PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Way To Block Spoofers

Benaiah
03-28-2004, 03:40 PM
almost everysong out there now has a source or 2 thats sharing a file turned to static.

I think that most of these users would be from the some software protection company and thus within certain ip ranges. is there any software which blocks these ranges from p2p networks?

Mr. Blunt
03-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Benaiah@28 March 2004 - 07:40
almost everysong out there now has a source or 2 thats sharing a file turned to static.

I think that most of these users would be from the some software protection company and thus within certain ip ranges. is there any software which blocks these ranges from p2p networks?
I believe if you update your Bad IP Blocker with the PG IP Ranges, some IP ranges that share fake files will be blocked.

Switeck
03-29-2004, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Blunt@28 March 2004 - 14:52
I believe if you update your Bad IP Blocker with the PG IP Ranges, some IP ranges that share fake files will be blocked.
This is correct.

However, once the fakes have spread a lot "infecting the network", you end up downloading the fakes from regular users which it is NOT good to block.

The way the fakes are often rigged up now, they use the same basic file and rename it to 100's or 1,000's of different things -- so no matter WHAT you search from you find fakes and each fake links to other fakes due to filesizes and 300KB hashes but the filenames differ immensely.

So a clue of what's fake and what isn't is when you see more than 1 filename for the same file. Filesizes even change a little sometimes on fakes!

emilydeluca
04-27-2004, 12:04 AM
<span style='font-family:Courier'><span style='font-family:Courier'><span style='font-family:Times'> :unsure: I totally know what you&#39;re talking about &#33; I&#39;ve been trying to do some research about where all the bogus files are coming from.. and I&#39;m not finding any info on it. It&#39;s like, don&#39;t even think about downloading a new song because for every one real version, 80 fake versions are out there. Now they&#39;ve changed the noise. Maybe they&#39;ve realize just how unnerving the static is and now the songs just fade in and out or just out. Is there no way to fix this??? I&#39;ve been trying to download five or six specific songs for over a week now... SOMEONE MAKE IT STOP&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</span></span></span>

erRor67
04-27-2004, 01:07 AM
Well, if you are downloading mp3 files from Kazaa then use MP3Shield. It filters out the currupt music so you dont waste time downloading it. http://www.mp3shield.com ;)

emilydeluca
04-27-2004, 02:52 AM
Well, that&#39;s exactly what I did and it won&#39;t run on my computer. When I try to load the program it says "this application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way" and the memory could not be "written". Are is there any other software like this that you know of? Regardless, that still doesn&#39;t fix the problem of the bogus file ratio 800:1.

erRor67
04-27-2004, 03:12 AM
I heard that bug was fixed and a new version came out v2.0B. You probably have 2.0. Try getting the newer version and run the program. :)