PDA

View Full Version : Bt Is Killing My Router

abu_has_the_power
04-07-2004, 11:26 PM
i've narrowed the router prob to be caused by bt. i run bt, and my connection goes down after a while. then i turn off bt, and all goes back to normal immediatly. :huh: :huh: :unsure: :unsure: :blink: :blink:

wtf is going on??? is it a wrong setting in the router config?

Neo 721
04-07-2004, 11:40 PM
it could be hogging brandwidth, or there may be port trouble.

When i say port trouble it could be conflicting with a mainstream app such as a browser, or proxy port, or any other port for that matter. The other alternative is that the router could have blocked several ports and has only allowed certain trafic through, the app could then be exploiting this port or ports.

muchspl2
04-08-2004, 12:04 AM
http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#freeze

abu_has_the_power
04-08-2004, 12:21 AM
what ohter prog could possibly be using 6881 to 6999?

could it be that i'm doing port forwarding wrong?

here's what i did:

1. type this in: http://192.168.123.254 (unless u changed ur router's ip, like i did. this is just the default ip)
2. log in. there's no need to enter password unless u set 1 later
3. for port-forwarding, us robotics calls it "Virtual Server"  u go to Primary Setup, and make sure it's set as Dynamic IP Address
4. Go to ur network connections in Control Panel, then open Local Area Connections
5. select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on properties
6. select use following ip address
7. go back to ur router's config page. and click on DHCP Server
8. IP Pool Starting Address will say 100-199. so ur ip will be: 192.168.123.100 to 192.168.123.199
9. now go back to ur lan config, and in ip, type in 192.168.123.100 or watever u set as starting ip add.
10. The Subnet mask will automatically set it self
11. the default gateway is 192.168.123.254, unless u change ur router's ip add.
12. select Use following DNS Server Address, and enter 192.168.123.254 in Prefered DNS Server, unless u changed it.
13. now, go back to ur router config page, and click on Virtual Server
14. In Service Ports, enter the ports of ur bt, shadows is 6881-6999
15. In Server IP, enter ur comp's ip, in this case: 192.168.123.100 to 192.168.123.100
16. Click Enable and Save
it's from my thread in tips section.

am i doing something wrong?

abu_has_the_power
04-08-2004, 12:30 AM
for port forwarding, when i enter my ip add and stuff into TCP/IP properties, do i use my WAN ip or my router ip? they're very different

nvm. wan doesn't work. now, did i do something wrong in my port forward steps on my router?

it says:

Port forwarding sets up public services on your network. When Internet users make requests to a specific port in your network, the Broadband Router will forward those requests to the appropriate computer. The computer must be configured to a static IP address to use port forwarding. Port forwarding is generally used to set up a Web server, ftp server, or e-mail server on your network. Some well-known services are included in a pre-defined list.
from us robotics website. i'm using dynamic ip add, according to the guy from this forum that told me how do do port forwarding. should i switch it to static?

and does -Discard PING from WAN side- help? the support guy from us robotics told me to try this

abu_has_the_power
04-08-2004, 01:13 AM
anyone?

SingaBoiy
04-08-2004, 09:42 AM
I used to get that crap all the time. Some things I did was installed drivers for my NIC and limit the number of people o connect to. Cause if you connect to too many people, it will "flood" your connection and it will shut down.

abu_has_the_power
04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
ok. it looks like i found somewhat of a solution to this prob. i had a bad torrent. i took out my router, and tried dling that torrent, and it said the tracker was giving bad data. when i put the router back in, it starts dling, but stops after a while. so it's a bad torrent. cuz i just dled the whole south park movie thing none stop last night with no probs. i'll keep u guys posted if i still get confused

abu_has_the_power
04-09-2004, 11:05 PM
seems to be happening again. the thing is, before, i've used all kinds of torrents, none of them has resulted in disconnecting my internet. it's happened a few times again today. annoying. i don't that the torrent is bad either

Peerzy
04-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by SingaBoiy@8 April 2004 - 09:42
I used to get that crap all the time. Some things I did was installed drivers for my NIC and limit the number of people o connect to. Cause if you connect to too many people, it will "flood" your connection and it will shut down.
Hey i just notice your sig, :lol: i never did check back what happened to that thread.

:lol:

boozdog
04-13-2004, 11:49 AM
I have bt router to, and had same probs for last couple of weeks, not your router its BT's servers. All seems fine now.