PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Quote From Le God

manker
06-29-2004, 11:21 AM
Eric Cantona says he was disappointed to see England slump out of Euro 2004 but the exit of the French left him cold. The former France and Manchester United ace said:
“I do not support France. I am French but I am not interested in France. I would like to have been born in England - it’s my country.”

:o

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40324000/jpg/_40324489_cantona203.jpg

link to story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/euro_2004/3848181.stm)

I know they dropped him after they failed to qualify for the World Cup (1994?) along with l'oreal boy Ginola but renouncing one's country seems a little much :alien:

edit: to include link + pic

jetje
06-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by manker@29 June 2004 - 13:29
but renouncing one's country seems a little much :alien:

Why?? i'm not a supporter of this Dutch team either, although i'm Dutch...

must say, that i'm not since they make Advocaat manager of the team. I really dislike the way he selects the squad, and let them play. Always thinking defense 1st, where the best Dutch game is to play offense...

Look at this tournament, he let van der Meijde play although the guy hasn't performed well. His reason behind it... van der Meijde isn't good as a sub... my reason don't select him then.

Almost the same goes for the way he treats van Hooijdonk, the guy had a great season in Turkey. Was in topform but he thinks if he put him in the squad he has no one on the bench to make the offense stronger when we're behind...
The guy doesn't think: With van Hooijdonk we could be in a lead, so we don't need a substitution to break the defense of the opponent.

Also the way he played the test matches, always giving Kluivert a place in the starting line up although he had a terrible season in Barcelona... <_<
He could have test the other (great strikers&#33;) or select a guy like Jimmy floyd Haisselbank, wich is a good one to come from the bench&#33;
Even if the Dutch become champs, i&#39;m sure we could have been bigger champs with another coach&#33;.. ;)

nostalgia
06-29-2004, 09:41 PM
You&#39;re absolutely correct but we&#39;re in the semi, so please for the guys in the team, give some positive vibes for a match or two.
With the talents to grow maybe this is the only chance in years to come to get a prize with the team. It would be only the second prize ever (after 1988) although we had and have great players.

manker
06-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by jetje+29 June 2004 - 20:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jetje @ 29 June 2004 - 20:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-manker@29 June 2004 - 13:29
but renouncing one&#39;s country seems a little much&nbsp; :alien:

Why?? i&#39;m not a supporter of this Dutch team either, although i&#39;m Dutch... [/b][/quote]
Perhaps I wasn&#39;t clear; I meant the odd thing was that Cantona renounced his whole country, not just renounced supporting his countries football team.

In any case I kinda agree with what you say about the Dutch coach&#39;s tactics, Holland aren&#39;t as attractive to watch as in previous tournaments but then they&#39;re in the semi&#39;s. Given the choice I know which I&#39;d prefer ;)

leonarmston
07-03-2004, 11:35 AM
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it&#39;s because they think that sardines will be thrown into the sea"
ERIC CANTONA

Another Famous Eric Cantona quote, what on earth was he on about&#33;

manker
07-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by leonarmston@3 July 2004 - 11:43
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it&#39;s because they think that sardines will be thrown into the sea"
ERIC CANTONA

The paparazzi are the seagulls, Cantona is the trawler and an exclusive on why he kung-fu&#39;d the nazi in the Selhurst Park crowd is the sardine.

Man Utd were giving a press conference in reaction to Cantona dishing on some idiot and literally every journalist in Britain turned up expecting Cantona to give them a full and frank account before lunch - it was never gonna happen. He chose to tell them that in a colourful manner.

leonarmston
07-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by manker+3 July 2004 - 12:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker &#064; 3 July 2004 - 12:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-leonarmston@3 July 2004 - 11:43
ERIC CANTONA

The paparazzi are the seagulls, Cantona is the trawler and an exclusive on why he kung-fu&#39;d the nazi in the Selhurst Park crowd is the sardine.

Man Utd were giving a press conference in reaction to Cantona dishing on some idiot and literally every journalist in Britain turned up expecting Cantona to give them a full and frank account before lunch - it was never gonna happen. He chose to tell them that in a colourful manner.[/b][/quote]

"My lawyer and the officials wanted me to speak. So I just said that. It was nothing, it did not mean anything. I could have said &#39;The curtains are pink but I love them&#39;"
CANTONA EXPLAINS HIS FAMOUS SARDINES QUOTE

manker
07-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by leonarmston+3 July 2004 - 18:24--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (leonarmston @ 3 July 2004 - 18:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by manker@3 July 2004 - 12:51
<!--QuoteBegin-leonarmston@3 July 2004 - 11:43
ERIC CANTONA

Man Utd were giving a press conference in reaction to Cantona dishing on some idiot and literally every journalist in Britain turned up expecting Cantona to give them a full and frank account before lunch - it was never gonna happen. He chose to tell them that in a colourful manner.

"My lawyer and the officials wanted me to speak. So I just said that. It was nothing, it did not mean anything. I could have said &#39;The curtains are pink but I love them&#39;"
CANTONA EXPLAINS HIS FAMOUS SARDINES QUOTE [/b][/quote]
obviously you havent got a clough.

read. then think. then read again.

leonarmston
07-04-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by manker+3 July 2004 - 23:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (manker @ 3 July 2004 - 23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by leonarmston@3 July 2004 - 18:24

Originally posted by manker@3 July 2004 - 12:51
<!--QuoteBegin-leonarmston@3 July 2004 - 11:43
ERIC CANTONA

CANTONA EXPLAINS HIS FAMOUS SARDINES QUOTE
obviously you havent got a clough.

read. then think. then read again. [/b][/quote]
You Talkin To Me?

I am only quoting what cantona said which is displayed on a Man U website&#33;

Manu Website (http://www.manutdzone.com/funstuff/unitedfamousquotes.html)

manker
07-04-2004, 05:29 PM
sorry about that, I didn&#39;t write that reply.

a few of my mates stayed over last night and judging by that message, my keyboard being covered in lager stains and marmalade plus my desktop wallpaper is now a picture of a naked septogenarian - I reckon they did a bit of surfing, bastards <_<

um wrt your message, you&#39;re probably right but that analogy was my first thought when I heard him say the seagull thing and I&#39;ve stubbornly stuck to it :P

leonarmston
07-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by manker@4 July 2004 - 16:37
sorry about that, I didn&#39;t write that reply.

a few of my mates stayed over last night and judging by that message, my keyboard being covered in lager stains and marmalade plus my desktop wallpaper is now a picture of a naked septogenarian - I reckon they did a bit of surfing, bastards <_<

um wrt your message, you&#39;re probably right but that analogy was my first thought when I heard him say the seagull thing and I&#39;ve stubbornly stuck to it :P
I&#39;d get worried it might not be lager stains and marmalade on ya keyboard, i reckon they did abit of surfing late at night and forgot to clean up&#33; :lol: :lol: