PDA

View Full Version : Question About Downloading Speed

detroit_desiji
05-15-2004, 03:43 PM
Hi all,

I've got a small question regarding downloading speed. I have a cable modem and I'm using Clean KMD 2.4.4, but it was an issue with all versions of Kazaa I've had. I also use kazaa supernodes often, to get the most optimal supernode.

Oftentimes, when I start to download a file it starts to transfer at speeds that are very fast for my standards, like ~50kbps. It transfers at that rate for one or two seconds but then gets bumped down to the average 2-5kbps, from the same person.

My question is, how come the rates slow down so much? Because it starts to download at that rate, does it mean that there the capability to download that fast on my connection, but it simply just doesn't? Or are those fast download rates not real?

What can I do to prevent that and actually download at those initial fast rates?

Thanks!
-Jai

SamsonC
05-15-2004, 03:47 PM
good question

2nd gen noob
05-15-2004, 03:54 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=28833

nsane
05-15-2004, 04:35 PM
i think its the sharman thing, where they're blocking older version below 2.6. i noticed a slow down when i was using k++, try Clean KMD 2.6.0 and tell us if it does the samething :unsure:

dummer
05-15-2004, 05:56 PM
I have noticed the same thing. And also when a reasonably large a file is nearing completion - 300-500 Kb left to go, the steady, acceptable, d/l speed I had drops to anything between 0.99 to 0.00 Kb, then loses the connection, reconnects at the same miserable speeds......etc.Why is this? It is very frustrating. :angry:

Cheers

MUSLEMAN
05-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by dummer@15 May 2004 - 14:04
I have noticed the same thing. And also when a reasonably large a file is nearing completion - 300-500 Kb left to go, the steady, acceptable, d/l speed I had drops to anything between 0.99 to 0.00 Kb, then loses the connection, reconnects at the same miserable speeds......etc.Why is this? It is very frustrating. :angry:

Cheers
that is how all kazaa versions work boss, toward the end they only use one or two sources to download from, in order to make more sources available to people who just started the download at the begining

Entity101
05-16-2004, 12:03 AM
The fast speed that you see in the first two seconds is wrong. It is calculated based on the time and the amount of data that has been transfered. When those numbers are small the error (compared to the real value) is big. When the time is longer a more correct value is calculated.

You see a similar thing when you download something in for example Internet Explorer. Only then the difference in calculated speeds is smaller.

detroit_desiji
05-16-2004, 05:37 AM
Cool :) Thanks guys

BTW, I've just installed Kazaa Lite Tools K++, and holy crap, my downloads are like 5x faster

I'm not sure why, but I highly reccomend people with problems such as mine download it.

Thanks again!
-Jai