PDA

View Full Version : Why You Should Not Be A P2p Leach

thomas533
03-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Why you should not be a P2P Leach.

Leaches are for the most part, people who do not understand the nature of computer networks. They feel that by allowing people to download off of their computer than they are at risk of using all of their bandwidth. This is not the case.

Today’s broadband systems, cable and DSL networks, both utilize what is called a full-duplex network. What that means is that there are two separate lines of communication; one for upstream and one for downstream. When the upstream connection is saturated with data, the downstream connection is almost completely unaffected (less than 3% usage) and vice versa. To put it in simpler terms, even if you have 4 people downloading files at over 10 kb/s, you can still surf the web, do email, and download off of other sites at full speed.

A typical cable internet connection is up to 1.5 Mb/s download and 128 kb/s upload. You may be using your full download bandwidth, but you are not using any of your upload bandwidth. You are paying for the service, but leaches don’t use any of it because they are misinformed. When you encounter a leach, try to help them understand this. People who are still using modems (broadband isn’t available in all areas), are the only ones left that have to deal with half duplex communications.

DON’T BE A LEACH, LET PEOPLE DOWNLOAD!!!

itay
03-15-2003, 07:13 PM
ther's alot of stuff i didn't knew.......

thanks for posting it ;)

TJX
03-15-2003, 07:17 PM
I never noticed any decrease in d/l speed in kazaa when I'm uploading alot....but in Direct Connect my download speed drops as a rock.....its weird

Genius
03-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Decent post :D
Hopefully some leaches will see it :blink:

Chilly
03-15-2003, 07:30 PM
How are you gonna get this through to the 40% :unsure:

Actual Test Quote RN ;)

I used data from 169 different users that connected to me when I was a supernode:

28% (47) shared nothing
38% (64) shared less than 10 files
66% (112) shared less than 100 files
96% (162) shared less than 1000 files

So 40% of all FastTrack users are leechers. No surprise, really. :(

Shinigami_[R.I.P.]
03-15-2003, 07:32 PM
nice post but I doubt leeches would care for this.
And RN sort of figured out that nearly half of the Fasttrack network doesn't share but still, the files get through.

although leeches are big, they aren't that powerful.

kAb
03-15-2003, 08:17 PM
when i first got napster a long time ago, i leeched :">

i thought that if i shared, hackers could crack into my computer and fuck it up.
then a couple months after that i saw the light and changed my ways.
but then Napster died and i moved on to kazaa and then to k-lite

lunatacs
03-15-2003, 08:39 PM

what kind of light was it? :rolleyes:

I don't agree with leeching. it pisses me off when people upload from me but yet they don't share...

Starchild
03-15-2003, 08:45 PM
My 2 ören (Swedish currency, 100 öre = 1 Krona (or Crown if you wish to translate))

Good post!
This was actually the reason I didn't share in the beginning, or I had strict upload limits...
I started to share, when I realised upload wasn't affecting download. So used to modems...

ADSL ~60kb/s full duplex, sharing 500+ files....:D

/Starchild

kAb
03-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by lunatacs@15 March 2003 - 12:39

what kind of light was it? :rolleyes:

I don't agree with leeching. it pisses me off when people upload from me but yet they don't share...
I learned that somebody cant hack you just because you’re sharing

lunatacs
03-15-2003, 08:54 PM
I learned that somebody cant hack you just because you’re sharing

as long as you have three things: trojan remover, antivirus and a firewall...your safe.

worset they can do is upload you a virus/troajn...or just download off you without you knowing...thats another backdoor/trojan. so having those three and updating them daily your pretty much safe. for now. :rolleyes:

merlin-1
03-15-2003, 09:34 PM
I have always shared ever since the days of napster and never had a problem.*knocks on wood*At present i'm stuck with 56k but i still share and deal with slow net surfing.I have a good Antivirus program and Adaware and i'm will be getting a firewall program soon,BTW any recomendations on a good Firewall program? :)

kAb
03-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by merlin-1@15 March 2003 - 13:34
*knocks on wood*
could you just verify something for me?

Do people say "knock on wood" for like good luck so you don't jinx yourself?

firewall: i just use the XP one, i&#39;m sure its not very good.. <_<

Genius
03-15-2003, 09:53 PM
When you say knock on wood you are saying I hope what I just sayed doesn&#39;t come true, so it is to stop you from jynxing yourself basically. :)

kAb
03-15-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Genius@15 March 2003 - 13:53
When you say knock on wood you are saying I hope what I just sayed doesn&#39;t come true, so it is to stop you from jynxing yourself basically. :)
ok thank you :)

been wondering about it for awhile now

Icey
03-15-2003, 10:03 PM
i always thought it was "Touch Wood" ;)

Genius
03-15-2003, 10:05 PM
It is, was never any good at English :D

The Knife Thrower
03-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by kAb+15 March 2003 - 21:50--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kAb @ 15 March 2003 - 21:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--merlin-1@15 March 2003 - 13:34
*knocks on wood*
could you just verify something for me?

Do people say "knock on wood" for like good luck so you don&#39;t jinx yourself?

firewall: i just use the XP one, i&#39;m sure its not very good.. <_< [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s a very good firewall but doesn&#39;t catch attempts to contact microsoft and send them your data.

J'Pol
03-15-2003, 10:48 PM
Excellent post. Good points well presented. Thanks for that.

Has confirmed what I believed to be the case. Always good to have it confirmed so well.

Incidentally the UK phrase is Touch Wood, I believe Knock on Wood is the US version.

http://www.quinion.com/words/qa/qa-tou1.htm

is a fairly good explanation.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Mr.Joshua
03-15-2003, 11:28 PM
I only let one person upload at the time, so that person get my full "attention"

Is that not the best way to do it, cos i&#39;m kind of wondering about that?

J'Pol
03-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Joshua@16 March 2003 - 00:28
I only let one person upload at the time, so that person get my full "attention"

Is that not the best way to do it, cos i&#39;m kind of wondering about that?
What if their download cannot match your upload. e.g if they are on 56k modem. Then your upload availability is under utilised.

lunatacs
03-16-2003, 12:06 AM
firewall: i just use the XP one, i&#39;m sure its not very good..

omg, please change to sygate or outpost xp firewall....isn&#39;t good.

N£MO
03-16-2003, 12:12 AM
Nice, well presented post and welcome to the forum ;)

Chilly
03-16-2003, 02:31 AM
At the end of the day it’s your choice on what you do isn’t it?

Like I have said time and time again, you can sit there all night checking everyone that downloads of you to see if they are sharing, which to me is just a waste of quality time on the net.
Or you can do what 40% of all the others do and that is to go against what the P2P network is all about.
Actual Test Quote RN

I used data from 169 different users that connected to me when I was a supernode:

28% (47) shared nothing
38% (64) shared less than 10 files
66% (112) shared less than 100 files
96% (162) shared less than 1000 files

So 40% of all Fast Track users are leechers. No surprise, really.
And that is coming from the developer of the program.

Like you say some of them don’t have any files to share, yes some are genuine.
Well that’s how it seems to you, they could have just had got there films and other files and put them to another directory that’s not being shared.
My question to that is, if you were new to this program would you go straight in at the deep end and download that latest screener of a film?, no you wouldn’t.
Once you have install the program are you telling me there is nothing on your hole hard drive that you cant share not even pictures or program or any other kind of media or clip, that you have had of previous P2P programs etc, I find that hard to believe.

Then there are the people that think if I share my folder, does this mean people can hack into my pc? Understandable I thought it when I first started out, this could possibly be another reason why people don’t share.

Another reason why people might not share is because of this talk about the RIAA or what ever it’s called, sending bills to people or getting cut of by there ISP’s for ripped of software and copyrighted music and films. Is it true or is it lies I don’t know?
Here is a quote: I got an email the other day, saying that I was infringing copyright laws, and that I was going to get the crap sue-ed out of me&#33;&#33;&#33; They caught me with Lord of the Rings the 2 towers&#33;&#33;&#33; I downloaded a firewall&#33; Will this help??? What do I do? And keep in mind that I don’t wanna delete my kazaa lite&#33;&#33;&#33; PLEASE HELP&#33;&#33;&#33;
People read things like that what are they going to do?

The biggest problem is the program for having such a stupid option to disable sharing, when the whole idea of the P2P network is to share, so why is it there?

So you decide&#33; ;)

dingoBaby
03-16-2003, 04:51 AM
60% of more than 4 million people on the network are sharing...thats alot of people. Just one way of looking at things.

Fatal Error
03-16-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Chilly@15 March 2003 - 21:31
At the end of the day it’s your choice on what you do isn’t it?

40% of all Fast Track users are leechers. No surprise, really.

The biggest problem is the program for having such a stupid option to disable sharing, when the whole idea of the P2P network is to share, so why is it there?

So you decide&#33; ;)
Nice post.. and I have to agree with you. Alot of people are under mis-conceptions, many of them deliberately instilled in them by people looking to serve their own interests.."you&#39;ll get caught".. "you&#39;ll get sued".."you&#39;ll get hacked".. "you&#39;ll lose your internet service" etc,etc.. We all take risks, if nobody did, we wouldnt be having this conversation.. because p2p programs such as this,couldnt exist,because nobody would share..nothing to download. I choose to share..thats a risk I take.

There are always going to be those that will abuse an option that was developed for the benefit of the many. I only used the "disable filesharing"option once, when I was new to the program and accidently "shared" the entire contents of my hard-drive &#33; (I was glad that option was there&#33;) Who would of ever thought that the "find more files from this user" option would be used to copy media file lists and send them to your ISP as "evidence" &#33; That really caused me a dilemma, being a broadband user..now I dont know what to download next &#33;

At the end of the day..only you know why you made the choices you made,but consider this, very little if anything can be done to you for sharing your files. Your ISP has to respond if something is brought to their attention,but for the most part, they wont look for it, because filesharing generates a huge portion of their revenue. Somehow, I dont think my ISP would be willing to lose my account (&#036;1100+/Yr) because "Purple Porkupine" didnt get his.002 cent commission on the song I uploaded.

Sure I take a risk.. but I also use ALL of the precautions available to me, if I get caught.."they earned it" Still not much they can do to me. :D :D

Jibbler
03-16-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by lunatacs@15 March 2003 - 19:06

firewall: i just use the XP one, i&#39;m sure its not very good..

omg, please change to sygate or outpost xp firewall....isn&#39;t good.
The winxp firewall is excellent, I swear by it. Quick to enable, doesn&#39;t require any resources like sygate or zone alarm, and it is integrated into the operating system. Most users know very little about TCP/IP or port settings, and wouldn&#39;t know how to configure a firewall anyway. Microsoft does it all for ya. All you micro&#036;oft haters out there will eventually give in to big Bill.--

Jibbler

ryanraab
03-16-2003, 05:10 AM
I share 18.2 gb worth of stuff mostly episodes/movies/games and some music. I only have cable non full-duplex but when I&#39;m download lots of files my downloaders have 100 kb of download speed. So I&#39;m helping out. I don&#39;t get why people don&#39;t share. I can&#39;t wait until I reach the 50 gb mark of stuff I&#39;m sharing. Plz join in. If you don&#39;t share then people will not be able to get what they want and think k-lite sucks and go get a different p2p program. Which means you lose out leachers? Also don&#39;t let it be a reason that your sharing because it&#39;s fake files that you are sharing because I will haunt you down and fucken blow your dumb witted brains out.

sArA
03-16-2003, 05:53 AM
I started sharing straight away, and on my crappy 56k modem, immediately downloaded (well over 3 days) a film......I guess its just a case of being brave and considering that most users are pretty ok people....saying that I have Norton AV and sygate firewall......just to be on the safe side. It never occurred to me not to share. I thought it was fun to be able to share my cool game roms in exchange for some episodes of Lexx and some mp3s...

I do find however, that some people cut me off even though I share over 250 files....must be cos I am a slow 56ker......believe me...if I could afford it I would be on dsl or similar...but well.......not at this time.....

So all you broadband guys....spare a thought for 56kers....we are slow but keen, and just want to join in the fun...we have the frustration of days of downloading for bigger files...if we have the patience...you can cut us some slack....thanks....

ryanraab
03-16-2003, 06:01 AM
Don&#39;t worry If you ever download from me and you have a real bad connection that is only giving you 0.5 or my cable slows down like usual dam thing. I&#39;ll not cancel you. I use to have a 56k but before when I had it the only thing I use it for was to search news on the web and chat on furoms. So I did not experience what you poeple went through and I probably would not have the patience and frie my computer. I really need broadband how much does it usually cost.

sArA
03-16-2003, 06:15 AM
@ryanraab Thanks.....thats good to know.....I dont even cut people off when they are eating my bandwidth with their fast uploads which slow my downloads...share and share alike I say....

As far as I know, in the US broadband is around &#036;30 per month...and I prefer to eat as first priority&#33; lol.

Dont know about UK, think its about the same in UKpounds....going back home to the UK in August and will find out...if I get a good job (ha ha ha) I will go for it. I will then also buy a new HD and share more stuff.

I am lucky to have a very fast connection at work with no restrictions on use so I have recently started using it for larger files...funny tho, got a really insulting dick cut me off and sent me a message telling me to f*&^& off on my first download&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; I sent a message back telling him/her that I share plenty at home, but more insults followed&#33; Still, now I have around 5gig sharing on work comp I have had no other probs..... The point I am making is that sometimes people will share once they have stuff to share.....I shared from first dl at work.....perhaps I was unlucky that my first dl at work was from someone with a problem.

jagedlion
03-16-2003, 05:32 PM
I&#39;m paying around &#036;40 here on the east coast, what service charges only &#036;30? Excluding the &#036;20 for the first three month deals.

TIDE-HSV
03-16-2003, 06:13 PM
About &#036;44 here in the southeast, with Comcast. It was &#036;40 at first, but they raised it. And they have cable competition here, but they charge just about the same. You can get a little cheaper with Knology, by bundling internet, cable and phone. However, everyone I&#39;ve talked to who has them is unhappy with the phone service.

dem_ente0
03-17-2003, 07:31 PM
BECAUSE IS LAME &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

let other people download.... :ph34r:

MK-Ultra
03-18-2003, 01:38 AM
*first post - deep breath*

As there is a new patch out that stops other peeps from listing your shared files, won&#39;t more people get accused of leaching?

TIDE-HSV
03-18-2003, 02:38 AM
I feel that I&#39;ve been cut off from speedy connections because of the privacy patch.

indyskyz
03-18-2003, 04:57 PM
i use norton personal firewall and got ad-aware pro 6.0 and i trojan remover also use XP firewall (it stops me from sharing files throu MSN Messenger so i guess it should ad another line of defence against hackers) ?? any one know if the XP Firewall can actuly stop Messenger hacks?

MadDogJuro
03-22-2003, 04:39 PM
I share 850 files (some music,couple of movies,programs and so),and i use kazaalite 2.1.0 and i have removed my IP form downloaded files as kazaalite user can if you want visrtually hide your tracks as some people must because of their country laws.My participation level is always k-lite master,so perhaps some people kick me off but i dont care.Better this than getting an email from a law office threatening you with a law suit for sharing :lol: THEIR :lol: movies.
I have a pathetic cable connection (max 350kbs/64kbs) runs in full duplex so thats the best i can do till i swich to ADSL or HDSL.Unfortunetly my Terayon cable modem dies at least 5 times a day or my ISP is F_____G me with his Switcher and disconnects me when i dl too much.
ANYWAY LEACHING IS BAD FOR YOU AND BAD FOR ME,AND PEOPLE GET RID OF THAT KAZAA MDEIA DESKTOP,at least 2 milion LOOSERS are still using it and making money for advertisers that didnt contribute S___T to the P2P community.

metalrebelzz
03-22-2003, 06:05 PM
always share, keep downloading&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

I&#39;m sharing 6 gigs of stuff right now,
1157 files....

anyways, if u have it, SHARE IT&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

if u don&#39;t, then try to share as much as possible.....

LEECHERS SUCK&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; DON"T BE ONE&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

lunatacs
03-22-2003, 11:34 PM
i wish we had our own filesharing community, since we "all" share, the files we post here on gamesworld, moviesworld, ect...we would get them faster from each other rather then waiting for a long period of time.

J'Pol
03-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by lunatacs@23 March 2003 - 00:34
i wish we had our own filesharing community, since we "all" share, the files we post here on gamesworld, moviesworld, ect...we would get them faster from each other rather then waiting for a long period of time.
I know this is old hat, but we are seriously sorted for music.

You won&#39;t believe it till you try it.