PDA

View Full Version : Isp Blocked P2p Software

downloadgeek
06-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Hello,

I am very mad at my ISP since it seems they have blocked the use of P2P software. I've tried everything to get kazaa to work and still i get such horrible speeds. I've tried other alternatives and still nothing. I would love to switch ISP's but the one i am on is the only broadband ISP there is in my area. Other people on my ISP are having the same problems so thats why i assume that the ISP has blocked use of P2P. Has there been any new P2P software that isn't blocked by ISP's???

Ariel_001
06-14-2004, 12:29 AM
Have you tryed using a random port number?

Mr. Blunt
06-14-2004, 01:00 AM
What's your ISP?

downloadgeek
06-14-2004, 01:30 AM
a small rural one. I've called them and they claim that there is no block but isnt it off that four ppl from the same very small ISP are having the same problem. Before a month ago we were getting speeds over 80kb/s. Now, we're lucky if we get more than 2kb/s. I was getting better speeds on dial-up.

Vargas
06-14-2004, 02:42 AM
are you, by chance, using zone alarm 5?

downloadgeek
06-14-2004, 02:53 AM
no,

i am behind no firewall, i have the firewall in XP disabled

Tackdaddy
06-14-2004, 11:01 AM
damn dude that really suck,best of luck to you.

Canadian Knight
06-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Another reason could be that, if you're downloading "Alot" then your ISP might have capped your Bandwidth usage. If you lay off the P2P programs for week or lil longer, Your speeds might get better with the available bandwidth.

My best guess, you got capped and they didnt notify you.

downloadgeek
06-14-2004, 12:25 PM
no, i dont download very much @ all. It takes too long for movies and apps so i download some mp3's but maybe 10 a week at the most.

downloadgeek
06-17-2004, 10:36 PM
anyone have any ideas?

Switeck
06-18-2004, 12:33 PM
annox -- the proxy service someone mentioned on another thread -- that would probably help you get p2p file sharing programs working. Your ISP's filters wouldn't be able to make sense of the encrypted traffic and would pass it along unthrottled.

Sounds more like they've throttled p2p file-sharing speeds to really low values instead of blocking. If it's ip PORT-BLOCKING they're using, turn the tables on them and try non-standard ip ports... and if that doesn't work try ip ports 80, 8080, 21, 135-139, 445, and others that have official dedicated tasks that they DARE not block... not if they want to even claim they give 'internet access'.

BTW, 'internet access' is NOT just access to the World Wide Web HTTP://www (http://HTTP://www). .com websites. Any "ISP" that isn't giving access to various legal networks operating over the internet, which practially ALL file-sharing networks ARE, is not giving full internet access. A carefully worded question can even catch them in the lie of the claim.

Nicksta
06-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Hey Switeck...

looked everywhere for what u were talking about bro - no luck - went through all the forums!!

Would setting up a proxy server really work? Cos my ISP throttles my speeds, so im lucky to get 1kbps downloads, and they kill it alltogether during the day! They do admit to it, they say they block during the day, allow during the evenings and but limit speeds! Before they started this we used to download at a good 30kbps, which isnt bad for the connection we have.

So where would I start going about setting up a proxy server, and is it really complicated...i am extremely computer literate - just not with proxy though i know what it is...will it made a diff???

So what u reccomend?? :rolleyes:

Switeck
06-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Nicksta@20 June 2004 - 16:29
So where would I start going about setting up a proxy server, and is it really complicated...i am extremely computer literate - just not with proxy though i know what it is...will it made a diff???I don't know, I've NEVER used a remote proxy server/service before. Running a local proxy is worthless though, because the data traffic has to be encrpyted/disguised to get by your ISP's blocking filters.

I use on occassion Peer Guardian blocklists in the various file-sharing programs I use. (BitTorrent, BearShare, Kazaa Lite K++) I *DO* update this list... or rather get someone else's updated list from time to time, as I know the old ip lists are often incorrect. This won't help or hurt your situation -- it's just to ban/block the badguys OUTSIDE my connection. Your ISP is your connection and thus you cannot 'block' them that way...

BearShare uses encrpytion between BearShare-to-BearShare (v4.3.x and later) transfers, which *MIGHT* bypass the ISP's throttle controls. However you'd HAVE to use a non-standard ip port (in short NOT 6346!) for that to have ANY chance of going faster than dead slow even when it's NOT completely blocked.

Your ISP during the day may have a blanket lockdown which only allows incomming traffic on specific ip ports such as 21, 25, and 80. If so, you'd HAVE to use one of those ip ports.