
for kazaa.

DWells55
03-23-2004, 03:25 AM
Okay, but what about BitTorrent?

ck-uk
03-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by DWells55@23 March 2004 - 02:25
Okay, but what about BitTorrent?
Use sockscap with a proxy program.I used to used anon guest ,its just to slow n a piss off connectin sometimes. :)

AnonXO
03-23-2004, 09:44 PM
"Not all proxies are anonymous - you should use anonymous proxies. I also noticed that most port 80 proxies are not very anonymous - on the other hand most proxies using port 8080 are anonymous."

Big problem!!!! Port 8080 is a known caching port. Most IP running caching server port forward all traffic to port 8080. In addition most cacheing server keep logs of how much they have cached what they have cached and who accessed the cache. If someone ever needed proof of what you where doing/looking at on the web a caching server is the best way to prove it. Please stay away from port 8080.

shn
03-24-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by AnonXO@23 March 2004 - 15:44
"Not all proxies are anonymous - you should use anonymous proxies. I also noticed that most port 80 proxies are not very anonymous - on the other hand most proxies using port 8080 are anonymous."

Big problem!!!!  Port 8080 is a known caching port.  Most IP running caching server port forward all traffic to port 8080.    In addition most cacheing server keep logs of how much they have cached what they have cached and who accessed the cache.  If someone ever needed proof of what you where doing/looking at on the web a caching server is the best way to prove it.  Please stay away from port 8080.
Most if not all proxy servers cache their request anyway.

Port really does not matter, as been said before. :)