PDA

View Full Version : First Xbox 2, Ps3 Game Revealed

fatality
04-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Digital Extremes, the Canadian developer that's worked hand-in-hand with the Epic Games to create versions of Unreal and Unreal Championship on various systems, announced today the development of a new and original game designed specifically for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 2. It's called Dark Sector.
The trailer, we're told, is not CG, nor is it pre-rendered in any way. According to Digital Extremes, the footage shown here is entirely in-game engine. The new engine is built using potential specs from both future consoles, which are unofficially due sometime in late 2005 or early 2006.
Very little has been revealed about Dark Sector, which is deliberate on Digital Extremes' part. This trailer is meant as a tech demo entirely designed to impress tech heads, gamers, and potential publishers. We do know it's a first-person shooter based in a futuristic, sci-fi setting, and there are guns, lots and lots of guns.

view trailer on game-website. (http://www.darksector.com)

source (http://www.ircspy.com)

if the consoles arent released then how can the create the game on the engine and show in-game footage in the trailers ?

n18
04-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Dude read what you quoted
The new engine is built using potential specs from both future consoles, which are unofficially due sometime in late 2005 or early 2006.

They didnt use the engine that will be in those consoles.

But i don't belive gfx will be that good, seems impossible :o Imagine the size of the game with such beauty. It would prolly use double layer double sided dvds :o

Mad Cat
04-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Isn't this the same one being made for the PC?

How come a lot of games don't even go anywhere near a console till testing stage?

Because you don't use a bloody PS2 to make PS2 games. MACs and PCs are used :P

fatality
04-05-2004, 06:28 PM
look athe the trailer...

<span style=&#39;font-size:14pt;line-height:100%&#39;>FUCK</span>

the lightings , the textures , etc etc etc are simple amazing..

ut 2004 - 2 yrs to develop - 6 cd&#39;s - mediaocre -- good graphics
doom3 - in the 4th year - will be about 6 to 8 cd&#39;s (aprox) -- graphics just about as good as this game (dark sector)
dark sector - 6 years to dev(could be) - 8 to 15 cd&#39;s or 3 dvd&#39;s or one expensive dvd (ha ha ha ha) -- amazing graphics

bottom line -- wat the fuc is goin on ??

ok. fine not that engine but how could that be in game footage ??
they must be wrking on this game from like 1995 or somthin.
mabye it is ...
i dont know man..

j4y3m
04-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Sony are using 50GB dual layer blu ray discs on the ps3.

Mad Cat
04-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by j4y3m@5 April 2004 - 20:08
Bluray doesn&#39;t go to 50gb yet, its 30gb.

And about the guy who said they&#39;ve been dev since 1995, I think its 3 years (or I might be mixed up with Pariah).

It did use the Unreal engine, but they&#39;ve switched to their own in house engine.

j4y3m
04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat+5 April 2004 - 20:42--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mad Cat @ 5 April 2004 - 20:42)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j4y3m@5 April 2004 - 20:08
Bluray doesn&#39;t go to 50gb yet, its 30gb.

And about the guy who said they&#39;ve been dev since 1995, I think its 3 years (or I might be mixed up with Pariah).

It did use the Unreal engine, but they&#39;ve switched to their own in house engine. [/b][/quote]

Currently, BD-ROMs can hold up to 25GB of data--about five times the volume of a standard DVD disc--and double-layered 50GB BD-ROMs will be appearing within the year. http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/31/news_6092605.html

Mad Cat
04-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Ok, so I made a mistake, but to redeem myself:

According to a report by Asahi PC magazine, Sony may be considering using Blu-ray Disc

:P

So we are both wrong.

j4y3m
04-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Mad Cat@5 April 2004 - 21:52
Ok, so I made a mistake, but to redeem myself:

According to a report by Asahi PC magazine, Sony may be considering using Blu-ray Disc

:P

So we are both wrong.
Or maybe gamespot is wrong. :lol:

DWells55
04-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Personally, I don&#39;t find this game all that impressive. Looks like a mediocre pre-render that was turned into a real-time game. I found the Film-Noir XNA demo much more impressive.

colt45joe
04-06-2004, 03:21 AM
Pioneer to produce 50GB Blu-ray disk technique - [Computer Hardware]
Submitted by 7n7 on 4/3/2004 6:40:22 PM&nbsp; 8 Comments

A report in the Japanese press said that Pioneer will be able to double Blu-ray optical drives to support 50GB optical disks.
Nikkei.net reports that Pioneer has made the breakthrough by using an electron rather than a laser beam to etch grooves on disks.
The capacity of Blu-ray disks using conventional ultraviolet beams only supports 27GB, the wire said, but Pioneer will supply the technology under licence to other companies to boost that capacity to a massive 50GB.
Meanwhile, Philips is expected to release a dual level DVD-9 writer for around &#036;150 in a few weeks time, according to the New Scientist.
That will allow data to be written to 8.4GB disks, although the media used for the writer will cost quite a bit more than current conventional media.

Source: the Inquirer.

ahctlucabbuS
04-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by DWells55@5 April 2004 - 23:00
Personally, I don&#39;t find this game all that impressive.&nbsp; Looks like a mediocre pre-render that was turned into a real-time game.&nbsp; I found the Film-Noir XNA demo much more impressive.
Do you have a link?

nm I suppose this is what you were talking about blabla (http://games.bigpond.com/pc/resources/files/details/html/10932)

Mad Cat
04-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by colt45joe@6 April 2004 - 03:21

Pioneer to produce 50GB Blu-ray disk technique - [Computer Hardware]
Submitted by 7n7 on 4/3/2004 6:40:22 PM 8 Comments

A report in the Japanese press said that Pioneer will be able to double Blu-ray optical drives to support 50GB optical disks.
Nikkei.net reports that Pioneer has made the breakthrough by using an electron rather than a laser beam to etch grooves on disks.
The capacity of Blu-ray disks using conventional ultraviolet beams only supports 27GB, the wire said, but Pioneer will supply the technology under licence to other companies to boost that capacity to a massive 50GB.
Meanwhile, Philips is expected to release a dual level DVD-9 writer for around &#036;150 in a few weeks time, according to the New Scientist.
That will allow data to be written to 8.4GB disks, although the media used for the writer will cost quite a bit more than current conventional media.

Source: the Inquirer.

It doesn&#39;t say whether they are dual layer or not :P

fatality
04-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Core Blimey&#33; PC Rendered PS3 Graphics - 21/03/04

UK based Climax have revealed their Next-Gen console engine Blimey 2 running one of the first PS3 games under development called &#39;Avalon&#39;. Official UK PlayStation Magazine revealed some pictures of the game which gives a glimpse of the potential graphical ability of the PS3. However we must stress that these pictures do not represent the final game and do not accurately represent the PS3 as this game so far has been made entirely on PC. Climax is merely guessing the power of the PS3 and are developing accordingly in order to get a head start at development of the game. However if the PS3&#39;s games graphics turn out to look anything like these screens then the PlayStation 3 gaming experience is going to be something quite special. Click Here to see a Screenshot.
the pic ...Image Resized
Image Resized
[img]http://www.ps3portal.com/Pictures/blimey.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'> (http://www.ps3portal.com/Pictures/blimey.jpg)

fatality
04-06-2004, 01:56 PM
Half-Life 2 on PS3?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Josh on 10-06-2003

Here is a copy of the C&VG Interview:

Mention of Half-Life 2 usually makes the crowds go wild - well, we at the office do anyway; and we feel we&#39;re not alone - and earlier in the month there was particular excitement surrounding babble stating that Valve Software is planning to bring its FPS sequel to consoles other than Xbox.

Reportedly commenting that a PS2 version of Half-Life 2 is in the offing, the developer also appeared to let slip in an interview with French media (although translation caused validity issues) that plans are afoot to bring the game to PlayStation 3 and GameCube&#39;s successor as well.

Desiring the official word straight from the horse&#39;s mouth, we contacted Valve Software to discover what&#39;s what.

Speaking to the developer&#39;s Doug Lombardi, he initially re-confirmed that Half-Life 2 has been announced for Xbox, then went on to clarify the PS2 situation, saying that: "At this point, there are no plans to publish a version [of Half-Life 2] for either of Sony or Nintendo&#39;s current systems."

Of course, this means Valve&#39;s sequel looks like it will remain exclusive to Xbox in this generation of consoles - somehow, we think Microsoft might be smiling. However, it is highly possible that we&#39;ll see Half-Life 2 appearing on the next machines from Sony and Nintendo.

When questioned on the HL2 for PlayStation 3 and GameCube 2 reports, Lombardi told us: "Valve is obviously interested in hearing more about their [Sony and Nintendo] next-generation plans and discuss the possibilities of doing something with them."

Looking beyond Half-Life 2, it certainly wouldn&#39;t be foolish to speculate that other titles in the Valve Software stable, such as Counter-Strike, will also appear on Sony and Nintendo&#39;s next consoles.

In the meantime, we&#39;ll keep eyes peeled and ears open for news on Half-Life 2 on Xbox...

Stuart Bishop

PS3 Without Controllers?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Chris McCarty on 11-25-2003

Recently, Phil Harrison, vice president for SCEE spoke with the Australian Financial Review. He told them that Sony is currently investigating motion sensing technology, hoping to implement it into the new PS3 console. The EyeToy, a motion-sensing digital camera, has been used as an early test for this technology.

Harrison stated, “EyeToy was a signpost for things in the future. If you can attach very high-resolution, low-cost video cameras you can deduce some quite interesting things about their users. We&#39;ll be able to extrapolate eye movement and gestural recognition, more complicated finger movement, and the logical next step of that is to deduce from a person&#39;s facial expression and demeanor what their emotion state is.”

He later discussed more possibilities for the motion sensing, such as menus that could be controlled by moving your hand. He compared it to the computers in Minority Report. Because the technology is only in the beginning spaces, it may not be seen in the PS3. There may not be enough time for Sony to have motion-sensing part of the PS3, but Harrison wants it.

Personally, I think this is the best idea so far. It would be so amazing to be able to play games without any controllers. Maybe gamers could actually move their legs to walk, and fight each other by moving. I can’t wait until I hear more information on this technology.

aoyv73
04-06-2004, 02:48 PM
It would be so amazing to be able to play games without any controllers

yep leave your hands free for whacking off or something PC will allways rule if you have the money to keep chucking at new cards and such does so much more but pound for pound consoles win least with pc games we get patchs to put stuff right not so for consoles

fatality
04-06-2004, 02:53 PM

imagine playing football ? u&#39;ll have to run around ?? kicking would be amazing though.

u do need a lot of space for this kinda stuff

http://filesharingtalk.com/generator/smilies/550629109.png

cpt_azad
04-07-2004, 05:50 AM
trailer looks good, but the graphics are comparable to doom3, but hey, doom3 is crap on xbox, xbox2 (and ps3) are gonna kick ass if they can support such high detailed games. as for the eyetoy thing, it&#39;d kick ass if every fps game made for ps3 (or xbox2 if microsoft had something going like the eyetoy) came wit a gun, which we could use to play the game instead of using the controller :D

ahctlucabbuS
04-07-2004, 09:12 AM

Its called sport

dinner123
04-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Barky@7 April 2004 - 09:12

Its called sport
lol :lol: :lol: