PDA

View Full Version : Xp Won't Boot

hey_suburbia
04-16-2004, 02:57 AM
Xp pro get's stuck doing boot on a weird 8-bit looking screen.

I uploaded a screen shot:

http://www.basicfunction.com/boot.html

Recently installed Microsoft Updates.....

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

tesco
04-16-2004, 03:06 AM
try booting up in safemode. to do that then right before the first screen u uploaded, the windows xp professional screen, you keep tapping F8 until it gives you a menu saying safemode, last known good config, system restore, normal, etc. try safemode, and then try last known good config.

peat moss
04-16-2004, 03:06 AM
Video drivers? Did you update them? I only update the critical ones not the driver updates.Try rolling back the video drivers IN SAFEMODE that should fix it .

4play
04-16-2004, 03:13 AM
looks like video problems normally refresh rates get set too high for your video card or your monitor causes that.

press f8 on boot and go to roll back your system.

hey_suburbia
04-16-2004, 03:47 AM
rather than safe mode or "last known config.." i went for Enable VGA mode and it worked, but my Resolution is like 640x480.

will "last known config" delete any of my files? or just system ones??

Thanks.

I realized the problem was most likely my video card after I had posted, but i get so jumpy when my cpu doesn't start. I had 2 hard drives completed be destroyed in the past 5 years, so my first assumstion is that I fried another.

tesco
04-16-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by hey_suburbia@15 April 2004 - 22:47
rather than safe mode or "last known config.." i went for Enable VGA mode and it worked, but my Resolution is like 640x480.

will "last known config" delete any of my files? or just system ones??

Thanks.

I realized the problem was most likely my video card after I had posted, but i get so jumpy when my cpu doesn't start. I had 2 hard drives completed be destroyed in the past 5 years, so my first assumstion is that I fried another.
uhh i think last known good config will just change settings back to the last time it knwos the computer was working for you. you wont notice that its done anything, and you dont have to wait for anything it starts right up. reinstall the drivers and you can get a higher resolution.