PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Read?

Cheese
06-26-2004, 11:02 PM
I mean how do you read a book, do you have a reading room you sit in whilst smoking a pipe and wearing slippers. Or perhaps you only ever read on the khazi or only just before going to sleep.

Do you have any special rituals that must be observed before you can comfortabley read a book? Do you need absolute silence or do you listen to kick-ass tunes at the same time.

Myself I read at work a lot (it gets that quiet) and I try to at least read at home for an hour or so though I find the internet often distracts me from this goal. I usually hate being distracted whilst reading so noise is a big no-no.

*goddess*
06-27-2004, 01:02 AM
:) I usually lay down to read, no music or other distractions. Sometimes on a sun lounge in the backyard and every night before I go to sleep I have to read for a while.

blitz
06-27-2004, 05:07 AM
I read while laying on my bed. Sometimes I read on the floor (carpeting makes it comfortable, of course)

Randomblonde
06-27-2004, 05:29 AM
before i sleep. with one lamp and no background noise. the hazard of that though is if its a really great book i just keep reading and get about two hours sleep.

Darth Sushi
06-27-2004, 06:33 AM
With a PocketPC PDA. ;)

uNz[i]
06-27-2004, 10:03 AM
On sofa, cat optional.

pusher
06-27-2004, 01:25 PM
I usually read while in my room, laying in bed with some classical music playing in the background.

Gemby!
06-27-2004, 02:56 PM
i need complete silence when i read otherwise im distracted :)

i usually read while sitting on my bed or lying etc. :01:

threelions00
06-27-2004, 10:24 PM
has to be silent...anyone talking should be beaten...nothing worse...if you want to put yourself in the book, then the gf rabbiting away about something that you have no interest in whatsoever needs to shut her trap

Randomblonde
07-13-2004, 03:53 PM
...and i must be warm. very warm. cold is totally distracting to me.

Guillaume
07-13-2004, 10:03 PM
I don't need any special condition and/or media: it's everywhere (though never in the toilets: I cant' stand people who read books, newspaper or comics while sitting on the can! They should be shot in the head!:angry:), everywhen, on paper or on my pda.

Cheese
07-13-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Gurahl@13 July 2004 - 22:11
I don't need any special condition and/or media: it's everywhere (though never in the toilets: I cant' stand people who read books, newspaper or comics while sitting on the can! They should be shot in the head!:angry:), everywhen, on paper or on my pda.
I read on the can, we even have a bookcase next to the toilet. :ph34r: ;) :lol:

Guillaume
07-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Withcheese+14 July 2004 - 00:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Withcheese &#064; 14 July 2004 - 00:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Gurahl@13 July 2004 - 22:11
I don&#39;t need any special condition and/or media: it&#39;s everywhere (though never in the toilets: I cant&#39; stand people who read books, newspaper or comics while sitting on the can&#33; They should be shot in the head&#33;:angry:), everywhen, on paper or on my pda.
I read on the can, we even have a bookcase next to the toilet. :ph34r: ;) :lol:[/b][/quote]
How can you? :x

I mean, walllowing in your own odors, how can you concentrate on your reading? :x

And what of the poor bastards who need to take a leak ? :angry:

mogadishu
07-14-2004, 07:56 AM
I have on numerous occasions nearly shit my pants running around the house trying to find a good read before plopping down on the can to take a dump. I simply cannot relieve myself without something to read. Otherwise, I need complete quiet and can only read very late at night - after 2AM atleast when there is very little street noise. (live in new york city).

mogadishu
07-14-2004, 07:57 AM
lmao - i just remembered the Seinfeld episode where George takes a book into the bathroom at a book store and is forced to buy it, then can&#39;t return it at any bookstore or even give it to the salvation army because it has been "tagged" as being taken into the bathroom. Ah good stuff.

brenda
07-23-2004, 01:44 AM
I used to go to bed early and read for a couiple of hours in silence before going to sleep. But then I got addicted to the internet and haven&#39;t read a book since. I plan to address this issue shortly.

maybe.

TheNobleEU
07-24-2004, 09:36 PM
I get most of my reading done on the weekly commutes. Lots of stuff going on around me never distracted me; nothing else to do really but stare at other people on the subway, so I find I really get the most done travelling to and from work.

When I was an undergrad, I used to get on the subway early in the morning with my textbooks, ride the trains all day, and have all my reading done before a test. It really worked for me. The real distraction for me was being at home where my computer is -- way too much to do on the net, I never get to my reading&#33;

Cheers,
-EU

Henry Higgins
07-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by TheNobleEU@24 July 2004 - 21:37
When I was an undergrad, I used to get on the subway early in the morning with my textbooks, ride the trains all day, and have all my reading done before a test. It really worked for me. The real distraction for me was being at home where my computer is -- way too much to do on the net, I never get to my reading&#33;

Cheers,
-EU
This is what I worry about, I&#39;m easily distracted by my computer. I start my English degree in September and I live right next to the uni so I won&#39;t be able to read whilst commuting.

I suppose I could move away and then get some reading done on my way in... :lol:

TheNobleEU
07-25-2004, 12:05 AM
It&#39;s hard HH, but you&#39;ll have to suppress the temptation to cross the street and, say, read FST instead of Eng Lit. :D (Gawd if only I had done half the readings I was assigned instead of playing FPS&#39; on the net all day).

In fact it might even work out better, because you won&#39;t feel the urge to leave the school reading rooms early to get home at a decent time (my main problem...)

Cheers,
-EU

muchspl2
07-25-2004, 12:09 AM
I can&#39;t :cry1:
I just look at the pictures

100%
07-27-2004, 04:13 AM
In bed until the drool pours out of my mouth, i drop book and pass out

http://mirrorimageorigin.collegepublisher.com/media/paper234/stills/419r53t3.jpg