PDA

View Full Version : I Got Caught !

krome
05-02-2004, 10:14 PM
they just send me a letter from DMCA they i was downloading a Movies using the Bittorent program , to Comcast.. That they want me to remove any of the digital millienum copyright material from my computer, and to remove the program, or they will proceed on sue.. :frusty: , So I guess they gave me a warning that they are taking over people using bittorent downloading movies, music, apps...

I take it they are not only going after people using Kazaa , since bittorent is a part of sharing ..

they caught me with downloading
**TheRundown.avi** :(
....................................................................................................

muchspl2
05-02-2004, 10:27 PM
update your firewall nigga, protect your neck

krome
05-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by muchspl2@2 May 2004 - 14:27
update your firewall nigga, protect your neck
yeah , also i new a should had put dat peerguarding also :( .... mistakes happen i guess

riceboi
05-02-2004, 10:33 PM
my only advice is ..dont use suprn0va.. :huh:

muchspl2
05-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by riceboi@2 May 2004 - 17:33
my only advice is ..dont use bittorrent.. :huh:
fixed

Monkeee
05-02-2004, 11:52 PM
here's another advice.... dont use comcast to download movies..... most of COMCAST customers had been caught download movies and pirated shit.

lol23
05-03-2004, 12:10 AM
just butting in on post here but @ muchspl2 which is best firewall to get when u downloading. i got a router already but dont know bout firewalls!! :huh:
kinda guessed xp one no good though! do u have to config for ports on firewall n if so is it straight forward?? :rolleyes:
cheers :D

also wots peerguarding?? :rolleyes: :huh:

muchspl2
05-03-2004, 12:14 AM
zygate/zone alarm & outpost are great, they can import the bad ip list from the peer guardian website
I should use zygate, but have been using zone alarm for so long, kinda like the people that still use norton :0

erRor67
05-03-2004, 02:07 AM
yeah what he said above. Zone Alarm, Norton FireWall, SyGate, Outpost, and BlackIce. And Protowall would be a good choice to use. Its like PeerGuardian only better. it blocks the bad ips for even making a connection to you. ;)

Oh, and are you sure that the email is valid? I heard that alot of people are spamming fake emails about downloading illegal crap and stuff.

krome
05-03-2004, 02:26 AM
They still trying to connect to me , look what zonealarm caught... <_<
.. . . .. ............................. .................................................

OrgName: Comcast Cable Communications Holdings, Inc
OrgID: CCCH-3
Address: 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd
City: Mt Laurel
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 08054

NetRange: 66.176.0.0 - 66.177.255.255
CIDR: 66.176.0.0/15
NetName: CCCH3-25
NetHandle: NET-66-176-0-0-1
Parent: NET-66-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS4.ATTBB.NET
NameServer: NS5.ATTBB.NET
NameServer: NS6.ATTBB.NET
Comment:
RegDate:
Updated: 2004-02-18

OrgAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Network Abuse and Policy Observance
OrgAbusePhone: +1-856-317-7272
OrgAbuseEmail: [email protected]

OrgTechHandle: IC161-ARIN
OrgTechName: Comcast Cable Communications Inc
OrgTechPhone: +1-856-317-7200
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2004-04-27 19:15
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN&#39;s WHOIS database.

Xero Grid
05-03-2004, 05:06 AM
A router should be fine with some additonal programs.
Download Protowall and The Blocklist Manager (http://bluetack.co.uk/index.php)

You could use a client (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/) that&#39;s more configurable. You can choose to use one port and use something not so common. This way, you would only have to forward one remote port in your router rather than one per torrent download.

Technically, changing clients would qualify as removing the program. :lol:

But, just in case they are using more than port monitoring, clean and tweak your system.
X-Setup (http://www.x-setup.net/) <---Ultimate Tweaking tool
BlackViper&#39;s Site (http://www.blackviper.com/) <---Shut down vulnerable services.
Virus (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=56265) and Spyware (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=58636) removal

You could always do a format. :D
They can&#39;t find anything then... unless of course your ISP is the NSA. :blink:

-- Xero Grid --

RealitY
05-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by riceboi@2 May 2004 - 14:33
my only advice is ..dont use suprn0va.. :huh:
:P :P

Dead Cartoon Fish
05-03-2004, 09:27 AM
Tips on how to avoid getting caught..

DON&#39;T DOWNLOAD SCREENERS IE... VCDS THAT ARE ONLY A FEW WEEKS OLD

DON&#39;T USE SUPRNOVA TO DOWNLOAD THE SCREENERS...USE PRIVATE FORUMS OR IRC IF YOU MUST HAVE THEM

PROTOWALL AND PG DONT WORK&#33; ESPECIALLY FOR BIT TORRENT...THEY CAN GET YOUR IP REGARDLESS EVEN IF YOUR IP IS STATIC OR DYNAMIC...IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO IS YOUR ISP...COMCAST IS AMONG THE WORST IN THE USA...THEY ARE PARTNERED WITH A WELL KNOWN MOVIE STUDIO SO THEY HAVE A AGENDA AND ITS YOU&#33;

NEVER USE KAZAA TO DOWNLOAD SCREENERS OR NEW RELEASES SOME OF THE FAKES ARE TRAPS THAT GET YOU CAUGHT

STICK WITH MOVIE FILES THAT HAVE BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE AND WELL CIRCULATED...

SUPRNOVA IS A BEE HIVE FOR THE MPAA, THEY LOVE THIS PLACE&#33;&#33;&#33;

Lyrok
05-03-2004, 07:47 PM
what if you have an external and export everything there?

does that keep you safe some?

krome
05-04-2004, 12:06 AM
well they just showed on TechTV *TheScreenSavers of the letter that I got from Comcast , saying that some people that resived it don&#39;t know what eles to do besides removing the files, should they apoligies or something....

freak
05-04-2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Dead Cartoon Fish@3 May 2004 - 10:27

DON&#39;T USE SUPRNOVA TO DOWNLOAD THE SCREENERS...USE PRIVATE FORUMS OR IRC IF YOU MUST HAVE THEM

PROTOWALL AND PG DONT WORK&#33; ESPECIALLY FOR BIT TORRENT...THEY CAN GET YOUR IP REGARDLESS EVEN IF YOUR IP IS STATIC OR DYNAMIC...IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO IS YOUR ISP...COMCAST IS AMONG THE WORST IN THE USA...THEY ARE PARTNERED WITH A WELL KNOWN MOVIE STUDIO SO THEY HAVE A AGENDA AND ITS YOU&#33;

NEVER USE KAZAA TO DOWNLOAD SCREENERS OR NEW RELEASES SOME OF THE FAKES ARE TRAPS THAT GET YOU CAUGHT

I don&#39;t think you really know what your talking about <_<

Dead Cartoon Fish
05-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by freak+4 May 2004 - 00:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (freak @ 4 May 2004 - 00:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dead Cartoon Fish@3 May 2004 - 10:27

I don&#39;t think you really know what your talking about <_< [/b][/quote]
Do what you want to... :huh:

freak
05-04-2004, 01:59 AM
I guess i&#39;m just not paranoid like a bunch of the noobs are. :lol: Plus there not much of a risk for downloading movies atm the MPAA really hasn&#39;t got in to the sueing scene yet sure theres a few but most are just empty threats :music1:

Sony
05-04-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by krome@4 May 2004 - 01:06
well they just showed on TechTV *TheScreenSavers of the letter that I got from Comcast , saying that some people that resived it don&#39;t know what eles to do besides removing the files, should they apoligies or something....
lol No don&#39;t do nothing dude...i got the second notice from Comcast downloading a SVCD movie and i haven&#39;t responded to any of them.....Now i can se why my ZoneAlarm is going nuts from this Comcast ISP fuckers&#33; they are Port scening me every now and then

I don&#39;t know what is going on? Comcast might be working with MPAA or something?

My ZoneAlarm is blocking them :D here is a IP from them that wont leave me alone > 67.164.214.74

Monkeee
05-04-2004, 07:20 AM
wait i just started using ZoneAlarm and how do i export the Ip&#39;s From peer Gurdian to Zone Alarm? :blink:

vivitron 15
05-04-2004, 09:25 AM
actually i do believe the crazy guy who shouts has some good points

ive stopped dling brand new releases for a couple of reasons:

1. the quality is usu terrible, and i mnever in that much of a hurry to see a film, so i wait till theres a dvd-rip or dvd-r (usuallly)

2. the agencies will undoubtably want to get to the "source" of the screeners - so theyll go for the newest poss releases - screeners and the suchlike. I would imagine they will be most likely to want to safeguard their cinema interests - if a film is already on TV, then they wont give a monkeys about it, cos most likely they wont make much money from dvd sales anyhow. Im not saying i wait this long, but you get the idea

Anyhow, the safest way to dl is to get from RL mates, or a closed community.

johnboy27
05-04-2004, 12:56 PM
All this is just another reason I love Canada.

NotoriousBIC
05-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Dead Cartoon Fish@3 May 2004 - 09:35

Step away from the Caps Lock......thx.

But I do agree. Suprnova is a nono.
I really don&#39;t even bother with cams/telesyncs. They&#39;re crappy quality anyway.

Azureus has an IP blocker plugin. It uses the same database as Peerguardian. This will prevent nasties of seeing your IP in a torrent swarm.

Benno
05-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by vivitron 15@4 May 2004 - 09:33
Anyhow, the safest way to dl is to get from RL mates, or a closed community.
Sure let all the others take the risk :P

j/k

I never get the newest releases anyway because I dont like the quality of TS/cams ;)

Lyrok
05-05-2004, 12:12 AM
So what&#39;s some good programs form protecting me. peer gaurdian and zone alarm i heard being tossed around.

and whats some good closed communities?

i always wait for dvd-rips anyways.

krome
05-05-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Lyrok@4 May 2004 - 16:20
So what&#39;s some good programs form protecting me. peer gaurdian and zone alarm i heard being tossed around.

and whats some good closed communities?

i always wait for dvd-rips anyways.
peer gaurdian, blocks lot of useful websites like

ign.com, hp.com, dell.com,gamespy.com why is that???

I just started using it since i got the letter cause i dont want them to be breaking in everytime I on it...

abu_has_the_power
05-06-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Dead Cartoon Fish+3 May 2004 - 20:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dead Cartoon Fish @ 3 May 2004 - 20:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by freak@4 May 2004 - 00:36
<!--QuoteBegin-Dead Cartoon Fish@3 May 2004 - 10:27

I don&#39;t think you really know what your talking about <_<
Do what you want to... :huh: [/b][/quote]
u don&#39;t know wat da fuck ur talking bout. i&#39;ve been using bt since march of 2k3, and i have comcast, and i havn&#39;t been caught. i have bout 3 layers of protection. router, zonealarm, sometimes peerguardian (i don&#39;t use it anymore though). my zonealarm is armed with all those shitheads ips. i use blocklist manager to get all the ips, including the ones that peerguardian alone can&#39;t get. plus i don&#39;t use 6881-6999. and i have a decent router with NAT.

dude, were u using any protection? (not talkin bout condoms)

Dead Cartoon Fish
05-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Sounds very sexy...

I hope that stuff works for you. A relative of mine works for certain ISP and he gets the complaints from the MPAA, it&#39;s part of his job to determain the IP adress that they are concerned about. They have &#39;various&#39; ways to obtain your IP. Some of those programs you mentioned I used to use and I also still use protowall, but after he told me about how it&#39;s really just the &#39;luck&#39; of the draw of whether you will get caught or not I kinda stopped worring about security with BT, but I still use it for other things...

Howerver, I moved recently and am under a new ISP that isn&#39;t apart of the one my relative works at so maybe things are different here, but he made it sound like it was really just luck if you don&#39;t get caught downloading movies especially new vcd releases because that&#39;s what the MPAA is most concerned about right now. There are so many people using BT now it&#39;s really hard to keep up with sending these letters out.

Consider this BS if you want because I know I would if I didn&#39;t here it from the horses mouth which I fortunatly did.

Just trying to help...

freak
05-06-2004, 07:24 AM
I don&#39;t worry to much and sure isp&#39;s get complainents but thats why you don&#39;t go through an isp that&#39;s crap and will just hand over your personal info. you should know your isp if they will try and protect you or not. But for the most part DCF you really have no idea

abu_has_the_power
05-06-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Dead Cartoon Fish@5 May 2004 - 21:00
Sounds very sexy...

I hope that stuff works for you. A relative of mine works for certain ISP and he gets the complaints from the MPAA, it&#39;s part of his job to determain the IP adress that they are concerned about. They have &#39;various&#39; ways to obtain your IP. Some of those programs you mentioned I used to use and I also still use protowall, but after he told me about how it&#39;s really just the &#39;luck&#39; of the draw of whether you will get caught or not I kinda stopped worring about security with BT, but I still use it for other things...

Howerver, I moved recently and am under a new ISP that isn&#39;t apart of the one my relative works at so maybe things are different here, but he made it sound like it was really just luck if you don&#39;t get caught downloading movies especially new vcd releases because that&#39;s what the MPAA is most concerned about right now. There are so many people using BT now it&#39;s really hard to keep up with sending these letters out.

Consider this BS if you want because I know I would if I didn&#39;t here it from the horses mouth which I fortunatly did.

Just trying to help...
ok. exactly how do they find you then? they don&#39;t just draw straws

mooseman2070
05-06-2004, 06:45 PM
ive seen at east 3 ppl get caught for dling the rundown

oh and a tip (not exactly a tip, common sense) but if you must dl off supr, try lookng at the submitter, "anonymous" isnt good, or some nick wiht anti-riaa shit prolly isnt good either,this may not help, but better safe than sorry ;)

BoomBox
05-06-2004, 08:13 PM

I don&#39;t get this part. Protowall/PG don&#39;t work, exspecially for BitTorrent?? How is BitTorrent any different to anything else? Its not gonna effect what IPs are in the blocklist? Are you refering to the ISP activly scanning their users using common BT ports? I agree that it wouldn&#39;t protect you then but I don&#39;t know if this is what you are saying. Not arguing just trying to enlighten myself incase there is something I don&#39;t know.

Also, from when you get caught doin somethin bad, how long is it usually till you get a letter or email? I presume it would have to be reasonably quick so you records are still there? Hopefully I will never find out directly.

Anyone tell me whether I should import the IP list into my ZoneAlarm too? I already have it in Protowall and didn&#39;t think I needed it in ZA as well. In fact I thought that if both had the list they might fight over each other and miss some packets. Any thoughts? And those using blocklist manager, do you include the EDU list?

tracydani
05-06-2004, 08:49 PM
You could always use a proxy service. Look in my sig.

TD

abu_has_the_power
05-06-2004, 09:14 PM
isps scan ur ports to c what progs ur using. basically illegally hacking into ur comp. i block all comcast connections to my pc. my router nat blocks almost everything before they even reach my comp

the mask
05-06-2004, 09:41 PM
i use amongst other protective software a program called &#39;complete anonymous web surfing&#39; which i got from overnet. it uses a proxy server and you can turn it off and on when you want, it also finds the fastest proxy for you, not bad hey&#33;

atiVidia
05-08-2004, 02:30 AM
@the mask: proxies dont help in his case. the signal bounces from the comp to the ISP to the proxy. thus if his ISP is tracing him the proxy doesnt help him

05-08-2004, 03:13 AM
i think i should start usin the ZA firewall also cause my isp is comcast also&#33; i have PG built into azureus and PG itself but i think it need ZA aswell (ill request on ft B)). once i get ZA should i imoprt the PG ranges also or no??

oldjagman
05-08-2004, 03:31 AM
Your ISP doesn&#39;t need to look inside your pc. Unless you are on a direct (unswitched) line they can observe your traffic at any point in that part of the network to which they have access and see what you are doing. It&#39;s called traffic monitoring and all Telecom Cos have done it big time since computers made it easy.

They say its so they know how much capacity to provide so the network can meet the customers demands.

Even if they are not looking at you specifically you are likely to show up if the data uploads and downloads you are incurring are abnormally high.

From that point it is relatively easy for them to check out where your data is going to/coming from and just as easy for them to sample it to see if it&#39;s legal.

Your greatest protection is the size of the P2P comunity. If they went after everybody the queues outside the courtrooms would stretch into the next country.

They want to sample your pc activity so they can sell-on the info to people in the advertising and marketing world.

I&#39;ve been there, I&#39;ve seen it and I&#39;ve even done it.

Big Brother is alive and well and has access to a telephone exchange near you.

tracydani
05-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Read the threads regarding anonx. Your isp cannot see where you get your stuff from or what it is because of encryption and such.

TD

oldjagman
05-08-2004, 11:05 AM
Never heard of decryption.

Get real.

Joakim Agren
05-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by tracydani@6 May 2004 - 21:57
You could always use a proxy service.&nbsp; Look in my sig.

TD
Hej&#33;

You are fooling yourself if you think you are safe from your ISP because you are using a Proxy&#33;. Anonymus Proxys only protect from outside sources such as the RIAA and their likes. From your ISP there is no way of hiding since they are spying on you from the inside&#33;. In Sweden it is against the law for ISP&#39;s to spy so instead they only send out warnings if they receive a charge from a copyright beholder. And turn off the connection if they recieve a second warning&#33;

wipe709
05-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Dead Cartoon Fish@3 May 2004 - 09:35
If you download a screener on kazaa and it was a fake to &#39;trap&#39; you; then technically you haven&#39;t actually downloaded anything illegal surely?

If there was no actual movie downloaded, how could they prosecute?

Sony
05-09-2004, 01:07 AM
soon I&#39;m changing my ISP to SBC and i heard that SBC are the only ISP that has stood up to RIAA and MPAA for not giving costumers info....woo hoo&#33;&#33; for &#036;39,95 i get good speeds 1.5Mb to 3Mb down and 387 up

I&#39;m sold :D

the hell with comcast...they can suck it for all i care&#33;

CPU1
05-09-2004, 01:38 AM
well actually sbc doesnt really care. they just care that ur paying. they kinda know that ur downloading stuff

but its 29.99 for 1.5mb line
and 49.99 for a 3mb line*

note that teh 3mb line is actually a 6mb line so its actullay a damn good deal

the only prob is tha tu have to be >7feet from the rt or co

tracydani
05-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Joakim Agren@8 May 2004 - 13:28
From your ISP there is no way of hiding since they are spying on you from the inside&#33;
Except that from what I have read, you are getting a direct encrypted connection from anonx to you. Your isp cannot see that info, just the amount of info.

And if they are going to the trouble of decrypting my connection then I am a far bigger fish then even I like to think I am. If that is true, then maybe I deserve to be caught.

TD

RauL
05-09-2004, 03:50 PM
PeerGuardian+Firewall+Router+Proxy= RIIAA MPAA 0wned

BoomBox
05-09-2004, 06:23 PM

Get real.

First off, it looked like tracydani just supplying some info, while your response was harsh.

If your not on a total sh1t ISP then encryption would be good. Basically most ISPs don&#39;t actively scan cause they only want to do as little as possible to stay on the side of the law without going nuts. I would have thought privacy laws would cover them looking at your traffic, but I&#39;m pretty sure it would be illegal if they start decrypting random traffic, and destroying their customer base if it gets out.

Lets also not forget that VPNs are largely used by businesses to create a tunnel through the internet to transfer private data. So if an ISP starts decrypting private and confidential data (could be medical data) then they are in the sh1t if it gets out as well, and I&#39;m pretty sure that would be illegal.

Plus, they aren&#39;t going to be able to decrypt at the speed you encrypt so when they finally decrypt it, it may be nothing but standard internet traffic, while your connection has changed encryption keys and they must start all over if they want to try again.

If you are on one of these crap ISPs then if they monitor you, wouldn&#39;t you prefer it was encrypted rather than them looking directly at a Bit Torrent in progress??

IHATEFAKEFILES
05-10-2004, 09:38 AM
How would you encryption your line?

tracydani
05-10-2004, 10:46 AM
If you use the anonx service you get a direct connection between you and anonx. They handle the encryption of data between you and them. All you do is connect, that&#39;s it.

TD

Lyrok
05-13-2004, 12:54 AM
I got the same notice.

Comcast is my I-net provider and it was for the rundown too.

Should I worry? delete the bit torrent Client? start gunnin for Mexico? AHHHH im underaged and scared.

"What you doing in here Kid? you kill someone?"

"No sir, i downloaded some movies.."

AHHH, it&#39;ll be the end of me.

HEEEELP :helpsmile: :frusty:

krome
05-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Lyrok@12 May 2004 - 17:02
I got the same notice.

Comcast is my I-net provider and it was for the rundown too.

Should I worry? delete the bit torrent Client? start gunnin for Mexico? AHHHH im underaged and scared.

"What you doing in here Kid? you kill someone?"

"No sir, i downloaded some movies.."

AHHH, it&#39;ll be the end of me.

HEEEELP :helpsmile: :frusty:
All comcast wants u to do is write them a letter of apology for downloading the copywrite file.... What I did is delete the file and remove the torrent program.. and lay off it for a while and also Please install a firewall like **ZoneAlarm and Peerguarding** What I did...

Also you don&#39;t need to remove your mp3s and appz.... back em up if you want to, they can not spy into your computer to see what you have.. that would be illegal hacking i think... So don&#39;t need to worry all that is was to scare you cause you downloaded there fake 600mb file they planted to get IP&#39;s .... Hundreds of people got that same letter nothing at all to worry..... B)

Lyrok
05-13-2004, 01:48 AM
what type of letter?

so i gotta uninstall the program? the torrent client?

:) feeling a bit better

krome
05-13-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Lyrok@12 May 2004 - 17:56
what type of letter?

Tell you the truth I never did send them a letter saying sorry, so i guess it doesn&#39;t really matter.... Uninstall the client for a while cause I think they still can use this tracker on the program to ***connect to see if you slippin again***, wait about a week or two , make sure also not to download those movies at suprnova again cause they have these people working for DMCA and MPAA uploading these fake files to suprnova to catch your IP.. I found that out...... be safe... :D

erRor67
05-13-2004, 05:36 AM
Dude, dont use PeerGuardian. Use Protowall. Does the exact same thing only 1000x better. http://www.bluetack.co.uk and get the blocklist manager too for getting the bad ips to block. Protowall runs on driver level so the connections are blocked before they even connect and they block more types of ports than PeerGuardian (which only blocks TCP)

And dont uninstall your bittorrent, like they are going to know that you did. Just change the ports it uses.

And for proxies, anoninous proxies only. I dont know how good they are for ISP protection but they block outside people like RIAA. The only problem with using proxies is that your HOSTS file is bypassed, so if you use it to block ads, you will start seeing the ads.

Its best to use a router. Its probably one of the best firewalls since its hardware firewall not software firewall. But its also good to get software firewalls too like Norton, ZA, sygate, ect....

And it would be wize to install anti-adware/spyware programs and anti-virus programs.

Make sure you update all your security sofware often, like firewall, anti-virus, anti spyware/adware, protowall ect...

Dont use Suprnova, or download screeners, or use ComCast.

---Stuff like that---

krome
05-13-2004, 05:56 AM
i tried that program , well actally no i never tried it cause i couldn&#39;t get it installed :(

oldjagman
05-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by BoomBox@9 May 2004 - 19:31

Get real.

First off, it looked like tracydani just supplying some info, while your response was harsh.

If your not on a total sh1t ISP then encryption would be good. Basically most ISPs don&#39;t actively scan cause they only want to do as little as possible to stay on the side of the law without going nuts. I would have thought privacy laws would cover them looking at your traffic, but I&#39;m pretty sure it would be illegal if they start decrypting random traffic, and destroying their customer base if it gets out.

Lets also not forget that VPNs are largely used by businesses to create a tunnel through the internet to transfer private data. So if an ISP starts decrypting private and confidential data (could be medical data) then they are in the sh1t if it gets out as well, and I&#39;m pretty sure that would be illegal.

Plus, they aren&#39;t going to be able to decrypt at the speed you encrypt so when they finally decrypt it, it may be nothing but standard internet traffic, while your connection has changed encryption keys and they must start all over if they want to try again.

If you are on one of these crap ISPs then if they monitor you, wouldn&#39;t you prefer it was encrypted rather than them looking directly at a Bit Torrent in progress??
I worked in Telecoms all my life and, on occasion, quite close to those areas where it intersects the intelligence community as well as in the Marketing field.

Quite frankly, what goes on can only be justified in the interests of national security and a lot of it is certainly sailing very close to the legal wind.

But thats another story - sorry if you found me harsh, that was not my intention.

BoomBox
05-13-2004, 08:03 PM
:ph34r: It&#39;s good to have someone with some inside knowledge in the community :ph34r:
:D

Lyrok
05-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Bit torerent works way too slow through a router.

so whats a good site to get torrents from?

Sony
05-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Lyrok@13 May 2004 - 02:56
what type of letter?

don&#39;t even respond to them dude....by responding to them, you are admitting that you were downloading the movie. I got the same notice twice, but not even ones i responded to them...they haven&#39;t said anything sense&#33;

I wouldn&#39;t be save with Comcast...i&#39;m going to switch to SBC dsl next moth and comcast can kiss my ass...they don&#39;t deserve my business.

erRor67
05-14-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Lyrok@13 May 2004 - 13:24
Bit torerent works way too slow through a router.

so whats a good site to get torrents from?
no, not really, I got a router and I get fast downloads. I just port forward all my ports i need and that was it. As for torrents, I dont really know. http://www.torents.co.uk (with the word torrents spelled correctly, its not letting me put the link in since it contains the work torrent in it) is good for tv shows.

erRor67
05-14-2004, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by krome@12 May 2004 - 22:04
i tried that program , well actally no i never tried it cause i couldn&#39;t get it installed :(
what program?

Lyrok
05-14-2004, 09:51 PM
thanks.

so what is the purpose of this notice.

comcast is bassically the only broad band provider in my area...so im screwed.

abu_has_the_power
05-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Lyrok@14 May 2004 - 16:59
thanks.

so what is the purpose of this notice.

comcast is bassically the only broad band provider in my area...so im screwed.
look dude. comcast if fine. i&#39;ve been dling and uplding for over 2 years now, starting with kazaa, and now with bt and stuff, and comcast never caught me. know y? i&#39;m know my protection (not condoms). get a router. free the necessary ports. get a good firewall like zonealarm or sygate, and import all the ports by getting from The Blocklist Manager from bluetack.co.uk. that&#39;s bout it. i havn&#39;t used peerguardian for a long time. my router and my firewall is more than sufficient. one thing u can do is to call comcast each time ur firewall blocks a connection from them and tell them that u don&#39;t want them to hack into ur comp, or else u&#39;ll cancel ur account. they&#39;ll do anything when u say that. (tip: might not always work)

Keikan
05-15-2004, 08:38 AM
shit I just used downloaded a torrent from suprnova and i&#39;m using shaw, fraiser finale by LOL. I hope I don&#39;t get caught...

Lyrok
05-16-2004, 12:04 AM
How would i go about releasing the neccesary ports from my router?

cause i got one of those.

zonealarm. and another firewall i bought a while a go...

oldjagman
05-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Can&#39;t be bothered reading entire string so apologies if this has already been covered.

I read recently that Comcast is threatening some high-bandwidth users with disconnection.

The users in question are all heavy P2P users.

Comcast claim it is to stop their system from getting congested by a minority of customers. They also claim they are not applying a download limit to their customers.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

BoomBox
05-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Comcast is threatening some high-bandwidth users with disconnection.

They also claim they are not applying a download limit to their customers.

:blink:

oldjagman
05-18-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by BoomBox@18 May 2004 - 18:22

Comcast is threatening some high-bandwidth users with disconnection.

They also claim they are not applying a download limit to their customers.

:blink:
Yup&#33;&#33; It&#39;s real corporate/political double talk. You know, like these pictures are indicative of the truth - even if they&#39;re not real&#33;&#33;&#33;

Cool_Guy
06-15-2004, 10:34 PM
I don&#39;t think you can get cought if you live in any other countries beside the states... :unsure:

tracydani
06-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Might want to re-think that one.

TD

ricochet
06-17-2004, 05:25 AM
I have comcast and I also talked to a dude that works for them and he said that in canada it is legal to download music. That went to court. he also said you dont have to worry about the bandwidth your using if you dont get a complaint letter first.
I also use protowall and BLM when downloading anything other than porn. I been downloading for years with comcast and have had no problems or letters.

I think that the only way to tell what your downloading is from the torrent link...

Correct ???

yyiryyib
06-17-2004, 01:13 PM
they cant get u for tv episodes&#33; cos they are free on tv, its just like videoing them

RealitY
06-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Well I can only say if your American and dl a new movie release off SuperNova then you must not care because its the highest profile place to get a letter now I imagine. Also routers will not hide your IP, nor will a fw, nor will PG or Portwall or the like, although if those who are on the torrent looking for you are in your list of blocked ranges with any of those apps or through your fw ranges then you may be hidden by having blocked the connection, but they are using new ranges all the time, after all they know about those apps as well...

UcanRock2
06-20-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Monkeee@2 May 2004 - 17:00
here&#39;s another advice.... dont use comcast to download movies..... most of COMCAST customers had been caught download movies and pirated shit.
Comcast is pirated in itself.

typingsux
06-21-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by yyiryyib@17 June 2004 - 13:21
they cant get u for tv episodes&#33; cos they are free on tv, its just like videoing them
Misinformation since people have received letters for TV shows.

Peerguardian sucks, maybe I&#39;ll try protowall again. Has it improved or is there still a sloppy install?

typingsux
06-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Sony+13 May 2004 - 21:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sony @ 13 May 2004 - 21:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Lyrok@13 May 2004 - 02:56
what type of letter?

don&#39;t even respond to them dude....by responding to them, you are admitting that you were downloading the movie. I got the same notice twice, but not even ones i responded to them...they haven&#39;t said anything sense&#33;

I wouldn&#39;t be save with Comcast...i&#39;m going to switch to SBC dsl next moth and comcast can kiss my ass...they don&#39;t deserve my business. [/b][/quote]
I agree with this.

Depending on the logging at the ISP you most likely cannot be brought up on charges.

Even if it is logged you may have received a backdoor trojan and someone else was downloading stuff.

;)