PDA

View Full Version : PS3 media

Busyman
10-18-2004, 06:10 AM
...is reported to use the Blu-Ray disc which holds...

54 GB!!!

of data. :o :o :01:

Sony is also working on a single optical pickup for CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray.

I guess that's important for backward compatibility.

asmithz
10-18-2004, 06:19 AM
Although $ony has already committed (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4534) to plans incorporating the upcoming Blu-Ray (25GB single-layer/50GB dual-layer) Discs for the PlayStation 3 console, the "alternative" Next-Gen media known as HD-DVDs (15GB single-layer/30GB dual-layer) may still be implemented in future Micro$oft/Nintendo consoles. For example, GameCube's current 1.5GB Optical Discs deliver a proprietary, piracy-resistant storage solution, however, as we all know developers quickly fill the discs up. For this reason, there is a good chance HD-DVD may be a viable option as opposed to the more costly implementation of Blue-Ray Discs.

To speculate briefly, if PlayStation 3 performs half as well as its predecessor more than 40 million people around the world would eventually own a Blu-Ray player bringing down the associated technology costs... simply by owning a PS3! As detailed above, Blu-Ray Discs promise storage space advantages over HD-DVD Discs for developers resulting in even more cinematic games. Finally, Blu-Ray discs can potentially store extra game content too that can be unlocked when activated on-line... so the possibilities are endless indeed, but only time will tell for certain!

http://www.ps2ownz.com/Blue-Ray_HD-DVD.gif

There looking into HD-DVD too

cpt_azad
10-18-2004, 06:25 AM
wow, 50+ gb jesus christ. wonder what hard drives will be in a year or 2? (i'm guessing the norm would be 2TB+)

asmithz
10-18-2004, 06:28 AM
1tb is the furter

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Jan/bch20040115023453.htm

Just have to wait till it becomes IDE and cheaper

Busyman
10-18-2004, 06:44 AM
There looking into HD-DVD too
Actually, no they aren't.

Blu-Ray is mostly Sony's baby so why would they use a competing format? :blink:

Here's a list of founders:
http://www.blu-raydisc.info/img_cmn/FW/bd_logoM.gif

Dell, Inc.
Hewlett-Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Thomson

20th Century Fox is also invloved.

cpt_azad
10-18-2004, 06:44 AM
1tb is the furter

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Jan/bch20040115023453.htm

Just have to wait till it becomes IDE and cheaper

that's more than 1 dollar per GB, i think i'll wait ;)

asmithz
10-18-2004, 06:49 AM
the "alternative" Next-Gen media known as HD-DVDs (15GB single-layer/30GB dual-layer) may still be implemented in future Micro$oft/Nintendo consoles

Its a alternative, sony will still do blu-ray. Dosent mean they cant look into it.

@cpt_azad, yeah thats a little to much for me. I would just get 2 500gigs, that would save alot of money.

cpt_azad
10-18-2004, 06:50 AM
the "alternative" Next-Gen media known as HD-DVDs (15GB single-layer/30GB dual-layer) may still be implemented in future Micro$oft/Nintendo consoles

Its a alternative, sony will still do blu-ray

so is that official? oh and do you know when PS3 will come out officially? i heard 2006, could be wrong though...

Busyman
10-18-2004, 06:52 AM
The backers of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray know that putting the respective technologies in game consoles amount to a Trojan horse for early adopters.

asmithz
10-18-2004, 06:52 AM
so is that official? oh and do you know when PS3 will come out officially? i heard 2006, could be wrong though...

Xbox 2 (Xenon) will be here late 2005, and PS3 will be here early 2006. I think that is what i heard.

I think it might take longer :dry:

cpt_azad
10-18-2004, 06:56 AM
Xbox 2 (Xenon) will be here late 2005, and PS3 will be here early 2006. I think that is what i heard.

okay did some googling, and found out that xbox 2 (xenon) will not have backwards compatibility (:angry: those feckin bastards :angry: :angry: ). so does this mean PS3 wont have it too (considering they're using totally diff. technology, hd-dvd's and what not)??

Busyman
10-18-2004, 06:59 AM
okay did some googling, and found out that xbox 2 (xenon) will not have backwards compatibility (:angry: those feckin bastards :angry: :angry: ). so does this mean PS3 wont have it too (considering they're using totally diff. technology, hd-dvd's and what not)??
Read my first post....carefully. :dry:

cpt_azad
10-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Read my first post....carefully. :dry:

hey, u gotta cut me some slack, fasting isn't as easy as it sounds :P, well actually it is, but you do get dizzy most of the times, especially when it comes to concentrating :(

asmithz
10-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Why would you need backwards compatibility? When do you play PS1 game?

Anyways i dont think PS3 or Xenon will be backwards compatibility. I know for sure Xenon wont be backwards compatibility, but PS3 is just said that wont.

SingaBoiy
10-18-2004, 07:02 AM
I would love to get my hands on Blast Chamber and Twisted Metal 2 for Ps1. ;)

cpt_azad
10-18-2004, 07:03 AM
I would love to get my hands on Blast Chamber and Twisted Metal 2 for Ps1. ;)

lol, "back in the day" games :)

asmithz
10-18-2004, 07:06 AM
They annoy me, yeah they were good then, but now there painful. Controls, graphic, and how short they are.

@SingaBoiy, try suprnova, and play them on your comp.

Busyman
10-18-2004, 07:07 AM

Anyways i dont think PS3 or Xenon will be backwards compatibility. I know for sure Xenon wont be backwards compatibility, but PS3 is just said that wont.
Well backwards compatiblity went a long way for the PS2. What a huge library!!!
It actually was their main advantage against the other systems starting out.

It was said awhile ago that if anything, the PS3 wouldn't play PS1 games.

If it can't play PS2 games then playing field would be seriously leveled for Microsoft and Nintendo.

I think it's a horrible move for Xbox Next to nix backward compatiblity. They have already nixed the hard drive. :dry:

cpt_azad
10-18-2004, 07:08 AM

If it can't play PS2 games then playing field would be seriously leveled for Microsoft and Nintendo.

I think it's a horrible move for Xbox Next to nix backward compatiblity. They have already nixed the hard drive. :dry:

ya read about that awhile back :dry: i'm prob. not gonna buy xbox2 unless i know you can mod it to have a hdd, but that's highly unlikely. all this to cut down on piracy, geez, mico$oft is gonna lose a lot of money for making that move. those bastards :dry: :angry:

asmithz
10-18-2004, 07:09 AM
Yea i forgot about that, no hard drive. Maybey, they didnt like the piracy.

Anywas, it will last a year before people stop complainging about the backwards compatibility.

Busyman
10-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Yea i forgot about that, no hard drive. Maybey, they didnt like the piracy.

Anywas, it will last a year before people stop complainging about the backwards compatibility.
...and that's precious time they need not lose.

Dark Ride
10-18-2004, 03:05 PM
hey, u gotta cut me some slack, fasting isn't as easy as it sounds :P, well actually it is, but you do get dizzy most of the times, especially when it comes to concentrating :( ya, fasting makes me feel dizzy to ... it's 5:16 pm now and "iftar" is at 6:02 pm.I need to kill some time :ghostface

Spam-King
10-18-2004, 06:30 PM
stop complayining, my 10 year old brothers fasting

silent h3ro
10-18-2004, 07:37 PM

I think it's a horrible move for Xbox Next to nix backward compatiblity. They have already nixed the hard drive. :dry:Microsoft is probably really pissed about that Halo2 piracy incident so they are going to make sure no one can pirate Microsoft's Xbox2 games so they don't run into anther problem with another popular game. (e.g. Halo3 on Xbox2)

dinner123
10-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Sony still want to support the PS2 for a while after launching PS3.
IF you still wanna play PS2 games when PS3 is out, just keep it under your tv.