PDA

View Full Version : Aren't You Guys Affraid To Get Caught

boeger
03-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Aren't you guys scared to get caught by the cops in your country ? Especially with P2P it's easy for law-enforcers to check out what you have and bail ur ass , tell me how you feel about this :rolleyes:

The Great Dude
03-16-2003, 12:24 AM
What's up with all these questions today? It's your choice and it depends on people. Some people take advantage of this and try to use scare-tatics to get people worried.

Chilly
03-16-2003, 12:36 AM
If you dont download anything bad then you dont have to worry do ya :unsure:

Anyone no how to Format your C: drive? :lol:

Jibbler
03-16-2003, 12:39 AM
Unless you are profiting from the files that you download, I doubt if anyone will ever question you. P2P has gotten so big over the last few years that it's nearly out of control.--

Jibbler

The Great Dude
03-16-2003, 12:42 AM
Formating, doesn't delete all the memory. ;)

ShareDaddy
03-16-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Chilly@15 March 2003 - 19:36
If you dont download anything bad then you dont have to worry do ya :unsure:

Anyone no how to Format your C: drive? :lol:
6 or 7 concurrent times is the current government standard required for positive deletion and negative recall.

And in response to the leading question here, if your easily scared then I do not think you even connect to the internet. I mean what are they going to do to a single person? Maybe groups or lame but's who try and get rich, sharing is still to acceptable to main stream masses, nothing to worry about for a long time in my estimation. They will always focus on the programs and not on the individual people, p2p should be around forever.

MagicNakor
03-16-2003, 12:49 AM
And there are files that are more "high-profile" which makes you more likely to get caught. If you don't download those, I doubt law enforcement will do anything, because 10:1 they download music too. :D

:ninja:

Chilly
03-16-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by ShareDaddy@16 March 2003 - 00:43
6 or 7 concurrent times is the current government standard required for positive deletion and negative recall.

I have no idea what that all meant then SD but it sounded good :lol: :unsure:

Like you say there is no way they could ever keep on top of it, its just to BIG.

Like now there is nearly 4,500,000 users on line just on KL, thats not including all the others P2P programs.

merlin-1
03-16-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@15 March 2003 - 19:49
I doubt law enforcement will do anything, because 10:1 they download music too. :D

I know several that do! ;)

As for the question of being scared of getting caught! NO i'm not!

UKMan
03-16-2003, 02:56 AM
How many damn threads are there on this subject ? :angry:

Chilly
03-16-2003, 03:02 AM
You beet me to it, its so annoying hearing the same old things over and over again.

If your worried about it then dont use the program, there is like 15 million people that use KaZaA K-Lite, so i

dont think you have alot to worry about. <_<

And thats of course if all this BS is true, have you seen any of these letters no, will anyone who claims to

have been caught post one no. :unsure:

So chill out ;)

GIKstar
03-16-2003, 03:56 AM
CHILLY...
I guess you missed my original post, &#39;cause I posted my letter&#33; This shit happens whether you want to believe it or not. :angry: Now, I you don&#39;t want to believe me, you can get a letter yourself by sending me your IP address and I can pass it on for you&#33; :)

Just so happens, three days after the email was sent, I received a phone call from my ISP - the same guy who wrote the email to me, &#39;cause I hadn&#39;t responded to the email.

Yes, some people need to be concerned about this and maybe protect themselves from prying eyes. I would suggest that anyone who gets a letter should respond to it in a timely manner.

By the way - recent news reports that people are driving around with laptops in their car and stealing bandwidth, looking for those with "wireless networks". So, not everyone who gets a letter is distributing copyrighted material.

lunatacs
03-16-2003, 04:05 AM
Aren&#39;t you guys scared to get caught by the cops in your country ? Especially with P2P it&#39;s easy for law-enforcers to check out what you have and bail ur ass , tell me how you feel about this

who you work for? RIAA? first day on the under cover? <_< :blink: ;)

ugluk
03-16-2003, 04:44 AM
Aren&#39;t you guys scared to get caught by the cops in your country ? Especially with P2P it&#39;s easy for law-enforcers to check out what you have and bail ur ass , tell me how you feel about this

well... i dont know what to say... except:

FUCK YOU TOO&#33;&#33; :pirate:

Nobody1234
03-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Not this again. :angry: Hey, isn&#39;t there a way we could reduce these type of topics?

sArA
03-16-2003, 06:29 AM
Lets face it....people will always be paranoid...If you are a single user...the chances of getting shit from p2p is very slim...the authorities only want the big boys and the pervs.

If you are worried...dont do it...otherwise keep it on&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

As for the many threads on the topic...each new person (and yes I am a newbie) needs to air their own thoughts on the topic....reading old threads is not the same as people putting their thoughts down in real time and allaying old fears. I have no probs with repetitive threads...as new people join it is inevitable...otherwise...no one can catch up with where the forum is now. And lets face it...who can spare the time to go through every archive&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

The Knife Thrower
03-16-2003, 07:47 AM
If you&#39;re worried about sharing then get the privacy patch.

Genius
03-16-2003, 08:44 AM
If any one would be worried about getting caught would it really be the people at the k-lite forum. :D

boeger
03-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Well OK so you guys don&#39;t give a shit about the cops :D

Hey, isn&#39;t there a way we could reduce these type of topics?

Easy m8 , make a rule about it ;)

Switeck
03-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Get PEER GUARDIAN or a firewall with blocking by ip range, and block out a large majority of KNOWN net cops.

They&#39;re just wasting bandwidth anyway. :lol:

-=M3th0d=-
03-16-2003, 11:20 PM
End of the day...they cant really do that much apart from ask you to stop it or tell your isp to kick you <_< easily solved by phoning up your isp and saying you dont have any illegal material. This is all they want to hear - they dont want to change isp&#39;s really.

vivitron 15
03-17-2003, 09:52 AM
oh and by the way...in the subject you refer to "downloaders" I call em "leeching scumbags"

gumbydancin
03-17-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by MagicNakor@15 March 2003 - 19:49
And there are files that are more "high-profile" which makes you more likely to get caught. If you don&#39;t download those, I doubt law enforcement will do anything, because 10:1 they download music too. :D

I&#39;m no expert handicapper but seems more like 4:3 to me. :D ;)

daveyjones
03-17-2003, 06:23 PM
arrest us for what ? i don&#39;t thnink i have any copyrighted files on my computer and if i did how in the world would i know? there is so much information these days its not up to ME to make sure everything i download isnt copyrighted . proable denial .

MagicNakor
03-18-2003, 01:35 AM
Well, maybe 2:1, even. ;) But 10:1 just sounds better. You&#39;ll win more. :D

oldmancan
03-18-2003, 09:02 PM
<_< Sharing is good, rule one. What worry? Cost vs Benefit; business nor government, neither has the resources to chase every file.

Well covered topic, some good threads here.

Sara5564 - well said.

Genius - inspiring.

Can&#39;t remember - What info cops?

Cheers, OMC

Acecool
03-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Actuatly the cops were at my place for other reasons :-/ and um well I had tons of wares on screen at the time and a game that is illegal here (soldier of fortune 2 (WITHOUT ROBOTS) (full gore))

They didnt do anything about that heh

UKMan
03-18-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Acecool@19 March 2003 - 00:25
Actuatly the cops were at my place for other reasons :-/ and um well I had tons of wares on screen at the time and a game that is illegal here (soldier of fortune 2 (WITHOUT ROBOTS) (full gore))

They didnt do anything about that heh
i wonder what that might have been for ;)

Switeck
03-19-2003, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by oldmancan@18 March 2003 - 16:02
Can&#39;t remember - What info cops?

Cheers, OMC
The &#39;info cops&#39;/&#39;online cops&#39; are companies DEDICATED to tracking down and catching people sharing copyrighted files on p2p networks.

Trouble is, they often have HUGE amounts of bandwidth dedicated to the task (like 100Mbps or more) and automated programs to do the catching and tracking of... US&#33;

Now the good news -- because their bandwidth is from commercial lines that they have liscenced... their ip addresses are almost always fixed in very narrow ranges. They may change their LAST number of the w.x.y.z ip address (the z number) but by blocking the whole range of w.x.y.0 to w.x.y.255 -- they&#39;re effectively locked out of connecting to your computer.

If you BLOCK those ranges (using PEER GUARDIAN), you reduce your risk considerably.

However, if Kazaa searches go THROUGH supernodes and the results passed back to the searcher (this is most likely) then they may still find you sharing single files -- they just won&#39;t be able to list EVERYTHING you&#39;re sharing. And they WON&#39;T be able to confirm you&#39;re actually sharing those files because they cannot make a direct connection to you...

lunatacs
03-19-2003, 01:52 AM
these topics are pointless and only a way to spread fear onto the users of this forum. Plus, these topics only start by newbies and unREGISTERed people, something to think about. <_< ;)

the-ninja69
03-19-2003, 02:24 AM
I am not afraid there is so many damn p2p programs. There is so many people sharing it would be hard to go after individual usera. Very time consuming and would cost a lot of money. You shouldnt worry.

Be Happy :) :) :D :D :P :P

metalrebelzz
03-19-2003, 10:20 PM
safety in numbers, as long as there is filesharers around, they can never completely shut us down.... :D

cheers

Lanky
03-21-2003, 08:56 AM
I don&#39;t think the police would arrest us for P2P. Plus we use Kazaa-lite, it is more private & no lame pop ups. Also i think it would just be a waste of cell space. I think now the police is considering more of murderers, drug dealers & robbers. Civilians with a file sharing program isn&#39;t exatcly a high priority for the police.

UKMan
03-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by lunatacs@19 March 2003 - 02:52
these topics are pointless and only a way to spread fear onto the users of this forum. Plus, these topics only start by newbies and unREGISTERed people, something to think about.&nbsp; <_<&nbsp; ;)
I agree that these topics can be a bit tedious at times, because there are so many of them all about the same thing these days and it would be nice if the people who started them would look around before starting a new one.
But, having said that, maybe one of the reasons that its newbies and unregistered people starting these topics is just because, unlike you and me and other "oldies" - they havnt been around long enough to know any better. Thats also a thought.
There are also of course, as is suggested by your post, others who are just out to create scare tactics - not that i am suggesting this one is&#33;

I have also come to the conclusion that its not as easy as we might imagine for guests/newbies and unregistered users to follow rules and conventions that are so obvious to us who have been around a while.

Anyway, this is my last post on this thread hopefully as it has been thoroughly answered by oldies and newbies alike and there is now a risk that it will start getting out of hand and turn into a "slanging match" - and we dont want that again do we ?

Peace
UKMan

omnix32
03-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Don&#39;t get paranoid and run a firewall. The chance of getting in trouble is very slim to none. You got more chances of getting in a car crash.