PDA

View Full Version : Rooney Overrated?

99shassan
06-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Who thinks this? I mean, he isn't the only one in the team you know. I personally think rooney isn't that great. Maybe thats just my lack of sport knowledge. What are your views?

Illuminati
06-28-2004, 08:43 PM
He wasn't the only one in the team, but he was the one who continually gave it his all throughout the tournament (until he got injured at the Portugal game of course ;))

The regular English threats - Owen, Beckham, Gerrard, Campbell - either played well but slipped at critical times or did shat throughout but had their moments; Neither of which is good for an strong English team. And the less talked about the performances of Heskey and (Calamity) James, the better :angry:

The boy deserved the praise after his overall performance in the tournament - And I'm a Liverpool supporter so it hurts in part for me to say that about an Everton player ;) Course, if he wants to carry on with the praise, he'll have to justify it by carrying on at that level in the Premiership when he's healed ;)

jetje
06-28-2004, 08:45 PM
i agree with you, the lad has potential but isn't that good yet as some people like to think.
Wait a year or 2 then you know if he has filled in his potential.
I also think it's better for these young players if they get some time to evolve their skills in a pretty quiet enviroment. But it seems that the hype around the guy is too big already. So i hope for him he has a pair of iron legs that can carry the load of expectations they lay on his shoulders.....
:)

manker
06-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 99shassan@28 June 2004 - 20:44
Who thinks this? I mean, he isn't the only one in the team you know. I personally think rooney isn't that great. Maybe thats just my lack of sport knowledge. What are your views?
I put down my thoughts on him in the other thread but he is undoubtedly an awesome talent and potentially the best player I know of in europe; further I don't know of a better player under 20 in the world, any suggestions?

As Jetje posted he has still some way to go to fill his boots properly and maybe it would be preferable if he stayed at Everton for another couple of years but as some half decent manager said: "If you're good enough, you're old enough"

Also Rooney was head and shoulders above every other midfield/attacking English player at Euro 2004, The English Defence, in particular Ashley Cole, did well but I dont think they'd have gotten out of the group without Rooney.

Ikafer
06-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by manker@28 June 2004 - 21:28
Also Rooney was head and shoulders above every other midfield/attacking  English player at Euro 2004, The English Defence, in particular Ashley Cole, did well but I dont think they'd have gotten out of the group without Rooney.
As for the defence thats understandable since our midfield went missing in all 4 games we played. The defence shouldn't have too defend that much & I think it was pretty sad to pin out hopes of a nation on a 18 year lad to drag us trough the Euro04.

bhardwaj19
07-07-2004, 07:12 AM
i think alot of players a re overrated such as beckham,rivaldo, raul, patrick viera , totti christian vieri etc. underrated players: micheal owen, micheal ballack, nuno gomes etc. thats only my opinion. rooney is a good player, if he doesnt come out big in the epl it'll be a dissapointment :helpsmile: