PDA

View Full Version : Oem Bare Drive Instalation

healimonster
03-20-2003, 02:27 AM
Ok,

I have a 80 gig HD on the way via UPS as we speak.

I have looked inside my computer and it has an open slot above my normal drive and seeming the right cables ready and waiting to be utilsed.

I plan to use the drive as a slave.

This is what I think i have to do, slap the drive in the open slot, plug in some long 100 pin cord, and some smaller cord as a power supply.

Then what?

TUrn my computer on and let XP recognise it?

any help would be appreciated.
thanks

imported_QuietSilence!
03-20-2003, 03:50 AM
thats prity much it dude most newer bios will automatacly detect it havent put one in an xp sys yet but it should find it an may even offer to format it for u if not just go to the drive manager and tell it to format it i would sugest u use ntfs as its a fairly secure file system un less u want to use a dule boot system to boot win95/98 then id use fat32 as win 95\98 wont be able to read ntfs

good luck

Supernatural
03-20-2003, 05:41 AM
You also have to set the jumpers to act as slave.

Nobody1234
03-20-2003, 07:15 AM
Yes, as Supernatural said, set the jumper to slave on the drive before you install it into the case.

The drive needs to have at least one partition on it before it can be formatted. Use NTFS if you other drive is NTFS. Use Fat32 if it's fat32. You can tell what type of file system you have by going to 'My computer'>Right click on the drive icon>choose properties from the menu. You will see "File System" there.

Supernatural
03-20-2003, 07:30 AM
I suggest using NTSF, since FAT32 is limited to 32GB. Splitting up that big drive into mulitiple partitions is just an inconveniance.

leecheskicked
03-20-2003, 12:22 PM
split it up, fdisk and set some partitions, otherwise you are in for a world of pain, u know how long it takes to defrag 80 gig of clutter!

Supernatural
03-20-2003, 04:37 PM
NTFS defrags fast, because it can be indexed for faster searching.. unlike FAT32. <_<

healimonster
03-20-2003, 09:18 PM
thanks for the adivce...

the drive has yet to arive but it will be shortly.

my default drive the came with my computer is NTFS... so i will go with that setting.

Where is the jumper switch? on my new drive or a cable some where, or my old drive?

is it just a simple switch that is labeled slave and "master" or what ever the other one is called.

thanks.

Nobody1234
03-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Once you get your new drive you will see a sticker or something that will show you the &#39;slave&#39; mode. On every drive I have seen it is a simple matter of moving a jumper to the right position. And, yes, It is on the drive unit itself.

J'Pol
03-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Look on the drive itself you will see a "picture" it will show something like :::: This will show you how to set the drive. Below this diagram it will show how different jumper settings will effect the drive.

There will be a jumper to place at the back of the drive. This will be across two of the pins at the back. It is normally placed on the pins to set them as a master. A jumper is just a wee bit of plastic which connects the appropriate pins. You put the wee bit of plastic across the appropriate ones to decide if it is a master of slave.

Look at the back of the drive where the ide and power cables will connect. You will see the :::: in real life, along with the jumper.

Simply place the jumper across the appropriate pins, so that it looks something like ::i:. Then install the drive as discussed. Remember if you install it as a slave then it will have to be on the same chanell as a master. In a normal system you can have four ide drives. Primary master and slave. Secondary master and slave. It is normal for your primary master to be your boot hard drive.

J'Pol
03-20-2003, 10:55 PM
With regard to the drive being identified. Go into your BIOS, please post if you donīt know how to do this and someone will tell you how. Then set up your ide chanells to auto-detect at startup. For all ide devices.

I would just try putting the drive in as discussed earlier, with the appropriate jumper settings. There is every chance that the BIOS is already set-up for autodetect.

Once again Good Luck and let us know how you get on.

healimonster
03-26-2003, 08:30 PM
I have my drive in hand.

now on the front or back of it their is a side of pins. on has a plastic guard on it. Written on the bottom of it near that guard it say

CS below that it says Slave and below that master.

How do i set the drive to slave? pulling out the plastic thing over CS and putting it down over the slave option?

thanks for any help.

healimonster
03-26-2003, 08:31 PM
follow up question.

do i have to screw in this drive.. or is putting it on its shelf good enough?

J'Pol
03-26-2003, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by healimonster@26 March 2003 - 21:30
I have my drive in hand.

now on the front or back of it their is a side of pins. on has a plastic guard on it. Written on the bottom of it near that guard it say

How do i set the drive to slave? pulling out the plastic thing over CS and putting it down over the slave option?

thanks for any help.
Put the plastic thing (jumper) over the pins marked slave and it will make the drive a slave. Remember it will have to be on the same chanell as a master.

Yes it should be secured. It will spin at over 5,000 rpm or maybe over 7,000 rpm so it should be securely screwed in.

Good luck, keep us up to date on progress.

accat13
03-26-2003, 08:40 PM
healimonster Posted on 26 March 2003 - 15:30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have my drive in hand.

thanks for any help. for your curiousity cs stands for cable select and the plastic thing is the jumper good luck.. Oh and don&#39;t forget to ground yourself by holding on to your case or using a proper grounding strap computer devices hate static B)

healimonster
03-26-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by JmiF@26 March 2003 - 21:36

Remember it will have to be on the same chanell as a master.

what does that mean?

J'Pol
03-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by healimonster+26 March 2003 - 21:49--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (healimonster @ 26 March 2003 - 21:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--JmiF@26 March 2003 - 21:36

Remember it will have to be on the same chanell as a master.

what does that mean? [/b][/quote]
The thick grey cable which plugs into the motherboard and the back of the hdd is an ide connector. You will have to use the same one which connects to your main hdd (master) that you plug into this one. That way you will have a master and slave on the same channel.

If you connect your new drive directly to the mother board, on it&#39;s own, it will also have to be a master.

There is a primary and secondary chanell. Each can have up to two devices. Primary master and slave. Secondary master and slave. One drive on each must be a master.

accat13
03-26-2003, 09:21 PM
JmiF Posted on 26 March 2003 - 16:09 There is a primary and secondary chanell. Each can have up to two devices. Primary master and slave. Secondary master and slave. One drive on each must be a master. the secondary could be cdrom , cdrw,dvdrom etc.. <_<

J'Pol
03-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by accat13@26 March 2003 - 22:21

JmiF Posted on 26 March 2003 - 16:09 There is a primary and secondary chanell. Each can have up to two devices. Primary master and slave. Secondary master and slave. One drive on each must be a master. the secondary could be cdrom , cdrw,dvdrom etc.. <_<
Of couse it could. I didn&#39;t say or imply it couldn&#39;t be. I was simply explaining how his new hdd could be connected. Particularly that if he was setting it as a slave then it must be on the same chanell as a master.

healimonster
03-26-2003, 09:58 PM
this is where I am at.

I physically installed the drive... near where the empty bay was there was a hanging cable that attached to my master drive, had an empty multi pin plug that fit my new drive, and then went onto the mother board.

i also plugged in the power thing.

turned on my computer and my bios recognized new settings or something.

my 20 gig drive
my 80 gig drive
and my cdrw

in that order, it gave me the option to save settings, i did.

windows XP started up, shortly there after it detected new hardware in one of those bubbles. I clicked it... and nothing happend...

shortly there after another bubble popped up and stated new hard drive detected.

I went to "my computer", and it looked the same.. the c-drive was my normal hard drive with 20 gig. d-drive was my motherboard crap. and nothing else.

I went to "add new hardware" on the control panel and selected my 80 gig drive and it stated it was working properly.

What do i need to do to get my new drive to appear? How do i format it?

Note:I restarted my computer again and got no new results.

A side question:
when I click on my C-drive from my computer there are the folders there, and then 100s of 1k files called
CA0A.IDX
CA2E.IDX
STDA.IDX
what are they? Can I delete them and where do they come from. It seems like the list gets longer every time I look.

Supernatural
03-27-2003, 03:03 AM
It doesn&#39;t have to be on the same channel as the master HD. I have my secondary HD slave to the CD-ROM.

Healimonster: When you say the D:/ drive is your "motherboard crap", what exactly do you mean by that? Shouldn&#39;t the D:/ drive be the new HD?

healimonster
03-27-2003, 06:13 AM
actually for what ever reason the d drive is part of my c-drive.

i don&#39;t understand it... but the d-drive is where all the system crap is stored.

Regardless. I figured every thing out and now i am cooking with gas.

I have moved several folders to my new drive and have clean out parts of my old drive.

All is well.

thank you all for your help.

Supernatural
03-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Sounds like your primary HD is partitioned in 2. You probably have a Compaq, they are all like that.

Livy
03-28-2003, 01:25 AM
mines aint. got compaq notebook.
or u only meaning desktop?

Supernatural
03-28-2003, 01:58 AM
I&#39;ve never seen a Compaq notebook, but all the Compaq presario desktops I&#39;ve seen have the HD split in 2.

healimonster
03-28-2003, 03:20 AM
You got that right.

I do have a compaq.

and i did finally correctly installed my new slave drive as an F drive.

Everything works great.

I now watch movies off of my new drive ... on my new tv in my living room via an x10.com video sender, and have a remote that can pause my player.

80 bucks for the drive 70 bucks for the wireless sender.

end product, priceless.

Edit:

thanks for all the help

i wouldn&#39;t have thought to do it with out your help.