PDA

View Full Version : Pop Ups When Runnig Kazaa

michdo23
03-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey there!

First of all, yes i did read the FAQ... :P

I still get POP-UP windows when i run kazaa, overnet emule and such...

They are not browser pop ups but Windows-popups like the ones u get when something happens in windows. They are commercial popups and when i "ok-click" them away, a download starts wich i have to cancel. The anoying thing is that they seem to interrupt downloads in kazaa so leaving on the machine while i am not around to kill the popups is senseless as downloads are interrupted after a couple of minutes when the next ad pops up. :frusty:

I tried to de-install windows messenger like statet in the "Tips - sections" using this command : RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

it didn't help though. :blink:

Hardware:

I am on DSL behind a D-Link 604 Router with DMZ activated on my machine. Yes, that probably IS the reason for the ad-pop ups.

But isn't there a way to stop those pop-ups any other way than putting the Router-Firewall back up and opening all the ports i need? I am an advanced user, but router configuartion still is a new field to me. Also, english is not my mother tounge which makes technical terms even more cryptic.

Someone told me, he stops em with his Firewall. I am using ZoneAlarm Pro, didn't help me out.

Does someone have the same problem and came up with a solution?
I would be thankfull for any help.

P.S. I tried to search this section of the forum, but when i start searching, i get to a page where it says i am not signed in... hmmm So please, if there already is an answer to this in the forum, please post a direct link? Coolness.

Thanks again for any help!

Mike

~FunK_mOb~
03-23-2004, 01:47 PM
When you say kazaa,you mean kazaa or kazaa-lite?
If it's kazaa...wel duh,it's infested with spy- and adware so that would explain it all.
And even when using k-lite there are still some files that come with a pop-up when you preview or open them after dl'ing it.Not much you can do about that.
Best thing to do is to run adaware or spybot to get rid of spy- and adware.
Most likely that will get rid of the annoying pop-ups.
If not someone else will have to help you out 'cause i'm out of answers on this one :)

michdo23
03-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Hi there,

thanks for replying!

But still no go.

I am using Kazaa++ 2.4.3 with dietkazaa 2.62 built 6

I tried ad aware but it didn't help.

I think it is not an external ad-program that couses those popups, because the popups have no pictures and no formated text. Just a plain windows-alert box like the ones u get when installing a windows programm or doing some work with windows.
Also, they appear out of nothing, without me even touching the mouse. Every 5 to 10 minutes or so... :ph34r: pretty sneaky... I bet its an "open port" problem, cause they won't show up when the Router-Firewall is up.
But i hope there is another way to get rid of em, other than putting the hardware-firewall up again. :helpsmile:

Lite
03-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Are these messenger service pop-ups? Do you run XP/2000? If that is the case follow these steps and it will not happen

Start > Run >services.msc >Disable "Messenger Service"

baccyman
03-23-2004, 04:53 PM
or try getting a pop-up blocker. you can find some here

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=...earch=+Go%2521+ (http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=pop-up+killer&tg=dl-2001&search=+Go%2521+)

h1
03-23-2004, 09:45 PM
:huh: He already said he'd removed Messenger. :ninja:

You might be infected with a virus there, try a virus scanner. :)

michdo23
03-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Hi again peeps,

first of all, thanks for the replys!

Pop-up stopper doesn not work, tried that before. As i said, i think its a windows problem...no external proggies involved...

Did a complete Virus scan as well... no go.

I also tried to deinstall windows messenger (not msn!) by using this command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

like it was stated in the TIPS-Section of this forum.

@Lite: Yes i run Windows XP + SP1 and :

yes exactly, those are messenger service pop-ups. I was looking for the right term in english! I tried to follow your hint and went into "services.msc"
and disabled the messenger service (put it to "deactivated").
But: :frusty: Still get those pop ups.... Seems like we are on the right track though at least everyone knows now, what kind of pop-ups i mean :01: !!

1. Do i need to reboot to maked the change work?
2. Or maybe i should disable all non-vital services in "services.msc" an then enable them one by one again to see wich one causes the pop-ups?

Again, i think Lite is on the right track! It seems to be the "messenger service" who is stated there to "Transfer NET - SEND and Warningmessages between Clients and Servers" (Or something like that , i translated it from German)

Any suggestions? Thanks for keeping up with me, maybe this one is a real challlenge for a change?

Greets and thanks :D

Mike

michdo23
03-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Ok heres an update on the problem (and to bring it up to the top again)

Windows Messenger Service DEAKTIVATED
Virusscanning: aktive
PopUp bLocker: active
ZoneAlarm Pro with webfilter: Aktive

I still get the popups from some windows messenge service. Repeat, those are NOT browser popups.

Any other suggestions? Getting kinda frustrated here...

Thanks

Mike

MUSLEMAN
03-24-2004, 11:11 AM
have you tried admuncher?? you got a port open some where boss

michdo23
03-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi
as i said...its not an AD problem....

Its a windows service popup!!!!!

Yes i have an open port since my PC is on DMZ configuration behind a router..

I am just looking for a way to stop those service popups!

Quote" Windows Messenger Service DEAKTIVATED
Virusscanning: aktive
PopUp bLocker: active
ZoneAlarm Pro with webfilter: Aktive

I still get the popups from some windows messenge service. Repeat, those are NOT browser popups.

Any other suggestions? Getting kinda frustrated here..."

thanks

MagicNakor
03-24-2004, 11:43 AM
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

:ninja:

michdo23
03-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi peeps...sorry to bother again , no offence but... did u read the last postings at ALL!?

I mean , i write this for like the 3rd time....

I Already Have deactivated windows messenger service!!! Thas why i keep posting and hitting reload for the last 12 hours!... The popups keep showing up.

I also ran XP-AntiSpy in the meantime and diabled every messenger in there INCLUDING the messenger service..

see last posting(s) PLEASE <_<

Any help? Thanks&#33;

Mike

MUSLEMAN
03-24-2004, 12:07 PM
can you please run adaware then

also does this happen when any p2p is on or even when they are off??

michdo23
03-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi Musle,

Already ran adaware. No effect. ran admuncher as well just to make sure lol ... no effect though

This ONLYhappens when a p2p is running. I noticed though, that when running shareazaa they wont pop up... at least didn&#39;t get any... maybe it was just a coincedence, it was not running that long..

greets
Mike

muchspl2
03-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@24 March 2004 - 06:43
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

:ninja:
I think he didn&#39;t do it right either
try again, then reboot and see if that fixes it

michdo23
03-24-2004, 12:49 PM
...did and checked that many times before by using various methods.... but i am willing to do it again... checked the messenger in the services like, again, and YEP its stopped and put on "deaktivated"

i used to check for it by using xp-Antyspy , this command: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%&#092;inf&#092;msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and also did/checked it again by hand... no effect... :blink:

hmmm...

greets, mike

Lite
03-24-2004, 05:10 PM
Windows Messenger has NOTHING to do with the messenger service&#33;

Follow the instructions of the website MagicNakor gave you it should stop this pop-ups (i do the same)

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Windows XP Home

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 1. Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 2. Click Performance and Maintenance
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 3. Click Administrative Tools
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 4. Double click Services Scroll
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 5. down and highlight "Messenger"
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 6. Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 7. Click the STOP button.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 8. Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 9. Click OK

Please try again, it might have not worked first time :(

muchspl2
03-25-2004, 02:11 AM
yea dude I not sure you understand
only three things can cause what you say
all have been covered in this thread`

bulio
03-25-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Lite@24 March 2004 - 17:10

Follow the instructions of the website MagicNakor gave you it should stop this pop-ups (i do the same)

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Windows XP Home

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 1. Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 2. Click Performance and Maintenance
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 3. Click Administrative Tools
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 4. Double click Services Scroll
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 5. down and highlight "Messenger"
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 6. Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 7. Click the STOP button.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 8. Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 9. Click OK

did you try this?

zapjb
03-25-2004, 04:31 AM
I quickly scanned the post & replies, so don&#39;t bite my head off if this has been covered.

You mentioned this only happens when running a p2p, but not Shareaza. If your running KL go into options & select Ignore all incoming messages. Somebody imo is using this service to spam.

I&#39;m pretty sure the above is it. But also you need Spybot S&D. AAW is weak in comparison.

Cyril
03-25-2004, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by bulio+25 March 2004 - 14:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bulio @ 25 March 2004 - 14:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lite@24 March 2004 - 17:10

Windows XP Home

&nbsp; 1. Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
&nbsp; 2. Click Performance and Maintenance
&nbsp; 3. Click Administrative Tools
&nbsp; 4. Double click Services Scroll
&nbsp; 5. down and highlight "Messenger"
&nbsp; 6. Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
&nbsp; 7. Click the STOP button.
&nbsp; 8. Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
&nbsp; 9. Click OK

did you try this? [/b][/quote]
Bulio&#39;s suggestion works (wish I had seen it earlier myself). You need to make sure that you not only deactivate, but disable, as it is set to auto so once you reboot it starts up again.

zapjb
03-25-2004, 08:01 AM
You guys keep on repeating the same fix to him.

michdo23 Posted on 24 March 2004 - 07:31
This ONLYhappens when a p2p is running. I noticed though, that when running shareazaa they wont pop up... at least didn&#39;t get any...

I think my fix is right.

zapjb Posted on 24 March 2004 - 23:31
...You mentioned this only happens when running a p2p, but not Shareaza. If your running KL go into options & select Ignore all incoming messages. Somebody imo is using this service to spam.