PDA

View Full Version : Browser: Avant<Firefox

LilAznAccommodator
11-07-2004, 12:57 AM
I was just curious. . . I have tested many Internet Browsers and coem to my top 3 which are

(No specific Order)
Avant
FireFox
Opera

And I am unsure as to which I should stick primarily to.. And Opera if I remeber doens't support Gmail at the moment... But I was just curious what is a good overall "fast" browser.. and I am not a complicated person so I like my browser to be all slima nd have as less buttons as possible... But if your recommendation involves a browser that has tons of buttons that are custimizable that is ok...

But I was just wanting to get your oopinions on Internet Browsers, thanks.

Harsh!
11-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Im using currently Maxthon(formerly MYIE2), its based on IE6's engine, but its a cool browser. Lets you access "Blindows Up-date"..
In my opinion if you want less "buttons" then Firefox is the way to go

LilAznAccommodator
11-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Im using currently Maxthon(formerly MYIE2), its based on IE6's engine, but its a cool browser. Lets you access "Blindows Up-date"..
In my opinion if you want less "buttons" then Firefox is the way to go

Sorry to ask..But what exactly does Maxthon do and stuff?

ahctlucabbuS
11-07-2004, 01:13 AM
I just made the change to firefox, and I'm happy.

Opera is good as well, but you'd have to pay (or crack I suppose) to get rid of the ads.

Harsh!
11-07-2004, 01:23 AM
Sorry to ask..But what exactly does Maxthon do and stuff?

It has Tabbed Browsing among other things.....
Have a look at there site HERE (http://www.maxthon.com/en/index.htm)

DanB
11-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Firefox rocks my world :wub:

Peerzy
11-07-2004, 01:27 AM
I made sweet love with my firefox on christmas eve and chrismas day..... :wub:

DanB
11-07-2004, 01:28 AM
Perv :dry:

LilAznAccommodator
11-07-2004, 01:30 AM
heh i just switched to FireFox and I am wondering how you set it so that it Auto-Tabs....

I am sure you dont' know what I mean... Well example:

I click a link let's say on the site, such as the link that Harsh provided, and it opens a new WINDOW, but I want it to just open up a new TAB is it possible to customize it that way? Because for Avant (Browser) it automatically opened outside links in a new tab. . .

Also... I was just curious as to what are some good themes to use with Firefox.. Thanks

DanB
11-07-2004, 01:32 AM
Have you got the tabbrowser extensions exxtension yet? :unsure:

You can do it and tweak it all up in there

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=111

Harsh!
11-07-2004, 01:47 AM
Got any links to extensions that will let me access Windows Update??

DanB
11-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Got any links to extensions that will let me access Windows Update??

:01: (http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=915)

Harsh!
11-07-2004, 01:59 AM
Thats the only thing that keeps me from changing to this browser completely....
Its no good having 2 browsers to do 10 different jobs IMO

DanB
11-07-2004, 02:00 AM
Thats the only thing that keeps me from changing to this browser completely....
Its no good having 2 browsers to do 10 different jobs IMO

Did you click the smilie? :unsure:

Harsh!
11-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Nope....will do now...lol

EDIT: What i mean is if i install Firefox as my Primary browser, I want to uninstall IE and access Blindows Up-Date through Firefox...
Dont think Billy gates is gonna let that happen any time soon...
Thanks for that link though!!!!...Handy to have

tesco
11-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Just leave IE on the computer.

only time i use it is to test stuff once in a while to see if firefox is causing pproblems on sites that must be down (it's never been firefox's fault) and to do windows updates.

firefox rocks my world too :wub:

Harsh!
11-07-2004, 03:15 AM
My theory is why have 2 programs to do what one can??
If Im gonna have Firefox as my primary browser than I want to uninstall the abdomination called IE6 with its security risks. So if firefox cant full my requests, then its pointless having it installed

tesco
11-07-2004, 03:57 AM
My theory is why have 2 programs to do what one can??
If Im gonna have Firefox as my primary browser than I want to uninstall the abdomination called IE6 with its security risks. So if firefox cant full my requests, then its pointless having it installed
but u cant really uninstall IE since so much of it is integrated into windows. :(

and no browser other than MYIE (whatever the new name is) and IE can use windows update...

i guess u can rely on automcatic updates though. :unsure:

Harsh!
11-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Can you tell me if its possible to adjust the size of the tabbed windows? As the tabs take up a lot of real-estate

Illuminati
11-07-2004, 03:40 PM
EDIT: What i mean is if i install Firefox as my Primary browser, I want to uninstall IE and access Blindows Up-Date through Firefox...
Dont think Billy gates is gonna let that happen any time soon...

Technically, it can be removed, but it involves what I call "radical surgery" via XPlite (http://www.litepc.com).

However, remember to back up your data before trying it. ;)

Filliz
11-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Can you tell me if its possible to adjust the size of the tabbed windows? As the tabs take up a lot of real-estate

Them being so big just takes a little getting used to.
The more tabs you open the smaller they get. :01:

And here's a great theme for FireFox:Noia 2.0 (eXtreme) 2.79 (http://update.mozilla.org/themes/moreinfo.php?id=72)
I use it myself and it really looks sweet :cool:

LilAznAccommodator
11-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Technically, it can be removed, but it involves what I call "radical surgery" via XPlite (http://www.litepc.com).

However, remember to back up your data before trying it. ;)

I have heard of this program.. And I have checked out there site.. But I am unsure as to how to really use it since I saw the things it is capable of doinga nd I am scared that If I try it and do it improperly I can lose everything on my computer. . . You have any tips to safeely uninstall IE as i also plan to use FireFox as my Primary browser. . .

Also if you happen to know a link to XPLite of like how to use/ tips on it.

---Also.. Is there a way for FireFox to like AUtoBold.. Example, when you use other browsers you can simply hold Ctrl and press B to make the following letter bold.. But for FireFox I get a BookMark toolbar...