PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new PC :)

Robert00000
11-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Advent 3118, P4 3.06 Ghz (533 FSB), 512 MB DDR RAM (2700), 120 GB HD (replaced with 320 GB drives from other system), 128 Mb Gforce FX5200 graphics. etc. The motherboard is a ECS 661FX-M.

What can i safely overclock the processor to?

Peerzy
11-06-2004, 02:01 PM
WHy would you try to overclock? By the way the ram is to slow i would say to OC and he graphics card will have problems with games like Doom 3.

tesco
11-06-2004, 03:00 PM
what are the temps?

if they're low then start slowly ocing it (you know how? if not read the guide).

peerxy, why are you so against it yet you wrote a guide on ocing. :rolleyes:

Virtualbody1234
11-06-2004, 03:22 PM
I think it's a valid question. Why try overclock if you buy a prebuilt PC?

Btw, I never heard of Advent.

vivitron 15
11-06-2004, 03:47 PM
youd need much faster RAM in there, but thats cheap enough (relativley)

then just see how far you can oc - take it slowly, check for stability and temp..

a fairly safe oc to aim for is 15% = 3.5Ghz. should get this without struggling, though check overclockers.com, see what other people have got with that chip

Storm
11-06-2004, 04:12 PM
What can i safely overclock the processor to?

the safest overclock is just not doing it at all......

and like rossco said, you should really look at the temps.......

someone living in scandinavia will prolly be able to OC alot higher than someone in salt lake city......

Virtualbody1234
11-06-2004, 04:32 PM
someone living in scandinavia will prolly be able to OC alot higher than someone in salt lake city......
I guess that would depend on the season or the building's heating/cooling system. ;)

Mr. Elmo
11-06-2004, 05:09 PM
like others says, why try to oc it. Most people oc just for bragging rights, if you dont the extra speed, and you wont in daily task, such as websurfing, word processing, you wont notice the difference in ocing. seeing that you bought comp with a 5200, i wouldnt think you're a hardcore gamers either, so i wouldnt think you need to oc it. Besides, a 3ghz cpu is plenty for most jobs

bigdawgfoxx
11-07-2004, 06:07 AM
Whats buying a new PC? haha

Mïcrösöül°V³
11-07-2004, 10:44 AM
sides, the pc he has isnt exactly top of the line anyway. 533mhz FSB and pc2700 isnt exactly OC material anyway.(unless hes running benchies for comparison) My pc is 800mhz FSB 3.2ghz pc3200, and i dont give a rats ass about oc'ing. Overclocking is for the guys who like to push their stuff to the max. Overclocking will NOT get you any benefit for the standard user.......like was said....its bragging rights. You will not notice any speed increase if you overclock, because chances are, you will bottle neck (ram) and get pissed and try to figure out why your pc is acting stupid....blah blah blah.......dont waste your time and energy. IF YOUR PC WORKS FINE...LEAVE IT BE. Overclocking sure does have its mis-conceptions dont it?

Afronaut
11-07-2004, 10:58 AM
I guess that would depend on the season or the building's heating/cooling system. ;)

In my hometown, we get easily 25c. on July and -25c on January.
The changes are huge.

The humidity is the main thing that pisses me off, it can get really dry
on winter, which ultimately make changes on my hardware (guitars).

I have to do a lot of extra tweaking on setups because of that.

But yeah, I've noticed the PC running hotter on summertimes,
but that all depends how warm you keep your flat.
In some summerdays, one has the 25c no matter what (well, maybe air condition, but not too many folks has it)
and in winter if one tryes to save Electricity or Wood from not warming so much
(like I do) the temperature in the rooms can go down to 18ish, or even more.

I wonder if the humidity affects the PC somehow so much that it would have to be taken to consideration, i doubt it thought.

Robert00000
11-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Just thought if i'd be able to OC to 4 ghz :ohmy: , but have to intention to keep it oc'd for long.

Its amazing how little noise the system makes compared to my athlon xp 2000+ (which this replaced). The low noise level alone justifies buying from a large manufacturer over self-build IMO :)

The athlon xp system i built myself made a huge racket even with relatively quite fans.

Peerzy
11-07-2004, 01:19 PM
peerxy, why are you so against it yet you wrote a guide on ocing. :rolleyes:
I think that people who buy a pc brand new and it coems with 128mb graphics card (so its automatically the best out there) and 1gb of ram (even though it could be super slow) shouldnt jump into OCing. And why OC a brand new pc that you havnt even tested at all and risk losing your brand new pc?

People should only OC if they have looked into it, know what parts they need and are aware of the risks. I would say Robert00000 was hoping to go into the BIOS find where it says 3.0GHz and push that to like 4GHz and then go play some Doom3 all happy with himself. Not considering side effects, cooling and so on.

@Robert00000 - no offence ment.

clocker
11-07-2004, 02:26 PM
The low noise level alone justifies buying from a large manufacturer over self-build IMO :)

The athlon xp system i built myself made a huge racket even with relatively quite fans.

In my experience the "low noise level" of most manufactured boxes is the result of having marginal cooling capabilities.
No fans=no noise.

This minor annoyance may be offset by the ability to fry eggs on the roof of your case however.

Peerzy
11-07-2004, 02:29 PM
In my experience the "low noise level" of most manufactured boxes is the result of having marginal cooling capabilities.
No fans=no noise.

This minor annoyance may be offset by the ability to fry eggs on the roof of your case however.
When you self build you try anbd get the best proformance, when you buy from a shop they try and get as much money as possible and cut corners like fans and good heatsinks.

Robert00000
11-07-2004, 07:22 PM
No fans=no noise.

This minor annoyance may be offset by the ability to fry eggs on the roof of your case however.Actually the cooling is more sophisticated than that, the fan increases in speed only when i'm doing movie encoding or something else that puts a serious demand on the processors capabilities.

The PSU is only 300 Watts and even when the fan is working really hard it still makes minimal noise.

I think a lot of people have systems that are overtly noisy to illustrate the percieved power of their system. This new system is much powerfuller than the athlon xp i had yet it makes about 1/5 of the noise.

I've also owned a compaq system for many years and it also makes very little noise, and is the most reliable system i've had.

Mr. Elmo
11-07-2004, 07:58 PM
the case materials also contribute to how much noise your pc makes. I had a prebuild dell a while ago and it made zero noise....but when i put it into a new case, it started making a ton of noise...this could be due to the side panel fan grills that allow me to hear the cpu fan itself or the case doesnt keep as much noise in due to its weak non heavy metal construction like the dell.