PDA

View Full Version : Italy's Senate Passes Draconian Anti-piracy And

sharedholder
05-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Italy's senate passes draconian anti-piracy and anti-P2P law

Italy has just passed surely the most draconian and controversial anti-piracy law in the world, in total contrast to EU directives. The new law, named after its promoter cultural minister Giuliano Urbani, considers P2P users and professional pirates as criminals on the same level, with 6 months to 3 years jail time and up to a 15,000 euro ($12,000) fine. If this new law will ever be enforced, Italy's telco operators can sure expect to see a dramatic stop to the up-to-now quickly growing ADSL market, and an en-masse cancellation of active subscriptions.

(source unfortunately only in Italian)

http://punto-informatico.it/

cwctv
05-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Italy's telco operators can sure expect to see a dramatic stop to the up-to-now quickly growing ADSL market, and an en-masse cancellation of active subscriptions.

I quite agree its not only Italy but everywhere in truth what is the point of fast boardband if not to download.
NO way am I going to pay for pay-as-you view TV etc as for the rest well I can browse,update and get emails etc on a modem did so for 4 yrs (maybe slow but not impossible).
If the rest ie UK do the same I will cancell (and miss) my broadband as I don't see a need for it.