PDA

View Full Version : Making Web Layoutss Using Graphic Programs

monkeyhead
04-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi,
Ive been looking around at weblayouts and discoverd there made using photoshop.
For example this guys (http://www.zymic.com) work is pretty cool :D
And i am wondering if there are any other products out there which can do virtally the same stuff as photoshop but much cheaper alternitves.
Thanks
Monkeyhead
:helpsmile:

P.s

I know getting the pirate copy is proberly the easyiest option but please dont tell me to get that!(yet anyway :P )

delphin460
04-07-2004, 07:05 PM
macromedia fireworks does the same job , and i prefer it cause it link direct with dreamweaver

h1
04-07-2004, 11:06 PM
The GIMP (http://www.gimp.org). It's free and owns Photoshop's sorry ass.

delphin460
04-08-2004, 01:26 AM
for you to say that the gimp owns Photoshop's sorry ass, shows you lack of understanding of the complexity of photoshop

the gimp may be easier for noobs to get done what they want, but lacks a lot of the higher end functions photoshop can perform

im not saying the gimp is crap but it aint in the same league as photoshop or fireworks

h1
04-08-2004, 08:07 AM
:lol: That just shows you've never "really" used GIMP. It's pretty much the only high-end option on a Linux box like mine and it works.

I've used Photoshop before (OK, I'll admit it, 2.0 :D) and just thought GIMP was better.

And the best thing is that it comes naked, like Firefox, it's up to you to customize and extend it. With things like Perl-Fu and Python-Fu, you can even go as deep as "coding" your own image.

I'm sorry, but I just have to disagree with you. :)

monkeyhead
04-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Would fireworks or gimp do the job for making somthing like haxor's banner?
Thanks
Monkeyhead

delphin460
04-08-2004, 10:01 AM
yep

monkeyhead
04-08-2004, 06:49 PM
So with fireworks i could make special effects?

h1
04-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Fireworks is not meant for high-end image creation, it's more like an image editor / optimizer for web use. Fireworks and Photoshop are actually two completely different products.

About the banner, I didn't make it, SharedHolder did, but he doesn't mind. :D

delphin460
04-09-2004, 01:53 AM
haxor have you even used firworks???

i use it to create commercial web suites, along with dreamweaver

it has all the layer and effect capabilities that phoitoshop does + the the optimisation and editing features of image ready

h1
04-09-2004, 05:54 AM
Yes, I've run Fireworks in winex. And no, I still believe it's primarily a program for editing graphics for the web.

Photoshop isn't. It produces big-ass files that weren't meant to be published, but it's way more capable than Fireworks.

See, even comparing Fireworks to Photoshop is impossible because they do two totally different things. Macromedia has no equivalent to Fireworks. ImageReady would be more comparable to Fireworks.

blunt_on_tour
04-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@9 April 2004 - 05:54

Photoshop isn't. It produces big-ass files that weren't meant to be published, but it's way more capable than Fireworks.

Is this why all my 'optimized' images are so huge compared to some people's with the same image quality, but a much smaller file? Quite often I'll make something I like in Photoshop, but as soon as I try to make it a managable size for web use it turns to shit.
I've got PS7, Fireworks MX, Flash MX and Imageready - which one is best at optimizing filesizes? Or is it just that I'm crap at using them? :lol:

h1
04-13-2004, 05:35 AM
Use Fireworks... a good balance is JPEG (70% quality / 10% dither), GIF (128 colors / alpha transparency), or GIF (256 colors / index or no transparency). :)

blunt_on_tour
04-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by haxor41789@13 April 2004 - 05:35
Use Fireworks... a good balance is JPEG (70% quality / 10% dither), GIF (128 colors / alpha transparency), or GIF (256 colors / index or no transparency). :)

So Photoshop isn't good for optimizing images then? Thought as much - there aren't many options in between the original image size and the optimized size.

Sometimes you feel like you just need a small increase in quality, but there doesn't seem to be any way of doing it. It would be nice if you could put in the size you want the finished image to be and then alter it to get the best results.

Canti
04-13-2004, 05:00 PM
I can't say that I have used THE GIMP, but I use photoshop primarily for its layers blending and really tricky image effects, but it's terrible at exporting, and even saving sometimes! There is one bug that wont allow a .gif extension in the filetype dropdown, but I dont use PS for saving anything other than .psd's anyway..

Photoshop 7 comes with ImageReady which seems to me what the copy of Fireworks (that I used a long time ago, so its probably changed a bit since then.) used to do. Animations, full page cutups, compression etc..

3rd party compressors can usually get you a better final crunch, so what I sometimes do is export large on the final jpg (i tweak gifs a bit differently) then crunch with a 3rd party prog..

A buddy sent me THE GIMP a while ago, maybe its time to download the latest version and give her the old try.....

blunt_on_tour
04-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Canti@13 April 2004 - 17:00
I can't say that I have used THE GIMP, but I use photoshop primarily for its layers blending and really tricky image effects, but it's terrible at exporting, and even saving sometimes! There is one bug that wont allow a .gif extension in the filetype dropdown, but I dont use PS for saving anything other than .psd's anyway..

Photoshop 7 comes with ImageReady which seems to me what the copy of Fireworks (that I used a long time ago, so its probably changed a bit since then.) used to do. Animations, full page cutups, compression etc..

3rd party compressors can usually get you a better final crunch, so what I sometimes do is export large on the final jpg (i tweak gifs a bit differently) then crunch with a 3rd party prog..

A buddy sent me THE GIMP a while ago, maybe its time to download the latest version and give her the old try.....
Yeah, thanks. I had a look at the gimp site, with a view to downloading it, but it's up around 20mb, so it would probably take ages to d/l (I'm still on 56k). I'll try the setting you suggested first, and if that doesn't work I'll go get a copy of gimp.

Thanks again :)

h1
04-15-2004, 03:11 AM
:huh: The GIMP is 6,878KB, GTK+ is 3,619KB, and LZW (which you won't find on the site, download it here (http://www.s93622254.onlinehome.us/misc/gimp-1.2.5-lzw.exe) :D) is a whopping 38KB. :P

blunt_on_tour
04-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by haxor41789@15 April 2004 - 03:11
:huh: The GIMP is 6,878KB, GTK+ is 3,619KB, and LZW (which you won't find on the site, download it here (http://www.s93622254.onlinehome.us/misc/gimp-1.2.5-lzw.exe) :D) is a whopping 38KB. :P
:huh: I must have read it wrong then :lol: Dunno where I got the idea it was 20 megs.... :blink: