PDA

View Full Version : Canada Allows File Swapping

bcbud
03-31-2004, 11:57 PM
My Webpage (http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/03/31/canada/download_court040331)

Mystikan
04-01-2004, 12:10 AM
YES!!!!

I want to go live in Canada!!!

I will DEFINITELY be pushing this to our pollies here in Australia! :lol:

abu_has_the_power
04-01-2004, 12:20 AM
yea canadians rule!

bulio
04-01-2004, 12:20 AM
well obviously they do, cuz i'm canadian! :P

Monkster
04-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@1 April 2004 - 00:20
yea canadians rule!
damn strait!

btw, I'm Canadian :music1: :01:

NikkiD
04-01-2004, 12:58 AM
Yes, this is wonderful news... different version of the story posted here (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=107174). ;)

I didn't honestly think that with the current Canadian laws it would be allowed. If they get rid of the levies we currently pay on blank recording media, burners, mp3 players and the like, then they may have more leverage. Until then, or until the copyright infringement laws are rewritten, they don't have a chance. And I love it :D

abu_has_the_power
04-01-2004, 01:01 AM
CANADIAN PRIDE BABY! OH YEA! (notice the long thing under my avatar)

silent VI
04-01-2004, 01:25 AM
i luv my country :)

b4icu
04-01-2004, 03:57 AM
a court system thats not in the pocket of big corporations?? what an odd concept!

johnboy27
04-01-2004, 06:12 AM
It's great to be Canadian.
I was just coming to this forum to see if anybody had posted a link to this yet.LOL

Keikan
04-01-2004, 11:08 AM
One more reason NOT to go to HMV :)

Sinner_Dragoon
04-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Damn Canadian I mean yea go Canada you got the good stuff... <_< >_>.

I wish the US would stop being so tight ass about it.

xxxSHARExxx
04-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by johnboy27@1 April 2004 - 06:12
It&#39;s great to be Canadian.

yup :D

yay :D i feel safer on uploading and downloading :01:

Virtualbody1234
04-01-2004, 01:42 PM
:)

j4y3m
04-01-2004, 02:02 PM
I&#39;ve always wanted to be canadian... The best people/things are canadian and I think they have great accents. B)

johnboy27
04-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by j4y3m@1 April 2004 - 15:02
I&#39;ve always wanted to be canadian... The best people/things are canadian and I think they have great accents. B)
I think I speak for most Canadians when I say "Thanks,we appreciate that"

Virtualbody1234
04-01-2004, 07:15 PM
But we don&#39;t have accents. The rest of the world does. :rolleyes:

NikkiD
04-01-2004, 07:25 PM
I keep telling them aboat that VB. :)

abu_has_the_power
04-01-2004, 08:11 PM
where did eh? and abut come from anyway? i&#39;ve lived in canada so long, and i&#39;ve never seen anyone say abut. some ppl say eh, but not abut

rewski54
04-01-2004, 08:40 PM
That&#39;s great news. It&#39;s nice to hear that so far the riaa & cria have not been able to force their idea of what is illegal on our courts. Now hopefully our politicians will have the backbone to stand up to their lobbying. One can only hope.

bootylicious
04-02-2004, 12:34 AM
CANADA KICKS ASS AND IM LUVIN IT&#33;
CANADA = P2P FOREVER&#33;

CANADIAN, I AM PROUD TO BE&#33;

silent VI
04-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@1 April 2004 - 19:15
But we don&#39;t have accents. The rest of the world does. :rolleyes:
i know what are they talkin ebout eh?

supersonic
04-02-2004, 04:21 AM
Canada ROX :D http://ktechsupport.clicdev.com/f/html/emoticons/clapping.gif
http://ktechsupport.clicdev.com/f/html/emoticons/ktechsupport_headbger.gif
proud to be part of the gang

Gutter
04-02-2004, 07:05 PM
"I cannot see a real difference between a library that places a photocopy machine in a room full of copyrighted material and a computer user that places a personal copy on a shared directory linked to a P2P service"

Gotta love that quote from what seems to be a great judge&#33;

james_bond_rulez
04-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Canada kicks ass ;)

and I think we grabbed RIAA by the nuts and yanked it so hard they are speechless now :lol:

Lazarus
04-03-2004, 01:50 AM
Here&#39;s the whole story:

Ingram: File swappers win big

By MATHEW INGRAM
Globe and Mail Update

In his ruling Wednesday on whether the Canadian record industry could force Internet service providers to identify digital music-swappers, Federal Court judge Konrad von Finckenstein didn&#39;t just poke a few holes in the industry&#39;s legal case – he blew it completely out of the water. In fact, if it was a turkey and this was hunting season, it would be nothing but a cloud of feathers.

There were a number of reasons why Judge Finckenstein might have quashed the Canadian Recording Industry Association&#39;s attempt to identify individual music uploaders, including the fact that it is difficult to tie specific IP (Internet Protocol) addresses to individual users, or to ensure that those users were the ones who actually shared the music files at the time in question.

As it turned out, Judge von Finckenstein did both of those things. But then, after the industry&#39;s case was already weak and wobbly at the knees, he delivered the knockout punch: According to the judge, there is no compelling evidence that either downloading or sharing of digital music files is even illegal. In other words, regardless of the other flaws in the industry&#39;s case, the CRIA didn&#39;t have a leg to stand on in the first place.

This decision – which the record industry has said it will appeal – goes substantially farther than a U.S. ruling in a similar case in December. In that case, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) was trying to force Verizon to identify some of its customers who were sharing music files. An appeals court judge ruled that the U.S. legislation only applied to material that ISPs kept on their own servers, not data that merely passed through their telephone or cable lines.

Even that decision left the door open for the industry to pursue file-sharers in other ways – they just have to go through a more time-consuming subpoena process using what are called “John Doe” lawsuits. Judge von Finckenstein&#39;s ruling removed any legal basis for the recording industry to make a claim in the first place, effectively putting the CRIA back at ground zero.

On the topic of downloading, the judge was succinct: Canada&#39;s Copyright Act allows users to reproduce a musical work onto a recording medium for their private use, and thus, “downloading a song... does not amount to infringement.” Judge von Finckenstein referred in his decision to a Copyright Board of Canada ruling in December which came to the same conclusion, based on the copyright levy consumers pay on blank CDs, which in turn is distributed to rights holders.

That part of the judge&#39;s decision wasn&#39;t all that surprising, and it&#39;s why the CRIA has focused not on the downloading of digital music files but on the sharing or “uploading” of them. But Judge von Finckenstein blew that argument apart as well. He said that “no evidence was presented that the alleged infringers either distributed or authorized the reproduction of sound recordings. They merely placed personal copies into their shared directories which were accessible by other computer users via a P2P service.”

Simply setting up a situation that allows copying does not amount to authorizing infringement under the Copyright Act, the judge ruled. In fact, he said, “I cannot see a real difference between a library that places a photocopy machine in a room full of copyrighted material and a computer user that places a personal copy on a shared directory linked to a P2P service.” The mere fact of placing a copy where it can be found by another user, he said, “does not amount to distribution.”

In other words, as far as the Federal Court is concerned, neither the downloading nor the sharing of digital music files is illegal under Canadian law. Should it be? Judge von Finckenstein didn&#39;t deal with that issue, since it&#39;s not the court&#39;s job. If the federal government wants file-swapping to be illegal, it will have to make that clear – because as of Wednesday, one of the country&#39;s senior judges is convinced that it is not. And the recording industry is left to lick its wounds and plan some other form of attack.

johnboy27
04-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Sounds to me like Judge von Finckenstein has a home PC and he has kids and he just knows that his kids are sitting home downloading the newest tracks while he is making his decision . He was probably grooving to a burned copy of Creedance Clearwater Revival on the way home. :teehee:

Shiranai_Baka
04-05-2004, 04:02 AM
OWNED

:lol: :lol: That judge is GODLY

lee551
04-05-2004, 04:49 AM
definately some of the greatest news i&#39;ve heard in a long time during the filesharing war&#33; B)