PDA

View Full Version : Files Not Found

spyda05
05-16-2004, 10:40 PM
i have dialup and it takes me a long time to download but a friend of mine has DSL. i took my .dat files and put them on his computer (he uses the same version of k-lite as me). then i started downloading other files. (did search on his pc and all) but all files downloaded on his computer are not there. i searched the hard drive manually and with the search and found none of them!

he had kazaa a long time ago and still may have some old kazaa files on it, would that effect anything?

thanks!!!!

Autumn Fox
05-16-2004, 11:05 PM
#1 If your "My Shared Folder" is in a diffrent location then his and there is no other folder named and placed same as yours files will vanish.

#2 If the files get corrupted, they get deleted.

#3 Limited space also is a problem.

spyda05
05-16-2004, 11:14 PM
ok i see that if the my shared folder is in a different place hjow the files would be deleted. but would that effect the new files i searched for and downloaded on his computer, not moving ,dat files?

how would the files become corrupted?

Autumn Fox
05-16-2004, 11:23 PM
A file can get corrupted on many occasions. Power sortage.
Fake file.
Error in data transmission.
System error.
K-Lite error.
Hardware error.
That includes
Hard disk.

Memory.

MUSLEMAN
05-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by spyda05@16 May 2004 - 19:22
ok i see that if the my shared folder is in a different place hjow the files would be deleted. but would that effect the new files i searched for and downloaded on his computer, not moving ,dat files?

how would the files become corrupted?
in this case since the new shared folder's path is not the same as the original one, once the dat file is complete it will go to the original folder which is not there so you can't find it.

place a "my shared folder" in the place where it was originally and you will find your files

Autumn Fox
05-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN+16 May 2004 - 23:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MUSLEMAN @ 16 May 2004 - 23:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> in this case since the new shared folder&#39;s path is not the same as the original one, once the dat file is complete it will go to the original folder which is not there so you can&#39;t find it.

place a "my shared folder" in the place where it was originally and you will find your files [/b]
No he won&#39;t.

<!--QuoteBegin-spyda05@16 May 2004 - 19:22
(...)but would that effect the new files i searched for and downloaded on his computer, not moving ,dat files? [/quote]

:rolleyes:

Does your friends has enaugh free space on his drive ??

MUSLEMAN
05-16-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Autumn Fox+16 May 2004 - 19:43--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Autumn Fox @ 16 May 2004 - 19:43)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MUSLEMAN@16 May 2004 - 23:35
in this case since the new shared folder&#39;s path is not the same as the original one, once the dat file is complete it will go to the original folder which is not there so you can&#39;t find it.

place a "my shared folder" in the place where it was originally and you will find your files
No he won&#39;t.

<!--QuoteBegin-spyda05@16 May 2004 - 19:22
(...)but would that effect the new files i searched for and downloaded on his computer, not moving ,dat files?

:rolleyes:

Does your friends has enaugh free space on his drive ?? [/b][/quote]
lol what are you talking about??? yes he will :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

if the dat file completed and now he can&#39;t find it he will

Autumn Fox
05-17-2004, 12:04 AM
He said that he lunched a new search on his friends computer, so for this files the destination folder didn&#39;t change nor move and thus making a new "My Shared Folder&#39; won&#39;t solve anything.

I ask again: Does your friend has sufficient disk space ?

MUSLEMAN
05-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Autumn Fox@16 May 2004 - 20:12
He said that he lunched a new search on his friends computer, so for this files the destination folder didn&#39;t change nor move and thus making a new "My Shared Folder&#39; won&#39;t solve anything.

I ask again: Does your friend has sufficient disk space ?
automn don&#39;t argue with me boss the search is not gonna find it becaue the folder its suppose to be in is not there.

if he puts the folder where its suppose to be then the file will be in it. :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Autumn Fox
05-17-2004, 10:59 PM
If he have made a new search on his friends machine then his old .dat files are not being downloaded. New files are. And the new files use the K-Lite of his friend, and his friend did not move his "My Shared Folder".

spyda05
05-18-2004, 05:18 PM
ok guys, thanks for the help. i didn&#39;t mean to start a war or anything. i&#39;ll try uninstalling kazaa from his computer and trying it again.

ps. yes he has enough space on his computer. he has like 40GB free.

Autumn Fox
05-18-2004, 06:28 PM
No, &#39;tis not a war, just diffrent opinions.

MUSLEMAN
05-18-2004, 09:43 PM
i thought he said that he put the dat file on his friends pc then it was downloading and then it disappeared??

spyda05
05-19-2004, 05:51 PM
ok, let me try to explain this a little better. i started downloading on my pc, took the dat files from mine to a friends to finish downloading. once there i did more searches and all files, the old dat files and the new ones, once downloaded were gone from the hard drive.

MUSLEMAN
05-19-2004, 06:46 PM
so what you are saying is the ones you brought from you pc to your friends pc did in fact finish downloading then disapeared right??

Autumn Fox
05-19-2004, 11:08 PM
He&#39;s saying that ALL of his files, irrelevane wheter .dats have been moved or not, have disappired.

The moved .dats disappired probably because their information about to which folder "appire" as finished downloads contained info about a folder that did not existed on your friends computer. Creating it now will be reasonable only if you have any more of your old .dats or if you want to move your new .dats to your old computer or you might try to recover them, although, thoes files are most likely lost, you can try to recover them with a program ment to do such things.
Use Google for it.

The new ones might got lost due to corruption, though i doubt that all of them have been affected by it. And the lack of space isn&#39;t applicable here either.

When i come up with something i&#39;ll let you know.

Edit. If he has, and he should, an AV acctivated check its quarantine folder/list for files which have names like K-Lite downloads (lots of numbers with a .dat extension) and check when thoes files, if any, have been moved into quarantine.