PDA

View Full Version : Arafat

ruthie
10-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Well, what do you think will happen in the Middle East if Arafat dies?
Sharon is finally making a move to pull out of sttlements, he is constantly bombarded with death threats. This is long overdue, and I wondering just how much occupied territory Sharon intends with the "return". Hopefully, all of it.
Meanwhile, if Arafat dies, that leaves what? Hezbollah?

hobbes
10-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Well, what do you think will happen in the Middle East if Arafat dies?
Sharon is finally making a move to pull out of sttlements, he is constantly bombarded with death threats. This is long overdue, and I wondering just how much occupied territory Sharon intends with the "return". Hopefully, all of it.
Meanwhile, if Arafat dies, that leaves what? Hezbollah?

Good question, I don't think I am qualified to answer, though I do have an opinion.

I will maintain the pose that a fool is counted among the wise when he is silent.

cpt_azad
10-28-2004, 12:50 AM
if arafat dies, a civil uprising or more terrorist attacks might happen, just an opinion. and no, as long as there is an Israel, not all of the land will be returned.

ruthie
10-28-2004, 03:17 AM
That's pretty much how I see it.

ruthie
10-28-2004, 03:20 AM
to clarify...I feel that the occupied territory should be returned.

Everose
10-28-2004, 03:27 AM
Good question, I don't think I am qualified to answer, though I do have an opinion.

I will maintain the pose that a fool is counted among the wise when he is silent.

I can only say, Mr. Hobbes, that if I had your wisdom and your analytical ability, I would be a fool not to post. ;)

Your posts, and your opinions, also, have encouraged me to think on my own, and I appreciate that about you. :flowers:

cpt_azad
10-28-2004, 04:45 AM
to clarify...I feel that the occupied territory should be returned.
that would mean all of israel, since 1947 israel has ignored dozens of resolutions passed by the UN and no one gives a damn, and when Iraq kicks out UN inspector's, Bush goes crazy and launches an attack on a sovereign nation which never had any WMD's to begin with.

history:

Nov. 29, 1947
The United Nations proposes to partition Palestine into Jewish and Arab states with Jerusalem under international control. The U.S. and Russia approve of the plan, but Britain abstains. The Zionist movement - pushing for an independent state - reluctantly accepts the proposal that is denounced by Arab states. Arabs feel that the U.N. has no right to make such a deal.

the UN has no right what-so-ever to take a country and give away it's land. i wonder what people will say if tomorrow the UN says let's take Israel, rename it back to Palestine, and give all the land back to it's rightful owners (and that includes jews, because they lived in palestine befoire 1947, don't forget that)., hypothetically of course. Think of all the people that would say "WTF, that's racism or that's not right, blah blah blah). total bull:shit: is what i call it, alas, i doubt that will ever happen. IMHO, this was THE biggest mistake the UN ever made (1947), not just because it's wrong, but because they failed to see the consequences and repercussions involved.

scroff
10-28-2004, 07:17 AM
You have to go a little further back, cpt... Palestine was part of the Ottoman Empire until WW I, after which it came under the control of the Brits. The Balfour Declaration of 1917 was one of the first "official" mentions of a Jewish Homeland in Palestine...

It was only after struggling to implement the declaration that it was turned over to the UN.

I can't talk about after Arafat dies... I only hope he finds a successor that is acceptable to the Palistinians first.

I'm also impressed by Sharon, and very surprised... I think he'll be assasinated...

Spam-King
10-28-2004, 08:06 AM
what were they fighting over again?

Rat Faced
10-28-2004, 10:13 AM
I think that Arafat's dying will also be the end of the old PLO, which is now the Palestinian Authority.

This organisation has been losing influence ever sinse the Camp David agreement was unillaterally ripped up by Sharron, and the more Relgious Orientated organisations have been gaining the influence.

I have always maintained that you can negotiate with a Nationalist Organisation such as the PLO... You cant negotiate with a Fundamental Religious organisation.

In essence, his death will double (at least) the violence in the area, in my opinion.

ruthie
10-28-2004, 01:30 PM
In essence, his death will double (at least) the violence in the area, in my opinion.
agreed.

Storm
10-28-2004, 02:03 PM
yes, though arafat doesnt have much power, he does have influence.......

did i miss anything btw? is arafat dying, or is this just a hypothetical thing?

ruthie
10-28-2004, 02:05 PM
He's pretty sick..Sounds like he's deciding whether or not to go to hospital. He's been sick for a few weeks, and yesterday it reached somewhat of a climax. His wife is flying in...she hasn't been there in 3 years. Israel has said he has "permission" to fly abroad for treatment, if so desired. They have yet to assure that he will be allowed to return..

DanB
10-28-2004, 02:06 PM
yes, though arafat doesnt have much power, he does have influence.......

did i miss anything btw? is arafat dying, or is this just a hypothetical thing?

He's rather ill. Last I heard on the news last night he was unconsious in his compound

Update (http://news.google.com/news?q=arafat&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&sa=N&tab=nn&oi=newsr)

Storm
10-28-2004, 02:12 PM
"The decision will come in a few hours," he said, adding that Arafat's condition was stable, and he was still fasting.

:shock: i thought the sick didnt have to fast

damn SOB, why wont he eat.....

Spam-King
10-28-2004, 03:32 PM
probably due to fasting

Storm
10-28-2004, 04:10 PM
i meant that i wasnt good if he dies :(

lol

Biggles
10-28-2004, 05:30 PM
It is Ramadan - hence the fasting

I think if the Israelis thought they would be better off without Arafat he would be dead already. There will be a power struggle if he dies (or is permanently incapacitated). It is not clear who would win the struggle but whatever the outcome it is unlikely to improve the chances of peace in the region.

With regards to Sharron, I suspect he is a little too wily to fall to an assassin.

Spam-King
10-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Latest:

Arafat to get treatment in France

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3963325.stm
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40455000/jpg/_40455293_arafat203ap.jpg

scroff
10-28-2004, 08:13 PM
It is Ramadan - hence the fastingI believe fasting during Ramadan is only during daylight hours.

manker
10-28-2004, 08:30 PM
I believe fasting during Ramadan is only during daylight hours.
Indeed. I should hope that they do eat a little at night, what with Ramadan lasting a month. ;)

sArA
10-28-2004, 09:20 PM
I just wish that he had found a worthy successor...his reluctance to do so is not good for either side. If he dies or becomes incapacitated, whoever seizes control...I think it is likely to be a fundamentalist religious group, which does not bode well for violence in the area. :(

ruthie
10-28-2004, 09:27 PM
He's on his way to Paris now...he didn't look too good on TV. He has a blood platelet problem..they don't know why.

Rat Faced
10-28-2004, 09:30 PM
He hasnt looked healthy for about 10-15 years...

The fact that they are acknowledging he's ill, is the most worrying part :unsure:

ruthie
10-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Yes, but I guess if it comes down to him having to travel abroad..well that would be hard to keep hidden. Not only that, Israel had to "grant" permission for him to leave the compound, as well as guarentee he will be able to return. This is the beginning of the end, and all hell is going to break loose.

hobbes
10-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Why is he wearing a stocking cap in the photo?

I wonder if he is trying to mask baldness. Low platelets and baldness could be a result of cancer treatment. Plus he looks sickly thin.

Neo 721
10-30-2004, 11:18 PM
Well it isnt Leukemia apparently.
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1098851590225&p=1006688055060