PDA

View Full Version : I'm Sorry...

rookiecrd1
03-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Damn I screwed up. I moved the soulseeker forum to music world, however for some reseason the posts got deleted. I'm not really sure what I did wrong. I think that it was because there was a subfolder in soulseek already called "tips" When moved it moved Tips but not the soulseeker posts.

I want to apoligize for the messages being deleted.

Brian :-(

TRshady
03-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Surely they'll still be here somewhere right? ..........

Anyhow .. ive fogiven ya .. never posted once in that forum so I wont cry over it.
Lets see what the other 80,000 members think. :P

100%
03-29-2004, 08:26 PM
uhoh....this is going to be interesting

good luck

(never went there)

Virtualbody1234
03-29-2004, 08:27 PM
There must be a backup isn't there?

LSA
03-29-2004, 08:28 PM
That's too bad...wierd and sexy soulseek conversations is gone then? :(

TRshady
03-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Good point VB!
I know 7th took a daily back up ... lets all take a back seat and let you restore it Brain. :)

CornerPocket
03-29-2004, 08:29 PM
We're all entitled to a mistake here and there. The board is backed up correct, just pull up a recent back up.....can be done right? :unsure:

Marius24
03-29-2004, 08:30 PM
oh well not a huge loss :P

uNz[i]
03-29-2004, 08:31 PM
hmm... whats this I see approaching?

It looks like an angry mob coming from Music World... and they seem to be wielding flaming torches and pitchforks. :ph34r:

rookiecrd1
03-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Well, if I use the backups then all other posts that were posted since the backup will be deleted including any new memebrs that signed up, etc

I think it would just cause a larger problem.

Cheese
03-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Don't forget to "move" Linuxworld as well.

pol
03-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@29 March 2004 - 20:34
softwareworld's fine as it is :D

DanB
03-29-2004, 08:36 PM
and Talk Club :lol: :lol:

D'oh :P

RealitY
03-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Oh well, were glad to back where we belong...

Thanks.
:D :D

Oh shit tell FC to get to work.
:o :o

I hope someone at least backedup the KLFMusicWorld post that GS did.
:huh: :huh:

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-29-2004, 08:47 PM
;) Use the backup.I am holding back from what I want to say.Because we all make mistakes.But.....

Where is BOT who was hired by 7th for help?Get our Post back.

Mad Cat
03-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Can't you just copy the soulseek posts from the backup into a new soulseek world? Doh!

kAb
03-29-2004, 09:03 PM
You're an admin at how many forums?

edit: btw, thats a pretty big fuck up. You shouldn't be admin if you don't know how the board works.

Mad Cat
03-29-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by kAb@29 March 2004 - 21:03
You're an admin at how many forums?

edit: btw, thats a pretty big fuck up. You shouldn't be admin if you don't know how the board works.
Calm the fuck down! We all make mistakes!

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-29-2004, 09:20 PM
:) Ok.I am done playing.I know things will get fixed later.Sorry. :P

*no more Post for me in this one.*

100%
03-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN@29 March 2004 - 22:20
:) Ok.I am done playing.I know things will get fixed later.Sorry. :P

*no more Post for me in this one.*

He did propose to eliminate some folders.

Good luck... ;)

Peerzy
03-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Everyone just needs to chill out, beign an admin is a hard ob for such a big forum, no one will be able to please everybody. He understands he made a mistake but he's not just gone for a beer and some tv im sure he's trying his hardest to fix it. There are precortions to stop things like this happening and im sure it will all get back to normal soon. Iv made some prity fucking stupid mistakes in my life. Infact i make them all the time. I only found out today that it was soulseek and not soulseeker because i miss typed once and no corrected me so iv been looking like a twat for ages. We all do all kinda's stupid shit that we don't mean to do.

Now if anyone of you can honestly say you have never done something by accient and that yo are perfect, then go ahead and take some shots below the belt, but if not give the man a chance to fix it.

:)

summerlinda
03-29-2004, 09:31 PM
I dont mind the SoulSeek subforum beeing gone, I do mind all posts gone http://members.shaw.ca/wenpigsfly/smileys/weep.gif

shn
03-29-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@29 March 2004 - 15:25
Everyone just needs to chill out, beign an admin is a hard ob for such a big forum, no one will be able to please everybody. He understands he made a mistake but he's not just gone for a beer and some tv im sure he's trying his hardest to fix it. There are precortions to stop things like this happening and im sure it will all get back to normal soon. Iv made some prity fucking stupid mistakes in my life. Infact i make them all the time. I only found out today that it was soulseek and not soulseeker because i miss typed once and no corrected me so iv been looking like a twat for ages. We all do all kinda's stupid shit that we don't mean to do.

Now if anyone of you can honestly say you have never done something by accient and that yo are perfect, then go ahead and take some shots below the belt, but if not give the man a chance to fix it.

bingo

vivitron 15
03-29-2004, 09:36 PM
well im sure that the posts werent that important - but if people grumble couldnt you stick the backup onto a "spare" server, make it read only, then let people copy anything of vital importance out of it?

btw welcome to the board :) dont let it worry ya - just makes life funner :)

TRshady
03-29-2004, 09:50 PM
just makes life funner

agreed, lol .. and its our job to re-write them all :)

Busyman
03-29-2004, 09:56 PM
I admire him for telling us that he made the mistake.

If only politicians were that way.

Better yet, if only people liked politicians that were that way....maybe we'd have honest politicians. ;)

LSA
03-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Withcheese@29 March 2004 - 14:34
What's that supposed to mean? :01:

RealitY
03-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Well at worst we could put the backup on another server and then move it back here I would think...

JONNO_CELEBS
03-29-2004, 10:18 PM
To do that he would hav to shut the board, back it up and copy all the script from the previous backup and place it in this backup (which is a seriously major task) otherwise all info since the last backup will be gone :(

It's a descion that has to be made,

1 = Wipe out everything since the last back up

2 = Forget the deleted stuff and move on

3 = A mirical or something that I don't know!

As he said, it was a mistake :)

We're all human :)

Jonno B)

bulio
03-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Don't worry man, We all mess up here and there :P ,

anyways I don't go into soulseek/musicworld so I am not that affteted, but I may post a guide in there if needed

ilw
03-29-2004, 10:32 PM
With the backup you must surely be able to extract those posts that were in the soulseek forum, it would be a matter of writing a few scripts to extract, modify the tables so that it can be inserted into the new database and then inserting the info.
Even if you can't insert teh posts, maybe jsut extracting them and providing it as a massive text file so that if anyone wants to resurrect a couple of useful posts they can.
Or is there something i'm missing...

Virtualbody1234
03-29-2004, 10:44 PM
You mean to say that before you decided to move the SoulSeek subforum you didn't think to make a backup of the whole board?

If not then you are really beginning to scare me.

Something could have gone even more wrong and you could have corrupted the whole board.

Peerzy
03-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Like someone said a few posts back. Not many admins or mods would have sad they made a mistake, they would have acted as if it was a problem with the board and tryied to cover up. This shows he is going to be truthful now stop jumping down his back b4 i start touching your back, and you won't like it.

rookiecrd1
03-29-2004, 10:48 PM
Virtual, relax, there is a backup. If something went majorly wrong I could always use the nearest backup. 7th is still responsible for the backups. I could probably back up everything since the last backup, maybe 36 hours ago. But I think the loss of all info in the last 36 hours is greater then that of the soulseek forum. I have emailed Marc to see if he has a suggestion or solution.

I'm trying my best here. I goofed. I am sorry

Peerzy
03-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@29 March 2004 - 22:44
You mean to say that before you decided to move the SoulSeek subforum you didn't think to make a backup of the whole board?

If not then you are really beginning to scare me.

Something could have gone even more wrong and you could have corrupted the whole board.
Right thats it Vb im gonna touch your back... i warned you!

Now come here tigarrrrrrrrrrr!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:

ilw
03-29-2004, 11:01 PM
now stop jumping down his back b4 i start touching your back, and you won't like it.

Right thats it Vb im gonna touch your back... i warned you!

Now come here tigarrrrrrrrrrr!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ummm... are you threatening VirtualBody with some sort of buggery? :unsure:

namzuf9
03-29-2004, 11:08 PM
Maybe this helps explain why previous admin were reluctant to make too many major changes to the layout of the board.
Thanks for the honesty rookiecrd.

Buffalo
03-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Don't worry mate,

there was a back up,

And if you made a backup before every move you would get no where, not unless you had some super connection.

Support, yes, from your members.

comment's from team member to admin, Ummm
I would be buffing up my boot :lol:

wienerschnitzel
03-29-2004, 11:29 PM
can't you just get the backup. go into the mysql control center. open the ibf_posts table. sort by forum_id. get everyline from forum 83. shut down board. make 2 backups. insert lines gotten from eariler. revert to the recently changed back up. start up board. if that doesn't work go back to unchanged backup.

ill admit i don't much about mysql. but im hoping that someone can tell me how stupid or smart this idea is.

Spicker
03-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by JONNO_CELEBS@29 March 2004 - 23:18
To do that he would hav to shut the board, back it up and copy all the script from the previous backup and place it in this backup (which is a seriously major task) otherwise all info since the last backup will be gone :(

It's a descion that has to be made,

1 = Wipe out everything since the last back up

2 = Forget the deleted stuff and move on

3 = A mirical or something that I don't know!

As he said, it was a mistake :)

We're all human :)

Jonno B)
3 :D :lol:

RealitY
03-30-2004, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by bulio@29 March 2004 - 14:22
anyways I don't go into soulseek/musicworld so I am not that affteted, but I may post a guide in there if needed
No Thanks...

Oh Yes And Please Stay Away.

h1
03-30-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@29 March 2004 - 18:29
can't you just get the backup. go into the mysql control center. open the ibf_posts table. sort by forum_id. get everyline from forum 83. shut down board. make 2 backups. insert lines gotten from eariler. revert to the recently changed back up. start up board. if that doesn't work go back to unchanged backup.

ill admit i don't much about mysql. but im hoping that someone can tell me how stupid or smart this idea is.
Just what I was about to say. :)

I.am
03-30-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@29 March 2004 - 16:29

that definetly is the way to go. If one is not comfortable directly with mysql then get phpmyadmin to ease the process.

j4y3m
03-30-2004, 07:05 AM
It's no problem Brian I never visit that section, but if you want to try what's suggested above please do so. :P

Adster
03-30-2004, 10:24 AM
look everyone makes mistakes just happened to be myself and the other guys sort of home, but I've had stuff ups before and everyone does

Imagine if you deleted teh lounge :o

BTW the most missed thread will be the funny soul seek conversations :(

7thElement
03-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Well looks like we have a little problem here

I still do backups every day (member backup) and a full backup every week as the database is 850 MB..

So we have two options - which both suck:

1.) The soulseekers have to forgive you and start over
2.) Using an old backup but that would delete all posts made within the last week

The second option is bad cause it's a full 850 MB backup which takes from 6 - 18 hours since such a backup doesn't really work the first time (a lot of things can happen and I am not going to explain that lol)

The second option is also bad cause we have to take the server down while the restore is running which means that nobody can access the site or forum until it's done cause there are simply too many people browsing and it would use too much ram and just die out.

Luckily I never had to do a restore before cause thats a major step and takeslong long time with such a database

Marc

TRshady
03-30-2004, 11:20 AM
(hey 7th! B) ) ....

I'd say we should go for number 1 ....
not to much lost and we've all got over it ... well, most of us have anyway :)

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 7thElement@30 March 2004 - 06:14
The soulseekers have to forgive you and start over
:) Yes we all have.I think most will agree this can be closed now.The only big lost was all the SoulSeek Coversations.No big deal.....we just start them over.Thanks for moving it once again. :)

FC B)

TRshady
03-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Nice one B)
If your happy with it ... then the rest of the music dudes will be so yeah, close this. Rookie's forgiven, soulseek is where it should be and we can all return to normal....

(wait .. normal never exsisted .. ah what the hell)

RGX
03-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Ah well, wisdom only comes from mistakes, and learning from them :)

Nice to see you be so open about it :).

Peerzy
03-30-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY CaPrIcOrN+30 March 2004 - 11:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FuNkY CaPrIcOrN @ 30 March 2004 - 11:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-7thElement@30 March 2004 - 06:14
The soulseekers have to forgive you and start over
:) Yes we all have.I think most will agree this can be closed now.The only big lost was all the SoulSeek Coversations.No big deal.....we just start them over.Thanks for moving it once again. :)

FC B) [/b][/quote]
See everything is fine, i say number 1 as well as -GS-&#39;s thread has been re found and added and it can all be re-done, however before going ahead i think -GS- should have his say in this, because after all he is the mod of that section now :)

So everyone i think its time we all gave Brian a bit of a break, yeah? He&#39;s alread made some major changes in the first 4-5 days he&#39;s been here, just give him some time an some head room and im sure he will do plent more.

h1
03-31-2004, 05:25 AM
:( Oh well, Google cache is providing a few results...