PDA

View Full Version : DooM III

CornerPocket
08-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Thread for TIPS, TRICKS, HINTS related to Doom III. (including help with levels).

For general talk & discussions click below:

DooM III, Related News + Info Here! (http://filesharingtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=119846&st=0)

Any general talk will be removed.

wienerschnitzel
08-12-2004, 08:14 PM
Im stuck in Hell :(

how do you beat the guardian? I kill those flying flashlights then I hit him. I do this until I run out of ammo on all my guns. I even use the bfg at full charge at close range right after i killed the flying things.

Am I missing something?

I tried googling this but all the guides haven't gotten this far yet.

Please help me

abu_has_the_power
08-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@12 August 2004 - 15:15
Im stuck in Hell :(

how do you beat the guardian? I kill those flying flashlights then I hit him. I do this until I run out of ammo on all my guns. I even use the bfg at full charge at close range right after i killed the flying things.

Am I missing something?

I tried googling this but all the guides haven't gotten this far yet.

Please help me
when u get rid of the spotlights, a blue orb thing appears on the guardian's back. u have to rocket that orb. do it like 3 times. and he's dead. none of the bosses were hard

wienerschnitzel
08-13-2004, 03:31 AM
Well i beat him (which was pretty easy once you know where to hit)

Now im on the next level which so far sucks. Too many strong monsters and they took away all my stuff again :angry:

I can't play this game for more then a few hours before i get pissed off or bored.

abu_has_the_power
08-13-2004, 07:40 AM
the good way to play is beat it once with no cheats, then cheat like a mofo. god mode and kill all with a chainsaw. fun as hell

(>Zero Cool<)
08-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by peerzyboy@13 August 2004 - 13:35
This is just becoming another genral topic, this should be JUST for posting tips nothing else&#33;
good point, we all asked to get some seperate topics no point in using them all to dump all sorts of stuff.

I am not sure but I think this should go here :unsure:

link to more mods, map etc

doom bits n bobs (http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/doom3/index.html)

CornerPocket
08-15-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by wienerschnitzel@13 August 2004 - 15:15
but if you really think about it this whole idea of 3 threads is stupid
Has you coming in here doesn&#39;t it? Obviously you want to see what&#39;s being posted. :P

Okay folks lets keep it to topic specifics, any general talk will be removed.

krome
08-17-2004, 06:51 PM
anbody here have tweaks or something to help boost this a little in FPS

cpt_azad
08-20-2004, 05:30 AM
make me get off my lazy ass, damn u guys :angry: <_< :angry: :) , but i&#39;ll post the previous tweaks i posted in my other doom3 thread, which was unpinned:

tweak number 1 (gives u probably the biggest FPS boost, i changes the settings so most of it is high, but this setting is guaranteed 60 FPS avg on med end comps.)

change the vars around until u find the "perfect" setting, but sometimes it doesn&#39;t work as you can see for yourself if you head over to planetdoom forums. the "other tweak" you can try and see for yourself, it sure did do some miracles on my crappy comp:

note note note warning note&#33;&#33; these are Image Settings for 128mb Video Cards note, if you have 64mb card, replace 512 with 256 or a lower number, i&#39;m not sure wat the number is for 64mb cards, but experiment damn u&#33; also note where it says width and height, change to watever u want but make sure it&#39;s "selectable" in doom3 as in dont give random numbers, take "prefixed" ones like 640x480 or 800x600 etc etc

1) open up notepad and copy and paste this into it:

2) (COPY ALL BELOW THIS SENTENCE):

bind * "exec autoexec.cfg"

seta com_showFPS "1"

seta ui_showGun "1"

seta ui_autoReload "0"

seta ui_autoSwitch "1"

seta g_fov "100"

seta image_downSizeLimit "512"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "1"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "512"
seta image_downSizeSpecularLimit "64"
seta image_downSizeBump "0"
seta image_downSizeSpecular "1"
seta image_downSize "1"
seta image_forceDownSize "1"
seta image_anisotropy "0"
seta image_filter "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"

seta r_shadows "0"
seta r_skipbump "0"
seta r_skipspecular "1"
seta r_skipoverlays "0"
seta r_skipfoglights "0"
seta r_skippostprocess "1"
seta r_skipbendlights "0"
seta r_skipdynamictextures "0"

//you can change this to whatever you want, this setting works really well, also you can try 640x480, mine is running at 1024x768
seta r_customWidth "800"
seta r_customHeight "600"

seta pm_runbob "0"
seta pm_runpitch "0"
seta pm_runroll "0"
seta pm_bobpitch "0"
seta pm_bobroll "0"
seta pm_bobup "0"
seta pm_crouchbob "0"
seta pm_walkbob "0"

3) don&#39;t copy this line or anything below it&#33;&#33;&#33; just the above bolded "code" portion. paste the code into notepad and save it as a cfg (config) file (use the dropdown thingy that says "save as type ". name the file watever u want, i like to call it performace.cfg (don&#39;t forget to add the extension .cfg or it wont work&#33;&#33; save in the base folder (where the doomconfig.cfg file is also found)

4) run doom3 like normal, start up a level, bring down the console, and then type (note, replace performance with watever u named the cfg file):

exec performace.cfg (then hit enter) by the time u hit enter and if everything goes accordingly, it should say something like execing performance.cfg or something like that to acknowledge the process is underway (u SHOULDN&#39;T get an error, ur looking for a confirmation)

5) now, if you really want to (i recommend it), type vid_restart and hit enter

6) enjoy u lucky bastards, now, whos gonna gimme that cookie :D FOR REPOSTING THIS :lol: , hope this helps.

cpt_azad
08-20-2004, 05:37 AM
go to ur "Base" folder within the doom3 directory (X:&#092;Activision&#092;Doom 3&#092;base)

open up doomconfig.cfg with notepad/wordpad

find the following 3 lines (use ctrl+f for faster finding):

seta image_useCache "0"
seta image_cacheMegs "x"
seta image_cacheMinK "x"

(note: "x" as stated above can be any number, doesn&#39;t matter wat so ever)

change it so it reads:

seta image_useCache "1"
seta image_cacheMegs "half or 1/3 of your ram"
seta image_cacheMinK "20480"

now, seta image_cacheMegs "half or 1/3 of your ram" is a diff. kind of varchar, "half or 1/3 of your ram" should be replaced by a number of 1/3 or 1/2 of your TOTAL RAM, my total ram is (right now, new comp still not built) is 640 MB RAM and my seta image_cacheMegs reads as follows:

seta image_cacheMegs "304"

MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE "half or 1/3 of your ram" to a different number

save the file (ctrl+s), enjoy the FPS boost, worked for most ppl.

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by krome@12 August 2004 - 19:32
level hell seems to be the hardest level for me
possible spoiler:::::

this happens after the sea of lava where the stone cruses down from the ceillin
those flyin faces keep pushing me of the edge into the lava..... sucky part about it i gotta keep strarting the level from the beginning of the level&nbsp; :frusty:
shot gun them at close range. use the machine gun when u see them far away from u. use the machine gun for small enemies cuz it&#39;s weak and it won&#39;t come in handy much after the hell level

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Ok I got the game working and I&#39;m at the bit where the guy with the lantern tells you to follow him because the lights are out. We started walking through the dark and he gets killed by a imp <_< . I carried on walking through and up the ladder where the guys are hanging upside down from the ceiling but the door is broken.

Where do you go from here?

protect the mofo until he open all the doors :frusty:

Originally posted by colt45joe@12 August 2004 - 11:57
yea anybody who helps you out eventually dies. but you shouldnt kill them, cuz i think when you kill innocent people demons come out of nowwhere and attack you
its true, perfect example is when u get to that part where theres a guy in that thing and asks u to let him out and u have 2 option, open the door or activate the thing. if u select open door, nothing happens to YOU and the guy goes free and eventually helps you, but if u activate the thing, 2 of those zombie guys come rushing from behind into the room ur in from the door u came through, weird

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by hate_fake_files@2 August 2004 - 19:03
ok i&#39;m stuck&#33; can anyone help a guy out please?&nbsp; it&#39;s the part where you have to find that dr williams (is that his name?) PDA to access alpha labs or something (i&#39;m at the part where you go into this room and you pick up PDA and it says there is armour and extra ammunition in a safe and it gives u the code) the door i need to gain access to (alpha labs) is right beside the "safe" but when i click on it it says new objective locate dr williams (still don&#39;t know if that&#39;s the name) PDA.&nbsp; and i cannot seem to find it anywhere, please help&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; oh, and com_drawfps 1 doesn&#39;t work for me :(

His PDA is in the room with the doom 3 symbol carved into the ground. I can&#39;t remember exactly where it is at though. That&#39;s the best I can help you.

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by brucelee21@3 August 2004 - 19:03
how do I get the cheats to work? I press the ~ key to bring up the console but it does nothing.

Hold down Ctrl + Alt + ~

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by V&#33;per@4 August 2004 - 07:28
hay can we play this doom 3 baby online once we dload it, if so. How?

You can but only on cracked servers. You wont be able to see any games when you go to the multi-player option, you will need the ip address of the person(s) you want to play with. If you want to still play online heres how:

Browse to:
C:&#092;windows&#092;system32&#092;drivers&#092;etc&#092;hosts file, and add a line:
127.0.0.1 idnet.ua-corp.com

Start up Doom 3
Go to MP
Type in IP address of the person hosting the game
Wait for it to connect

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 01:50 PM
May show some repetitive tweaks, but a tweak nonetheless. "CP"

~~Doom 3 Tweaks~~

Open ; C:&#092;Program Files&#092;Doom 3&#092;base&#092;DoomConfig.cfg
Add ; seta com_showFPS "1" (shows fps at all times)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change seta g_nightmare "0" to seta g_nightmare "1"

Unlocks Nightmare mode

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

seta image_downSizeLimit "256"
seta image_ignoreHighQuality "0"
seta image_downSizeBumpLimit "256"
seta image_cacheMegs "100"

Ive heard setting 256 - 1024 increases texture quality

open console:
timedemo demo1.demo

this will do a benchmark

You can brighten the game up by typing "r_gamma X" in the console, where the X is a # between 0 and 3. 3 Being highest

To open console:
(US keyboard) Ctrl + Alt + ~
(EUR keyboard) Ctrl + Alt + ¬

Show FPS:
com_showfps 1

Cracking multiplayer for clients go to:
C:&#092;windows&#092;system32&#092;drivers&#092;etc&#092;hosts file, and add a line:
127.0.0.1 idnet.ua-corp.com

seta g_showPlayerShadow "0" - player shadows off
seta g_showPlayerShadow "1" - player shadows on

Third person:
bind "p" "toggle pm_thirdperson"

-nostartup in the command line will skip the id-logo movie

For example [ "C:&#092;....&#092;Doom 3&#092;doom3.exe" -nostartup ]

To apply changes while still in game type this in console:
vid_restart

Add Hit Percentage to HUD:
seta g_showProjectilePct 1

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 02:06 PM
http://www.fileplanet.com

found some doom 3 mods here, including attaching a torch to your pistol or machine gun, I haven&#39;t tried em yet but it looks promising :01:

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by dwightfry@7 August 2004 - 14:42
I&#39;m looking for the control room I believe. There is a lift that can take me to sections 1 (loading), 2 (????), 3 (exit/unload). The door in section 3 is locked by controls somewhere in security section 1. But I can&#39;t find where to unlock it. I&#39;ve pretty sure I&#39;ve been everywhere at least 20 times. Section 1 is small and I always end up in section 2 or 3. Or are there any walthroughs out yet? I found one that ended a couple levels before this.

Any help?

you have to manually drive the lift thing (i think i know where you are) there should be 4 arrows on the lift , one to go forward, backward, turn left and right.&nbsp; then theres a thing to make the lift go up and back down, you have to make the lift go up, and then you jump onto a bridge. its the only bridge theres, thats above you.

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Compliments of cpt_azad. B)

ati tweak just came in guaranteed atleast 25% increase if not 40% increase, seen wit my own 2 eyes my friends 9700pro was getting 37 fps avg, tweak shot it up to 54 avg same settings, heres how:

go into doom3/base folder, look for pak000.pk4, open that up wit winrar, now look for a subfolder named glprogs, go into it, look for the file name interaction.vfp now wat u gotta do is edit it, i suggest u extract to somewhere, edit it, and then add the new edited file back into pk4 file u opened wit winrar overwriting the old one wit the newly edited one, here&#39;s how:

1) open the interaction.vfp with notepad or wordpad
2) scroll down and find

PARAM subOne = { -1, -1, -1, -1 };
PARAM scaleTwo = { 2, 2, 2, 2 }; &nbsp;
3) now rite below it add the line:

PARAM specExp = { 16, 0, 0, 0 };
4) it should like this:

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; PARAM subOne = { -1, -1, -1, -1 };
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; PARAM scaleTwo = { 2, 2, 2, 2 };
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; PARAM specExp = { 16, 0, 0, 0 };

5) now scroll down some more to find this:

# perform a dependent table read for the specular falloff
TEX&nbsp; R1, specular, texture[6], 2D;&nbsp;

6) change it so it reads this:

# perform a dependent table read for the specular falloff
# TEX&nbsp; R1, specular, texture[6], 2D;
POW&nbsp; R1, specular.x, specExp.x;

7) save the file, and then add it back into the glprogs subdirectory and overwrite the old one, start the game and enjoy

remember, this is an ATI tweak only, it slowed mine down by 2 fps in timedemo cuz i own an nvidia (5200). hope this helps, oh and if u can&#39;t for some reason get winrar to add the file and save (it freezes up), then gimme a good place to host a tweak file which emulates the steps above (it&#39;s a rar file and it contains the edited interaction.vfp file which in a folder called glprogs which extracts into the base folder of doom3), for those that want this file, tell me a good hosting site and i&#39;ll upload ASAP.

CornerPocket
08-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@9 August 2004 - 12:39
anyone know when u can get the bfg? i saw it in a locked room, but i don&#39;t have the code to some sargent/general person. where do u get it?

the code is 931 (i think the name is abrams, the code was originally 901 but then "security" updated it to 931 because codes cannot have the number 0 in em&nbsp; :blink: )

james_bond_rulez
08-20-2004, 02:52 PM
i am stuck in "hell" too

now my problem is the monster dude has me cornered and keeps pwning me with his gigantic dick and i can&#39;t fucking move. the only way to get out is to start hell again but i dont wanna get through all that crap...

any ideas? :frusty: