PDA

View Full Version : Problems With Filesharing And My Isp

nhpsurfkid
05-11-2004, 06:46 PM
yesterday i had my broadband connection suspended by cox communications and when i called they told me it was because i was using kazaa or some other kind of illegal filesharing program. i did not have my firewall on all day and once i talked to them they recconected it and told me if this happened 2 more times my account would be cancelled. now im reading my firewall logs and every 2-4 seconds my port 1107 is being scanned by a variety of different dns servers most of which contain something involving cable or cox. i guess this is how they check to see if im using a filesharing program, this is the only port they have tried to look at. if i change the port kazaa uses and keep my firewall on, then i should be alright, correct? if they start scanning other ports then i guess i will have to change it again, but for the last 24 hours they have been scanning 1107. any suggestions on what to do would help a ton.

2nd gen noob
05-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Stop filesharing? :unsure:

Seriously though, change ISP if you can. Show them that if they don't want your money, then can't have it

Filliz
05-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by nhpsurfkid@11 May 2004 - 19:54
if this happened2 more times my account would be cancelled.
Just start up k-lite one more time and leave it on 24/7 :lol:

I know,bad joke :rolleyes:
Seriously though,change ISP if possible as 2nd gen noob said.
But on the other hand,they can't deny you their service just because you're running k-lite or any other filesharing program.It's only when you download copyrighted stuff with it that it could become an issue for them.
But as long as they don&#39;t get any notification of the RIAA,MPAA,...claiming that they caught you using it for downloading illegal stuff,then your ISP should just shut up and let it go <_<
I don&#39;t know,but i think they&#39;re just doing themselves more harm by cutting people of for using p2p.Other ISP&#39;s will be more then happy to take you as a custumor without giving you any hastle about filesharing.

AndrewBarker
05-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by nhpsurfkid@11 May 2004 - 18:54
yesterday i had my broadband connection suspended by cox communications and when i called they told me it was because i was using kazaa or some other kind of illegal filesharing program.
There is nothing illegal about file sharing programs

the only illegal aspect is the sharing of copyright material