PDA

View Full Version : Non-existent Upload Speed

wildhorse
03-12-2003, 10:58 AM
An unusual question for sure, but how can I fix my lack of uploading speed?
I am lucky to be even able to upload at a piss-poor speed of 1.07 kb/s.
I have lost count of the aborted uploaded files, 9 times out of 10 I do not even have a upload speed, providing you call o kb/s an upload speed.

I am unphased about the downloading speeds, but what is really getting me wild is my lack ofupload speed & as I believe in giving back , it would be nice to be able to upload a few files back. I have noticed tho, a couple of uploads start at 14 kb/s but slowly wind down to o kb/s
Any suggestions ?

I am running cable, unlimited download & a capped upload of 16 kb/s. But surely for even such a small capped upload, I should still be able to get at something

thanx in advance

Rocktron
03-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Why not set the upload speed to Unlimited? Or 512?
16 is Leeching! (people who do that, do it so they can download faster them selfes!)

Most people download about a million files at a time and at no speed at all! (Like 0.89kb)
Just set the Maximum number of uploaders to the number that is acceptable like 5, and the Max. upload speed to 512!

Why worry about upload speed if you set it to 16?

Mivaro
03-12-2003, 11:22 AM
because of a bug in kazaa the the kb speed and kB speed are mixed up. You've limited the ul speed to 16 kbs, that's 16/8=2KB
Set your max ul speed 8 times higher so it'll be ok.

ps. I'm not too sure about those kb and kB terms...but i know what i'm trying to say :D :lol:

Rocktron
03-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Mivaro@12 March 2003 - 12:22
because of a bug in kazaa the the kb speed and kB speed are mixed up. You've limited the ul speed to 16 kbs, that's 16/8=2KB
Set your max ul speed 8 times higher so it'll be ok.

ps. I'm not too sure about those kb and kB terms...but i know what i'm trying to say :D :lol:
Is there really a bug :o Mivaro?

How do you know that? If there is.., I just re-install the older 2.02 version again!
(I'm having problems with some moviez lately! Downloading at no speed at all like 1.07kb)

Is this a bug? :unsure:

Mivaro
03-12-2003, 11:37 AM
it's an old kazaa bug, nothing serious, you only get easily confused about the settings. Where you set your max upload speed it's in bits and in your traffic screen it's in bytes. That's why setting max ul to 16 (bits) gives you an actually upload speed of 2kB...

"The Avatar Man"
03-12-2003, 11:53 AM
It's not a bug!
it's just displyed in BITS not BYTES.
8 BITS=1 BYTE
so by setting the maximum to 16 BITS you have really set it to 2 BYTES
so set it yo 128 and you'll have set it for
16kbs ;)

Mivaro
03-12-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Master YodaX@12 March 2003 - 12:53
It's not a bug!
it's just displyed in BITS not BYTES.
8 BITS=1 BYTE
so by setting the maximum to 16 BITS you have really set it to 2 BYTES
so set it yo 128 and you'll have set it for
16kbs ;)
well, in my opinion it's a bug... :rolleyes:

They should have used the same terms in both..

The rest you've explained in far better words then mine :D

Ynhockey
03-12-2003, 12:30 PM
No offense guys, but i think you misunderstood the question... i think he meant that his cable provider limited the upload speed to 16 kB/s (if that's possible)... anyway, make sure you share files that ppl actually need and also make sure you didn't limit your upstream in kazaa itself (set it to something like 128k)...

"The Avatar Man"
03-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by wildhorse@12 March 2003 - 11:58

I am lucky to be even able to upload at a piss-poor speed of 1.07 kb/s.

I am running cable, unlimited download & a capped upload of 16 kb/s.
If he has the upload set to 16 INSIDE kazaa than he has set it at 2kbs
and that seems to be the problem.he never once mentions his isp ;)

wildhorse
03-12-2003, 12:59 PM
kind thanks to the people whom took the time to reply to my post,
it seems that something I put in may have confused the issue here somewhat.

When I referred to the unlimited upload & capped 16 kb/s upload, I was referring to my own ISP.
Also if it does help I will include the settings I have used as from the help files.

TRAFFIC: max number of simutaneous downloads 8
max number of sumutaneous uploads 4

ADVANCED:max number of search results 150
MAX BANDWIDTH unlimited
am not functioning as super node
optimal bandwidth unchaecked

I hope that may help a little bit more.

Mivaro
03-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by wildhorse@12 March 2003 - 13:59
When I referred to the unlimited upload & capped 16 kb/s upload, I was referring to my own ISP.

ok, that's cleared up :D

if it's capped at 16kbits, there's nothing you can do except changing ISP....
if it's in Bytes you could check if your firewall does'nt give problems

Rocktron
03-12-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Mivaro+12 March 2003 - 14:13--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mivaro @ 12 March 2003 - 14:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--wildhorse@12 March 2003 - 13:59

ok, that&#39;s cleared up :D

if it&#39;s capped at 16kbits, there&#39;s nothing you can do except changing ISP....
if it&#39;s in Bytes you could check if your firewall does&#39;nt give problems [/b][/quote]
There you go&#33; :D

Switeck
03-12-2003, 04:50 PM
By the sound of it, his ISP is packet-shaping (read THROTTLING) all outgoing ip packets on port 1214 -- in short, Kazaa&#39;s upload port is getting strangled by his ISP.

Trying a different ip port *MIGHT* help.

But otherwise, get another file sharing program and try uploading on it as well to see if speeds are any better. (You&#39;ll probably need to change THEIR default ip ports as well&#33;)

I recommend BitTorrent, and try to get a tv show on it. If you set it up correctly (you have to port-forward if you&#39;re behind a router), it should work at nearly the full speed of your connection for uploading and roughly the same speed (or even MUCH faster) for downloading. Just only try to get 1 file at a time through it or you could overload your computer with simultaneous connects - if you&#39;re on Win 9x/ME&#33;

wildhorse
03-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Again Offer sincere thanks to all that took the time to offer suggestions & help. I confirmed the set upload speed with my ISP & it is capped at 16 kilobytes :angry: but when there are only 2 cable ISp&#39;s in Australia , I have no choice, the other ISP ( which I dont use being Telstra ) is a joke.
I will try the suggestion switeck suggests & try bit torrent & see how it goes there. I will let u know how things go.

Again my thanks for all that helped.

wildhorse
03-13-2003, 12:16 PM
well, after a little bit of reading at a speed tweak site, added a couple of tweeks for XP pro, & re configured the QoS packet scheduler, I have a bit better upload speed. have not had any 0.00 kb/s uploads as yet ( touch wood ), most now seem to average out to around 5-7 kb/s , tho a couple have been at 14 kb/s. Tho still small upload speeds I know, but a lot better than my 1.07 - 0.00 kb/s upload speed & with just short of 300 files I have made available for upload, I hope it gets a great deal better.

Regards to all David