PDA

View Full Version : Please help - can't move or anything

Mr. Mulder
11-04-2004, 10:09 PM
My computer had been playing up for a while now so I
formated the c drive and reinstalled winXP Home And now that it's installed,

everything is stuttering, I can barely move up and down on an interweb page or folder
I can't get into my task manager, when I open it it closes straight away, I can just
about see it as it flashes up and then goes. I can barely move or do anything, this
message might not even reach the board. Also I there's spyware on the machine
as I'm getting pop ups saying to go to this site to get rid of them ect and there's some
listed under the program files but I can't delete them becasue they're in use and I can't
get into task manager - I've basically be pwnd :(

Any ideas on what's happened and what will fix it? I tried getting avg but the instelation
just goes away half way through.

It's pointless giving links to sites,
chances are I can't see them <_<

excues the spelling, I can't spell and got nothing to check it with :unsure:

it's taken over 30mins to post this

ilw
11-04-2004, 10:54 PM
try booting up in safe mode (keep tapping f8 while comp boots up). Hopefully you'll have more control of your computer and you'll be able to delete stuff.
Check you've installed graphics card drivers otherwise scrolling and things like that are often really slow and jerky.
Install avg if possible in safe mode, or do an online scan (check the antivirus topic in the tips section for places to get a scan).
Install spybot search and destroy and do a scan, (there may be places you can do an online scan for spyware, but i don't know any off the top of my head).

You can stop some things from starting by either getting a registry editor (if anyone knows a good one please suggest, i just use an old one that probably isn't even available anymore), or by going
Start -> Run -> type msconfig
and selecting in the options what you want to run on startup.

Hope something there helps

tesco
11-04-2004, 11:01 PM
scan for viruses and spyware.

isntall video drivers too.

Izagaia
11-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Many pre-SP1 XP systems get hit with malwares as they are first connecting to the internet to download updates from Microsoft. Or when they associate/create/configure their .netpassports for Messenger.

If this is the case, then you may want to attempt searching for a version of XP Home that has SP1 or SP2 streamlined into it.

If that is not the case and you still are having problems then I would have to believe that your woes go deeper than just just drivers or viruses. I would start looking at the hardware itself. XP's pre-installed drivers should be plenty adequate to make your system functional until you can find the specific ones you need.

peat moss
11-05-2004, 01:14 AM
Many pre-SP1 XP systems get hit with malwares as they are first connecting to the internet to download updates from Microsoft. Or when they associate/create/configure their .netpassports for Messenger.

If this is the case, then you may want to attempt searching for a version of XP Home that has SP1 or SP2 streamlined into it.

If that is not the case and you still are having problems then I would have to believe that your woes go deeper than just just drivers or viruses. I would start looking at the hardware itself. XP's pre-installed drivers should be plenty adequate to make your system functional until you can find the specific ones you need.

Ya you have to have an anti virus and firewall installed even with sp1. Then update windows for critical packages. I hear from my friends about their woes all the time ,after formatting then trying to access the net. ;) Thats after a give them a slipstreamed xp disk . [sp1] I allways tell them to disable messenger service aswell.

Mr. Mulder
11-05-2004, 12:24 PM
I'm on my old 98 machine now so I can move about ;)

Right, when I tap F8 on the boot up It just asks me where I'd like to boot from? I chose the WinXP disk and was gonna format again to see if it would make a difference but when It finished loading all the hardware, it said ohci1394.sys is corrupt, then it says that it's failed and to press any key to restart. This just happens again and again :unsure:

What is the file that's corrupt? Is it a windows file and can I format with out windows?

Also, If I switched to something lke Linux, would it solve all my problems?

Jg427
11-05-2004, 12:31 PM
If you can still download, here's some stuff to try.
If you can't, try downloading to another pc and transfering it.

To use instead of taskmanager, download Process Explorer (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml)
After you end process on some of the bad files, try and online scan.

Panda's Active Scan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/co...n_principal.htm (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm)

Trend Micro (PC-cillin) - Free on-line Scan
http://housecall.antivirus.com

RAV Antivirus Online Scan
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

eTrust AV web scanner (Computer Associates)
http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virusscan.aspx

If you can't get the online scan to run, download Stinger (http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/) and run it while in safemode.

You can also try uninstalling bad programs that are listed in add/remove programs while in safemode.

Download hijackthis and post a log . Don't fix anything with it yet, most of the stuff listed is needed.

Download from one of these locations:
http://tools.radiosplace.com/HijackThis.exe
http://www.downloads.subratam.org/hijackthis.zip
http://spywarewarrior.com/files/HijackThis.exe

HCT
11-05-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm on my old 98 machine now so I can move about ;)

Right, when I tap F8 on the boot up It just asks me where I'd like to boot from? I chose the WinXP disk and was gonna format again to see if it would make a difference but when It finished loading all the hardware, it said ohci1394.sys is corrupt, then it says that it's failed and to press any key to restart. This just happens again and again :unsure:

What is the file that's corrupt? Is it a windows file and can I format with out windows?

Also, If I switched to something lke Linux, would it solve all my problems?

Use KillDisk to reformat with out using the winxp disk

Mr. Mulder
11-05-2004, 01:09 PM
@Jg427, Thanks for all those links but I can't really view any web pages now, barely anything shows up and downloads quit halfway through instelation :(

@HCT, thanks,I'll try that KillDisk

What I'd like to know Is once I've formated the drive, would it then be safe to install a version of Linux?

I've got one rewritter to share between the two comps so would it be as simple as d/l Linux, burning to disk and useing it as a boot disk? (does the same go for KillDisk?)

(Also, which distro's best for noobs and is it legit free or a p2p job?)

Had it with Windows now! :angry:

Virtualbody1234
11-05-2004, 01:14 PM
It sounds like you need to install the graphics card drivers.

Mr. Mulder
11-05-2004, 01:26 PM
It sounds like you need to install the graphics card drivers.
I'm useing on board graphics:unsure:

DanB
11-05-2004, 01:33 PM
You'd still need to install them

I do for mine :blushing:

Mr. Mulder
11-05-2004, 01:38 PM
i can't find them :blushing:

anyway, fluck windows! i want linux :lol: been reading up on it and it sounds great! :01:

Smurfette
11-05-2004, 03:01 PM
i can't find them :blushing:

anyway, fluck windows! i want linux :lol: been reading up on it and it sounds great! :01:
LOL

Filliz
11-05-2004, 03:42 PM
Ya you have to have an anti virus and firewall installed even with sp1. Then update windows for critical packages. I hear from my friends about their woes all the time ,after formatting then trying to access the net. ;) Thats after a give them a slipstreamed xp disk . [sp1] I allways tell them to disable messenger service aswell.

isn't it better to install the critical packages first,and then av and firewall? :huh:
When I reinstalled my XP,first thing I did was get an AV and firewall.
Took me no more then 5 minutes to get it.
After that I scanned and found a lot of nasty troj's and other crap :dry:

Five freakin' minutes online :angry:

Mr. Mulder
11-05-2004, 04:02 PM
stoopid isn't it :dry:

I've got mandrake 10.0 d/l now :01:

tesco
11-05-2004, 04:05 PM
stoopid isn't it :dry:

I've got mandrake 10.0 d/l now :01:
You're gonna have a rough fist couple hours\days with linux. :P

Mr. Mulder
11-05-2004, 04:10 PM
:blink: why? is it hard to install or get used to? :unsure:

I've used windows all my life (probably where the ill temper comes from :angry: )

tesco
11-05-2004, 04:20 PM
:blink: why? is it hard to install or get used to? :unsure:

I've used windows all my life (probably where the ill temper comes from :angry: )
installation is real easy.

once your in it all looks different than windows. you'll be trying to do stuff and not able to find where the option is...
but you'll get used to it.

Mr. Mulder
11-06-2004, 11:32 AM
when I could d/l and got FireFox and AVG,I made a folder called setups to store the .exe's for them both, I came back later to find that there were two more files added, one called "fuckers" and another called "applebanana"? :unsure:

So it means it's a virus or someone elses doing right? :unsure:

DanB
11-06-2004, 12:14 PM
when I could d/l and got FireFox and AVG,I made a folder called setups to store the .exe's for them both, I came back later to find that there were two more files added, one called "fuckers" and another called "applebanana"? :unsure:

So it means it's a virus or someone elses doing right? :unsure:

Sounds that way.

You using linux yet?

I am just trying out a couple of the live disks, so far so good :)

Mr. Mulder
11-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Sounds that way.

You using linux yet?

I am just trying out a couple of the live disks, so far so good :)
I'm still trying to d/l mandrake but I'm having to use my old comp, it keeps getting to 99% and then stops saying that there's not enough space, but there is :unsure:

DanB
11-06-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm still trying to d/l mandrake but I'm having to use my old comp, it keeps getting to 99% and then stops saying that there's not enough space, but there is :unsure:

Thats not good, it happened to me last night after 80 minutes and 75% :lol:

I am trying out a couple of live cd's atm, currently using Mandrake Move as we speak. I quite like it.

Mr. Mulder
11-06-2004, 02:31 PM
from what you've seen, do you think it's better than windows? :unsure:

(trying to d/l Fedora/Red Hat, it might just be mandrake that it won't do :unsure: )

ObiWan
11-06-2004, 03:58 PM
You have to remember that Linux cannot run most windows software