PDA

View Full Version : Port 6881 Is Blacklisted

gungrave
05-04-2004, 09:53 PM
i had nerly downloaded kill bill 2 and i had to reinstall windows and i reinstalled BT and i change the ports to what i had be4 6881-6889 and its still not connect iv tryed using torrentstorm but that doesnt work eather
how can i fix this :helpsmile: :helpsmile:

riceboi
05-04-2004, 10:12 PM
im assuming ur using torrentbits.org

copied and pasted from "torrentbits"

We have modified the tracker to treat anyone connecting with certain ports (see below) as if they are unconnectable. This is because many ISPs (including mine, which I learned earlier today) throttles the speed on these ports.

The following commonly throttled ports are now blocked by the tracker...

411 through 413 - Direct Connect
1214 - Kazaa
4662 - eMule/eDonkey
6346 through 6347 - Gnutella
6699 - WinMX
6881 through 6889 - BitTorrent

Please make sure not to choose port(s) in these ranges!.

If you do, the tracker will consider you "unconnectable" and your download speed will suffer.
BTW, if anyone knows other ports of interest, please PM Redbeard.

A "Mini-FAQ" (stolen from a post written by wyz):

How large should my range be?

It depends... If you use a single-port client (like Azureus) your range should consist of a single port. Pick up any from 49152-65535.

If you use a multi-port client (like original, Shad0ws's, ABC, Burst, Experimental, UPnP, ...) think of the maximum number of torrents you will ever have open at the same time. That's how many ports you need. If you want at most 6 simultaneous torrents, choose any number x in 49152-65535 and use the range x to x + 5. (e.g. 50500 to 50505. Pick your own numbers, do not use these.)

Will I be able to connect to peers that are still using the standard ports?

Yes.

Will my client still work with other trackers?

Yes.

Why don't you tell us what ports to choose?

Because the more random the choice is the harder it will be for ISPs to catch up to us and start limiting speeds on the ports we use. If we define another range ISPs will just start throtlling that range.

How do I change the ports in my client?

Most of them have an advanced option that allows you to specify the range. Those of you running the original client may want to look at http://dessent.net/btfaq/#wincmdline and http://dessent.net/btfaq/cmdline.shtml (There are also good posts on this above.)

I changed the ports and now my speed is lower!?

Give the torrent some time, and make sure you also changed your router and/or firewall configuration (if you have them). If the problems persists, try some other range.

Last, a section copied from the FAQ

You must start by configuring your client to use any port range other than those listed above. (Any other range in the ephemeral region, i.e. 1024 through 65535, will do, but the region 49152 through 65535 is preferable). Notice that some clients, like Azureus, use a single port for all torrents, others use one port per open torrent. The size of the range you choose should take this into account. (These ports are used for connections between peers, not client-tracker. This change will not interfere with your ability to use other trackers. If your client does not allow custom ports to be used, change to one that does.)

gungrave
05-05-2004, 10:11 AM
6881 through 6889 - BitTorrent
iv tryed that still it dont work :angry:

ilw
05-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Did you read any of that post? it tells you NOT to use 6881 - 6889, pick something random like 15000 - 15020. bittorrent will work fine no matter what ports you choose, (though some of the first few thousand ports are reserved for other things)

bilko
05-05-2004, 10:35 AM
bottom line, the sites got nothing new to offer anyways so i'd forget it

right then, onto a sensible site.........

gungrave
05-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by ilw@5 May 2004 - 10:25
Did you read any of that post? it tells you NOT to use 6881 - 6889, pick something random like 15000 - 15020. bittorrent will work fine no matter what ports you choose, (though some of the first few thousand ports are reserved for other things)
:) works 4 hours left :)

Mad Cat
05-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Stupid twat. He only did that because his ISP screwed for 6881 for him. I understand trying to make all users make a change, but the dick blocked them.

abu_has_the_power
05-06-2004, 01:22 AM
also, since the evil legal fuckheads are hunting us down, it's easier to not use ports that everyone else uses, cuz they'll be monitoring them. i've been using another set of ports ever since i started using bt

mooseman2070
05-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by bilko@5 May 2004 - 06:43
bottom line, the sites got nothing new to offer anyways so i'd forget it

right then, onto a sensible site.........
OMFG

are yous serious dude? wtf are you on man? TB is one of the best BT 0-day sites, they always ahve everything new snd everything fast

maybe its becasue you doint like the ratio system, i dont, but im trying to be able to ul 10gigs, i know its hard but it gives you full access to the best 0-day site on the net :D

bilko
05-07-2004, 10:30 AM
there are so may sites and forums out there that allow you to download the stuff they have,

forget it