PDA

View Full Version : da vinci code

Gemby!
10-06-2004, 07:26 PM
ok i have heard you lto speaking about the book 'the da vinci code' by Dan Brown, and i was wondering if there was a book i am meant to read before this so that this makes more sense

i was wondering because i remember someone mentioning another book of his , something to do with angels i think ;)

help would be appreciated :)

Guillaume
10-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Have a look here (http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/x1/x7405.htm).
I haven't read it yet (it's on my "to read" list though) so I can't be of more help.

Dan Brown's bibliography
Digital Fortress (1999)
Angels and Demons (2000)
Deception Point (2001)
The Da Vinci Code (2003) ;)

ruthie
10-06-2004, 08:58 PM
read Angels and Demons first. It is in this book he introduces the main character of the da vinci code. I'm actually reading it right now...pretty good

MagicNakor
10-06-2004, 10:17 PM
You don't have to read Angels and Demons at all in order to appreciate The Da Vinci Code. The books are very similar, so you may feel like you're reading the same story save with different names.

The Da Vinci Code is the better of the two, although I still enjoyed Angels and Demons, it's not required reading by any means.

:shuriken:

Gemby!
10-07-2004, 07:06 PM
thanks you lot , you told me exactly what i needed to know :D

{I}{K}{E}
10-09-2004, 10:42 PM
There will be a movie about this book :01:

Gemby!
10-10-2004, 04:53 PM
I bought the da vinci code today, along with a book called 'My Little Friend':shifty: by Donna Tartt (teehee)

MagicNakor
10-10-2004, 11:52 PM
A movie? Where'd you hear that?

I don't think it'll make a very good movie, but who can tell?

jetje
10-11-2004, 06:25 AM
Well started reading in Angels and Demons, wich is called the Berini Mystery in the Netherlands. I hope they can wait with the movie till i finished reading both books, always like to finish the books before i see the movies :D

{I}{K}{E}
10-11-2004, 11:12 AM
A movie? Where'd you hear that?

I don't think it'll make a very good movie, but who can tell?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/

It seems alot of famous actors wanna play Langdon

MagicNakor
10-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Who would you pick for Langdon?

{I}{K}{E}
10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Can't remember how old he was in the books but maybe Anthony Hopkins ? or if they wanna use a younger character in the movie I would choose Johnny Depp

Gemby!
10-11-2004, 06:11 PM
I'm on chapter 5 :01:

JunkBarMan
10-18-2004, 01:56 AM
According to the website (http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/x1/x7405.htm) that Guillame posted it says "Russell Crowe and Kate Beckinsale set to play the leads". I haven't read that much, about 50 pages so far, but I pictured Langdon more of a Hopkins looking fellow.

erRor67
10-18-2004, 02:05 AM
I actually read The Da Vinci Code about last month. Great book. Hell, I even got Digital Fortress (which I finished last week), its a great book and Deception Point (just got it today) and so far its too a great book. Im in the process of getting Angels and Demens to complete all of his books. Did you guys know he is planning on writting a sequel to The Da Vinci Code? Its set to be released in summer of 2005.

Damnatory
10-18-2004, 02:51 AM
I'm on chapter 5 :01:
lol, Nearly all the chapters are a page and a half long, 2 pages at most.. So your about 11-12 pages into the book. :p

Great book, I just finished reading it myself...

Who would you pick for Langdon?
Langdon should definatly be cast with Kevin Spacey, and I believe Sophie should be cast with either Julianne Moore or Gillian Anderson ( from the X-files ), I lean more toward Julianne Moore though, as she is who I picture when I think of Sophie...

MagicNakor
10-18-2004, 03:35 AM
Russell Crowe and Kate Beckinsale? Ugh.

100%
10-18-2004, 04:17 AM
to put it banally
Anthony Hopkins(as usual) should be the English knight sir guy
Jean Reno as the main Cop (this is a must)
The guy from Pianist as the prof that dies first
Stellan svesgar -swedish actor (whatever his name is) as main charater
Bruce Willis as plane pilot
The Albino - some unknown actor first time appearance (hollywood opens its horizons)
The Butler - actor from million dollar hotel (to add humor and give him a different role)
the girl should actually not be to hawt
it should actually be made up of unknown actors to give them a chance since this movie is going to make money anyway

Gemby!
10-24-2004, 04:52 PM
According to the website (http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/x1/x7405.htm) that Guillame posted it says "Russell Crowe and Kate Beckinsale set to play the leads". I haven't read that much, about 50 pages so far, but I pictured Langdon more of a Hopkins looking fellow.Russel Crowe would just ruin the film :dry:

I hate that guy !

I also think most of the characters should be unknown actors, cos some of the ones out there who are likely to get picked aint all that :P

{I}{K}{E}
10-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Russel Crowe :(

{I}{K}{E}
11-15-2004, 06:48 PM
:w00t:

Tom Hanks will play Robert Langdon in the movie :01:

jetje
11-15-2004, 07:00 PM

Tom Hanks will play Robert Langdon in the movie :01:

another possible good movie ruined :dry:

Harrisson Ford should have played Langdon, or Liam Neeson perhaps ;)
But NOT the worst actor in the world :no:

btw finished angels and demons and liked it a lot, then read Retribution from Jilliane Hoffman (wich is called "vergelding" in dutch) wich was a lot different , so now just started the Da Vinci Code, only on page 6 so don't know much about it :P

{I}{K}{E}
11-15-2004, 07:05 PM
another possible good movie ruined :dry:

Harrisson Ford should have played Langdon, or Liam Neeson perhaps ;)
But NOT the worst actor in the world :no:

Me likes Tom Hanks :P

MagicNakor
11-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Ugh. I hate Tom Hanks.

I think Jeff Goldblum would've been a good choice as well.

baccyman
11-16-2004, 07:37 PM
this says that it will be tom hanks

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000719258

Gemby!
11-17-2004, 03:26 PM
At least it isn't russel crowe *what a dumbass*

Tom hanks aint that much better though

Should've got someone british

{I}{K}{E}
11-17-2004, 06:34 PM
At least it isn't russel crowe *what a dumbass*

Tom hanks aint that much better though

Should've got someone british

british?

Robert Langdon is an american in the book :huh:

TheNobleEU
11-18-2004, 06:53 PM
Ok let's generate some discussion.

Exactly what is Da Vinci Code about? This craze has been going
on for a while and I find I know nothing about it. Is it credible,
or modern conspiracy theory?

Cheers,
-EU

{I}{K}{E}
11-18-2004, 07:16 PM
While in Paris on business, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon receives an urgent late-night phone call: the elderly curator of the Louvre has been murdered inside the museum. Near the body, police have found a baffling cipher. Solving the enigmatic riddle, Langdon is stunned to discover it leads to a trail of clues hidden in the works of Da Vinci…clues visible for all to see…and yet ingeniously disguised by the painter.

Langdon joins forces with a gifted French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu, and learns the late curator was involved in the Priory of Sion—an actual secret society whose members included Sir Isaac Newton, Botticelli, Victor Hugo, and Da Vinci, among others. The Louvre curator has sacrificed his life to protect the Priory's most sacred trust: the location of a vastly important religious relic, hidden for centuries.

In a breathless race through Paris, London, and beyond, Langdon and Neveu match wits with a faceless powerbroker who appears to work for Opus Dei—a clandestine, Vatican-sanctioned Catholic sect believed to have long plotted to seize the Priory's secret. Unless Langdon and Neveu can decipher the labyrinthine puzzle in time, the Priory's secret—and a stunning historical truth—will be lost forever.

In an exhilarating blend of relentless adventure, scholarly intrigue, and cutting wit, symbologist Robert Langdon (first introduced in Dan Brown's bestselling Angels & Demons) is the most original character to appear in years. THE DA VINCI CODE heralds the arrival of a new breed of lightening-paced, intelligent thriller…surprising at every twist, absorbing at every turn, and in the end, utterly unpredictable…right up to its astonishing conclusion.

MagicNakor
11-18-2004, 11:55 PM
It's a work of fiction, heavily based in historical fact and theory. But as it is a work of fiction, some things have been exaggerated or made up. ;)

TheNobleEU
11-19-2004, 03:02 AM
It's a work of fiction, heavily based in historical fact

Really? How so?

I've seen Da Vinci Code spinoffs and 'unauthorized guides to' and also 'unauthorized guide to the historical background of the Da Vinci Code' etc. Read any of those? Where would you recommend someone like myself start on this series (knowing that I'm not big on fiction).

Cheers,
-EU

MagicNakor
11-19-2004, 05:46 AM
I'd read the book before going into any of the "guides." I haven't read any of them, having a fairly extensive background on da Vinci already. I imagine they'd be interesting reads, though.

Gemby!
01-14-2005, 04:46 PM
british?

Robert Langdon is an american in the book :huh:

And ? I want him to be british, more interesting :P :01:

In fact make him scottish :01:

{I}{K}{E}
01-14-2005, 08:48 PM

I'm reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown atm... also a great book :01:

was released here in the netherlands November 2004 (in dutch) but the original was released in '98

hope they will also translate Deception point :01:

jetje
01-14-2005, 09:01 PM
I'm reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown atm... also a great book :01:

was released here in the netherlands November 2004 (in dutch) but the original was released in '98

hope they will also translate Deception point :01:

IKE is dat Het Juvenalis Dilemma (cause that is waiting for me to be read after i finished "gestoord"???

finished reading The Da Vinci Code some time ago, was pretty good. I like the mysteries Dan Brown creates in his book. Also the fact he's talking about things you know, heared of or have seen in real life makes it intriguing.

I'm probably the only one that liked Demons and angels a bit more ;)

Btw all that love the way Robert Langdon works in the books to solve mysteries will like the movie National treasure. Symbols is a hot item in that one too.

{I}{K}{E}
01-14-2005, 09:06 PM
IKE is dat Het Juvenalis Dilemma (cause that is waiting for me to be read after i finished "gestoord"???

finished reading The Da Vinci Code some time ago, was pretty good. I like the mysteries Dan Brown creates in his book. Also the fact he's talking about things you know, heared of or have seen in real life makes it intriguing.

I'm probably the only one that liked Demons and angels a bit more ;)

Btw all that love the way Robert Langdon works in the books to solve mysteries will like the movie National treasure. Symbols is a hot item in that one too.

ja het is Het Juvenalis Dilemma hier in Nederland ;)

Enig idee of ze Deception Point ook zullen vertalen/wanneer?

Downloaded National Treasure today (TS diamond release) will watch it tonight :P

jetje
01-14-2005, 09:10 PM
ja het is Het Juvenalis Dilemma hier in Nederland ;)

Enig idee of ze Deception Point ook zullen vertalen/wanneer?

Downloaded National Treasure today (TS diamond release) will watch it tonight :P

you should go for the TC version IKE that's almost dvd like i have subs lying somewhere if you need them. Isohunt will show you the way :)
screenies from the TC (bsplayer)
http://img42.exs.cx/img42/1040/bscap0037la.th.jpg (http://img42.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img42&image=bscap0037la.jpg)

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/3574/bscap0053ir.th.jpg (http://img42.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img42&image=bscap0053ir.jpg)

oh and i don't have a clue when Deception Point will hit the streets in Dutch, but seeing how popular Dan Brown is, i guess can't be long

{I}{K}{E}
01-14-2005, 09:13 PM
you should go for the TC version IKE that's almost dvd like i have subs lying somewhere if you need them. Isohunt will show you the way :)

oops I have the TC :lol: (National.Treasure.TELECINE.5.1.AC3.XviD-DiAMOND)

if you have the subs for this release please send them to me ;)

Biggles
01-15-2005, 08:13 PM

I have been to Roslin ...

strange place doesn't really feel like a chapel at all

Illuminati
01-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Personally, when I read the book I thought of Nicolas Cage in the role. Dunno why (doubt it was National Treasure, which I could see the connection but haven't seen yet :P) but I thought he might have been able to pull off the emotion needed. :) Failing that, Jeff Goldblum is another decent choice :)

As for the others, not really much idea - Jean Reno (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000606/) in one of the French male roles. Maybe Remy but more likely Fache :) As for Teabing, it'd have to be an oldish English guy with an extrovert manner and can play comical and serious at different times - Maybe John Cleese? :)

As for Angels & Demons, you don't really have to read it before DVC - I read Digital Fortress two months ago and managed to read DVC two weeks ago. Still need to read DC and A&D :(

Having said that, if you can get a copy of the Collector's Illustrated Edition grab it! I bought it for my mother at Christmas and was surprised myself what they put in there. A lot of the items referenced in the book are put in areas around the pages so you can see what Brown was talking about in the book :)

{I}{K}{E}
01-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Audrey Tautou (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0851582/) will be Sophie Neveu in the movie

http://images.fok.nl/upload/050122_15958_audrey_tautou.jpg

uNz[i]
01-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Not a bad bit of casting there... she's almost exactly like I pictured Sophie while I was reading. :D

mogadishu
01-28-2005, 04:02 AM
i just started listening to the audiobook.. (i got an ipod, wanted to see how it is). I've only listened to the first 6 or so chapters, but I actually like tom hanks in the role. I dont know how the rest of the book unfolds, but so far i would not have like a harrison ford etc.. that kind of actor would have been too strong. This guy is a scholar. But I should probably buy the book.

mogadishu
02-02-2005, 06:11 PM
spoilers....

I just finished the book and I can honestly say it is one of the worst I have ever read. His writing is not good by any means, but I was willing to put up with that because it is a real page turner. The cliffhangers were interesting at first, but they too got old very quickly. There were over 105 chapters and way too many of them ended like "Langdon looked with amazement at what they found in the box" Well wtf is in the box. Also, he misleads the reader about Bezu Fache. When Fache contacted the bishop, i was sure he was a bad guy. I dont mind him changing sides, but there is no mention of fache for a few chapters then suddenly he appears and is all knowing and is really nice to the bishop. The ending is one of the worst ever. 103 chapters of nothing with no real resolution then basically the whole book in the last 2 and the epelogue. one of the worst things in the book was when there was a high moment of suspence you had to read pages of Langdon's (Dan Brown's) knowledge of the area. I mean who the hell is thinking about the history and the symolism etc when they have a gun pointed at their head. Man a very bad book.

worldpease
04-09-2005, 03:12 AM
Hey hey hey, I've heard so many good reviews, and some bad too,
that finaly Im going to read it,
so, keep it 'spoiler free' ok. ... lol, just kidding here.

But I heard a few minutes ago on the CBS Insider, that the writer is already working on the 3rd part, so, is there already a sequel to the first one?

uNz[i]
04-09-2005, 03:40 AM
Yes. Angels and Demons.
Actually it's more of a vague prequel. I preferred it to the Da Vinci code tbh.

worldpease
04-09-2005, 03:45 AM
Ooh, Ok, I believe is the one that someone asked if he needed to read before "the da vinci code" earlier on this tread.
Ok, then I'll stick with this one to start.

uNz[i]
04-09-2005, 03:48 AM
It really doesn't matter which book you read first. The only common thread between the 2 books is the main character. The stories are completely independent of each other.

sparsely
04-10-2005, 08:43 PM
i read the book yesterday.

great read :D

erRor67
04-11-2005, 04:10 AM
I read the second novel (Da Vinci code) first. Then i went back and read Angels and Demons (the first novel). It isnt a prequel as in the fact you have to read the first to understand the second (Like Harry Potter for instance). Its more like James Bond, you dont really need to start from the beginning. I suppose it would help, as the author goes more in depth about the main charactor in book 1 and all. But the actual plot, setting, and events are totally different. THe both stories owned and recommend reading both of them. And if you are, you might as well read them in order.

worldpease
04-11-2005, 04:51 AM
Yes. well explained.
Thanks to the three of you guys.

maebach
05-11-2005, 03:45 AM
angels and demons and da vinci code are both good, contreversial but good

Skiz
05-11-2005, 04:12 AM
I read about half of the da vinci code and lost interest. Should I finish it? Does it get better? :unsure:

uNz[i]
05-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Well about half of the world's population seemed to enjoy it quite a lot. :lol:

Skiz
05-11-2005, 07:46 AM
']Well about half of the world's population seemed to enjoy it quite a lot. :lol:

But honestly, did anyone else think it was slow? Is the 2nd half quite a bit better?

Because otherwise, I can't be arsed.

maebach
05-14-2005, 05:08 AM
you might as well read it now that your so far, right?

uNz[i]
05-14-2005, 05:18 AM
I didn't find it slow. I thought the short chapters kept things moving along at quite a respectable rate. It did get a bit predictable in places though...

But if you got halfway through then stopped, I guess the code just isn't your kind of book. *shrug*

GepperRankins
05-14-2005, 12:01 PM
is the da vinci code not about the end of the world being written in code then?

manker
05-14-2005, 12:24 PM
is the da vinci code not about the end of the world being written in code then?No, you're thinking of Angels and Demons but it's about the end of the Catholic Church rather than armageddon.

GepperRankins
05-14-2005, 12:31 PM
spoiler

oh yeah, the thing about "the holy grail" being jesus' bloodline cos he didn't die and he had kids and stuff?

i can believe all that stuff because if it's true he actually has a grave in india and it explains a heck of a lot of stuff dropped from the bible

or am i thinking of another theory?

manker
05-14-2005, 01:26 PM
spoiler

oh yeah, the thing about "the holy grail" being jesus' bloodline cos he didn't die and he had kids and stuff?

i can believe all that stuff because if it's true he actually has a grave in india and it explains a heck of a lot of stuff dropped from the bible

or am i thinking of another theory?
Yeah, that's mainly what the book is about. I think most of it is rooted in fact, which makes the read even better. You can't help but think that the stuff about Mary Magdeline being his missus really rings true.

The book has so many esotericies that may not be apparent if you're reading it like you'd read a normal fiction thriller. Anyone who reads it like that deserves to not enjoy it.

Angels and Demons is even better imo, btw :01:

GepperRankins
05-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah, that's mainly what the book is about. I think most of it is rooted in fact, which makes the read even better. You can't help but think that the stuff about Mary Magdeline being his missus really rings true.

The book has so many esotericies that may not be apparent if you're reading it like you'd read a normal fiction thriller. Anyone who reads it like that deserves to not enjoy it.

Angels and Demons is even better imo, btw :01:
i saw it in a documentry on tv, one that didn't mention da vinci.

apparently he went to india at 12 and started a family and trained to be a priest, then came back and got crucified. he didn't die, the oils mary took to him weren't the ones you use on dead people.

when he told the apostles he'd be back he wasn't talking about anything special, he just went home to india for a bit where he's buried and there's a 2000 year old carving of his feet including scars.

sommat like that anyway

BBC strikes again :cool:

manker
05-14-2005, 01:57 PM
i saw it in a documentry on tv, one that didn't mention da vinci.

apparently he went to india at 12 and started a family and trained to be a priest, then came back and got crucified. he didn't die, the oils mary took to him weren't the ones you use on dead people.

when he told the apostles he'd be back he wasn't talking about anything special, he just went home to india for a bit where he's buried and there's a 2000 year old carving of his feet including scars.

sommat like that anyway

BBC strikes again :cool:

There was nothing in The Da Vinci Code about India, but that documentary seems hawt.

GepperRankins
05-14-2005, 01:59 PM
There was nothing in The Da Vinci Code about India, but that documentary seems hawt.
it's called "did jesus die". it's pretty neato. it was on a few months ago so you'd be lucky to find it, though it was on uknova once

manker
05-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Cheers, Dave. It'll probably be on UK Documentary on Sky soon since they seem to repeat anything good about three times a week.

Why did you use a spoiler tag for that :unsure: :lol:

GepperRankins
05-14-2005, 05:53 PM
so people think we're having some 1337 discussion about the book

{I}{K}{E}
05-19-2005, 11:45 AM
Movie Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/da_vinci_code/)

manker
05-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks, IKE :D

{I}{K}{E}
05-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks, IKE :D

just watched it.

its more of a teaser trailer :P

Dishki
05-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Edward Norton should play the bad guy

keyser_soze
05-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Great book as long as your aware that some parts of it were fictional, some of the facts were true and there is a possibility of it being true but the secret society bit of intellecetuals was made up.

RealitY
05-28-2005, 04:57 PM
There is currently a dvd about this now also which is up on Usenet for those interested...

erRor67
05-31-2005, 02:05 AM
Great book as long as your aware that some parts of it were fictional, some of the facts were true and there is a possibility of it being true but the secret society bit of intellecetuals was made up.

What? THe secret society is fact.. But noone really knows what has happened to them. If they died out or fully infiltrated the works is unknown. :rolleyes:

manker
05-31-2005, 12:23 PM

What? THe secret society is fact.. But noone really knows what has happened to them. If they died out or fully infiltrated the works is unknown. :rolleyes:The secret society of intellectuals bit sounds more like the Illuminati in Angels and Demons, rather than the Priory of Sion in the Da Vinci Code.

However, while the existence of the Priory of Sion isn't in doubt, there is some conjecture as to the validity of their message. Their (supposed) last Grandmaster made a mockery of their long tradition by making up a series of lies in order to promote the cult - and then admitting it under oath when the then president of France, Mitterand, became implicated in his duplicitous tales.

worldpease
10-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Damn,
I've never been much of a book person,
but yesterday I finished readin this book (The Da Vinci Code) and I liked it a lot,
and not just the story, but the experience of ¨reading a story¨,
what I mean by this, is the way they tell the story, with such detail, some of the
stuff you might never notice on a movie, but reading is diferent.

And also the movie is coming soon,
there could not be better actors as McKellen and Hanks for theyre respective roles.
Im very exited about it, and I'll have to look for the documentary
you mentioned earlier on this tread, I believe I have seen it a lot too.

Barbarossa
10-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Damn,
but yesterday I finished readin this book (The Da Vinci Code) and I liked it a lot,
what I mean by this, is the way they tell the story, with such detail, some of the

there could not be better actors as McKellen and Hanks for theyre respective roles.

If you liked that, have a crack at "Angels and Demons".

I don't rate his other two books quite as highly though... :unsure:

maebach
10-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Damn,

If you liked that, have a crack at "Angels and Demons".

I don't rate his other two books quite as highly though... :unsure:

Everyone I know say that Angels and Demons is better than Da Vinci Code.

Nigi
10-15-2005, 09:30 AM
I've read the book and now i'm waiting for the movie :-)

maebach
10-15-2005, 02:16 PM

movies usually based on books arent that amazing

Barbarossa
10-17-2005, 08:37 AM

...but not always, so why the pessimism? :huh:

I too am waiting for the movie. ;)

DanB
10-17-2005, 05:05 PM

Thats right, they usually fuck the story right up.

For a prime example read the book 'Hannibal' and then watch the film. Its almost like two different stories :(

scales1
10-20-2005, 01:54 PM
For a prime example read the book 'Hannibal' and then watch the film. Its almost like two different stories :([/QUOTE]

It is not always bad. Sometimes there are good movies, even if they are different from the book. I didn't like "Da Vinci code" but the idea has potential, so the movie may be actually better than the book. :)

maebach
10-20-2005, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE] For a prime example read the book 'Hannibal' and then watch the film. Its almost like two different stories :(

It is not always bad. Sometimes there are good movies, even if they are different from the book. I didn't like "Da Vinci code" but the idea has potential, so the movie may be actually better than the book. :)

True, but we dont know until we watch it. Plus, everybody has different views on books and movies.

Barbarossa
10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
The "Lord of the rings" trilogy were good films based on very good books.

maebach
10-21-2005, 07:25 PM
The "Lord of the rings" trilogy were good films based on very good books.

I hope they make "A Hobbit" film, I would definetely watch that. They should stop making bad remakes.

oceansgurlie
11-11-2005, 11:58 PM
did anybody else think that deception point was so much better?

i really didn't like the way that the da vinci code had so much height, and then the end resolve really wasn't such a big deal (or at least it seemed that way for me)

Chewie
11-12-2005, 08:47 AM
I read Angels & Demons last week and couldn't put it down; it's definitely one of the best books I've read.

Having borrowed The Da Vinci Code from my son, I'm about 200 pages in and really enjoying it.
Jean Reno (someone I've enjoyed watching since Leon) will be absolutely perfect as Fache and although I'm no great fan of Hanks, I think he'll do a good job as Langdon.

Although my bookcase is filled mainly with Stephen King, James Herbert, John Wyndham and Frederick Forsyth, I feel a new author bargeing his way onto its shelves.

Barbarossa
11-14-2005, 11:21 AM

i really didn't like the way that the da vinci code had so much height, and then the end resolve really wasn't such a big deal (or at least it seemed that way for me)

No, I thought both Deception Point and Digital Fortress were terrible! It's a shame, because I really enjoyed Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons :dabs:

manker
11-14-2005, 12:25 PM

No, I thought both Deception Point and Digital Fortress were terrible! It's a shame, because I really enjoyed Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons :dabs:I thought the political intrigue in both was great, I do love these convoluted governmental conspiracies - which may explain why I keep rewatching Prison Break - but I digress.

Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code were eminently similar, as was Deception Point and Digital Fortress, depending on which genre you prefer I suspect you'll find yourself leaning toward one or t'other of the pairs of books. Political intrigue Vs Religious Dogma.

I didn't think the books were that deep but immensely enjoyed the story-telling and the subtle nuance he included in all four books. I read the religion based ones before the more political oriented books and after I'd read them all, I realised that I actually enjoyed reading the political ones more.

dodgy368
11-29-2005, 05:15 PM
There is a dvdrip of the da vinci code on the torrent sites called origins.of.the.da.vinci.code.2005.ntsc.dvdr-jei, do NOT download it cos it's a very boring documentary.:(

DanB
12-02-2005, 09:00 PM
I didn't really get into Angels & Demons and it has sat gathering dust on my book case for the last 8 months

manker
12-03-2005, 11:31 AM
There is a dvdrip of the da vinci code on the torrent sites called origins.of.the.da.vinci.code.2005.ntsc.dvdr-jei, do NOT download it cos it's a very boring documentary.:(Thanks for the anti-heads up. It was quality.

Bit far fetched but not boring in the slightest :snooty:

thewizeard
12-04-2005, 05:49 PM
...maybe some of those people who believe and claim they are Jesus incarnate, really are :)

manker
12-04-2005, 06:12 PM
...maybe some of those people who believe and claim they are Jesus incarnate, really are :)What's that got to do with the Da Vinci Code.

GepperRankins
12-04-2005, 09:44 PM
There is a dvdrip of the da vinci code on the torrent sites called origins.of.the.da.vinci.code.2005.ntsc.dvdr-jei, do NOT download it cos it's a very boring documentary.:(Thanks for the anti-heads up. It was quality.

Bit far fetched but not boring in the slightest :snooty:
pretty interesting, but the longer they went on, the more it started to look like coincidence :dabs:

thewizeard
12-11-2005, 10:00 PM
...maybe some of those people who believe and claim they are Jesus incarnate, really are :)What's that got to do with the Da Vinci Code.

Did it seem off-topic? I was refering to the real da Vinci code... and the Holy Grail.

manker
12-12-2005, 04:17 PM
...maybe some of those people who believe and claim they are Jesus incarnate, really are What's that got to do with the Da Vinci Code.

Did it seem off-topic? I was refering to the real da Vinci code... and the Holy Grail.Nope, still not with you.

baccyman
12-13-2005, 09:29 AM
i was watching a program on channel 4 last night( uk tv ) that was all about opus dei and they were pointing out the mistakes that dan brown had made in his book . it was interesting and goes to show that the book was fiction.

Barbarossa
12-13-2005, 10:09 AM
i was watching a program on channel 4 last night( uk tv ) that was all about opus dei and they were pointing out the mistakes that dan brown had made in his book . it was interesting and goes to show that the book was fiction.

I thought we all knew it was fiction. Well, all of us with the possible exception of those people who applied to Channel 4's Space Cadets programme. :dabs:

Cheese
12-13-2005, 01:39 PM
I look forward to a similar exposé on the fictionalness* of Harry Potter.

* And the fictionalness of this word.

worldpease
12-14-2005, 01:44 AM
just today, we got the 'Cracking The DaVinci Code' DVD on the store,
so I was whatching it and it seemed pretty interesting, low budget, but interesting.
Also, I thougt the host was wierd, there was something strange about him,
anyone noticed it?.

and also, now that I remember,
the made no mention of Opus Dei, isn't that funny?

worldpease
12-15-2005, 03:40 AM
The 'trailer' just aired on Acces Hollywood,
my TV reception was really poor but still, it was pretty exiting,
many of the scenes look just like I had imagined when reading the book.

They say its aired before 'King Kong' starts.
I hope the HD vertion is Up soon.