PDA

View Full Version : Internet Provider Says Stop Uploading!

GIKstar
03-11-2003, 03:22 AM
I received this EMAIL today from my internet provider previously known as ATT Broadband, now COMCAST
SUBJECT: - Policy Violation - Comcast Internet Security and Abuse (JP) [TICKET_ID: xxxxxx] {RPTR}:W:
* * * IMMEDIATE ACTION and REPLY REQUIRED * * *

Please read this entire message, review the required action(s) below, and send a prompt reply message to acknowledge receipt of this email.

Comcast has been made aware that you have violated the Comcast Service Agreement and/or Acceptable Usage Policy. These policies can be found at http://help.broadband.att.com/security. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a permanent termination of your service. The account holder is solely responsible for any and all activities performed from the Comcast service. Please read the following information carefully to ensure that you understand the violation, our policies, and what you need to do to respond to this warning.
BLA... BLA... BLA
Explanation: Comcast has received notification of alleged copyright infringement originating from the Comcast account registered to you.

Action Required: We will require your timely assistance in blocking accessibility to the alleged infringed materials and then notifying us when the materials are no longer publicly available. By federal guidelines stated within the DMCA, this matter needs to be resolved quickly. We will therefore require your immediate investigation into this notification.

**NOTE**
Additionally, please be advised that should Comcast receive further copyright infringement complaints related to your Comcast Internet account, Comcast may terminate the account in accordance with the Comcast Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP).

Related Logs / Evidence:

Title: Erin Brockovich
Infringement Source: FastTrack
Infringement Timestamp: 2/12/2003 2:12:43 AM Pacific (GMT-08:00)
Infringing Filename: Erin Brockovich_vg.avi
Infringing Filesize: 730802176
Infringers IP Address: XX.XXX.XXX.XX (X'D out by GIKstar)

Linkton
03-11-2003, 03:39 AM
O geez...not good. My advice is to, obviously, do what they say to do. You definately don't want them to shut off your internet connection, not to mention the scores of lawyers ready to sue your butt. :blink:

Do you have any idea how they found out?

GIKstar
03-11-2003, 03:48 AM
I don't know... thought one of our "GODS" knows. They did provide me with my IP Address in the email.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
03-11-2003, 04:19 AM
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

kAb
03-11-2003, 04:26 AM
when did comcast buy att?

if you are telling the truth, then i'll be recieving a letter also... i think...

TIDE-HSV
03-11-2003, 04:29 AM
They bought it some months back. :(

kAb
03-11-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@11 March 2003 - 05:29
They bought it some months back. :(
i always thought att was the biggest :unsure:

GIKstar
03-11-2003, 04:48 AM
This is a real bummer... 'cause I have 440 Gigs of hard drive space! And YES, that is a real email (shortened it up quite a bit though and added the BLA BLA BLA...). I was sent a copy to each and every one of my ATTbi email addresses.

TIDE-HSV
03-11-2003, 04:52 AM
Comcast and ATTBI were roughly the same size, but ATT was trying to get out of the BB business. Comcast is the unquestioned "king of the hill" now. I was very interested to see your post. It will be interesting to see how this spreads.

Yusuke
03-11-2003, 07:49 AM
hmm...I'm on AT&T (we haven't changed to comcast here totally yet) and I hope i don't get one of them letters

MagicNakor
03-12-2003, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by Linkton@11 March 2003 - 04:39
Do you have any idea how they found out?
Likely by searching, downloading, and tracing the ip of the sources. ;)

It's not difficult to do, K++ even comes with the tools to do it, really.

The privacy patch helps against their tactic of "find more" + screenshot, as well.

Yet another reason why I stay far, far away from movie sharing. ;)

:ninja:

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-12-2003, 05:03 AM
It's a risk we all take. But they seem to be really hitting hard with movies as it's easier spread so I guess you'll just have to comply... ;)

Switeck
03-12-2003, 07:26 AM
Change to sharing less threating stuff, such as TV shows, for the short term.

And run Peer Guardian or another (much better hopefully...) firewall program to block netblocks which are associated with these traffic cops.

They'll be back -- whether you're doing anything wrong (in their eyes...) or not!

So get something to block their likely ip addresses and maybe you'll even find out who's 'sniffing' you...

And if you find out anything interesting, this forum is a GOOD place to post it! :lol:

We'll do the rest... :ph34r:

SolidWing68
03-12-2003, 04:54 PM
Hey I have comcast but I dont d/l mp3's or nothin I mean, but damn..First they're tech support is garbage, now this? lol

Skillian
03-12-2003, 05:11 PM
I'd say just get rid of Erin Brokovitch and carry on as usual - they've obviously been informed of this so they have to do something, so just do as they ask and carry on. The ISP probably don't care, but are required to ask this of you about it if someone told them.

4play
03-12-2003, 05:11 PM
Change you isp for god sake!!!!

if comcast are gonna cave in then vote with your feet and find another isp that won't give a shit

Icey
03-12-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by 4play@12 March 2003 - 18:11
Change you isp for god sake!!!!

i agree.. and alos install the privacy patch.(may help)

TIDE-HSV
03-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Tech Support??? Comcast got Tech Support?

Sneepboy
03-12-2003, 07:55 PM
I would burn the offending file to disk and remove it from my computer. If Comcast would like to dump me, let them. Its in my wifes name anyway. :P I am constantly receiving adds for DSL in my area. I sure wouldnt leave Comcast on my own but If they threaten to cut me off...oh well. Just what would be the point of broadband anyway?
Have you ever noticed in an add for broadband (cable or DSL), they always want to tell you how much you can download a mp3 or music faster than dial up? In a very recent commercial on tv for broadband, some housewife lookin lady says "I just downloaded a song".
Seems like a double standard to me. I guess since the lady didnt say she just uploaded a song, it's okay.

lunatacs
03-12-2003, 07:58 PM
okey don't upload, download :)

Sneepboy
03-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Yep! I just went to their website & found the part about violations to your agreement. It is ONLY uploading and they say they are not looking but there are groups that do. When they are notified, they are required by the DMCA to notify the user of their violation.

nocnitsa
03-12-2003, 09:16 PM
I got one of these letters today, I called the lady at my ISP who is in charge of this and talked to her for a while. She was very nice. I denied having the files they accused me of having, she said that was all she needed to hear. We talked about firewalls and invasion of privacy for a bit and she was pretty cool. It would be nice if all DMCA people at ISP's were that great, but if they're not, just deny all knowledge of the file and there isn't a whole lot they can do. She flat out told me she has no way of getting into my system to see if I really removed the file or didn't have it, so all they needed was for me to say it.

This was my first letter of this sort, hopefully the last because I've blocked a ton of IP's from these types of companies, as well as got that privacy registry thing from k-lite. My only worry with that is someone will try to see what I have and not find anything, assume I'm leeching and cut me off. I'm thinking of changing my username to "IswearI'msharing!", lol.

TIDE-HSV
03-12-2003, 09:19 PM
Comcast is the largest broadband ISP by far and, in many areas, is the only game in town. In my case, DSL is not available because of the type of wiring between my house and the central telco office. I have a choice, then, of Comcast of Knololgy. Knology is a much smaller ISP with poorer speeds and service than Comcast. Sometimes "change your ISP" is no option.

nocnitsa
03-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@12 March 2003 - 22:19
Comcast is the largest broadband ISP by far and, in many areas, is the only game in town. In my case, DSL is not available because of the type of wiring between my house and the central telco office. I have a choice, then, of Comcast of Knololgy. Knology is a much smaller ISP with poorer speeds and service than Comcast. Sometimes "change your ISP" is no option.
I here that. My ISP is the only cable provider in the area, and we don't have DSL. If want high speed, I have one choice. I'm sure in a few more years, we'll have as many choices for broadband as with dial-up, then things will get interesting. Everyone needs some stiff competition to keep them on their toes.

TIDE-HSV
03-12-2003, 09:36 PM
If I had to, I could change to Knology and get far better speeds and service than dialup. However that's unusual. Several years ago, Comcast tried to buy Knology here, but the city council turned the deal down, thank god. When I saw Knology pulling cable to my utility pole, I went down and welcomed them to the neighborhood.

Yusuke
03-13-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@12 March 2003 - 16:19
Comcast is the largest broadband ISP by far and, in many areas, is the only game in town.  In my case, DSL is not available because of the type of wiring between my house and the central telco office.  I have a choice, then, of Comcast of Knololgy.  Knology is a much smaller ISP with poorer speeds and service than Comcast.  Sometimes "change your ISP" is no option.
Same thing here, Comcast (actually it's still at&t for the time being) is all we have for cable modem provider (and cable television) and we can't get DSL cause of the lines (or something like that) so it's either dialup or Comcast cable modem and I couldn't survive going back to dialup, so i'll stick with Comcast(specially since i never got a letter from them yet)...

kAb
03-13-2003, 04:27 AM
dsl is actually BANNED in our town for some reason.. i think it has something to with wanting to prevent a monopoly :rolleyes:

god my town is so stupid :lol:

TIDE-HSV
03-13-2003, 04:28 AM
I wish we knew exactly what the path was - what attracts attention, why one subscriber gets a letter and thousands don't.

Torpid_X
03-13-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@13 March 2003 - 05:28
I wish we knew exactly what the path was - what attracts attention, why one subscriber gets a letter and thousands don't.
It was probably a random file being d/l by RIAA or something. Just bad luck that day. I'm sure I've been cought doing some type of warez activity. Having not signed up for a Comcast Email address until a couple weeks ago, I wouldn't know.

And my Comcast has DSL competition! :lol:

Torp

DB133
03-13-2003, 02:59 PM
I think most points have been covered in the postings but wanted to add one more. Unfortunally, I received my second Email from attbi ( Comcast ) for uploading a movie. The first was 6 months ago. At that time the ticket number was ~ 75,000 and now it is ~175,000. That means they have sent 100,000 Emails in the last 6 months ! My question is why is so little being said about this ?

Obviously, I won't be uploading any movies. -_-

Icey
03-13-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by DB133@13 March 2003 - 15:59
I think most points have been covered in the postings but wanted to add one more. Unfortunally, I received my second Email from attbi ( Comcast ) for uploading a movie. The first was 6 months ago. At that time the ticket number was ~ 75,000 and now it is ~175,000. That means they have sent 100,000 Emails in the last 6 months ! My question is why is so little being said about this ?

Obviously, I won't be uploading any movies. -_-
i can't see 175,000 ppl being prosicuted.. they just wanna scare u

Wizzandabe
03-13-2003, 05:37 PM
bt havent stoped me. 'YET'. ntl have got a like ban on there service. only 1gb per day download. i wouldnt be able to live lol.

Icey
03-13-2003, 06:01 PM
i have got NTL .. at the moment they are doing nothing to ppl going over the limit.. not sure if they will in the future? ;)

imported_The__One
03-13-2003, 06:04 PM
It's not just movies, I got a letter from some corporation (it came directly from washington D.C, and I live in Brazil) that said I was uploading an AutoDesk product (3D Studio MAX), wich I was...all I had to do was remove the software from my computer and I was never botherd again... I got the letter directly from washington 'cause I was downloading/uploading stuff at my dad's office...and sice he is a government emplyee, I was literally at the ISP :lol: with a hell of a fast connention (not sure how mutch, but I got max of 3.4MBps)

Icey
03-13-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by The__One@13 March 2003 - 19:04
It's not just movies, I got a letter from some corporation (it came directly from washington D.C, and I live in Brazil) that said I was uploading an AutoDesk product (3D Studio MAX), wich I was...all I had to do was remove the software from my computer and I was never botherd again... I got the letter directly from washington 'cause I was downloading/uploading stuff at my dad's office...and sice he is a government emplyee, I was literally at the ISP :lol: with a hell of a fast connention (not sure how mutch, but I got max of 3.4MBps)
lol :P , using a goverenment connection for p2p.. i like it :P

i8gtmf
03-13-2003, 06:51 PM
I use bt broadband an have received an e-mail from their acceptable use dept moaning about about me allowing uploads of copyrighted movies they had times ip addresses and file sizes including one file i'm pretty sure only i was sharing my guess is one of the scum buckets are were using kazaa just to trap people once connected they check your shares for anything they don't approved of and they report you to you isp .....tossers :angry: .Needless to say install the privacy patch and don't be to quick to brand someone a leech just cos they don't seem to be sharing

TIDE-HSV
03-13-2003, 06:56 PM
I had taken it off, because there's no doubt that some people will cut you off just because they can't see into your shared folder (particularly if you have the 1000 rating).

i8gtmf
03-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Thats true people do so, i don't use the 1000pl option i use kazaahack so i can freeze my pl at around 600 so it don't happen quite as much.

Icey
03-13-2003, 07:28 PM
as metioned earlier. i think it was this thred.. not many ppl bother looking at the ratings any more.. have of kazaa are supreme beings :o

leecheskicked
03-15-2003, 05:22 PM
Friend of mine had one of these letters posted to heim from his ISP, BT Broadband, a UK company. but it wasn't for a film it was for GTA3

Icey
03-15-2003, 06:58 PM
will ur isp still no wat ur downloading even with the privacy patch?

Genius
03-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by leecheskicked@15 March 2003 - 18:22
Friend of mine had one of these letters posted to heim from his ISP, BT Broadband, a UK company. but it wasn't for a film it was for GTA3
Oh Shit
How long ago was this? :huh:

Icey
03-15-2003, 10:04 PM
damm, UK companies are doin it now :( .. glad i installed the privacy patch.. hope it will help

Jibbler
03-16-2003, 12:52 AM
Tell your internet provider to "kiss your ass." You pay for bandwidth, and they cannot tell you how to use it. They can wave their acceptable usage policy back and forth, but in the end, they imply unlimited bandwidth, and they have to provide it.

However, it seems large companies and corporations play by their own rules, with their own lawyers. The pressure is then put on the consumer to hold them to their word.--

Jibbler

Whoolley
03-16-2003, 01:20 AM
I got something like this letter from Shaw in Canada. They didn't say anything about just 'what' files, just something about excessive bandwidth. Then they followed up with a phone call and during that said it was the upload bandwidth that was the problem, not the download.

leecheskicked
03-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Re BT Broadband and GTA3, it was just before christmas

Genius
03-16-2003, 09:36 AM
Strange I got BT broadband at Xmas and have been downloading ever since and haven't heard a thing :D
Maybe they've stop giving a damn :lol:

leecheskicked
03-16-2003, 09:42 AM
sory about double post but just remembered, funny thing about that letter was it specified GTA3, he had loads of other games as well as films, including 2 towers and the new harry potter, they weren't even mentioned, I live 2 doors away an had the same files, but i'm on Telewest broadband and the only letters i get from them are red ones :D

Drunkin'Monk
03-17-2003, 05:32 AM
stop uploading?!?! some of us here pay for our internet so we should be able to upload

FreakGrrl
03-24-2003, 10:14 PM
I've been reading here for a few hours to see what people do when their ISP sends them a letter about files they're sharing. Lots of people think that because the person is new that they're 'scare mongering' and others are sick of the topic altogether. Well... some of you know me, even though I'm new here, and I just received one of those letters today from Comcast. I have had AT&T Broadband Internet for at least the last 3 years, paying through the nose every month without complaint, and now that Comcast has taken them over, I get one of these letters - the very same one that is posted to this topic. My ticket number is 187221 - I feel bad for 187222 :)

What I did was reply to the email, tell them that I do not have the file they mentioned on my computer, and left it at that. I've never even remotely thought about switching to DSL, but one more of these letters and I'll gladly walk my cable modem over to their office and throw it through their window. I actually thought that service was going to improve with Comcast. It's kinda sad to know that they're just another gear in the wheel, ya know?

Lucky for me, I have 4 email addresses with them, so I can claim stupidity. And just so you all know, it was "The Life of David Gale" that they were up in arms about. I'm going to install a few things and hopefully get them off my back for a while, cuz this could get really annoying if everytime I open my email box I see this kinda bullsh*t.

And no, switching to another broadband provider in my neck of the woods isn't an option, there is no other provider.

south-paw
03-25-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Genius@16 March 2003 - 10:36
Strange I got BT broadband at Xmas and have been downloading ever since and haven't heard a thing :D
Maybe they've stop giving a damn :lol:
I got my BT BB, 2 months before Xmas, and I aint heard a thing either. Maybe cos I'm the only one on an innercity street with adsl!that they're just glad for the custom! :D Like others have stated, you pay through the nose for the service, and with the UK lagging far behind the US in take-up of broadband, I can't really see BT getting heavy with the meagre, existing customer base. :D

Switeck
03-25-2003, 03:41 AM
The PRIVACY PATCH for Kazaa Lite++ v2.1 which makes it so people can't get a list of all the files you're sharing WON'T HELP if they're running blanket searches for files.

You NEED to get Peer Guardian or a good software firewall and BLOCK the internet cops' connections.

There's many lists out for what ips the internet cops are on -- these guys are the WORST kind of leeches... they also inject fake/corrupted files into fasttrack and other file sharing networks.

turtle
03-25-2003, 05:27 PM
i got a phone call from shaw cable here in canada too. they were "concerned" about the excessive band use as well - wanting to know if i was aware of the increase and told me to limit my uploads to 1 and limit bandwidth to the lowest setting. also wanted me to limit my downloads. i agreed to their requests and they said then they considered the subject satisfactorily concluded. lol when i was just downloading a ton of songs i never heard a word from them - just since i started downloading movies and tv episodes.

ProwL418
03-28-2003, 08:48 AM
i find myself more and more tempted to tap into my isp's cable(s) and set up little servers all over my city...
surely they are not sniffing every packet that comes off my network traffic, they must be monitoring one port only, and or searching for key words.
wouldnt it take too much effort and money to watch all the traffic coming off of users? and or limited to users who upload alot...
i say, change your ports off of 1214, preferably to a higher number.
and use peer guardian, and a firewall.
not to mention, the anti shared folder list.
if everyone was doing this, i think we could give them a run for thier money.
an isp monitroing the traffic of multiple ports on many computers, looking for erin brokovitch, avi's, divx, so forth is a heavy job...right?
if all else, what about encryption.

Wolfmight
03-29-2003, 01:44 AM
hmm..wonder how they got that copy?

First off, when u searched for that movie.. did u see alot of users with it?

If so, then they ALSO downloaded it ILLEGALLY, because someone else ripped it more than likely.

They commited an illegal act first of.

Also, there is a law bill clinton signed called the Internet Privacy Act. They are invadeing your privacy, because they had to find out you had the file...your name...your ip...everything. Illegal on they're side.

hmm, they also only made it LEGAL for the recording industry to hack your comp i think.. they&#39;re the isp... heh bullshit they did&#39;nt get the recording industry to get the info cause then they shouldda sent u the email... big mistake on they&#39;re side if they did. <_<

Wolfmight
03-29-2003, 01:47 AM
btw bill gates has probably been nervous and hell ever since piracy started.. he must have a lawyer boot camp :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wizzandabe
03-30-2003, 02:45 PM
lol this post is still going. Someone tell him to change isp.

HimuraKenshin
03-30-2003, 05:59 PM
I have Karoo one, of the only ISPs in the UK who offer ADSL, I doubt they really care about what I download........ They dont have many members as they only supply to 1 city. Plus if they sent me emails i wouldnt notice cause i aint set up my pop3 account with them yet and am still using my hotmail :lol:

crashnburn
03-31-2003, 06:44 AM
ive always had a firewall.

ive used kazaa lite for a long time.

recently upgraded to k++.

have the privacy patch on.

@people who posted here about blocking IPs and firewalls and using other tools... it was all a little vague (some specifics please)

Can you post some details or a URL. (Im new to the forum and have searched through it for all threads having ANY post with the keyword:firewall)
A place that defines all this clearly ?

- What kind of traffic should I be blocking ?
- What IPs should I be blocking?
- What other apps should/can I use ?

Note:
I have downloaded but not yet installed or used the following:
1. Peer Buddy (dont remember is this the right name?)
2. the 2 IP lists by whatshisname (dont remember)

Anything else ? also.. can we not create a PROPER guide or How-To for this ?
Ive done that on several tech forums form (tech, nt, *nx, cellphones etc.)

PS: I havent really been bothered about p2p cops till now. So just want to play it safe... the RIGHT WAY&#33;.