PDA

View Full Version : Fifa President Proposes Scrapping Draws

Barbarossa
04-27-2004, 02:21 PM
BERLIN (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter has proposed scrapping draws in soccer, saying every game should have a winner.

In an idea which would revolutionise the world's most popular sport if adopted, Blatter suggested that games could be decided by a penalty shoot-out in the case of a draw.

"Every game should have a winner," Blatter, president of soccer's ruling body, told German sports news agency SID.

"When you play cards or any other game, there's always a winner and a loser. We should have the courage to introduce a final decision in every game of football."

Blatter said the best way would be penalties but added he would study any other proposal.

Hands up who fucking hates Sepp Blatter... :01:

Football has never been more popular than it currently is now, why the need to tinker with it all the time?

This is just the lastest in a long line of lame ideas, e.g. golden goals, silver goals, enlarging the goalposts, the non-interfering off-side player, quarters instead of halfs, etc. :angry:

Opinions? :blink:

yonki
04-27-2004, 03:26 PM
"Every game should have a winner,"

He knows nothing about football, sometimes both teams play so bad that none deserves a win,or the both play really well and none deserves to lose.

Busyman
04-28-2004, 01:20 AM
I would agree that having no draws would help bring others outside the sport into it but........for a sport that may have a 1-1 tie it is better to leave it a draw rather than someone drop dead from exhaustion.

At the end, if a game was decided by a penalty shot it would bring me closer to the game than a tie.

I'm American and we hate draws. I froze my ass off at NFL game that ended

7 to 7 :angry: :angry:

WHAT A PISSER!!!

Seeing though that soccer is the most popular sport in world, I don't see why he would fuck with the rules.

The only fans soccer could gain would be Americans but why lose the rest of the world.

Cheese
04-28-2004, 11:32 AM
This all stems from FIFA wanting the game to be accepted in the USA. They see the USA as a huge cash-cow for soccer, if the US were to all start watching soccer then imagine how much money FIFA could earn from this?

In 1994 when the World Cup was held in the US there were talk of similar rules changes but isn't time FIFA just accepted that the americans are never gonna be as excited by soccer as us Europeans..?

Busyman says it very well:

The only fans soccer could gain would be Americans but why lose the rest of the world.

Barbarossa
04-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Follow-up:

LONDON (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter's suggestion to do away with draws in soccer has been met with derision by the media and questioned by a senior colleague.

The head of soccer's world governing body said every game should have a winner and matches should be decided by a penalty shoot-out in the case of a draw.

Argentine Football Association president Julio Grondona, a FIFA vice-president, said Blatter must have made the suggestion in "a moment of euphoria."

Grondona, 72, told La Red radio station: "Blatter gives lots of press conferences and at times he has nothing to say. We are not in the business of changing something that works.

"He must have been speaking in a moment of euphoria."

Germany's top-selling daily Bild put Blatter on Wednesday's front page in its traditional winner/loser section. The FIFA president was the loser of the day.

"What's so wrong about a fair draw?" wrote Bild. "This proposal deserves a red card."

Both Bild and German soccer magazine Kicker asked visitors of their websites to vote for or against the proposal.

On its website Bild listed two other recent Blatter ideas, scrapping summer breaks and increasing the number of teams at World Cups to 36, saying both had been rejected. Bild also mocked Blatter for ruling on such matters as football shirts and goal celebrations.

The Daily Mail said: "Are these the well thought out ideas to revolutionise the world's game or the mutterings of a man who has been in office too long for his -- and football's -- own good?"

The Mail also ridiculed a number of Blatter's previous ideas, such as playing four quarters instead of two halves, having a World Cup every two years and the wearing of sexier attire in the women's game to attract more television viewers.

"Football has been listening to the 68-year-old Blatter -- and his stranger than fiction ideas -- for far too long."

The newspaper said they were theories which, were they ever put into practice, would "turn the Beautiful Game into instant chaos."

In The Times, Blatter's latest idea was seen as a way of pandering to the American market.

"The Americans may have outlawed the draw in their own sports. It doesn't follow that messing up football will make it sexy to America."

England's Football Association declined to comment on Blatter's suggestion when contacted by Reuters.

DanB
04-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by barbarossa@28 April 2004 - 14:18
Follow-up:

LONDON (Reuters) - FIFA president Sepp Blatter's suggestion to do away with draws in soccer has been met with derision by the media and questioned by a senior colleague.

The head of soccer's world governing body said every game should have a winner and matches should be decided by a penalty shoot-out in the case of a draw.

Argentine Football Association president Julio Grondona, a FIFA vice-president, said Blatter must have made the suggestion in "a moment of euphoria."

Grondona, 72, told La Red radio station: "Blatter gives lots of press conferences and at times he has nothing to say. We are not in the business of changing something that works.

"He must have been speaking in a moment of euphoria."

Germany's top-selling daily Bild put Blatter on Wednesday's front page in its traditional winner/loser section. The FIFA president was the loser of the day.

"What's so wrong about a fair draw?" wrote Bild. "This proposal deserves a red card."

Both Bild and German soccer magazine Kicker asked visitors of their websites to vote for or against the proposal.

On its website Bild listed two other recent Blatter ideas, scrapping summer breaks and increasing the number of teams at World Cups to 36, saying both had been rejected. Bild also mocked Blatter for ruling on such matters as football shirts and goal celebrations.

The Daily Mail said: "Are these the well thought out ideas to revolutionise the world's game or the mutterings of a man who has been in office too long for his -- and football's -- own good?"

The Mail also ridiculed a number of Blatter's previous ideas, such as playing four quarters instead of two halves, having a World Cup every two years and the wearing of sexier attire in the women's game to attract more television viewers.

"Football has been listening to the 68-year-old Blatter -- and his stranger than fiction ideas -- for far too long."

The newspaper said they were theories which, were they ever put into practice, would "turn the Beautiful Game into instant chaos."

In The Times, Blatter's latest idea was seen as a way of pandering to the American market.

"The Americans may have outlawed the draw in their own sports. It doesn't follow that messing up football will make it sexy to America."

England's Football Association declined to comment on Blatter's suggestion when contacted by Reuters.

Good, Seth Blatter is a meddling little shite :lol:

Busyman
04-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by barbarossa@28 April 2004 - 09:18

I knew it!!!

We haven't outlawed the draw though

Hockey
Soccer (MLS)
Football
Boxing

all have draws

We hate draws though. Americans don't go, "They both played well, ahhhh, what a great game."

This seems to go to core of why we don't like soccer as much as well.

It seems soccer fans like the nonstop back and forth of the game...whether there is scoring or not. Sounds like a lengthy tug of war.

Americans like the tug of war to be the scoring and that goes along with statistical things like steals, sacks, interceptions, etc. It makes for more excitement.

I have watched soccer matches and it reminds me of something I can chill to but I never get overly excited unless there is a move that results in a goal.

I saw one MLS highlight where one guy passed the ball to another and he timed it perfectly off his head for a goal. Now that was excellent!!! I think the game ended 2-0 also.

J'Pol
04-28-2004, 08:39 PM
I think, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It ain't broke.

j4y3m
04-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Busyman+28 April 2004 - 17:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 28 April 2004 - 17:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-barbarossa@28 April 2004 - 09:18

I knew it!!!

Hockey
Soccer (MLS)
Football
Boxing

all have draws

We hate draws though. Americans don't go, "They both played well, ahhhh, what a great game."

It seems soccer fans like the nonstop back and forth of the game...whether there is scoring or not. Sounds like a lengthy tug of war.

Americans like the tug of war to be the scoring and that goes along with statistical things like steals, sacks, interceptions, etc. It makes for more excitement.

I have watched soccer matches and it reminds me of something I can chill to but I never get overly excited unless there is a move that results in a goal.

I saw one MLS highlight where one guy passed the ball to another and he timed it perfectly off his head for a goal. Now that was excellent!!! I think the game ended 2-0 also. [/b][/quote]
That's probably because you don't watch football(soccer) often. You have to support a team and follow the sport for a awhile to really get excited. :)

Busyman
04-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by j4y3m+28 April 2004 - 17:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j4y3m @ 28 April 2004 - 17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Busyman@28 April 2004 - 17:53
<!--QuoteBegin-barbarossa@28 April 2004 - 09:18

I knew it!!!

Hockey
Soccer (MLS)
Football
Boxing

all have draws

I saw one MLS highlight where one guy passed the ball to another and he timed it perfectly off his head for a goal. Now that was excellent!!! I think the game ended 2-0 also.
That's probably because you don't watch football(soccer) often. You have to support a team and follow the sport for a awhile to really get excited. :) [/b][/quote]
I've played it more than I've watched it.

I've watched English Leagur Soccer. They put it on pay per view (which I get free :D ).

On thing about Americans like me is if it's sport related we almost force ourselves to give a lengthy try.

I've done it with baseball, hockey, and soccer.

Hockey is the only exception that I can go to a game and enjoy myself extremely well. I love it.

Watching it on TV...FART!!!

I'm very surprised there hasn't been an American version of soccer with many differing rules. MLS is pretty much the same rules as world soccer.
It might fail like women's soccer did.

Look at the fact that we've changed:

Rugby to football
Rounders to baseball

Basketball is totally original though.

j4y3m
04-29-2004, 01:15 AM
Basketball seems like a cool sport but I&#39;ve never watched a full game except on Space Jam. :lol:

Busyman
04-29-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by j4y3m@28 April 2004 - 21:15
Basketball seems like a cool sport but I&#39;ve never watched a full game except on Space Jam. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That&#39;s hilarious. I&#39;ve got to tell that one to the folks at work.