PDA

View Full Version : Why Was It Closed?

Busyman
03-23-2004, 04:31 PM
It's interesting that a topic of mine was closed.

No explanation given.

It was called STFU and GTFO, a rather light-hearted and whimsical rant about lifes goings ons.

Was because I said the word fuck or European?

Was it considered spam amongst the ubiquitous spamming running rampant?

Was it because I am American amongst many other international playas?

Was it because I made reference to soccer?

Was it because some certain esteemed and upstanding members complained (I'm sure it wasn't many)?

Was it the :angry: :angry: that made it a closer?

Did I insult and anorexic but saying to EAT?

Or was it a fat person that sued McDonald's?

Was it too serious for the Lounge...oh wait, it wasn't serious.

Someone tell me as I could not PM the closer because ......I don't know who closed it? (but I've got a suspicion)

btw, I have recently been made aware that my tit sig violates board rules....
well it's an image stored on your servers and furthermore I am not the first to have it for I am not the one who uploaded it.

Simply deleting the offending sig seemed to work before when my sig was to big. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway enough about that. Just looking for the courtesy extended to others on the board. That is all. ;)

Virtualbody1234
03-23-2004, 04:46 PM
I don't know about the closed thread but...

Then why is it still there?

well it's an image stored on your servers and furthermore I am not the first to have it for I am not the one who uploaded it.
Perhaps the person who uploaded it was told to stop displaying it just like you.

Simply deleting the offending sig seemed to work before when my sig was to big.
Ok. Done as requested.

Rappy
03-23-2004, 04:50 PM
so why was it closed

I cann a petition to reopen it :lol:

Busyman
03-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@23 March 2004 - 12:46
I don't know about the closed thread but...

Then why is it still there?

Perhaps the person who uploaded it was told to stop displaying it just like you.

Simply deleting the offending sig seemed to work before when my sig was to big.
Ok. Done as requested.
Why is it still there?

I just got the PM.

I recall IKE removing a sig of mine because it was too big.
It would seem the inverse would have been more logical.

An offending sig be removed since it will always be offensive, one too large be allowed to be scaled down.

Simple logic.

Regarding the sig, I won't mention who has it still (because it is a most lovely animation :D and I am no snitch), but perhaps a mod has already run across it and did nothing. That I am positive of. ;)

Thanks for removing it. I wondered why that wasn't done already.

{I}{K}{E}
03-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@23 March 2004 - 17:08

7. Signatures and Avatars will be restricted in size and content. Consult rules 2 and 3 for restricted content. Combined file sizes for images used for avatars and in signatures may not exceed 100,000 bytes. Additionally, Signatures may not exceed 500x150 pixels in dimension. Signatures and avatars that do not comply may be removed or edited by a moderator or administator without notification. Avatars can be uploaded. The maximum dimension for an avatar can not exceed 80x80 pixels

some mods first PM a member before editing some dont ;)

Rappy
03-23-2004, 05:15 PM
some mods are nice some arent

{I}{K}{E}
03-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by RapFan@23 March 2004 - 17:15
all mods are nice ;)
it depends on the situation and the person in question ;)

some people here make the mods to act not nice :P

Rappy
03-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}+23 March 2004 - 17:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ({I}{K}{E} @ 23 March 2004 - 17:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RapFan@23 March 2004 - 17:15
all mods are nice ;)
it depends on the situation and the person in question ;)

some people here make the mods to act not nice :P [/b][/quote]
ans some mods like to pick on certin members when they arent in a good mood

Busyman
03-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}+23 March 2004 - 13:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ({I}{K}{E} @ 23 March 2004 - 13:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@23 March 2004 - 17:08

7. Signatures and Avatars will be restricted in size and content. Consult rules 2 and 3 for restricted content. Combined file sizes for images used for avatars and in signatures may not exceed 100,000 bytes. Additionally, Signatures may not exceed 500x150 pixels in dimension. Signatures and avatars that do not comply may be removed or edited by a moderator or administator without notification. Avatars can be uploaded. The maximum dimension for an avatar can not exceed 80x80 pixels

some mods first PM a member before editing some dont ;) [/b][/quote]
That&#39;s blatantly obvious.

Either way I guess it&#39;s not big deal unless your a mod.

I&#39;ve never really had a problem with a mod because you can&#39;t take this stuff too seriously.

{I}{K}{E}
03-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by RapFan@23 March 2004 - 17:20
ans some mods like to pick on certin members when they arent in a good mood
some users have always something to complain about :P

seiya_33
03-23-2004, 05:36 PM
i found that thread insulting , maybe someone complained to the mods? (not me)

RPerry
03-23-2004, 05:36 PM
and some Mods get tired of the same people stirring up shit B)

{I}{K}{E}
03-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by RPerry@23 March 2004 - 17:36
and some Mods get tired of the same people stirring up shit&nbsp; B)
maybe you should change &#39;some&#39; into ALL :P

atiVidia
03-23-2004, 05:56 PM
maybe we should get back on topic: who closed the thread?

{I}{K}{E}
03-23-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@23 March 2004 - 17:56
who closed the thread?
it was closed by a request of a member.

I did not close it, but I can understand why (because of the last post by Busyman)

Rappy
03-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by RPerry@23 March 2004 - 17:36
and some Mods get tired of the same people stirring up shit B)
and some mods like to keep stirring it

RPerry
03-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by RapFan+23 March 2004 - 12:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RapFan @ 23 March 2004 - 12:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RPerry@23 March 2004 - 17:36
and some Mods get tired of the same people stirring up shit&nbsp; B)
and some mods like to keep stirring it [/b][/quote]
and so do certain members <_<

DanB
03-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Can I guess the next line? :D

Rappy
03-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by danb@23 March 2004 - 18:40
Can I guess the next line?&nbsp; :D
no you can&#39;t

Some mods like to spam <_<

Busyman
03-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by seiya_33@23 March 2004 - 13:36
i found that thread insulting , maybe someone complained to the mods? (not me)
Can you enlighten me as to what was insulting?

Busyman
03-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}+23 March 2004 - 14:01--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ({I}{K}{E} @ 23 March 2004 - 14:01)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@23 March 2004 - 17:56
who closed the thread?
it was closed by a request of a member.

I did not close it, but I can understand why (because of the last post by Busyman) [/b][/quote]
2 things regarding that.

1. Closed by the request of a member? A member can be offended by the anything, request a topic be closed, and it is then closed?
I was not personally attacking a member, which I might add, has been done with no such closing. Maybe I should have put it Funny Stuff to automatically lighten the post. Since when was the Lounge the Talk Club?

2. What was offending about my last post? Telling an anorexic to eat or a person to count from 4 to 7?

I would like to know from you IKE what exactly was offensive. ;)

DanB
03-23-2004, 06:56 PM
I was insulted it took me so long to work out what GTFO meant :(

Busyman
03-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by danb@23 March 2004 - 14:56
I was insulted it took me so long to work out what GTFO meant :(
So it was YOUUUU&#33;&#33;&#33; You&#39;re the one who complained&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry: :angry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now GTFO&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

CornerPocket
03-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by atiVidia@23 March 2004 - 10:56
might I add not I..................oh yeah can we GTFO already... :P

Did I say that :o :-"

{I}{K}{E}
03-23-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@23 March 2004 - 18:56
I&#39;m not gonna post a whole reply on WHY I think that it should have been closed. because I did not close it &#33;

I dont mind if that topic is open or closed.

I only know that 1 mod and a user thought it was not needed to post that kind of replies and understand if others think the same,

1. Closed by the request of a member? A member can be offended by the anything, request a topic be closed, and it is then closed?

maybe yeah he/she was offended because of a reply made by you.

Anorexic?

STFU&#33;&#33;&#33; and GTFO&#33;&#33;&#33;&nbsp;

.....and EAT SOMETHING&#33;&#33;&#33; Don&#39;t let bullshit societal pressures make you think a skeleton is good looking. There are plenty of guys who love a fat ass (I&#39;m one of&#39;em). Go to McDonald&#39;s&nbsp; .....but don&#39;t sue if you go overboard.

Also I dont understand why you are going MAD about a closed topic &#33;&#33;
Its the same as with signatures mods can edit topics/delete them without notifying the author of the topic&#33;

Someone tell me as I could not PM the closer because ......I don&#39;t know who closed it? (but I&#39;ve got a suspicion)

Then PM that mod and ask if he know anything about it, or you can PM a admin.

Busyman
03-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by CornerPocket+23 March 2004 - 15:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CornerPocket @ 23 March 2004 - 15:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@23 March 2004 - 10:56
might I add not I..................oh yeah can we GTFO already... :P

Did I say that :o :-" [/b][/quote]
I am thoroughly disgusted at that remark CornerPocket. Now GTFO&#33;&#33;&#33;

:lol: :lol:

Busyman
03-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}+23 March 2004 - 15:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ({I}{K}{E} @ 23 March 2004 - 15:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@23 March 2004 - 18:56
I&#39;m not gonna post a whole reply on WHY I think that it should have been closed. because I did not close it &#33;

I dont mind if that topic is open or closed.

I only know that 1 mod and a user thought it was not needed to post that kind of replies and understand if others think the same,

maybe yeah he/she was offended because of a reply made by you.

Anorexic?

STFU&#33;&#33;&#33; and GTFO&#33;&#33;&#33;

.....and EAT SOMETHING&#33;&#33;&#33; Don&#39;t let bullshit societal pressures make you think a skeleton is good looking. There are plenty of guys who love a fat ass (I&#39;m one of&#39;em). Go to McDonald&#39;s .....but don&#39;t sue if you go overboard.

Also I dont understand why you are going MAD about a closed topic &#33;&#33;
Its the same as with signatures mods can edit topics/delete them without notifying the author of the topic&#33;

Someone tell me as I could not PM the closer because ......I don&#39;t know who closed it? (but I&#39;ve got a suspicion)

Then PM that mod and ask if he know anything about it, or you can PM a admin. [/b][/quote]
Uhh...IKE....yeah....IKE

Who&#39;s going mad?

{I}{K}{E}
03-23-2004, 07:40 PM
I should have said:

Also I dont understand why you are going Crazy about a closed topic &#33;&#33;

also:

I think you get the point so we should stop this conversation....

atiVidia
03-23-2004, 07:52 PM
d00ds, maybe you should just restart the fucking topic. i mean, come on&#33; is it that hard?

Busyman
03-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Already in the works. ;)

hobbes
03-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Interesting, an obviously over the top rant was closed.

All we know is that "A" member was offended.

Nobody would like to share what was the exact offense, unless it has been PMed to Busybody.

And, as is ALWAYS the case, every MOD but the one who closed it showed up to say nothing helpful.

It is just the lounge, people are allowed to vent. Not every word should be taken literally and judging from the thread as a whole, it was done in jest. Buried under the STFU and GTFO gusto, Busybody was actually making comments about respecting others threads, keeping spam in the appropriate forum, and taking personal responsiblity for ones actions, among other things.

Let&#39;s not little Polly Prissy pants run the forum, or else who is going to have any fun?

Reopen the thread, I doubt anyone will get scarred for life.

If you people can&#39;t understand why folks get angry/annoyed at having their topics closed for no stated reason, and the other mods just make lame excuses about signature size and such, you simply don&#39;t have clue 1 about human nature.

People do not like having their autonomy controlled by random acts of censorship. Simple human nature.

Busyman
03-23-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by hobbes@23 March 2004 - 15:56
Interesting, an obviously over the top rant was closed.

All we know is that "A" member was offended.

Nobody would like to share what was the exact offense, unless it has been PMed to Busybody.

And, as is ALWAYS the case, every MOD but the one who closed it showed up to say nothing helpful.

It is just the lounge, people are allowed to vent. Not every word should be taken literally and judging from the thread as a whole, it was done in jest. Buried under the STFU and GTFO gusto, Busybody was actually making comments about respecting others threads, keeping spam in the appropriate forum, and taking personal responsiblity for ones actions, among other things.

Let&#39;s not little Polly Prissy pants run the forum, or else who is going to have any fun?

Reopen the thread, I doubt anyone will get scarred for life.

If you people can&#39;t understand why folks get angry/annoyed at having their topics closed for no stated reason, and the other mods just make lame excuses about signature size and such, you simply don&#39;t have clue 1 about human nature.

People do not like having their autonomy controlled by random acts of censorship. Simple human nature.
I was PM&#39;ed about my sig and have no problem with that.
It violated board rules. btw the pic is the Lounge now to sneak a peak. ahhhhh

I was just curious as to the rationale behind the topics closing.

If I can&#39;t get an answer, I will not go Billy Dean on anyone or anything like that. :lol: :lol:

To some it is a big deal because you wonder what&#39;s the point in posting here.
Imagine if you posted something that just disappeared afterwards...oh wait that has happened. :lol: :lol:

The topic was merely STFU&#33;&#33;&#33; with commentary.

I am not rated G

h1
03-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Well, I can see what j2k4 meant when he said Busyman doesn&#39;t like to lose. :P

But I think it&#39;s time we kill this thread. ;)

Busyman
03-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@23 March 2004 - 17:26
Well, I can see what j2k4 meant when he said Busyman doesn&#39;t like to lose. :P

But I think it&#39;s time we kill this thread. ;)
Well guess what, you probably just did.

Nice going. ;)

namzuf9
03-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@23 March 2004 - 21:20
To some it is a big deal because you wonder what&#39;s the point in posting here.
Imagine if you posted something that just disappeared afterwards...oh wait that has happened. :lol: :lol:

Indeed it has <_<

Did&#39;nt we have a discussion once about mods closing topics without explaination?
I think its fair that the thread was closed because someone took offense and a mod agreed that it could be offensive. What I dont agree with is it being closed without a quick reply to explain why. IMO it shows a lack of respect to the members that posted in a thread.

Closely related: Has anyone seen my missing posts :rolleyes:

Busyman
03-23-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by namzuf9+23 March 2004 - 18:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (namzuf9 @ 23 March 2004 - 18:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@23 March 2004 - 21:20
Imagine if you posted something that just disappeared afterwards...oh wait that has happened. :lol:&nbsp; :lol:

Indeed it has <_<

Did&#39;nt we have a discussion once about mods closing topics without explaination?
I think its fair that the thread was closed because someone took offense and a mod agreed that it could be offensive. What I dont agree with is it being closed without a quick reply to explain why. IMO it shows a lack of respect to the members that posted in a thread.

Closely related: Has anyone seen my missing posts :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
I remember your missing posts.

That was eerie indeed. That seemed more like a glitch though...but...maybe not. <_<

Adster
03-23-2004, 10:26 PM
There is a certain mod on here who has told me they will refuse when locking a topic to put a explanation in at the end, Not going to say who of course

anyways thats all i have to say about that :huh:

namzuf9
03-23-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Adster@23 March 2004 - 23:26
There is a certain mod on here who has told me they will refuse when&nbsp; locking a topic to put&nbsp; a explanation in at the end, Not going to say who of course

I&#39;m sorry but stuff like that sounds very much like a power trip to me.

oh look I can stop you posting and there&#39;s nothing you can do about it muhahha

Edit:profanity.

bulio
03-23-2004, 11:21 PM
my god, 3 pages of posting about a sig and a closed topic. if this isnt spam, then what is? :lol:

jetje
03-23-2004, 11:34 PM
no powertrip, just doing some things on the board while i was at work... ;)
usually i post reasons when closing it, guess i forgot it this time.... mmm if it was me who closed it... damn Alzheimer :ph34r:

posted this in that topic reopened it have fun...

Originally posted by jetje
stfu and gtfo...
freakin&#39; funny topic...&nbsp; ;)&nbsp; someone complaint about this gues it was me who closed it, normally give an explanation, guess i was in a hurry, must have been that... well see again we mods nevver can make a small error without having big debates about it....
oh and yes must have been the european calling...
so stfu and gtfo.... (why complain about closing a topic while you started with such a topic title&nbsp; :lol: ) so stfu and gtfo
ps the guy complaining about this post in here... and sort it out, i&#39;m off going to bed&nbsp; :frusty:

so stfu and gtfoi

namzuf9
03-23-2004, 11:43 PM
This is why I think its a good idea to post why a thread has been closed, it saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

jetje
03-23-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by namzuf9@24 March 2004 - 01:43
This is why I think its a good idea to post why a thread has been closed, it saves a lot of hassle in the long run.
i guess i do that in 9 out of 10...
just a mistake...

still... if it was me who done it... the alzheimer... aaargh :ghostface:

Virtualbody1234
03-24-2004, 12:06 AM
Well you see... We can close this now and then people complain, even if there is a reason. Then again we could leave it open and then the people complain that there is spam.

No matter what the mods choose to do we hear complaints about it.

And just remember that the person who started this complaint did so already in contempt of the sig rule. He even said so himself... Just let the mods fix it. Talk about giving his own power away... As if mods don&#39;t have better things to do.

Reality check: Members causing problems is the reason mods exist. If there wasn&#39;t problems to begin with, we wouldn&#39;t be needed.

evildon
03-24-2004, 12:28 AM
its a bad precesident to close a topic because one user is offended...if i complain to a mod about every topic will they close it based on one complaint..should i try a little experiment and see? do the words arbuitrary and capricious mean anything?I know i cant spell....I read it and can undersatnd how someone with a weight problem might not agree but to close it..seems excessive and for some mods not to pm the user first seems either lazy or irresponsible or evasive and doesnt seem too much to ask or expect...

EDIT
Actually a Mod does not need to forewarn, we do as a courtesy at times. Others we can simply take action deemed necessary or fit based on the post itself.

It&#39;s part of the Board Rules that some do not adhere to or review. If members did they would not find themselves under this type of questionable predicament.

There will be no racial, ethnic, or gender based insults or any other discriminatory comments or content.
That in itself gives a Mod/Admin any right to edit/close as seen fit. It fell along those lines within a few members views, not just one.

Just another person taking a crack at the Mods in general, I for one I&#39;m tired of being branded. <_<

namzuf9
03-24-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by jetje+24 March 2004 - 00:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetje @ 24 March 2004 - 00:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-namzuf9@24 March 2004 - 01:43
i guess i do that in 9 out of 10...
just a mistake...

still... if it was me who done it... the alzheimer... aaargh :ghostface: [/b][/quote]
I was&#39;nt directly commenting directly towards yourself so I hope I hav&#39;nt offended you (we are all human :lol: )

@VB1234 Reality check: To complain is to be human. :D

Busyman
03-24-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by bulio+23 March 2004 - 19:21--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bulio @ 23 March 2004 - 19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> my god, 3 pages of posting about a sig and a closed topic. if this isnt spam, then what is? :lol: [/b]
Well there are some who agree with me, some that don&#39;t. Spam has no point. This has a point and it&#39;s been made without me actually attacking anyone.

Originally posted by jetje@
no powertrip, just doing some things on the board while i was at work...&nbsp;
usually i post reasons when closing it, guess i forgot it this time.... mmm if it was me who closed it... damn Alzheimer&nbsp;

posted this in that topic reopened it have fun...

I figured it was you because of the PM about the sig (which I had no problem with).
(I almost never get a PM from a mod)...but I wasn&#39;t going to PM every mod to find out.
Just wanted an answer to the closing that is all.
So you accidentely closed it......without an explanation <_< Yeah..uh..ok.
That&#39;s good one....NOT&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

Seems that it was closed due to a complaint and a look at the topic title...which resembles a very popular STFU thread that wasn&#39;t closed.

<!--QuoteBegin-Virtualbody1234
Well you see... We can close this now and then people complain, even if there is a reason. Then again we could leave it open and then the people complain that there is spam.

No matter what the mods choose to do we hear complaints about it.

And just remember that the person who started this complaint did so already in contempt of the sig rule. He even said so himself... Just let the mods fix it. Talk about giving his own power away... As if mods don&#39;t have better things to do.

Reality check: Members causing problems is the reason mods exist. If there wasn&#39;t problems to begin with, we wouldn&#39;t be needed.
[/quote]

No offense Virtualbody but you are bandwagoning. There has been ONE complaint about this being spam.
I never complained about the sig rule.
I said something about the sig right after I got the PM. (read the beginning of the thread ;) ).
Please get facts straight before trying to help out. Mmmmbyebye.

Asking questions does not equal complaining.

Either way thanks for the response jetje. ;) :D

Either way it&#39;s all good

Rip The Jacker
03-24-2004, 02:38 AM
Woops. Sorry I&#39;m late, I&#39;m the mod who closed the thread.

Busyman I&#39;m not sure if you got the answers you wanted, but if you&#39;d like, PM me and we&#39;ll discuss why the thread was closed like gentlemen. :)

This thread isn&#39;t necessary.