PDA

View Full Version : My Comp Is Getting Slower And Slower

Dray_04
04-05-2004, 11:18 AM
hey guys,

long time no post.

well im starting to get a real slow computer...maybe its because i only have 1gb left on my useless 60gb harddrive.... or maybe its because i have a virus or sumthing...

anyway i have just ordered a Seagate 80GB 8mb cache SATA harddrive...

this is my very first SATA harddrive, and i havent had any experience in that area...

once i install it do i have to format it?

should i reinstall windows Xp on this harddrive and put everything on this and make my 60GB hDD just for movies and mp3s?

guys give me sum help as to what i shud do when the HDD arrives in a few days

aoyv73
04-05-2004, 11:32 AM
TRy a good clean up and de frag then see how things go will help but like you say run out of space i have a spare 60 hd drives are cheap stuff a xtra one in.

Dray_04
04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
yer i defragged just a few weeks ago. it didnt really make a difference..

..i usually defrag once a month...

..also ppl with the gigabyte ga7n400 pro2..... is ther a way i can turn off that annoying shit when ya boot the computer.... u no, the stuff that sez " do you wish to blah blah blah SATA, RAI etc.... press ctrl+s ....

do you know what im talking about...

because that takes about 30seconds to load

100%
04-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Scan for spyware-viruses
clean your temp files prefetch, internet history - use some cleaner tool
run a registry healer-cleaner
disable some services - http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
defrag

bigdawgfoxx
04-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Do what is listed above.

I would formatt Both HDDs once you get your new one.

Install windows on the SATA one, which I believe you have to have a floppy for to make it work.

Once you install lots and lots of programs and load up the resources after a while computers will slow down a bit. A good reformat and new install of the O/S is great to fix this.

delphin460
04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
shi ey , get the o/s on ya sata man , use that 60 gig peice of crap for storage

no other way to fly

suggestion , start withjust the sata in your comp and install the o/s, like it was a new one

then refit the old h/d and move any files off it to the sata you wanna keep, the format the old one and put the movie ect on it

LTJBukem
04-05-2004, 01:17 PM
1) Create some space on your drive, 1 GB of free space is not enough.

2) Defragment your hard drive, once a month is not enough.

3) Read up on basic computer maintenance. (http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=basic+computer+maintenance&btnG=Search)

The problems you are experiencing are a direct result of a badly fragmented drive.

Good luck with that sata drive.

Dray_04
04-05-2004, 01:34 PM
yer cheerz for that, exactly what i wanted to know...

once i get the SATA ill install XP on it....

im assuming that it will become the master HDD automatically? or will i have to move sum pins around or sumthing?

once i install the newly amped XP on the sata will i have to download all the updates.??? shit thats alot... or will it recognise that i have already updated on the old harddrive...

what happens when i put put HDD on? will it no that i want the SATA one as the master?

kaiweiler
04-05-2004, 01:44 PM
There is a jumper on the back of your drive that you can change from master, slave, and cable select, it is usually clearly lableled on newer drives so that shouldnt be a problem.
but also not sure if this comes with it when you buy a sata drive but you may need to get an adapter for your power supply to hook a molex into a sata connector...it may come with your drive but if not they are fairly cheap anyway, just somethin i thought of that ou may not have taken into consideration...

Dray_04
04-05-2004, 01:52 PM
yer i have the SATA cables...that came with the motherboard....

i think i have everything sorted...

i cant wait ay.... will games load up faster on the new HDD... like i sed b4, ill store all my movies and mp3s on the shitty HDD, and games, programs etc... on the new HDD...

..does that sound right? any other suggestions that i should take into consideration?

kaiweiler
04-05-2004, 02:06 PM
You should have two sets of cables though to run your SATA drive though, you need the cable to go from your drive to your mobo (probably the one that came with your mobo) and then another one to go from the drive to the psu, do you have that one too?
it looks something like this
http://www.ahead-computers.com/images/4699.jpg
some slight variations may occur though, but that's what you need if you dont already have it

Chewie
04-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx@5 April 2004 - 12:55
Once you install lots and lots of programs and load up the resources after a while computers will slow down a bit. A good reformat and new install of the O/S is great to fix this.
OMG, you recommend backing up files, formatting, then reinstalling the OS, all apps & games and tweaking it all over again purely because it's running slow?
What's wrong with just uninstalling the shit that's making it slow?

tesco
04-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+5 April 2004 - 18:46--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 5 April 2004 - 18:46)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@5 April 2004 - 12:55
Once you install lots and lots of programs and load up the resources after a while computers will slow down a bit.&nbsp; A good reformat and new install of the O/S is great to fix this.
OMG, you recommend backing up files, formatting, then reinstalling the OS, all apps & games and tweaking it all over again purely because it&#39;s running slow?
What&#39;s wrong with just uninstalling the shit that&#39;s making it slow? [/b][/quote]
whats with you and getting mad at people for wanting to reinstall their operating system&#092;telling others to reinstall their operating system? its just easier to do then trying to figure out what teh cause of every single problem is.

although that may not be the best suggestion for this situation, i have noticed you posting the same type of replys in a lot of other threads.

Dray_04
04-06-2004, 01:29 AM
@ kai, cheerz for that ill keep that in mind... shouldnt that psu cable come with the HDD?

also no1s answered my question about reinstalling the OS.. will i have to go to windows update and install everything again?? thats a heck of alot of time and im sure its over 200megs....(i think)

tesco
04-06-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by dray_02@5 April 2004 - 20:29
@ kai, cheerz for that ill keep that in mind... shouldnt that psu cable come with the HDD?

also no1s answered my question about reinstalling the OS.. will i have to go to windows update and install everything again?? thats a heck of alot of time and im sure its over 200megs....(i think)
yes u will need to install all updates again, but with ur broadband it should take to long right?

heres average size...

first download SP1a, around 30mb. then other updates and windows update will equal around 30mb, 50 if u include that .net framework thing...

so in total its only aroun 60mb to 80mb at most, shouldnt take more than an hour at 128k (my internet) and yours is 256kb soo....

Dray_04
04-06-2004, 01:50 AM
ok :(

damn, i really didnt want to download the updates again, but oh well.. i guess it&#39;l be worth it in the end...

i connect @ 5.6 Mb..... but i download stuff @ 35kb constant...

does that sound right... tha package i organised with my ISP was suppose to be a connetion of 256kbs.... weird huh? well i aint complaining

tesco
04-06-2004, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by dray_02@5 April 2004 - 20:50
ok :(

damn, i really didnt want to download the updates again, but oh well.. i guess it&#39;l be worth it in the end...

i connect @ 5.6 Mb..... but i download stuff @ 35kb constant...

does that sound right... tha package i organised with my ISP was suppose to be a connetion of 256kbs.... weird huh? well i aint complaining
a connection of 256kb would probably average around 35kb/s so that is right, but that 5.6mb sounds kinda wierd...im thinking that might be just the speed of the connection between your computer and modem. mine used to say 100mbps when i connected my modem to my network card but that was just connection between the card and modem, not my real download speed.

Dray_04
04-06-2004, 02:06 AM
oh ok makes sense....

...rossco u so brainy B)

tesco
04-06-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by dray_02@5 April 2004 - 21:06
...rossco u so brainy B)
:blink: is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Dray_04
04-06-2004, 03:10 AM
a good thing man :D

peat moss
04-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Must be a way for us that format a lot to put the security patches on disk. I have my xp disk slipstreamed with sp1 . But would be nice to have all the newer ones. Just wondering :rolleyes:

clocker
04-06-2004, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by peat moss@5 April 2004 - 20:15
Must be a way for us that format a lot to put the security patches on disk. I have my xp&nbsp; disk slipstreamed with sp1 . But would be nice to have all the newer ones. Just wondering :rolleyes:
Go to Windows Update and write down the numbers of the patches that apply to you.
Then go to Windows Update Catalogue and download the updates and save to a disc.
Be careful if you do this as many of the updates need to be installed separately (Direct X and WMP, for example).

I usually do this and save the patches to my D drive and then install from there.
When I reinstall XP I already have most of the updates at hand.

Dray_04
04-06-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by clocker+6 April 2004 - 16:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 6 April 2004 - 16:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-peat moss@5 April 2004 - 20:15
Must be a way for us that format a lot to put the security patches on disk. I have my xp disk slipstreamed with sp1 . But would be nice to have all the newer ones. Just wondering :rolleyes:
Go to Windows Update and write down the numbers of the patches that apply to you.
Then go to Windows Update Catalogue and download the updates and save to a disc.
Be careful if you do this as many of the updates need to be installed separately (Direct X and WMP, for example).

I usually do this and save the patches to my D drive and then install from there.
When I reinstall XP I already have most of the updates at hand. [/b][/quote]
this is exactly what i wanted to hear...

so there is a way i can save these updates to disk..

ill probably do it now.. cheerz big ears

atiVidia
04-06-2004, 05:21 AM
i didnt waste my time reading thru the posts.

dray, uve got 512 megs of ram rite? get a tweaking utility (its far easier thaen hacking the registry urself) and search for an option that les u force the entire windows core onto the ram. it cut down my boot times by 2/3

Dray_04
04-06-2004, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by atiVidia@6 April 2004 - 17:21

dray, uve got 512 megs of ram rite? get a tweaking utility (its far easier thaen hacking the registry urself) and search for an option that les u force the entire windows core onto the ram. it cut down my boot times by 2/3
ne idea at what kinda name this utility would be called?

Chewie
04-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+6 April 2004 - 00:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 @ 6 April 2004 - 00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chewie UK@5 April 2004 - 18:46
<!--QuoteBegin-bigdawgfoxx@5 April 2004 - 12:55
OMG, you recommend backing up files, formatting, then reinstalling the OS, all apps & games and tweaking it all over again purely because it&#39;s running slow?
What&#39;s wrong with just uninstalling the shit that&#39;s making it slow?
whats with you and getting mad at people for wanting to reinstall their operating system&#092;telling others to reinstall their operating system? its just easier to do then trying to figure out what teh cause of every single problem is.

although that may not be the best suggestion for this situation, i have noticed you posting the same type of replys in a lot of other threads. [/b][/quote]
Blimey, do I sound pissed off at you? I&#39;m not pissed off, I&#39;m just stunned.

The reason I rarely recommend reinstalling an OS is because it&#39;s so fucking unnecessary.
It&#39;s like a guy asking his mate at the pub why his car has a misfire and being told to get another engine. Sure, it&#39;ll cure the problem, but just changing the spark plugs could&#39;ve done that.
The Hardwareworld and Softwareworld forums are about helping people with problems, so why recommend reinstalling because it&#39;s easier than figuring out each problem? C&#39;mon, we all know you&#39;re not a klutz, Rossco.
Re-installing WinXP may be easy but it ain&#39;t exactly quick; the SP1a download is about 125MB, not 30MB, and then you can add to that the SP2 updates, non-critical updates & drivers. You&#39;ve got to install all games and applications, configure your firewall, email & other apps, disable services, not to mention change your desktop & folder settings to the way you like them.
It&#39;s using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

If it seems like I post my &#39;Reinstall OS? You&#39;re joking&#39; comment too much it&#39;s because that&#39;s so often being recommended where it&#39;s not necessary.

clocker
04-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 April 2004 - 00:48

Re-installing WinXP may be easy but it ain&#39;t exactly quick; the SP1a download is about 125MB, not 30MB, and then you can add to that the SP2 updates, non-critical updates & drivers. You&#39;ve got to install all games and applications, configure your firewall, email & other apps, disable services, not to mention change your desktop & folder settings to the way you like them.

True.

My solution is to make a Ghost image of the freshly installed, updated, tweaked, loaded and configured OS.
Should something terrible happen ( hasn&#39;t yet, thank goodness) it is a 5 minute procedure to transfer the image back into C drive.

Dray_04
04-06-2004, 12:43 PM
so now i shouldnt reinstall the OS?

sounds like chewy knows what hes talking about...

i knew the updates would be bigger than 100Mb

My solution is to make a Ghost image of the freshly installed, updated, tweaked, loaded and configured OS.
Should something terrible happen ( hasn&#39;t yet, thank goodness) it is a 5 minute procedure to transfer the image back into C drive.

u saying i can install everything onto my newly installed HDD (with the newly installed OS) by using a ghost image thing?

would this be faster??

man im confused what should i do.... i dont really want to download all the updates, however i think installing the games on the new HDD sounds like a good idea....

tesco
04-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+6 April 2004 - 03:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 6 April 2004 - 03:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 April 2004 - 00:49

although that may not be the best suggestion for this situation, i have noticed you posting the same type of replys in a lot of other threads.
Blimey, do I sound pissed off at you? I&#39;m not pissed off, I&#39;m just stunned.

The reason I rarely recommend reinstalling an OS is because it&#39;s so fucking unnecessary.
It&#39;s like a guy asking his mate at the pub why his car has a misfire and being told to get another engine. Sure, it&#39;ll cure the problem, but just changing the spark plugs could&#39;ve done that.
The Hardwareworld and Softwareworld forums are about helping people with problems, so why recommend reinstalling because it&#39;s easier than figuring out each problem? C&#39;mon, we all know you&#39;re not a klutz, Rossco.

If it seems like I post my &#39;Reinstall OS? You&#39;re joking&#39; comment too much it&#39;s because that&#39;s so often being recommended where it&#39;s not necessary. [/b][/quote]
Alright i see your point...

oh and at teh comment about sp1a being 125mb, the full download (called net install i think) is 125mb, if you just use express setup its around 30mb so i recomended that to dray because he didnt want to download much.

RGX
04-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+6 April 2004 - 08:48--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 6 April 2004 - 08:48)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 April 2004 - 00:49

Once you install lots and lots of programs and load up the resources after a while computers will slow down a bit.&nbsp; A good reformat and new install of the O/S is great to fix this.

If it seems like I post my &#39;Reinstall OS? You&#39;re joking&#39; comment too much it&#39;s because that&#39;s so often being recommended where it&#39;s not necessary. [/b][/quote]
Your saying what ive been thinking, I recently had to format (cataclysmic system faliure) and it was a pain in the ass, why anyone would do it volunteraly when a simple tweak or utility could do the same thing is beyond me.

LTJBukem
04-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by dray_02+6 April 2004 - 06:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dray_02 &#064; 6 April 2004 - 06:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@6 April 2004 - 17:21

ne idea at what kinda name this utility would be called?[/b][/quote]
As i&#39;ve already said, the problem is that you have 0.6% of free space on your hard drive, and haven&#39;t defragged for weeks.

Chewie
04-09-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004+6 April 2004 - 13:04--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ROSSCO_2004 &#064; 6 April 2004 - 13:04)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 April 2004 - 03:48

If it seems like I post my &#39;Reinstall OS? You&#39;re joking&#39; comment too much it&#39;s because that&#39;s so often being recommended where it&#39;s not necessary.
Alright i see your point...[/b]Sorry if I&#39;m resurrecting a dead thread but I just re-read my post and it does sound like I&#39;m pissed at you, which I&#39;m not. :)
<!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@6 April 2004 - 13:04

oh and at teh comment about sp1a being 125mb, the full download (called net install i think) is 125mb, if you just use express setup its around 30mb so i recomended that to dray because he didnt want to download much.[/quote]I haven&#39;t bothered with anything other than the full download - saved to a CD during a period when I was having a corruption problem. I&#39;d like to do that with IE6 but I&#39;ve never managed to get everything and the setup&#39;s always had to download some shit or other. :(
See, I told you that you aren&#39;t a klutz. :D

tesco
04-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Chewie UK+8 April 2004 - 19:06--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 8 April 2004 - 19:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@6 April 2004 - 13:04

Originally posted by Chewie UK@6 April 2004 - 03:48

Alright i see your point...Sorry if I&#39;m resurrecting a dead thread but I just re-read my post and it does sound like I&#39;m pissed at you, which I&#39;m not. :)
<!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@6 April 2004 - 13:04

oh and at teh comment about sp1a being 125mb, the full download (called net install i think) is 125mb, if you just use express setup its around 30mb so i recomended that to dray because he didnt want to download much.I haven&#39;t bothered with anything other than the full download - saved to a CD during a period when I was having a corruption problem. I&#39;d like to do that with IE6 but I&#39;ve never managed to get everything and the setup&#39;s always had to download some shit or other. :(
See, I told you that you aren&#39;t a klutz. :D [/b][/quote]
ya i also did that, downloading it and saving it, but dray said he doesnt like the downloading and if he just does the express setup he&#39;ll not have to download as much.

he should have ordered that free security update cds, i got one :) just came yesterday, took over a month :rolleyes: