PDA

View Full Version : Guide For Making High Quality Mp3 Files

VB
03-20-2003, 07:05 PM
The Quintessential Guide To Creating The Highest Quality MP3s On Earth

(original document was posted on zeropaid.com)

The Life Cycle Of An MP3

A Metallica CD is inserted into a CD-ROM drive.

The ripping software is started from the desktop. (What's ripping software? A ripper is a piece of software that lets you extract audio data from a CD)

The CD-ROM drive starts reading the CD and the ripping software saves the extracted audio as pure, uncompressed .WAVs on your computer.

STOP! Ok, at this point your audio is a virgin. It's pure. It's untouched. It's a bit-for-bit digital copy of the audio that is on your CD, and is now saved on your computer in .WAV format. The .WAV files are referred to as being uncompressed, because they're huge files.

Why don't we all trade .WAV files? The only thing stopping people from trading freshly ripped .WAV files is the fact that they're damn huge. An average song in .WAV format is about 40 megabytes, which is about 10X as large as the average song in .MP3 format.

Trading .WAVs wouldn't be any fun because they'd take 10X as long to download, and your hard drive would fill up 10X as fast.

I Think I Know Where You're Going With This...

You're such a keener. Yes, the whole idea behind the .MP3 format is to take those uncompressed 40 megabyte .WAVs and compress (squish) them down to 4 megabyte .MP3s.

Can you guess what this process is called? Anyone? Yes, it's referred to as compression. You will also hear the term encoding associated with this process. Encoding is actually a better name for the process, it refers to the actual process of the .WAV being turned into a .MP3. The result? Compression!

Quick Recap Of The MP3 Lifecycle:
ˇ Audio CD is placed in CD-ROM drive
ˇ Ripping software extracts audio from the CD in uncompressed .WAV format
ˇ An encoder takes that .WAV and compresses it to .MP3 format so you can trade it with your friends on Kazaa Lite

You'll recall, we had a virgin .WAV file, which was rather large, and along comes this MP3 encoder. And the encoder compresses the .WAV into a relatively small .MP3 file, perfect for trading. And yet it's the same music? How can this be?

You see, our pathetic human ears don't NEED all the audio data that is in the large .WAV file in order for our brains to decide "Hey, I like this song man......". In fact, this is what the MP3 compression format is banking on.

MP3 encoders know that as a pathetic human you won't miss really high frequencies that you can't hear. So what do they do? They cut 'em out, and serve you up an MP3 that to YOU sounds just as good as the CD. There is a little more to it than this. The decisions by the encoder on what to keep and what to throw away are referred to as the psycho-acoustic model of the MP3 encoder. Yes, go on, impress people with that word. The psycho-acoustic model is really what makes one encoder good, and another one crap. For instance, the Xing encoder is terrible because it has a horrible psycho-acoustic model. Which encoder is the best? Keep reading.

This type of compression is known as lossy. Why is it called that? Because you lost something, audio data. Yes, it really is that simple. You know when you use WinZip to compress something to a .ZIP file? At any time you can come back and UnZip that file, and everything will be inside it just as it was, because that's lossless. When converting from WAV to MP3 you lose something, and you DO NOT recover it when converting back from MP3 to WAV. It's gone forever. Lossy. Bye bye audio data.

Quick Recap Of MP3 Encoding:
ˇ Your ears suck, MP3 encoders take advantage of that.
ˇ Xing is a horrible MP3 encoder.
ˇ MP3 is a lossy compression format.

Ok, Got It, So What's The Best Software?

All rippers and all encoders are not created equally. Whether you're aware of it or not, the ripping software you're using right now to make MP3s is using one of the following MP3 encoders (in order of quality):
ˇ Xing (worst MP3 encoder of all time)
ˇ Blade
ˇ Fraunhofer
ˇ LAME (best)

One thing you have to remember is that an MP3 is only as good as the WAV it came from. And where do WAVs come from? They are ripped from CDs. And is all ripping software created equally? It sure as hell isn't!

Have you ever heard a 'crackle', or 'pop', or a short 'blip' in an MP3 you were listening to? This was due to the fact that someone used bad ripping software to rip the .WAV file. That .WAV file was compressed to .MP3, and the defect was still present.

It's like the old saying goes, garbage in, garbage out.

I can tell you unequivocally, absolutely, and without hestitation that there is only ONE piece of ripping software that a serious MP3 creator would ever consider. It's name is Exact Audio Copy (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de) and it's freeware!

Why Only Exact Audio Copy? Why Is [Insert Your Favorite Ripping Software Here] Inferior?

EAC is the only software that offers an option known as 'secure mode'. What is secure mode? In layman's terms it means that your drive reads each section of the CD at least twice. If there are any differences, EAC will attempt to re-read those sections until it finds a match.

Why is this good? Because it means you are assured a 100% perfect digital audio extraction of your CD (in .WAV format naturally). It also means if you've got some CDs that have been scratched, EAC will re-read the scratched section of the CD until it is confident the rip is perfect.

As I mentioned above, there is no reason to bother using a good MP3 encoder on a WAV that is not a perfect copy of the audio on the CD. There is no excuse not to use EAC, it's free.

And no, no other ripper is as good as EAC. Trust me. This is the one you want to use.

Alright, So What's The Best MP3 Encoder?

Oh there's so many choices aren't there? Well, it would be more accurate to say there's many options, but really only one choice you should consider.

You probably already know what a bit-rate is, most of the MP3s you listen to are probably at a bit-rate of 128kb/s, 160kb/s, or 192kb/s. You probably also know that the higher a bit-rate goes, the more disk space you are eating up. (Once again, you see how you don't get something for nothing).

So what's the best bit-rate? Well hold on there, not so fast. We've only talked about constant bit-rates so far. When you have an MP3 that plays at a constant bit-rate of 160kb/s throughout the song, you can say "This MP3 was encoded at 160kb/s CBR." (CBR is an acronym for constant bit-rate).

But what if the bit-rate could fluctuate throughout the song? Perhaps during complex parts of the song it could rise way up, all the way to 320kb/s, to retain all the quality of the original CD sound. And then during 'simple' sections it could lower back down to save disk space. Wouldn't that be the ultimate MP3?

Well luckily other's thought that would be ideal as well, and that's the whole basis of 'Variable Bit Rate' (VBR) encoding.

Let's say Johnny encodes a Metallica song using a constant bit-rate of 160kb/s, and the size of his MP3 turns out to be 4 megabytes.

Along comes Susie, and she decideds to encode the same song, using variable bit-rate. During a heavy guitar riff the bit-rate zooms up to 320kb/s, because that can be difficult for an encoder to encode properly at lower bit-rates. Then during some quiet vocal sections, the bit-rate drops down to 128bk/s, because you don't need a very high bit-rate to maintain the quality of simple vocals.

It turns out Susie ends up with a file that is also 4 megabytes, so who's MP3 is better? Why Susie's of course! She's managed to maintain all of the quality throughout the song. During the heavy guitar riff's, Johnny might find that 160kb/s wasn't enough, and if he listens carefully it won't be as 'crisp' or as pure as the original CD audio.

You may have heard that VBR MP3s had some problems, and a long time ago that was true. However, VBR is now accepted as the best way to encode, and there is only ONE option you need to consider, LAME (http://mitiok.cjb.net).

Yes, that's right, the highest quality MP3 encoder you can get is called LAME, and it's free. Maybe you've heard of LAME, maybe you haven't, but either way it's what you'll want to use!

So What's The Best Setting To Use With LAME?

LAME can be scary. It has so many options, and most people who use it have no idea what half of them do. Luckily there is a group of individuals who have simplified it all for us. There is a community of audiophiles at Audio-Illumination.org who have played around with, tweaked, and tested all the settings more often than most of us ever will in 3 lifetimes.

They also came up with a switch (also known as a command line) that LAME recognizes. When you use this switch you are creating MP3s that sound just as good as the original CD, even to an audiophile using equipment that costs as much as your next car.

So what is this magical switch?

--alt-preset standard

Sound it out. Dash Dash Alt Dash Preset Space Standard.

To LAME, this simple command line represents thousands of hours worth of work by audio freaks, so respect it. :) What this switch does is create an unbelievably high quality MP3, using variable bit rate. Most music you encode with this switch will end up at an average of about 190-200kb/s.

Don't worry if you have no clue how to use LAME, or command line switches, or anything else, as it will all be done for you. LAME integrates nicely with EAC, so it feels like you're using an 'all-in-one' package.

OK, Best Ripper EAC, Best Encoder LAME. Time To Get Started.

Both EAC and LAME can be scary for some people. They were for me too. They each have so many options, and although EAC is getting better, it's still not as user-friendly as say, MusicMatch Jukebox.

However, from my years of experience I've learned all the ropes of each, and I've created a process to help people get up and running within just minutes, using the best possible options.

This way, everyone can create MP3s with the confidence they're doing it correctly, and then learn what each of the options in EAC does as they go along.

So I present to you...

The Chris Myden 5-Step Program To Creating The Best MP3s On Earth

Step 1: Install EAC
Using a good ripper to extract audio from the CD is just as important as the MP3 encoder you use, if not more so. There is only one ripper you should consider and that is Exact Audio Copy. The reason for this is that EAC uses a 'secure mode' to verify that your audio extractions are 100% exact copies of the original CD. So go ahead and download EAC and install it.

EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de)

Step 2: Install LAME MP3 encoder
LAME is the highest quality MP3 encoder currently available. It has been tweaked and tested for hours on end by audiophiles using very expensive equipment. Download the LAME executable and place it in the directory you installed EAC. (Usually C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\) There is no install program for LAME, it's simply an executable file.

LAME (http://mitiok.cjb.net)

Step 2b: (For WindowsXP and Win2k Users Only)
Install ASPI drivers. Windows 95/98/ME already has an ASPI layer built in.

Adaptec ASPI drivers (http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2fProduct%2fASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70)

Step 3: Downloading the .CFG File
Start up Exact Audio Copy. You will see a screen like the one to the right. From the pulldown menu, select which drive you would like to use with EAC. Make a note of which Adapter this drive uses.

Depending on which Adapter your drive uses, download the EAC configuration profile for:
Adapter 0 (http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules/MP3DB/MP3byMyden%5bAdapter0%5d.CFG), Adapter 1 (http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules/MP3DB/MP3byMyden%5bAdapter1%5d.CFG), Adapter 2 (http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules/MP3DB/MP3byMyden%5bAdapter2%5d.CFG) or Adapter 3 (http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules/MP3DB/MP3byMyden%5bAdapter3%5d.CFG)

Save this .CFG file to your Exact Audio Copy profiles directory. (Usually C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\Profiles\) This .CFG file contains what I believe to be the best options for EAC. Obviously you can decide for yourself, but this will get you up and running. Using this configuration will ensure that your rips are 100% perfect, and you are using the highest quality MP3 switches with the LAME encoder.

Step 4: Loading the .CFG File
Close down EAC and then restart it. The .CFG profile you downloaded in step 3 should now be available in the profile menu at the bottom right of your EAC screen. (As shown in the picture to the right).

With the correct .CFG file selected, please be sure you are pointing EAC to the LAME executable. If you saved lame.exe to your C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\ directory you won't have to change anything. Otherwise, from the EAC Menu select compression options -> external compresion and hit the browse button. Point EAC to lame.exe and select OK.

Step 5: Using EAC
Put a CD in the drive you wish to use. If you're hooked up to the 'Net, hit Alt-G to have EAC name your tracks for you (otherwise use F2 to edit track titles). Highlight a track and click on the MP3 button on the left-hand side of the EAC screen.

Additional Tips

How do I name my tracks?

If you're currently hooked up to the 'net, hit Alt-G to access the FreeDB, which contains info about every CD ever made. It will name your track titles for you.

If you don't have net access, highlight the track and press F2.

Cool, I've named my tracks, now what?

From the DATABASE menu, select EDIT CD information. Here you can enter in the artist name, album title, and year of release. Make sure the artist name and album title are correct as they will be used in the naming of the files.

Now from the EDIT menu choose SELECT ALL TRACKS. From the ACTION menu, select COPY COMPRESSED if you are planning on making MP3s.

If you would like to extract pure .WAVS, select COPY UNCOMPRESSED from the ACTION menu.

Alright, now what is it doing?

EAC is now extracting your CD. If you are creating MP3s, a DOS Window will open after each track, and you can watch LAME compress your audio to MP3 format. (Don't close this window, it'll cut off the compression).

If you want windows to hide this DOS Window, you can set that in EAC.

And these are the highest quality MP3s on earth?

Yep, indistinguishable from the original CD sound.

Alright, EAC is done extracting my CD, and it says 'track quality 99.7% !!' I thought EAC made 100% perfect digital copies?

Don't worry, the 'track quality' isn't an indicator of the rip quality. Since you're in a secure mode, EAC uses error correction to make sure the copies are correct.

The percentage is telling you what percent of the track was ripped without EAC needing to use error correction.

The only time you have an imperfect copy is when EAC reports a 'read error', 'synch error' or 'suspicious position'.

This means that even EAC's error correction wasn't able to extract the track perfectly, and you may wish to try ripping the track again. If it's really hootched, get a good CD scratch removal kit, and try again.

Hey man, my drive supports C2 error correction! It says so right on the box!! Why shouldn't I use it?

Unfortunately C2 error correction is not 100% reliable with ANY drive, even Plextors (which have the most accurate C2 error correction).

Even the author of EAC himself has said that he has never seen 100% C2 accuracy with any drive. This is why we have C2 disabled on our 'optimum settings' list.

If you want to enable it, go ahead, but don't come crying to me when EAC misses a scratch on your CD.

By the way, this is a limitation caused more by the hardware than EAC. EAC does the best it can with what it's given.

So if you want to be guaranteed that EAC will extract perfectly, keep the settings we gave you.

These MP3s we're making, what bit rate are they? What's alt preset standard ?

Alt Preset Standard was developed for the LAME encoder by the audiophiles at Audio-Illumination.org (http://www.audio-illumination.org)

It was designed to create MP3s that sound exactly like the CD original, even to audio freaks using equipment that cost more than your car.

It uses variable bit-rate, which makes the bit-rate fluctuate based on the complexity of the music. More complex sections of music get higher bit-rates to maintain CD quality. Simpler sections are given lower bitrates, while still maintaining CD quality, to minimize the file size. From experience, I can tell you that most average out to about 192kb/s, but are MUCH higher quality than Constant Bit Rate 192kb/s MP3s.

Alt Preset Standard does not use regular command line 'switches', like --r3mix did. It uses special code built into the LAME encoder.

For more info, check out Audio-Illumination.org, which is full of very smart people, on the bleeding edge of audio compression.

The MP3s I'm making with your method, when I play them in Windows Media Player, the time doesn't display correctly!

Yeah, Windows Media Player sucks ass, and can't handle displaying time lengths correctly with VBR mp3s. Get a real MP3 player, any other one on earth, and you'll be fine.

I've heard there are some other switches, like Alt Preset Extreme, is that better than Alt Preset Standard?

Alt Preset Extreme will create MP3s with bit-rates that average out to 220-240kb/s. Some people automatically assume it must be a higher quality preset, which isn't the case.

There are very, very, very, very, very, very, few cases where Alt Preset Standard can't replicate the original audio perfectly. (And even when it can't, most of us regular humans would never notice).

From reading Audio-Illumination, even the LAME developers will tell you that in such cases, Alt Preset Extreme rarely makes a difference, and the difference between the two presets is mostly theoretical.

So why even have it? I dunno, I guess it makes some people feel better. It's just a waste of disk space though. Alt Preset Standard was designed to be exactly that, the standard. Otherwise it would be called 'Alt Preset Almost The Standard But Really Not Quite There Yet So Use A Different Option'.

Is there a database anywhere with drive features and offsets?

Sure is, check out the database at SatCP.

Remember, C2 error correction doesn't work 100% correctly with any drive, despite what people have entered in this database, or the box your drive came in claims.

The SatCP Website also has many excellent EAC tutorials, and can help you learn about all the advanced features in EAC.

Related Links:

Chris Myden dot com (http://www.chrismyden.com/)

Exact Audio Copy Homepage (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de)

SATCP's EAC Tutorial (http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm)
An extremely in-depth tutorial that will teach you what each feature in EAC does.

BROCKSTER
03-20-2003, 07:52 PM
tut tut tut paul u posted twice :lol: :lol:

cool document :lol:

Benno
03-20-2003, 08:19 PM
Very nice Paul.

Thanks. B)

OcramC
03-20-2003, 08:49 PM
wow. now that was a big read

Muse
03-20-2003, 09:14 PM
I am using this ripping method for about 4 months now. It''s addictive. The qualitiy is great. I cannot hear any difference between the original cd and the mp3's.

Too bad it's not easy to download these mp3's. You have to join obscure groups at Direct Connect to be able to download them.

I have been trying to persuade users there to switch to Kazaa, but that has not been a success.

Maybe setting up a community in kazaa with the help of Kazupernodes can get this of the ground.

Anyone interested?

Gainclone
03-22-2003, 06:34 AM
99.9% of the mp3 files on Kazaa has shit mp3 quality. :angry:
It's encoded with other encoders than lame or with lame without the --alt-preset standard or similar.

Result. Gpsyko or other worser psycho-acoustic model is used instead of the better nspsytune psycho-acoustic model. Also the lowpass filter begins to cut off in still hearable regions (under 18 kHz) in many cases. Therefore encode with lame 3.90.2 (version that still gives best audio quality although more than a year old) with the --alt-preset standard switch or extreme, insane alternative.

Also 99% of all audio files with CBR >192 kbps and wav are originally from somebodies 128 kbps CBR mp3. That means the quality is very bad.
You can see this using Cool Edit Pro and checking the frequency spectrum.
Often there is a distinct decrease of signal intensity at 16 kHz for almost all files.
This reveals that the files are in fact reconstructed from 128 kbps files.

Then some poeple have made 256 kbps, 320 kbps mp3s of the reconstructed wav (originally from 128 kbps). The quality is then worse than in the beginning since reencoding results in even crappier quality than originally. Also the file has now become big. Watch out for this. Most of these files are tagged "unknown" in the Album field. Don't spread these files. Delete them please.

Only use MP3Gain for normalizing / scaling. :rolleyes:

Use MP3 Tag Studio (a mass tagging program) or something to put used Lame version and -aps or -ape or -api info into comment field of your high quality made mp3s. Also put info about if you have used EAC in Secure mode and if you have used MP3Gain. Many would like to have this info.

Example Commentfield: EAC secure / Lame 3.90.2 -aps / MP3Gain Track Gain
or for instance EAC secure / Lame 3.92 -api / MP3Gain Album Gain
if you have used --alt-preset insane for instance
or something similar. The above is just my suggestion.

Then we can just put Lame -aps or something in the search field as long as these words are in there somewhere.

DO THIS IF YOU EXPECT SOMEBODY TO FIND YOUR HIGH QUALITY MP3S

Unfortunately there are some files that have these comment field tags already although they are CBR.
I have found 128 kbps 192 kbps and other files wrongly tagged. But as of today they are still limited in amount.

Somebody also seems to have put info of such kind in the category field wich also is searchable in Kazaa. Don't know if that's such a good idee though. A suggestion from me is that everybody also put their own "homemade sign, avatar, nickname kind of" comment in the end of the comment field or somewere else.
It could be a way to go.

For instance put "High Quality" or "***" or "Hi there" or whatever strange in the comment field at the end but keep it the same for all your mp3 made shared files. And try not to use somebody elses signs. If somebody doesn't like the way thay are made it will be possible to directly "boycott" them then.

Remeber the category field should preferably be used as supposed.

Anybody has a better Idee for Kazaa use. Please share them then.

--------------
There is a way to check quality somewhat.
Use EncSpot and see if the downloaded file is Lame 3.90.2 or similar and if nspsytune is used.
To see if gpsyko or nspsytune is used you must tag the Lame Tag alternative in Encspots Options/Settings/Columns window.
Also only accept files that have text describing wich album the song is from when downloading. Something else than unknown should be written in the album field otherwise the file might be (actually most probably is) reencoded from a previously 128 kpbs CBR mp3 => wav decoded file.

People wanting to be able to listen to the downloaded mp3 files on their regular CD player do this so don't blame them. They just forgot to do this outside of the folders that are shared by their Kazaa so somebody else on the net "happily" found these wav files unaware of the original quality. The one that did the 320 kbps mp3 encoding probably found the wav file on the net and 99% of the wavs found with Kazaa are reconstructed from low CBR rate sources. It's in most cases not given an Album description in the Album field. This results in that the Album field says Unknown happily for us. :)

So if you download high bitrate mp3 files be sure there is a description of what original album they are from otherwise you are fouled.

Good luck in your search for quality mp3 files. It's hard. Let's hope for a better future.

/ Gainclone B)

Muse
03-22-2003, 08:00 AM
It is not that hard to locate the files. Most comment tags are filled with this comment: "MP3 Help - www.ChrisMyden.com". You can use this for your search for instance.

In the Direct Connect communities sharing these so called '"uberstandard" files it is agreed that everyone shares the logfile of the EACrip. You can search for these logs and if we can agree to add the sig2dathashes to the log you can't go wrong.

All kazaa users interested in these files can connect to the same Supernode and the hashes will work this time. :)

But I have to sat that using Soulseek may be an easier way to share these files. Check this thread (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=20333).

Afronaut
03-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Woah ppl! Way cool topic!

I have made a "offline" version off Pauls pinned tutorial and im sharing it in SoulSeek and Kazaa.
Its the exact same document, i just chanced them colors for more "user-friendly", background is black and text is "almost" white. ;) I dont like to stare at bright screen too long -> i get the headache.
It looks like im gonna have to add more info on the offline version, copying from this topic (thank you cainclone) as more info is added.
I hope nobody has any problems me ripping the info from here! :P But if there is a problem, PM me.
Im also sharing the tools what is needed.
Why i do this? I've been looking for some really rare songs in Kazaa for really long time and found some versions which unfortunately have been really badly ripped (64k), thus, i want to share the info and tools of "how to make perfect mp3's."
Gonna have to keep my eyes on this one. :ph34r: :blink: :ph34r:
Cheers:

-GS-

Afronaut
03-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Muse@20 March 2003 - 22:14
Maybe setting up a community in kazaa with the help of Kazupernodes can get this of the ground.

Anyone interested?
I am interested, but im not sure how much i can "contibute" in the future, as i have a lot of things coming up, mainly music related... ;)
But im interested, and i would help if i can.

-GS-

oldmancan
03-23-2003, 05:26 PM
;) Right on! Thanks for an excellent post. I've copied that post for distribution.

Cheers,OMC

sleepnmojo
03-23-2003, 08:57 PM
Nice post. But why stick to mp3, why not ogg. Better quality, can be vbr. This keeps the filesize down, and the quality up. All you mp3 encoders, try ogg for a while, and compare the differences. You should hear a better sound quality in your ogg releases. Ogg is also free. The audio one is called ogg vorbis. There is a video one, but still in alpha i believe.

DataMore
03-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Quote from EAC's main website:

EAC is a new audio grabber for CD-ROM drives.

:blink: New?!!!!!!!! :blink:

:o EAC hasn't been updated since May 22nd of 2002! WTF is that?! :blink:
It's still version 0.9 beta 4, for almost a year now... :blink:
I don&#39;t believe that EAC is so perfect that a beta version doesn&#39;t have any bugs... <_<

Also that Chris Myden dude&#39;s tutorial has to be updated...
The best Lame encoder so far is version 3.92 and not 3.90.2. <_<
There is a new Lame 3.93 version, but it&#39;s been known to have serious issues, so stick with the best one so far - version 3.92. ;)

Chilly
03-23-2003, 11:20 PM
I have to do all that to get a High Quality Mp3 File :o

I will post it to my mate, then when he knows how to do it, he can do mine :lol:

Cheers for the post VB :rolleyes: ;)

Afronaut
03-24-2003, 02:26 AM
If somebody has some links, i would value that a lot.
Not that im lazy too look the info myself but to compare
my search results what other ppl has found out..
There is so many ways to search, and
i dont believe that my way is the ultimate.

For example, if ogg files has "better quality" than mp3&#39;s, is there a site
somewhere that discuss it or is it a personal opinion, matter of taste, or whatnot.

Cheers: -GS-

Muse
03-24-2003, 12:35 PM
GS.

My advise; don&#39;t get involved discussions about what format is better ogg or mp3 and which ripper is best Lame, Fraunhofer whatever... :(

A normal person can&#39;t hear the difference and what&#39;s worst of all.....
you tend to forget that good music has nothing to do with sound quality.

I have collected dozens of albums that have been ripped according to the Chris Myden Guide.
They sound exactly like the original cd. That&#39;s all I want and I dont care how old the ripper or encoder was.

Sometimes older is better, you will learn that once you have passed 40 ;)

Afronaut
03-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Muse@24 March 2003 - 13:35
Sometimes older is better, you will learn that once you have passed 40 ;)
True, i&#39;d like to chance the number for around 30 tho... atleast for few more years. :lol:
Im still gonna do my mp3&#39;s as said in pinned topic. I like what i hear.
About my last post:
I was trying to play intelligent. Trying to provoke the intellectual ppl here to add some
posts. :ph34r: :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:

-----&#62; still waiting. :lol:

I KNOW we got some smart ppl here, lets hear it&#33; :blink:

Peace: -GS-

VB
03-24-2003, 02:57 PM
I will perhaps make a nice installer for EAC + LAME + All correct settings predefined.
With that ripping an album into high quality MP3 files should be just a few mouseclicks work. Even for n00bs.

Got some important exams this week. So it will probably be next week.

Muse
03-24-2003, 03:53 PM
That would be a great thing Paul.

I know people are scared off because of all the procedures you have to go through know.

Let alone the creeps that they get from strict rules of the Ubernet clan.

This ripping and encoding method deserves to become the new standard.

zapjb
03-24-2003, 05:31 PM
Yes Paul that would be great&#33; Got at least 1 question. Will installing this interfere with Nero burning software? I heard having more than 1 burn program can cause conflicts.

DataMore
03-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@24 March 2003 - 17:31
Yes Paul that would be great&#33; Got at least 1 question. Will installing this interfere with Nero burning software? I heard having more than 1 burn program can cause conflicts.
EAC isn&#39;t a CD burner, it&#39;s a CD ripper. ;)

philco
03-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@24 March 2003 - 18:31
No :)

philco
03-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Paul@24 March 2003 - 15:57
I will perhaps make a nice installer for EAC + LAME + All correct settings predefined.
With that ripping an album into high quality MP3 files should be just a few mouseclicks work. Even for n00bs.

Got some important exams this week. So it will probably be next week.
Good idea...
Setting it all up is a pain sometimes.

VB
03-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@24 March 2003 - 18:31
Well, EAC has some burning functionality, but it won&#39;t interfere with other programs at all.

One of the few programs that conflict with other burning programs is Easy CD Creator.

Gainclone
04-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Sorry DataMore I think you are wrong about the best version of Lame B)

Also that Chris Myden dude&#39;s tutorial has to be updated...
The best Lame encoder so far is version 3.92 and not 3.90.2.
There is a new Lame 3.93 version, but it&#39;s been known to have serious issues, so stick with the best one so far - version 3.92.
So maybe DataMore should get updated instead. B)

Just look at Hydrogen Audio in the second Sticky thread.
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=SF&f=15

And it&#39;s Dibrom saying 3.90.2 is recommended.
He is the developer that tuned and tested the --alt-presets for Lame.
So he shurely should know.
But 3.92 is quite similar to the 3.90.2 version so you might not be able to hear the difference in quality (better or worse). We are talking about so small differences in quality that it&#39;s picky as hell here.
But With Lame 3.92 or later the --alt-presets are not tuned by Dibrom as far as i know.

So to put it short there is no evidence that vers. 3.92 or any other version than 3.90.2 gives better quality than 3.90.2

Also EasyLAME uses vers. 3.90.2 for the same reason. See their site
http://free.pages.at/volcano/lame/index_en.html

Use EasyLame (= RazorLAME with nice configurations + LAME 3.90.2) for your encoding is my suggestion. Or use EAC and LAME 3.90.2

Hope this clears things up.
Sorry for beeing late with this reply. :)

Gainclone
04-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Hello Everybody.
I have made a guide for making high quality mp3 files. :)

Just copy what you like.
If you have any comments I would be glad to hear about them.

Edited the text today.

Start---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guide for making very High Quality MP3 files.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---
Get EAC (Exact Audio Copy).
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

It&#39;s a CD ripper. It has secure mode.
CDex also has secure mode but most poeple seem to prefer EAC.
Using secure mode insures a perfect copy of the CD.
EAC has many options and is a little hard for a novice to get into but it&#39;s the best.

---
Download a "profile" for EAC. pick a .cfg from Chris Mydens site.
http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules.php...E&file=painless (http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=Elite_DAE&file=painless)

In EAC use menu.
EAC / Load Profile choose the above downloaded .cfg file
Do your own alterations (if needed) until you are happy and save as your own profile.

---
Get EasyLame ver.13
http://www.benjamin-lebsanft.de/files/easylame13en.exe

It Contains RazorLame wich is a nice Lame Front End.
Front End means it&#39;s a user friendly interface with windows menus.

It also contains Lame v3.90.2 wich is the version to use for highest quality MP3.
Vers. 3.90.2 is recommended to use.
For more about this see (only if you don&#39;t believe me or must look at the details yourself)
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act...=ST&f=15&t=478& (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=478&)

3.90.2, 3.91 are the same but different compilations so the end quality is the same.
3.91 is a little slower in the encoding. (It is compiled by another developer actually).
3.92 is also gives acceptable quality since only small alterations are made from 3.90.2.
The --alt-presets are not tuned (optimized in sound quality) with any version later than 3.90.2 though.
3.93 is very bad. Gives low quality mp3 files. Some "test" code was wrongly written.
3.94 is the latest version used for alfa testing as I write this.

Quality is less tested with any version after 3.90.2.
So all version after 3.90.2 should rather be seen as alpha versions for a future product.
They can be defect somewere since not finally tuned and tested.

---
Use the --alt-preset standard, --alt-preset extreme or --alt-preset insane options.

They are in normal language abreviated as -aps -ape -api. With EasyLame this should be easy.
They use code level tweaks. So there is no comparable parameter settings for this.

standard gives VBR (Variablre Bit Rate) around 180 - 220 kbit/s. Lowpass filter set to 19000 Hz is used.
extreme gives VBR (Variablre Bit Rate) around 220 - 270 kbit/s. Lowpass filter set to 19600 Hz is used.
insane gives CBR (Constant Bir Rate) at 320 kbps. Lowpass filter set to 20600 Hz is used (=CD bandwith).

VBR means it will use the bit rate needed to get "perfect" sound for every part of the song.
Silent part will for instance use low bitrate. In Winamp the bitrate indicator will flip a lot.
There is nothing wrong with this. With a change in the Winamp preferences this can be changed.

According to the developers at Hydrogen Audio, Lame 3.90.2 -aps mp3 is undistinguishable from
the original music CD for most music when using blind tests. Let&#39;s say for >90% of the music.
-aps is what the developers (especially Dibrom) recommend to use.

If you want to get better quality (that you possibly will not hear) the mp3 file will be bigger.
I personally use -ape.
I can not hear any difference between -ape and -api or the original CD whatsoever on my music.
But I think I can on -aps.
But the guys at Hydrogen Audio says it is the placebo effect.
To be sure I have to do extensive blind tests and that is for another time.

The artifacts (hard to encode special sounds) that the mp3 formats can&#39;t encode properly
will seldom be fixed by using -api instead of -ape.
-api files get really big compared to what mp3 files normally are.

If you want better quality than -ape i suggest you use a lossless format instead.

---
Get MP3Gain at
http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/

Use it to Normalize / Scale (=same thing here but called different in different programs)
so there will be no clipping.

Run MP3Gain.
Choose Options / Advanced...
Mark the Enable "Maximizing" features.
Click on OK.
Add Folder (choose your MP3 folder).
Choose Modify Gain / Apply "Max No-Clip Gain For Each File" or
"Max No-Clip Gain For Album" option.
I personally use the Apply "Max No-Clip Gain For Each File" menu option.

This should be done after encoding the mp3 file.
Normally the "No clipping" Scaling / Normalizing is done first but then the original data will be destroyed somewhat.
By doing it afterwards with MP3Gain it can be done in a lossless / perfect way.

Actually MP3Gain adjusts the main volume info bits in each mp3 frame of the file.
So no original mp3 data will be destroyed (no original bit alteration and no rounding errors).

Warning: The volume of each mp3 file will be altered somewhat. I think to the better.
Also there will be no clipping during decoding (playing) of the mp3 files.
If it&#39;s of big importance for you to keep the original volume or relative volume between songs consider
not doing this. It&#39;s ireversible (practically at least).

Once point 5 is done you must restart from scratch if you dont like the result unless
you have a copy of the unmodified mp3 files elsewere.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
6. 7. and 8. are related to filesharing and searching on Kazaa.
SKIP THIS if you won&#39;t do that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---
Filesharing if internet connected.

Use KazaaLight.
It is the advertisment / banner free version so it is in fact better than using Kazaa.
Or if you prefer use DC++ (advertisment free Direct Connect).
For DC++ you need a decently big hard drive and a high speed connection.
Also it is less user friendly than Kazaa to me.

Before sharing your files please use MP3-Tag Studio 3 from
http://www.magnusbrading.com/mp3ts/
or similar mass tagging tool.
With MP3 Tag Studio you will have to live with an advertisment banner to be able to mass tag.
And that is what you have to do. Do not bother about the banner.
It is hardcoded in the program code so there is no spying / spamming on you.

Check (click on) the Use explorer browser tree box.
Click to your mp3 file directory.
Click on the Mass set tags/flags "page".
Check the Comment Field box.
In the Comment field write:
Lame 3.90.2 -ape / EAC Secure / MP3Gain Apply "Max No-Clip Gain For Each File"
or whatever appropriate.
Another example is:
Lame 3.90.2 -aps / EAC Secure / MP3Gain Apply "Max No-Clip Gain For Album"

Put the most important first.
Kazaa seems to cut the description text when creating a description field that show up at the users.
Only the 28 first letters are copyied to the description field in Kazaa.
I just found this "bug". So put Lame info first because that is what you probably search for.
It is possible to manually edit the description field and fill in the cut text in "My Kazaa"
for EVERY file one at a time but that is a lot of boring work.

Check the include subdirs option under the Execute &#33; button.
Then click on Execute &#33; button.
Done.

When searching for high quality mp3 files with Kazaa Lite the above is important and useful info to have.

---
Search tips for Kazaa.

In Kazaa Lite Search. Choose Audio and type:
Lame -ape or
Lame -aps
Lame -api
Check the Auto Search More and then click on Search Now.

Other good search strings are
preset standard
preset extreme
preset insane

Today there aren&#39;t many files yet.
You can also search for:
ChrisMyden
It is part of the
MP3 Help - www.ChrisMyden.com
description that all UberNöde Standard files have in their comment field.

You will then find files originally made for the UberNöde standard.
They are ripped with EAC in secure mode and encoded with Lame 3.90.2 or later with -aps -ape or -api options.
Almost all -aps.
Unfortunately a lot are made with other Lame versions wich are not tested for quality.
Especially Lame 3.93 encoding gives bad quality results.

You can use the EncSpot program from:
http://cd-rw.org/software/audio_software/m...ols/encspot.cfm (http://cd-rw.org/software/audio_software/mp3_tools/encspot.cfm)
to see what have been used.
If you use it please do Options / Settings / Columns and check the Lame Tag option.
It will give you more info for the Lame mp3 files.

---
Another search tip for Kazaa.

Search for .flac and .ape lossless files in the Everything "Media Type".
Kazaa does not know this is audio.
These are made with lossless encoders.
Very few files today.
Only the files where Media Type is blank are interesting.
With this you can share your original CD music without loss.
Files are bigger than mp3.

---
Lossless encoding.

Use FLAC or Monkeys Audio for encoding.
FLAC has a stream format that is fully open to the public to be used for any purpose.
Compared to Monkeys Audio (.ape) FLAC is streamable (like internet radio braodcasting) and easier to decode.
Because it is easier to decode it has more hardware support.

Monkeys Audio is newer and becoming more and more popular.
It has a nice user interface and compresses the data slightly more
(but almost insignificantly more) than FLAC.
It also has open code but the "free" license is more restricted.
I guess it might get hardware support in the future if it does not already.
It will probably not become streamable (like internet radio braodcasting) though.
Just use one of these for lossless encoding.

---
Software tip for high quality listening.

Use the Foobar2000 player. Downloadable from
http://foobar2000.hydrogenaudio.org/

It gives best quality. Especially when you use the equalizer.
You can get good quality using Winamp but then you must do some changes.

Foobar2000 has one BIG anoying thing.
It has no scrolling capability... (Grrr Very bad).
If you must have this (and it for shore is usable) don&#39;t change from Winamp.
You will have to listen from beginning to end of mp3 with Foobar2000.
There is support for the .ogg format from scratch in Foobar2000.
Plugins for .flac and .ape (Monkeys Audio) is also available.

Winamp also has plugins for all this of course.

-------------------------------------------------
11. and 12. Has nothing to do with mp3 encoding. Just Hardware tips.
SKIP THIS if it&#39;s not interesting.
-------------------------------------------------

---
Hardware tips for high quality listening.

Most soundcards give bad quality sound.
And the speakers and possibly your amplifier probably suck.

If you have a CD burner, getting a hardware CD players with mp3 playing capability is a
good and not to expensive alternative.
Also get a pair of decent headphones.

I got a pair of these (headphones)
http://www.pro2.com.tw/b333p.htm
in a shop nearby.
They have a good frequency response.
They are not to expensive (around 30 Euro).

Now you are going to tell me i can&#39;t hear anything ouside of 20-20 000 Hz or something.
Yes you are right but the specification of 20 - 20 000 Hz on headphones means they have 3 dB signal
attenuation at 20 and 20 000 Hz. That is what filter specifications usually mean.
This means half sound power at these frequencies.
And I bet you can hear if the bass is damped to half (it is much) at 20 Hz.

When you buy a mp3 CD player i must warn you that i have read Sony got problems with 320 kbps frames.
So VBR like Lame -aps, -ape, -api will give you bad sound on at least some of Sonys products.

A discussion about different mp3 players can be found here
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act...ST&f=15&t=6788& (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=6788&)

---
Tip for the amplifier building freaks.
This really begins to be off topic but it&#39;s a hobby of mine. You might like it.

Build a Gainclone amplifier. Warning. Takes ALL your time. Not only all your spare time.
In that regard it&#39;s much cheaper to buy an amplifier.

Although it seems simple at first it&#39;s a lot to do.
Some Links.
http://home.ca.inter.net/~cfraser/Gainclonehome.htm
But the schematics here is not the best / latest version. It&#39;s an old positive feedback one.
Good start page for newbies though. Another one is.
http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaud...dio/diy_gc.html (http://www.geocities.com/rjm003.geo/rjmaudio/diy_gc.html)

The next link is to the Forum about Gainclone.
Do click on the electronic symbols on top to get the latest and best schematics.
http://pub134.ezboard.com/ffakeidsfrm1

I order my components at
http://www.rs-components.com/
but I use their local website for my country.

And for loudspeaker building things become a lot harder.
Much more expensive and a lot more to learn.
I give you just one link for the sake of it.
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/
I am less experienced in this field.

Written the 5:th of april 2003.
Hope this helps. Happy mp3 encoding / listening.
End-------------------------------------------------------------------

Since Paul didn&#39;t have an e-mail possibility i posted the text i wanted to send him.
Might interest other people reading this thread also. :unsure:

/ Gainclone :rolleyes:

Muse
04-02-2003, 07:21 AM
Nice job Gainclone&#33;

To enlarge the chance of finding these HQ files it may be a good idea if we share them in the same part of the Fatsttracknetwork.

To get this going we could agree to connect to the same set of Supernodes.

Maybe the ones that are mentioned in my sig?

disenchanted
04-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Places to find Uberstandard Albums (In no particular order)
1. Direct Connect Hubs
2. Newsgroups
3. Edonkey Network
4. Shareaza (Gnutella Network)

mobboss01
04-10-2003, 12:11 AM
First of all, much thanks to Paul and Gainclone for introducing me and enhancing my mp3 experience. I knew mp3 would be mastered soon, but never had the desire to rip HQ before I went to soulseek and heard music at 192kb/s. Before I was at 128kb/s. Now with larger hard drives, a HQ level is a must. I love the sound quality that I heard my first VBR song and will enjoy making my collection for you all.

I, however, have a few questions. I have been noticing that my DVD-ROM is ripping movies at a slow rate of 1.2x. Now that I am also doing CD rips, I was wondering what rate you guys are ripping CD&#39;s? I know my ROM is shot...and have a Toshiba on its way. What speeds can I expect with a proper ROM? At the rate this one is going, it&#39;ll take me an hour to turn my CD files into MP3. That is unacceptable, I know. Thanks for the input.

Oh, and why do I hear a beep sound from my computer every so often while running EAC?

EDIT: Another question: Do you set the rip at actual or at 4.0x (one option I saw)? Actual went as it says, the same time it would take to listen to the CD. I guess at 4.0x we risk clarity or sound reprodution quality. Let me know.

mobboss01
04-10-2003, 02:26 AM
Alright, I want to thank you both for the input yet again. I was able to tweak the programs to my needs and I am having success in LAME encoding. What a difference&#33; I just set the rip speed for 4.0x and ripped fast. Got the job done at a fraction of the time too. :D

I urge everyone who rips to use these methods. It would enable all of us to enjoy music the way it was originally mastered to be heard. I am in the process of properly tagging these files with "VBR / LAME" as a comment

Tormentor
04-10-2003, 02:49 AM
Thank for the great tip paul

mobboss01
04-12-2003, 06:05 AM
Foobar2000 player. Songs do sound clear with this little beauty. Great recommendation.

Muse
04-13-2003, 08:29 AM
There is a public hub at Direct Connect (or DC++) where you can get lots of Uberstandard albums.

It is called Ubernode 54.

The adress can be found in the Elite DAE Forum at www.chrismyden.com (http://www.chrismyden.com) Topic Public Hub.

Have fun ;)

MOTOMATT
04-14-2003, 08:48 PM
:)Paul i sure hope you can make a nice installer for EAC + LAME + All correct settings predefined.
I would love to us it :)

outofspace7
04-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Paul..just try this....http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

starion
04-25-2003, 09:17 AM
I just wanted to say that EAC works excellently. I tried using a different mp3 encoder that uses the LAME format. And there was a drastic difference in the quality.

Thanx for posting the tutorial.

starion

venom_il
04-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Great guide &#33;

got anything similar for DVD ripping ?

iHadYourMomLastNight
08-01-2003, 08:55 PM
EAC does sound interesting. but the truth is , most top cd burning software come with cd rippers installed. and now dayz you can just rip them straight to mp3 format without loooosing any quality. im not old and im not young but i do still have a good ear for music and these programs all work well. roxio&#39;s easy cd creator line up, musicmatch, nero, etc.etc. even free rip worx good and most of them have vbr options availabe. and i must say they are quite easy to use.
i like the all in one combo software ........saves time.
oh yeah and if vbr is not wat you want most of them have constant bit rate that ranges from 96kbs/s - 320kbs/s
give em a shot.......most newer pc&#39;s come with these applications already installed&#33;&#33;&#33;
rip it up&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink:

Gre1
08-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Venom there are dvd ripping guides all over the internet try www.dvdrhelp.com

iHadYourMomLastNight
08-01-2003, 09:37 PM
Nero, EAsy CD/DVD creator 6, and many more all rip and burn DvD&#39;s.
goto Download.com&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink:

WannaPlay
08-03-2003, 10:49 PM
Problem with this, I&#39;ve done everything paul said, however the software doesn&#39;t seem to be detecting that the cd is actually in the drive :blink: I&#39;ve got 2 different cd drives and it doesn&#39;t seem to detect the cd&#39;s in both drives although it does detect both drives :blink: Tryed it with different cd&#39;s no difference.

Also downloaded both beta versions of EAC 9.4 beta and 9.5 prebeta3 both didn&#39;t detect cd????????????

The first drive is a compact disc and dvd rom combo and the second drive is a LG high speed compact disc cd rewritable...i&#39;ve had no problems what so ever with them in the past.

What&#39;s going on????????????????????

iHadYourMomLastNight
08-04-2003, 01:17 AM
dude your wasting valuable time trying to figure out that software. while in the meantime you could be d/ling and burning cd&#39;s with already proven reliable software. time is of the essence. d/l while the d/ling is good. im not taking anything away from EAC or Lamo but i have several burn programs that do everthing that was posted above and more and with just one program. why have so many when one is sufficient&#33; :blink:

WannaPlay
08-05-2003, 08:42 AM
What other software do u recommend, what&#39;s the software u use then?????????

iHadYourMomLastNight
08-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by iHadYourMomLastNight@KaZaa@1 August 2003 - 21:37
Nero, EAsy CD/DVD creator 6, and many more all rip and burn DvD&#39;s.
goto Download.com&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink:
dude there are so many&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; Musicmatch is what i use to organize and rip mp3&#39;&#39;s or there are many at Download.com that will work as well with easy to use instructions&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; good lux&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink:

WannaPlay
08-12-2003, 12:39 PM
thx mate&#33;&#33;&#33; ;)

iHadYourMomLastNight
08-12-2003, 07:36 PM
:blink: NP&#33; :blink:

internet.news
08-20-2003, 01:43 AM
nice, i normally use audiograbber to rip cds :)

Pohli
10-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Where can I get older LAME-versions than 3.93.1, like 3.92 and 3.90.2?

John Doe1
10-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Hi &#33;

About that hole mp3 encoding thing...Thomson has lately launched the mp3 pro. Same thing as a mp3 but around twice smaller.

Is it good ? Did somebody tested it ?

Thanks

toadster123
12-08-2003, 03:27 AM
yea i was wondering about that Mp3 PRO codec.....

I think i have it on my pc... but i dont think i ahve any mp3 pro encoded mp3&#39;s...

THe reason i wonder if its good or not is because my RCA Lyra HDD mp3 jukebox suports mp3Pro...and it the files are like half the size...then i can fit twice the music&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Anyone know if its any good , or if its supports VBR?

Albon
12-22-2003, 12:43 PM
:blink: Major Headache after this Topic&#39;s "page_read"
... Other Options For Ripping And Encoding By Albon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIPPING / ENCODING
o-------------------------------------------------o
Solution: Winamp v2.91
Imput: CD Reader v
Output: Chung-Yu&#39;s MP3 Writer v3.0
Config: ...vbr
Equaliser: Off
DSP: Off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OTHER FEATURED PLUGINS
o-------------------------------------------------o
General: SpyAmp 1.63 [ when on normal "play" alows those aware 2 DL ]
General: Yahoo Messenger Status Plugin v0.5.1 [ self explanatory ]
General: Large Display Plugin v0.1 [ Winamp Screensaver Fillu Functional ]
DSP: Enhancer v0.17 [ Makes even the "Lamest" MP3 much more "Brilliant"

NOTE: CD Reader Plugin is required to "enable" the equaliser when playing a CD
Winamp 2x is FREE and is required to perform these & many more tasks
There are Tons of FREE plugins available to the Winamp 2x
Winamp v3 and v5 (http://www.winamp.com) are available but is limited in available Free plugins.

To Get All Older Versions of Winamp [ www.oldversion.com (http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp) ]

A Fully Functional Completely Bug Free Directory is available
Search4: Winamp v2.91 [ Fully Loaded ].zip

ijc_2003
12-22-2003, 08:10 PM
EAC is the best for ripping with lame encoder, i heard lame music ripped @ 128cbr high quality and it sounds better than most 160 and 192 ripped with other shitty programs EAC IS THE KING WITHOUT A DOUBT it might take longer but quality is more important even if i rip @ 128kbs, my local market rip everything with EAC & lame @ 128cbr and the quality is good enough to share.

and vbr sucks, when i burn an album for the car and its in vbr mode and its over 200kbs, the speakers in the car nearly blow up as the bitrate is way beyond speakers and i talking about 2x 300 watts speakers with a 4x 45 watts cd player.

yorwhil
01-18-2004, 08:17 AM
i have a question that i hope you can answer. I want to make these high quality mp3s from .flac or .ape files that i can get off "lossless" newsgroups using Newsbin Pro. This way i don&#39;t have to buy the cd. With .ape or .flac I can decompress back to a .wav file also without loss in quality. At this point I would like to be able to compress to high quality mp3. How would I use lame at this point to do it?

Entity101
01-18-2004, 01:36 PM
You can find lots of software to encode WAV to MP3 here:

http://mitiok.cjb.net/

h1
01-19-2004, 06:06 AM
Monkey&#39;s Audio has an option built in to convert APE back to MP3, with the encoder of your choice.

It&#39;s doesn&#39;t supply any though, so you&#39;ll need LAME on hand.

ZeroTolerance
01-23-2004, 11:47 PM
lame is hard for me any other good music programs out there?

celit88
02-08-2004, 08:15 AM
I use CDex to convert my cd&#39;s to mp3 and i love my music just as much. Current version of 1.51......lovin it..............anyone else have any problems or concerns with this program?

NightStalker
02-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by celit88@8 February 2004 - 03:15
I use CDex to convert my cd&#39;s to mp3 and i love my music just as much. Current version of 1.51......lovin it..............anyone else have any problems or concerns with this program?
That is also what I use, I had problems with EAC so I converted to CDex. B)

investe
03-06-2004, 12:46 AM
I use the experience for of this group: http://www.jthz.com/mp3/

The result for my files is always very good.

The result for my files is always very good following the suggestion of the group.

I hope this comes to contribute "a little" with the list.

Thank you for your read.

killakella
02-21-2005, 01:00 AM
Is Chrismyden.com no longer?? I can't get the .cfg files.