PDA

View Full Version : Ike Re Doom Topics Being Merged

(>Zero Cool<)
08-09-2004, 01:15 AM
hi

i have posted in here, rather than &#39;about this forum&#39;, as i would like the reaction of others who inhabit gameworld, hope you don&#39;t mind.

I understand, sorta, the decision to try and keep the doom topics together but i feel at this point is an unwise decision.

As the game is so popular and is just out there are a lot of things to discuss, gameplay, tips, mods, machine specs etc. To have all of these in one thread makes it nigh impossble to discuss as people are posting replies constantly to different subjects. Another problem i have is that there are a number of spoilers in the thread, whereby people asking for tips or giving info about the game at stages many of us have not reached, and therefore spoiling the shock or excitment. I don&#39;t wanna post a link to mod links only to find out that the game has this or this, like watching a film and sitting beside someone who has already seen it and keeps going &#39;&#39;oh the next bit is where.....&#39;&#39;. nor do i want to trail through numerous pages to find the best setup for the game.

My suggestion is to allow there to be various threads pertaining to the game, or even a subforum. Allowing conversations and discussions to be held without everyone getting mixed up. Perhaps after some time when interest has died down then delete or merge them. e.g when far cry came out everyone was dicussing it but now there is hardly a mention.

Anyway this is not meant by any means as a flame nor a complaint merely my thoughts, I would be interested to see what others think and what ike or another mod thinks.

Thanks

zc :)

silent h3ro
08-09-2004, 01:25 AM
I agree. I made a Halo2 topic and was directed to the other the Halo topics. WTF&#33; :angry: There is no way you can mix people askinfg about cheats, having problems with the game, tweaks, ect. crammed into one foum thread, it&#39;s too disorganized and hard to read through.

dwightfry
08-09-2004, 04:32 PM
I was just bitching to my sister about the same thing. The one topic thing doesn&#39;t work.

RGX
08-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@9 August 2004 - 01:16
hi

i have posted in here, rather than &#39;about this forum&#39;, as i would like the reaction of others who inhabit gameworld, hope you don&#39;t mind.

I understand, sorta, the decision to try and keep the doom topics together but i feel at this point is an unwise decision.

As the game is so popular and is just out there are a lot of things to discuss, gameplay, tips, mods, machine specs etc. To have all of these in one thread makes it nigh impossble to discuss as people are posting replies constantly to different subjects. Another problem i have is that there are a number of spoilers in the thread, whereby people asking for tips or giving info about the game at stages many of us have not reached, and therefore spoiling the shock or excitment. I don&#39;t wanna post a link to mod links only to find out that the game has this or this, like watching a film and sitting beside someone who has already seen it and keeps going &#39;&#39;oh the next bit is where.....&#39;&#39;. nor do i want to trail through numerous pages to find the best setup for the game.

My suggestion is to allow there to be various threads pertaining to the game, or even a subforum. Allowing conversations and discussions to be held without everyone getting mixed up. Perhaps after some time when interest has died down then delete or merge them. e.g when far cry came out everyone was dicussing it but now there is hardly a mention.

Anyway this is not meant by any means as a flame nor a complaint merely my thoughts, I would be interested to see what others think and what ike or another mod thinks.

Thanks

Well said, I have thought the same thing as i&#39;m sure most other people in this section have.

Cheese
08-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by RGX+9 August 2004 - 17:40--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RGX @ 9 August 2004 - 17:40)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-(>Zero Cool<)@9 August 2004 - 01:16
hi

As the game is so popular and is just out there are a lot of things to discuss, gameplay, tips, mods, machine specs etc. To have all of these in one thread makes it nigh impossble to discuss as people are posting replies constantly&nbsp; to different subjects. Another problem i have is that there are a number of spoilers in the thread, whereby people asking for tips or giving info about the game at stages many of us have not reached, and therefore spoiling the shock or excitment. I don&#39;t wanna post a link to mod links only to find out that the game has this or this, like watching a film and sitting beside someone who has already seen it and keeps going &#39;&#39;oh the next bit is where.....&#39;&#39;. nor do i want to trail through numerous pages to find the best setup for the game.

Thanks

Well said, I have thought the same thing as i&#39;m sure most other people in this section have. [/b][/quote]
Me too. Makes sense.

If something warrants a seperate thread about Doom then we should be able to make a seperate thread about it. This has been the most active of topics during a slow time for the board so it makes little sense to stifle and effectivly censor people just for a few moaning voices.

Busyman
08-09-2004, 06:09 PM
I think the temporary subforum is the best idea posed. (with a separator)

Having Doom III all over GameWorld ain&#39;t the way to go.

Regardless of that, there are Doom III thread that are similiar &#39;cause some folks either want to feel special or can&#39;t read worth 2 shits.

Keep in mind this started when cpt_azad started us all off with about 7 Doom III threads. That&#39;s what started the pinned topic in the first place.

Nice going.

Recently there were two Doom III spec threads on the first page.

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION.

The pinned thread is basically a "I just killed a monster" a monster thread or the "I just fell down this hole" thread.

Someone PM rookie for the subforum.

Case closed.

Snee
08-09-2004, 06:14 PM
If we are gonna&#39; have that pinned thread then the mods have to be consistent.

Imagine the "why&#39;d I get moved when he didn&#39;t"-arguments that could start otherwise.

I&#39;m not sure about the pinned thing at all, anyway.

I mean, is this the M.O. for every subject that is popular now?
I mean, where&#39;s the free ipod thread then? :P

Bad example I know, but there has been others.

It&#39;s just one game out of a million games out there.

Busyman
08-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@9 August 2004 - 14:15
If we are gonna&#39; have that pinned thread then the mods have to be consistent.

Imagine the "why&#39;d I get moved when he didn&#39;t"-arguments that could start otherwise.

I&#39;m not sure about the pinned thing at all, anyway.

I mean, is this the M.O. for every subject that is popular now?
I mean, where&#39;s the free ipod thread then? :P

Bad example I know, but there has been others.

It&#39;s just one game out of a million games out there.
If people follow then yes when something is really popular then it deserves a pinned topic or subforum.

GTA San Andreas should get the same treatment.

As a matter of fact:

GTA San Andreas
Halo 2
Half-Life 2

are so popular that they deserve separate status.

(I like the sub-forum that 0-Cool suggested)

Once they aren&#39;t popular anymore they go back to gen-pop.

Cheese
08-09-2004, 06:20 PM
The temp forum for it is not a bad idea. Maybe do this for Half-life 2 as well. It&#39;s a matter of a few clicks to set up and as soon as it starts dying (say a week with no posts or a set time limit) then rip it down.

Snee
08-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Well, the temp forum thing does seem like a good idea now that I think of it.

As long as it isn&#39;t treated as a permanent thing.

I don&#39;t think people will be posting that much about it in a couple of weeks.
Except for n00b&#39;s who have just gotten it, and can&#39;t figure out the bin thing, and so forth.

Oh and the ones who unpacked the archives and can&#39;t play mp when they get around to trying.

Mad Cat
08-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@9 August 2004 - 18:10

Regardless of that, there are Doom III thread that are similiar &#39;cause some folks either want to feel special or can&#39;t read worth 2 shits.

Keep in mind this started when cpt_azad started us all off with about 7 Doom III threads. That&#39;s what started the pinned topic in the first place.

Nice going.

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION.

The pinned thread is basically a "I just killed a monster" a monster thread or the "I just fell down this hole" thread.

Case closed.
Jesus nobody complains when people make 2 seperate threads about the same thing for a less popular game.

Trying to shove them into one topic is idiotic, as it was with the Halo and Halo 2, and Half Life 2 pinned topics. I for one can&#39;t be arsed trailing through 11 pages (at 40 posts per page) just to find a tip or link to a tweak, when I could use the search engine and find it in seconds because somebody has made a specific topic titled to the subject.

Skillian
08-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Just wanted to say I agree with a temp sub-forum (or just let the new threads through).

It just took me about 15 minutes to find that memory cache tweak that I knew was there somewhere.

cpt_azad
08-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@9 August 2004 - 10:10

Nice going.

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION.

Case closed.
oi :angry: , but i do like the idea of a subforum, makes more sense actually. now only if the mods agree :(

Busyman
08-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Mad Cat+9 August 2004 - 16:49--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mad Cat @ 9 August 2004 - 16:49)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@9 August 2004 - 18:10

Nice going.

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION.

Case closed.
Jesus nobody complains when people make 2 seperate threads about the same thing for a less popular game.

Trying to shove them into one topic is idiotic, as it was with the Halo and Halo 2, and Half Life 2 pinned topics. I for one can&#39;t be arsed trailing through 11 pages (at 40 posts per page) just to find a tip or link to a tweak, when I could use the search engine and find it in seconds because somebody has made a specific topic titled to the subject. [/b][/quote]
How often is the question.

If I saw 2 thread about Doom III so what.

When I get 5 including 2 that are about the same specific thing it&#39;s annoying.

I know everyone&#39;s happy about having the game and want to let everyone in on it.
(me too :D )

......but use some fucking common sense.

btw the Halo and HL2 pins actually worked at the time.

I only made them because everyone was peppering the board with:

Halo PC anybody got it
Half-Life 2 specs
Halo PC server list
Half-Life 2 is the shit
HL2 when is it coming out

cpt_azad
08-10-2004, 01:20 AM
:lol: good ole times :)

Skillian
08-10-2004, 01:51 AM
Board was a lot smaller then.

And HL2 still isn&#39;t out :D

Mad Cat
08-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Busyman+10 August 2004 - 01:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 10 August 2004 - 01:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Mad Cat@9 August 2004 - 16:49
<!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@9 August 2004 - 18:10

Nice going.

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION.

Case closed.

Trying to shove them into one topic is idiotic, as it was with the Halo and Halo 2, and Half Life 2 pinned topics. I for one can&#39;t be arsed trailing through 11 pages (at 40 posts per page) just to find a tip or link to a tweak, when I could use the search engine and find it in seconds because somebody has made a specific topic titled to the subject.
How often is the question.

If I saw 2 thread about Doom III so what.

When I get 5 including 2 that are about the same specific thing it&#39;s annoying.

I know everyone&#39;s happy about having the game and want to let everyone in on it.
(me too :D )

......but use some fucking common sense.

btw the Halo and HL2 pins actually worked at the time.

I only made them because everyone was peppering the board with:

Halo PC anybody got it
Half-Life 2 specs
Halo PC server list
Half-Life 2 is the shit
HL2 when is it coming out [/b][/quote]
Then lets all make a Doom 3 information thread in which we sort out the facts from the shit, and the rest can be discussed in the main forum.

Busyman
08-10-2004, 10:20 AM
Wtf was the pinned topic for?

Oh I know, "I just got Doom III Look What I Did" thread.

RGX
08-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Busyman@9 August 2004 - 18:10

Nice going.

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION.

Case closed.
Thank goodness we have you Busyman, without you we couldnt possibly have closed the case.

Thankyou, im sure on behalf of everyone here...

Peerzy
08-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Im sure by now both IKE and most of the mods have seen this and not commented, pritty much saying; fuck you we do it our way or we don&#39;t do it at all <_< .

(>Zero Cool<)
08-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@10 August 2004 - 13:37
Im sure by now both IKE and most of the mods have seen this and not commented, pritty much saying; fuck you we do it our way or we don&#39;t do it at all <_< .
I did pm Ike, as it was he who deleted/merged the other threads, with a link to this thread not too long after I posted it, certainly before there were too many replies, to date I have had no response. :(

Snee
08-10-2004, 05:10 PM
The pinned topic would work a lot better btw, easier to find facts you need and so on, if some people didn&#39;t just talk about how good doom is(still, I mean, we&#39;ve all heard it now), and what they&#39;ve done now in it, and so forth.

cpt_azad
08-10-2004, 05:24 PM
i&#39;m still a contributor of tweaks/guides wit many others in that thread. it&#39;s just ppl don&#39;t wanna look through all those pages to find a particular thing they need/want. subforums is a spot on idea, i support it. where are the mods?

Peerzy
08-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by cpt_azad@10 August 2004 - 17:25
i&#39;m still a contributor of tweaks/guides wit many others in that thread. it&#39;s just ppl don&#39;t wanna look through all those pages to find a particular thing they need/want. subforums is a spot on idea, i support it. where are the mods?
Ignoring you becuase its not what they want.

Busyman
08-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by RGX+10 August 2004 - 08:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RGX @ 10 August 2004 - 08:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Busyman@9 August 2004 - 18:10

Nice going.

PAY FUCKING ATTENTION.

Case closed.
Thank goodness we have you Busyman, without you we couldnt possibly have closed the case.

Thankyou, im sure on behalf of everyone here... [/b][/quote]
Stop sarcastically sucking my balls&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

Peerzy
08-10-2004, 09:54 PM
Im just waiting for this to be suddenly locked with no explanation... :lol: .

(>Zero Cool<)
08-12-2004, 08:53 AM
for info I posted this in the about this forum thread in a hope for some kinda response

looking for action of some sort (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=121125)

cpt_azad
08-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@10 August 2004 - 13:55
Im just waiting for this to be suddenly locked with no explanation... :lol: .
i&#39;m guessing when this thread hits 5+ pages :lol:

CornerPocket
08-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Okay well I&#39;ll pop in on this one. Guess the intent of the Doom 3 thread was just that, to discuss it&#39;s coming out, etc. Now there is all types of post related to tips, tricks, hints, issues, problems etc. Altough I do not possess Admin power to facilitate a temp sub-forum for Hot game release discussions, maybe a compromise can be reached.

My thoughts:
3 Pinned Topics -

1. General info (already exists)
2. Tips, tricks, etc
3. Problems, issues, etc

Can create these during hot game release time and remove into the forum once it dies down or another game gets released needing that type of attention. ??

Just grasping at concepts.......not sure will see anything from Admin point of view on a sub-forum. ;)

(>Zero Cool<)
08-12-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by CornerPocket@12 August 2004 - 14:22
Okay well I&#39;ll pop in on this one.&nbsp; Guess the intent of the Doom 3 thread was just that, to discuss it&#39;s coming out, etc.&nbsp; Now there is all types of post related to tips, tricks, hints, issues, problems etc.&nbsp; Altough I do not possess Admin power to facilitate a temp sub-forum for Hot game release discussions, maybe a compromise can be reached.

My thoughts:
3 Pinned Topics -

1. General info (already exists)
2. Tips, tricks, etc
3. Problems, issues, etc

Can create these during hot game release time and remove into the forum once it dies down or another game gets released needing that type of attention. ??

Just grasping at concepts.......not sure will see anything from Admin point of view on a sub-forum.&nbsp; ;)
thanks for the input cp :) , that sounds good to me too, dunno how others feel.

To be honest just something more than a single thread would be a big help, I love the game but I don&#39;t go near the single thread as it&#39;s a mess, which is a shame as there are loads of good posts in there, just a bit unorganised. I think though the fact that it has more posts and more views than a lot of other threads put together should prove a point. :)

ps so who gets the fun job of sorting out the current posts into the new threads ;)

CornerPocket
08-12-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@12 August 2004 - 08:32
ps so who gets the fun job of sorting out the current&nbsp; posts into the new threads ;)
I would take on that task.... :01:

let&#39;s see how how others feel as you say, again it&#39;s just a grasp I considered unless the Admin finds it in his heart to create such a sub-forum...... :)

(>Zero Cool<)
08-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by CornerPocket+12 August 2004 - 14:41--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CornerPocket @ 12 August 2004 - 14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-(>Zero Cool<)@12 August 2004 - 08:32
ps so who gets the fun job of sorting out the current posts into the new threads ;)
I would take on that task.... :01:
[/b][/quote]
see you in a month :rolleyes:

I can&#39;t speak for the others but I think the general feeling was simply to allow for a broader range of threads to post stuff in until interest dies down (and halo 2 comes out :P )

CornerPocket
08-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)@12 August 2004 - 08:44
I can&#39;t speak for the others but I think the general feeling was simply to allow for a broader range of threads to post stuff in until interest dies down (and halo 2 comes out :P )
so then I shall place the ball & chain on and commence into the dark depths of the posts and commence the attack. :tank:

(>Zero Cool<)
08-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by CornerPocket+12 August 2004 - 14:50--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CornerPocket @ 12 August 2004 - 14:50)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-(>Zero Cool<)@12 August 2004 - 08:44
so then I shall place the ball & chain on and commence into the dark depths of the posts and commence the attack. :tank: [/b][/quote]
we may need to order a replacement mod :rolleyes:

CornerPocket
08-12-2004, 04:30 PM
....on second thought, original thread has 70+ pages so let&#39;s leave it as is. :)

Now for those of you that had Tips, Tweaks, etc feel free to copy/paste those into the new sections. Hope this setup will suffice for now. :rolleyes:

Gotta get to work, so any questions just PM me, I&#39;ll get back to you when time permits....................

Busyman
08-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by CornerPocket@12 August 2004 - 12:31
....on second thought, original thread has 70+ pages so let&#39;s leave it as is. :)

Now for those of you that had Tips, Tweaks, etc feel free to copy/paste those into the new sections. Hope this setup will suffice for now. :rolleyes:

Gotta get to work, so any questions just PM me, I&#39;ll get back to you when time permits....................
Now that&#39;s what I like....a mod who actually does some shit and takes action instead of lollygagging. ;)

(>Zero Cool<)
08-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Busyman+12 August 2004 - 16:38--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Busyman @ 12 August 2004 - 16:38)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CornerPocket@12 August 2004 - 12:31
....on second thought, original thread has 70+ pages so let&#39;s leave it as is.&nbsp; :)&nbsp;

Now for those of you that had Tips, Tweaks, etc feel free to copy/paste those into the new sections.&nbsp; Hope this setup will suffice for now.&nbsp; :rolleyes:

Now that&#39;s what I like....a mod who actually does some shit and takes action instead of lollygagging. ;) [/b][/quote]
I&#39;m all for no lollygagging :)

ps wtf is &#39;lollygagging&#39; :blink:

(>Zero Cool<)
08-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by CornerPocket@12 August 2004 - 16:31
:lol:

told ya :lol:

Snee
08-12-2004, 04:52 PM
Does the news-thread/original still need to be pinned much longer?

The game is out now, and so on.

Once the tips hints thread and the problems thread gets rolling everything should be going in either of those, right?

(>Zero Cool<)
08-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@12 August 2004 - 16:53

Once the tips hints thread and the problems thread gets rolling everything should be going in either of those, right?
I doubt anyone will ever move all the stuff, there is a stack to get through but I agree that there will now be a lot of crap that could go, there was a stack of posts discussing getting it in the first place which are no longer relevant

CornerPocket
08-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by SnnY@12 August 2004 - 10:53

Point taken and yes once everyone starts taking notice toward the perspective topics the &#39;news&#39; portion will be unpinned as will the others when traffic start to dissipate.

Skillian
08-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Nice one CP, good solution.

Busyman
08-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by (>Zero Cool<)+12 August 2004 - 12:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ((>Zero Cool<) @ 12 August 2004 - 12:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Busyman@12 August 2004 - 16:38
<!--QuoteBegin-CornerPocket@12 August 2004 - 12:31
....on second thought, original thread has 70+ pages so let&#39;s leave it as is. :)&nbsp;

Now that&#39;s what I like....a mod who actually does some shit and takes action instead of lollygagging. ;)
I&#39;m all for no lollygagging :)

ps wtf is &#39;lollygagging&#39; :blink: [/b][/quote]
Look at the context of the sentence. :ph34r:

Snee
08-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by CornerPocket+12 August 2004 - 19:31--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CornerPocket @ 12 August 2004 - 19:31)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@12 August 2004 - 10:53

Point taken and yes once everyone starts taking notice toward the perspective topics the &#39;news&#39; portion will be unpinned as will the others when traffic start to dissipate. [/b][/quote]
Thanks for listening.

CornerPocket
08-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SnnY+12 August 2004 - 12:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SnnY @ 12 August 2004 - 12:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by CornerPocket@12 August 2004 - 19:31
<!--QuoteBegin-SnnY@12 August 2004 - 10:53

Point taken and yes once everyone starts taking notice toward the perspective topics the &#39;news&#39; portion will be unpinned as will the others when traffic start to dissipate.
Thanks for listening. [/b][/quote]
Your welcome :beerchug: