PDA

View Full Version : How Is Anonx

BoomBox
04-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Long time reader, first time poster.

I was thinking about getting AnonX, I remember seeing a while back a few users trying it out. I was wondering if anyone is using it now, how is it performing? Is there much of a decrease in p2p/IRC performance?

I've used a few public anon proxy's before and all reduced my p2pin' to crap and loads of IRC bots wouldn't let me connect.

Thanks for any responses.

tracydani
04-02-2004, 09:41 PM
I have a slight decrease in speeds depending on where I am. But come on, lets face it. If security is a priority, speed won't be. And if speed is a priority then good luck :lol:

So far, not many problems on irc. If you can't use one person, try another.

I say give it a try. If you don't like it then cancel and your only out a few bucks. Or you could email their tech support and see if they are still giving out 10 day trials.

TD

Stagewrite
04-04-2004, 09:22 PM
The service is very excellent so far, after 3 months (speed, reliability, quick to login). Much faster than anonymizer and of course much more capable. I don't know enough about networking tho to know what kind of security implications there might be opening things up to a vpn like this.

RealitY
04-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Works fine and it looks like they intend on growing the system to even make it better...

rf9rider
04-06-2004, 04:59 AM
Go take a look on their forum, see what people are saying......

powerstick
04-06-2004, 01:35 PM
works great. sometimes the connection drops but if you set it to auto reconnect (recomended) you shouldn't have a problem unless you are running Overnet, Emule, Edonkey, ODC, DC++. Kazaa and Shearaza work great with it but I run Overnet so it doesn't help me out that much bc it shows firewalled
just read the forum @ anonx.com and decide from there

BoomBox
04-09-2004, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the responses. I've signed up. Though a few things not going right, my eMule doesn't DL at all, it just sits looking and queueing forever, occassionally popping up to 1kb/s. My Shareaza sits on "Pending" forever not doing anything, and I've rediscovered that kazaa is crap. I'm using KMD-Clean and when I search anything I get muchmuch less hits than I used to and not many users ?? (nothing to do with anonx though).
Overnet, though shows Firewalled is now my main guy, getting up to 35kb/s which ain't bad for a 512k connection so I'm pretty much using it for everything now as the rest just won't work for me. Oh, and some IRC, some bots don't work but not bad.
And yea, seems they are continuing to upgrade the network so lookin' good I hope.
Cheers.

RealitY
04-09-2004, 04:30 AM
Many of these issues are due to having the appearance of being behind a NAT without having reachable ports, these apps see the ports required as being closed while you are on the service, hopefully there is a sloution near soon as AnonX is working towards this as well as faster servers and some type of mulitple IP masking as well, a service that only looks as it is going to get better...

masterpiece21
04-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Dude,nomatter,u should never pay for a file-sharing service :frusty: why when u could get a better program FREE? :huh: nuff said B)

BoomBox
04-14-2004, 12:47 AM
I don't get what you're saying:

a)because it's not a file-sharing service

b)its not a program.

rf9rider
04-14-2004, 05:14 AM
Dude,nomatter,u should never pay for a file-sharing service  why when u could get a better program FREE?  nuff said 

Can you tell us all a better alternative than Anonx?

I dont mind paying for this. "nuff said"