PDA

View Full Version : Lmao!

fkdup74
03-22-2004, 10:38 PM
...dont know if this is old news, but it was just posted today in Raod Runner news...

Originally posted by RR News

LOS ANGELES(AP) The Web site for the recording industry's anti-piracy lobby has been inaccessible for several days, possibly the victim of a computer virus specifically targeting the site.

The Recording Industry Association of America's site at riaa.com was among the targets named in the "MyDoom.F" virus, which Internet security firms spotted last month. The site has been down since Wednesday and remained offline Monday.

"We are working on getting it back online," RIAA spokesman Jonathan Lamy said, declining to elaborate.

The virus was programmed to activate between the 17th and 22nd of any month, said Vincent Gullotto, vice president of McAfee's antivirus emergency response team.

It's not clear whether the virus actually caused an Internet traffic jam that shut down the site, or if the RIAA opted to take the site down in anticipation of the virus' activation.

Upon activation, the virus performs a so-called denial-of-service attack, in which machines infected with the virus continually send bogus Web traffic requests to the RIAA site, overwhelming it so it can't handle legitimate requests.

"It's impossible to filter the traffic because it looks identical to the same type of traffic generated by a regular browser," said Tony Magallanez, systems engineer at F-Secure Corp. in San Jose. "You get to a point where if enough machines become infected it can overwhelm pretty much any connection."

Sites targeted in the past include those of Microsoft Corp. and anti-spam organizations.

The RIAA site has been attacked several times since July 2002. As the trade organization for the major recording label, the RIAA has been at the forefront of efforts to stop file-sharing programs.

If the "MyDoom.F" virus had caused the five-day jam, it suggests tens of thousands of computers have been infected, Gullotto said.

So far, both McAfee and F-Secure have seen the virus crop up mostly on computers in Europe, but it remains a low priority compared to other, more prolific computer viruses.

"It's not on our immediate radar," Gullotto said. "It's fallen far enough on our top 10 or even top 100 in the last week."

The Reverand
03-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Yeah, old news.

I don't agree with it to be honest, at the end of the day it's just going to just piss off the webmaster who's gonna be hours fixing it. It won't stop the RIAA suing people, I don't think it's neccesary to resort to childish stunts like that.

Sparkle1984
03-26-2004, 09:30 PM
It won't stop the RIAA suing people,

I know it won't, but it will at least show them how angry people are about their tactics. The RIAA gloats about suing little children, so I think it's justified for people to fight them any way they can. :D

Switeck
03-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Every time RIAA's site is taken offline gives them MORE ammo to use before Congress to ban file-sharing.

"Look what the 'evil hackers' did to us this time!"