PDA

View Full Version : Take Some Time To Help A Newb!?

FourSeasons
05-15-2004, 01:54 AM
Okay, my problem concerns with the extremely low speeds of bittorent clients. I was notified that certain clients were superior in both reliability and speed, one of which was the prominently used ABC, and in consquence, i dled that client.

but STILL!!!!!!!

after 7 hours of downloading, i return from school and the speed is around 1 - 5kb/s and the file has marginally initiated. These torrents are very popular, and the "seed" count are usually really high, but the speed is STILL this slow. This is VERY frustrating.

don't get me wrong, i have high speed shaw and it isn't through a router, and ftp: dowloads are around the 100kb-200kb/s speeds

Can anyone tell me wtf is going on with this speed, and is there any... i mean.. ANY way to get it higher that this. I heard that upload is porportional to download, but why the hell is my upload always higher than my download? like if my dl speed was 5 kb, upload is usually 5 times greater. I'm sure there are other people that have the same questions, or prehaps remedied this problem, hopefully i can get some insight on increasing this depressing speed.

thnx

muchspl2
05-15-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by FourSeasons@14 May 2004 - 21:02
Okay, my problem concerns with the extremely low speeds of bittorent clients. I was notified that certain clients were superior in both reliability and speed, one of which was the prominently used ABC, and in consquence, i dled that client.

but STILL!!!!!!!

after 7 hours of downloading, i return from school and the speed is around 1 - 5kb/s and the file has marginally initiated. These torrents are very popular, and the "seed" count are usually really high, but the speed is STILL this slow. This is VERY frustrating.

don't get me wrong, i have high speed shaw and it isn't through a router, and ftp: dowloads are around the 100kb-200kb/s speeds

Can anyone tell me wtf is going on with this speed, and is there any... i mean.. ANY way to get it higher that this. I heard that upload is porportional to download, but why the hell is my upload always higher than my download? like if my dl speed was 5 kb, upload is usually 5 times greater. I'm sure there are other people that have the same questions, or prehaps remedied this problem, hopefully i can get some insight on increasing this depressing speed.

thnx
turn off xp firewall

delphin460
05-15-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by FourSeasons@15 May 2004 - 02:02

but STILL!!!!!!!

thnx
what modem do you have ?

Broken
05-15-2004, 05:04 AM
yep, sounds like a firewall.

vegasguy
05-15-2004, 06:03 AM
Hi,

yep, this what happen with me when I first started, it was my XP firewall.

OR

it might be youre behind a router , (that what happen at my work) need to open up the ports ur using.

erRor67
05-15-2004, 06:26 AM
Yup, usally speed/connection problems have to do with firewalls, or routers (port forwarding). I have my XP firewall, ZA, and Norton firewall and I have no problems. I just port forwarded all my ports that I needed and i was set. :D

FourSeasons
05-15-2004, 06:30 AM
i c... XP firewall, i guess that it

how do i disable it guys?
and is it safe to dl stuff if i do?

thanks alot

FourSeasons
05-15-2004, 06:34 AM
omg

i'm sure everyone heard of the anime Naruto, well the 83rd episode came out

5677 seeds people, my DL speed: 1kb/s......

*cries*

FourSeasons
05-15-2004, 06:36 AM
note: that speed has been going on for about 2 hours now, i'm DONE being patient

oldjagman
05-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Apart from the technicalities of firewalls and routers you need to consider the simple law of supply and demand.

If you are D/Ling a newly seeded torrent and only 1 (the initial source) seed is available then you are going to get low speeds as the entire swarm goes at the speed of the uploader. To check out your speed realistically pick a torrent with a good seed and leech population and see what you get. Also remember you always start off slowly with torrents while your client slowly fills up with sources.

One final point - and a disputed one - my experience is I get the best speeds when I set upload speed to half my potential (ie if you are on 256K upload from your ISP then your potential is about 32k and you should set upload to 16k).

Good luck!

bilko
06-10-2004, 03:39 PM
check firewalls - turn off or allow access
check torrent seed/peer
change ur bittorrent port range - maybe ISP restricts standard bt ranges
play with ur max connections / global upload settings
try out different torrents

Voetsek
06-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Lack of a seed takes time