PDA

View Full Version : Suprised Of Pc Gamers!

bilko
03-29-2004, 04:03 PM
firstly i do buy games alot and love to taken them online however....

im a little suprised that pc gamer dont wine little more about having to upgrade so often to get THE BEST out of a game - visuals being important

for example - far cry
i read a post where someone had a ati 9800 pro and found the game laggy on high settings....... this is a top card......

someone replies...its ment to be played on next gen hardware....

OH i see, so to get the BEST out of this game i gotta fork out 3 - 400 bones on a "next gen" grahics card

sometime i can agree with console users arguing that there type of game is more enjoyable, at least when i buy a console game i know its gonna play ITS BEST to how the developers wanted the end user to view the products

anyways when is this next gen stuff out?

Mad Cat
03-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Give me the top hardware: Dual Opterons or Xeons, 2 gigs of PC4200 RAM, Dual 10,000 RPM Raptor HDs etc and I bet if you installed some of the crap spyware people install you could get the original Unreal Tournament to go slow.

Consoles run very few processes, and I bet with a game optimised for no OS you could get it to run much better.
Linux is the way forward really, very customisable, running a barebones OS would be easy.

Cygnuz-Y
03-29-2004, 04:21 PM
No the industry isnt screwing us up,they have been doing this since the beginning, if there were no campanies making those kind of games, then we would still be playing pacman, new games means new hardware, thats why PC games have Setting, just set everything to low and play the game....

abu_has_the_power
03-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by bilko@29 March 2004 - 11:03

for example - far cry
i read a post where someone had a ati 9800 pro and found the game laggy on high settings....... this is a top card......

that would be moi.

it works great now. doing 80fps regularly. and u can't play something like this on a console. no console would be able to handle it, unless it was toned down heavily. doom 3 port on xbox will look like nothing compared to the pc one

Cygnuz-Y
03-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power+29 March 2004 - 16:22--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (abu_has_the_power @ 29 March 2004 - 16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bilko@29 March 2004 - 11:03

for example - far cry

that would be moi.

it works great now. doing 80fps regularly. and u can&#39;t play something like this on a console. no console would be able to handle it, unless it was toned down heavily. doom 3 port on xbox will look like nothing compared to the pc one [/b][/quote]
What did you do to run it faster?

bilko
03-29-2004, 05:13 PM
sorry on such a dull pointless topic, but i have a question
do u know of any sides that i can get hold of game manuals such as unreal 2004 not sure of the controls and cant seem to find any on google

know of any sites

Marius24
03-29-2004, 05:31 PM
i believe the reason that everyone needs to update so often to get better performance is becasue computers are getting better and better so pc games get better and better. If you can&#39;t keep up, then just run the game on lower settings. It will still work :P

:)

RGX
03-29-2004, 05:56 PM
You want next generation graphics, at full settings? You need next generation hardware. Simple as. You arnt going to be able to run most of the latest games at max settings because they have a lot of features implemented that only next generation cards fully support and/or run well.

The alternative is that PC gaming doesnt progress at all, and we all stick to wondering at the amazing graphics of Doom. <_<

Seeing as this is such an issue, why not settle for a nice 266 with 128mb of ram and a voodoo 2 and have fun, boycott this terrible evoloutionary step in gaming technology.

silverccrow
03-29-2004, 07:01 PM
First of all dont compare consoles with pcs doing that
Your are showing us your big ignorance&#33;

silent VI
03-30-2004, 12:50 AM
i got ps2 x-box and a desent computer, the only games i play on a comp are games that are NOT released on a concel. game sytems are desined pretty much for one reason.... to play games at maxiumum preformance, unless youv got the cash for one of those nuts alienware crazy computers geting a concel for cheap is the way to go,and you only upgrade once every couple of years. besides there is so more you can be doing and learning with you comp than playing games

fatality
03-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by bilko@29 March 2004 - 17:13
sorry on such a dull pointless topic, but i have a question
do u know of any sides that i can get hold of game manuals such as unreal 2004 not sure of the controls and cant seem to find any on google

know of any sites
the manule of ut 2k4 gets installed wth the rest of the files so just search around the folder and open it wth acrobat reader.... i don like manules anyway becasue the controls can be changed ingame anywy

Keikan
03-30-2004, 08:14 AM
trust me, we live

BigBoo
03-30-2004, 11:37 AM
you can change the settings on games to your pc. most current games will run on fairly cheap systems. also with being able to buy hardware seperatly in the short term its cheaper than a console where we have to upgrade all at once

DWells55
03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
I have Far Cry, and I get 30-40 FPS most of the time. I run it a 1024x768 with the settings on Medium. I have no spyware, adware, viruses, or other crap. My 3DMark03 score is 5500. I have an Athlon XP 3000+, 1 GB PC2700 DDR RAM, and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I hsould be getting better performance. I wish I knew how to toggle the framerate in Splinter Cell PT, see how it&#39;s running at 1024x768 at High...

Bowen747x
03-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by silverccrow@29 March 2004 - 15:01
First of all dont compare consoles with pcs doing that
Your are showing us your big ignorance&#33;
what are you talking about, obviously PCs will b compared 2 consoles as a majority of people use both to play video games and they will always b compared in the different ways the go at playing games.

also, there is no doubt in my mind that we ARE getting screwed, but it is unintentional bcuz it is not really the industries fault, but our own, we r always begging 4 better smoother looking games and bcuz of that we force the industry 2 try to update there shit more and more so they can beat out the compition... take 4 example how much unreal has upgraded compared 2 counterstrike

Bowen747x
03-30-2004, 01:44 PM
@BILKO... if u actually read my post :P quit crying that ur pc cant handle a game perfectly, theres nothing u can do, just b happy its as good as it or play it on a console where there r no hardware probs

Colly
03-31-2004, 04:05 AM
And here I am running an 850Mhz Intel PIII on a Tyan Tiger 100 motheboard with only 448mb and one of the CPUs installed and an ATI Rage Fury 32mb AGP2 card (aw gee - it only goes 64fps at 1024x768 w/32bit color) and an ATI TV Wonder PCI card and it all runs fine, although the drivers were a bitch to load because of all the interplay between the two ATI cards + WDM + DirectX. Also, forget about doing video capture with dual CPU&#39;s. Everything else works just fine. Granted, I can&#39;t play Syberia at 1024x768 & 32bit color while simultaneously using the PC as a DVR to record TV shows off the CATV cable (hooked up like this: PC/AV hookup diagram (http://webpages.charter.net/Collys/misc/FULLPCAV.JPG) ), but then I can&#39;t really do anything else during digital video recording, which NO console is doing yet except Tivo & Replay. And with earlier cards, I&#39;ve been using the PC to record TV since 1994.

The game I&#39;m currently playing is Syberia, but it&#39;s not a shoot-em-up so I doubt anyone here would be interested in it. Gamestop.com has free demo downloads for Syberia and Syberia 2 if you&#39;re curious though. Think "Myst, but with people and more sensible puzzles". Oh, plus the cute babe character Kate Walker, who is your game play avatar.

So here I am, still satisfied with a 4 year old ATI Rage Fury and 6 year old 100FSB motherboard and I don&#39;t wanta hear any more whining from the geeks who can&#39;t afford a 4GHz dual-Xeon system with 8gigs of RAM and the newest video card to come out since the year 2010 (like the guy I recently heard on TechTV agonizing over whether or not a system that sounded just like that would be good enough for his "needs"&#33; Of coure, Leo told him, "If you&#39;ve got the bucks, why not go for it?" It was only in the &#036;8,000 range. What the heck? Why not? Meanwhile, I&#39;m trying to scrounge about &#036;300 so I can replace my memory with 4 sets of 256MB PC100 and max out the Tyan Tiger100 motherboard. Mind you now, I don&#39;t expect ANYBODY to feel sorry for me, &#39;cause I&#39;m laughing just as hard as you are about this.

Besides, all the stuff you buy THIS year is going to become obsolete NEXT year as soon as the PCI-Express bus makes AGP obsolete. So watch out&#33;

Eeeuuw&#33; Worse yet, I just used Aida32 and discovered my memory banks contain the following very weird mix (that I put in as I could afford it):
1 256mb PC 100 unbuffered SDRAM
1 64MB PC 100 unbuffered SDRAM
2 64MB PC 66 (gasp&#33;) ECC (which I don&#39;t think you&#39;re supposed to mix with non-ECC) SDRAMs
Weirdly enough, XP Pro is running fine with this oddball assortment of memory.

The good news is that I see now, I only need to buy 3 sets of 256MB chips. I THOUGHT I had 2 64&#39;s and 2 128&#39;s until I realized that didn&#39;t add up to the right total. It&#39;ll probably run lots better if I replace the 3 64&#39;s with 256&#39;s that match the one I already have.

Confession: at the time I bought them, the Tyan Tiger 100 was the only ATX motherboard I could find with 5 PCI slots AND a couple ISA slots AND an AGP2 slot AND the capacity for up to 1GB of RAM AND dual-CPU slot-1 sockets. Also, when I got the ATI Rage Fury card, it was the first and ONLY 3D accelerator AGP2 card on the market with 32MB of onboard ram. The other makers didn&#39;t come out with 32Mb until, oh, maybe 2 to 4 months later. So yeah, if you&#39;re gonna push limits, go ahead and do it, but be prepared to sit back and shut up for the next 5 years because you&#39;ll be broke at least that long. In between times, I&#39;m trying to maybe resurrect an older maybe 300Mhz machine to install WIN98SE on to play the dozens of games I still own that are not playable under XP Pro.

And console envy? None here. I play the few PS1 games that I like from copies of rental CD&#39;s using EPSXE on the PC along with a USB connected Axis ColorPad from Interact (which happens to match the exact control layout of the standard PS1 game controller). Mostly I only have PS1 games of Spyro (1, 2, & 3), Legend of Mana, and about 4 others. I never owned a PlayStation console, but I liked the Spyro game I played on a demo model at Sears once. At least with PC&#39;s the next generation of games still PLAYS on the same PC. With consoles, they usually (with rare exceptions) guarantee that your old games will NOT play on the new consoles and the ALWAYS guarantee that the new games will NOT play on the older consoles. The ONLY exceptions I&#39;ve seen for this are the Atari 2600 to 7800 migration, the Nintendo GameBoy line, and ONCE when Sony went from PS1 to PS2 models. Meanwhile, I could dual boot my 800Mhz PC and play any PC compatible game ever made. In fact, I have a PC software emulator that even lets me play my ancient TRS-80 Model I games&#33; But cut them some slack - they had to run THOSE games on a PC that had 16kilobytes of RAM and a 1.78Mhz 8-bit processor. By comparison, the original GameBoy has about 2MB of ram and more pixels, and probably a 20Mhz cpu, I&#39;m guessing.

I can see it now: Twenty years from now, the gamers are going to be laughing at all of us and making comments like "They called it &#39;3D&#39; and they didn&#39;t even have holographic video systems&#33; hahahaha" and "They hadn&#39;t even made the first terabyte/teraflop/AI PC yet." and "They had FANS in their PCs&#33; Can you imagine such antiques?" Worse yet: They&#39;ll be talking to the AI game characters who&#39;ll be getting the jokes and laughing along with them&#33;

abu_has_the_power
03-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Cygnuz&#045;Y+29 March 2004 - 11:29--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cygnuz-Y @ 29 March 2004 - 11:29)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@29 March 2004 - 16:22
<!--QuoteBegin-bilko@29 March 2004 - 11:03

for example - far cry

that would be moi.

it works great now. doing 80fps regularly. and u can&#39;t play something like this on a console. no console would be able to handle it, unless it was toned down heavily. doom 3 port on xbox will look like nothing compared to the pc one
What did you do to run it faster? [/b][/quote]
before, everything was on very high. i just set it to high for all of them, and set aa to 1 and af to 1. not much different

unreal_dude
04-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by colly
Besides, all the stuff you buy THIS year is going to become obsolete NEXT year as soon as the PCI-Express bus makes AGP obsolete. So watch out&#33;

Exactly &#33;&#33; Plus PCI Xpress has got better bwidth than AGP. Hey Nv40 and R420 are also going 2 come out soon. May for nv40 and it will b 3 times faster than the current cards &#33;&#33;

:lol:

Actually come to think of it the industry is really trying to screw us consumers &#33;&#33; Six months upgrade cycles have come down to 3 &#33; LOL :lol: mayb the nxt time u buy a card it will b obsolete by the time u finish payin the bill.

:lol: :lol:

Mad Cat
04-01-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by unreal_dude+1 April 2004 - 19:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (unreal_dude @ 1 April 2004 - 19:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-colly

Exactly &#33;&#33; Plus PCI Xpress has got better bwidth than AGP. Hey Nv40 and R420 are also going 2 come out soon. May for nv40 and it will b 3 times faster than the current cards &#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
Hah, AGP still isn&#39;t fully used. The best thing about PCI-E is the fact it can go up and down at the same time well.

Who says the NV40 will be 3 times faster? nVidia? Exactly. If you&#39;re trying to sell something, you are definetly not going to say:
"Not much of a technological advance, same old .13 micron technique, goes about the same with maybe 3 fps more."
You are going to say:
"This is the biggest technological advance since silicon&#33; In tests the card was up to 5 times faster than current products [doesn&#39;t tell you what products :rolleyes: ]"

Basing things on PR talk is stupid, wait for real benchmarks.

Afronaut
04-01-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Colly@31 March 2004 - 06:05

I can see it now: Twenty years from now, the gamers are going to be laughing at all of us and making comments like "They called it &#39;3D&#39; and they didn&#39;t even have holographic video systems&#33; hahahaha" and "They hadn&#39;t even made the first terabyte/teraflop/AI PC yet." and "They had FANS in their PCs&#33; Can you imagine such antiques?" Worse yet: They&#39;ll be talking to the AI game characters who&#39;ll be getting the jokes and laughing along with them&#33;
:lol: :lol: :lol: ¨

Exactly, the pace we go forward with the technology is amazing.

The Software/Hardware Compability has drawbacks like this situation, games dont run well, everything needs atleast
a patch version 1.1 when the product hits the shells.
Or, some things dont run well at all without the latest Hardware.
Its the price we pay for getting forward so fast.
I can still remember the C64, my first Amiga-500 etc,

We have come a long since those days, I cant wait for tomorrow.

:)

RGX
04-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by unreal_dude+1 April 2004 - 19:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (unreal_dude @ 1 April 2004 - 19:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-colly

Exactly &#33;&#33; Plus PCI Xpress has got better bwidth than AGP. Hey Nv40 and R420 are also going 2 come out soon. May for nv40 and it will b 3 times faster than the current cards &#33;&#33;

:lol:

Actually come to think of it the industry is really trying to screw us consumers &#33;&#33; Six months upgrade cycles have come down to 3 &#33; LOL :lol: mayb the nxt time u buy a card it will b obsolete by the time u finish payin the bill.

:lol: :lol: [/b][/quote]
Erm excuse me? As Madcat rightly said, AGP 8X isnt fully utilized yet, moving to PCI-Express really isnt going to ba a big jump.

And dont harp on about graphics card performance, because no-one has seen what the new cards can do yet. 2-3 times faster? Unlikely.

ahctlucabbuS
04-02-2004, 10:42 AM
Maybe, but we sure as hell are screwing the industry. :01: